Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
Pepperoni Tony is my current favourite character. How I wish this show could be weekly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AuroMarshmallow
Jan 21, 2007

If theres anything a werewolf hates, it's a vampire- especially dumbass vampires

I don't hate that it's biweekly if only because I inevitably forget when new episodes are uploaded so it's frequently a nice surprise to find in my podcast feed.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

The show would be better if Elyse became a regular cast member or she did a Jimmy-style long-term stint.

What would the best class for a super popular horse girl be? I'm leaning towards druid.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

What would the best class for a super popular horse girl be? I'm leaning towards druid.
the upper class, obviously :haw:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

cavalier

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Gunslinger

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Stroop There It Is posted:

the upper class, obviously

ftfy

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Stroop There It Is posted:

the upper class, obviously :haw:

So a thief?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Find Steed is a Paladin spell. I'm sure Lincoln would be willing to step aside as the group's paladin to let her take his place.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I would both kill and die for Paeden

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Around 1:11 in S2E06 there's a joke about Chapstick having fiberglass or something that cuts up your lips

As I recall from growing up, this was more an accusation at Carmex because it would exfoliate your lips

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
I think Well Actually is as much based on 2022 Freddy as he is 2000s Anthony.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm finally all caught up and now I have to wait for new episodes :negative:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Who What Now posted:

I'm finally all caught up and now I have to wait for new episodes :negative:

Same! It sucks!

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
It seems to me that Anthony’s plan for the near future is to have each kid go through some emotional stuff after hearing their dad’s unfiltered feelings. It’s obvious there will be plenty of feelings when it’s Scary’s turn, but then there will be fun contrast when Taylor learns that his origin involves rock ‘n’ roll demons and time paradoxes.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Dr Christmas posted:

It seems to me that Anthony’s plan for the near future is to have each kid go through some emotional stuff after hearing their dad’s unfiltered feelings. It’s obvious there will be plenty of feelings when it’s Scary’s turn, but then there will be fun contrast when Taylor learns that his origin involves rock ‘n’ roll demons and time paradoxes.

I do want to know what Anthony's long game is in powering up Beth so much more than everyone else

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

eke out posted:

I do want to know what Anthony's long game is in powering up Beth so much more than everyone else

Running theory is her patron is Willy, he wants to be freed, the dad appearances are illusions by Willy generating the kinds of negative feelings he draws his dad magic from, opening the locks is weakening his prison so Scary is leveling up to match as he grows stronger.

As someone who had mixed feelings about the end of last season, woof. I wanted things to be more fun and loose, I didn't want Anthony to completely forget how to pace or run a D&D game (multiple times now it's become clear he doesn't even have stat blocks ready to go for the boss monsters the campaign is structured around, so what is he even prepping?).

He's kept the weakest aspects of the end of last season, like launching into maudlin character drama with absolutely no buildup, but has forgotten pretty basic things like "how to establish a setting" or "when to ask players to roll." It sucks, because there's occasional glimpses of really fun stuff, but the whole game is so loosely arranged that it's impossible to get deep into.

no this will not stop me from listening and continuing to post.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 21, 2022

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Valentin posted:

As someone who had mixed feelings about the end of last season, woof. I wanted things to be more fun and loose, I didn't want Anthony to completely forget how to pace or run a D&D game (multiple times now it's become clear he doesn't even have stat blocks ready to go for the boss monsters the campaign is structured around, so what is he even prepping?).

It's not really D&D, it's an improv audio drama with a dice roll conceit. Same with Adventure Zone, and many (most?) of the other popular podcasts. This is something I'm, personally, more than fine with, though I absolutely 100% understand why someone might want it to be more Game and less Theatre. It seems like the longer these shows go on, the refinement and streamlining and convenience for the editors they all undergo consistently brings them closer to improv theatre.

Basically, though:

Valentin posted:

no this will not stop me from listening and continuing to post.

Edit: If I had an actual complaint it would be this: I would like Freddy to kindly, and without malice, shut up. Maybe he could try not talking for 10% of the episode and work his way up to not talking for 60-70% and let his friends also have some entertaining out of character table talk opportunities.

Zutaten fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Apr 22, 2022

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Yeah the Freddy thing became most obvious when he tried to sell a cutaway joke for Taylor that wasn't going anywhere, but he doubled down and oversold it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

There was a moment in Fetch Quest when Freddie was going on about his cat character's vision about the destruction of humanity (a funny joke, but one that went on for probably 15 seconds or so too long) and Matt gently stopped him like "we get it, Freddie". He doesn't really bother me for whatever reason, but he is definitely a guy who likes to talk and be heard, I'm gathering

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Does anyone feel like this episode was a little over edited? There are very few breaths for air.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Pennsylvanian posted:

Does anyone feel like this episode was a little over edited? There are very few breaths for air.

I've felt this way for a while actually. The episodes feel so short and yet moving so fast. I relistened to season 1 and the best parts are when the dads are just going "where the gently caress are we and what is even happening, let's have a dad huddle and hash this out"

This season has some funny stuff but it feels in a hurry.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008

Jeremor posted:

I've felt this way for a while actually. The episodes feel so short and yet moving so fast. I relistened to season 1 and the best parts are when the dads are just going "where the gently caress are we and what is even happening, let's have a dad huddle and hash this out"

This season has some funny stuff but it feels in a hurry.

I have felt that way about every episode in season 2. Maybe they just aren't comfortable with the new characters yet.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah, i agree, they should let some of these breathe more, people like hanging out with and getting to know characters, and the relentless forward pace the editing sets doesn't help

they have talked about re-doing entire episodes and then using some content from the one that didn't air cut in to fill out parts, it does seem like they approach this more like editing a tv show than most podcasts do

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

eke out posted:

they have talked about re-doing entire episodes and then using some content from the one that didn't air cut in to fill out parts, it does seem like they approach this more like editing a tv show than most podcasts do
Complete with ad breaks :rimshot:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

eke out posted:

it does seem like they approach this more like editing a tv show than most podcasts do

I think at least 3 of them are TV writers, aren't they? Maybe 4, I can't remember what Anthony writes for outside of video games (not a slam on him, just me not remembering things). That makes sense now that I think about it

I haven't listened to the latest episode yet; I like season 2, but I definitely get the sense that they are heavily driven by fear of TAZing themselves and might be overcompensating a little. But I'm still having fun and look forward to every episode each week, which is more than I can say for Amnesty

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 5, 2022

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

I haven't listened to the latest episode yet; I like season 2, but I definitely get the sense that they are heavily driven by fear of TAZing themselves and might be overcompensating a little.

this is true and it's very funny because it has caused them to TAZ themselves in several ways, e.g. sudden hard swerves into melodrama, scenes having no sense of place or space. the clearest difference is that they've continued to play a deeply mangled DND instead of switching to getting MOTW wrong, which is probably ultimately a wash.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I've been enjoying the pacing and everything, but of the two actual play podcasts I listen to, the other is super-mechanical pathfinder. I've tried others but dungeons and daddies is a nice contrast to arguing for five minutes about casting dispel magic

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

I think at least 3 of them are TV writers, aren't they? Maybe 4, I can't remember what Anthony writes for outside of video games (not a slam on him, just me not remembering things). That makes sense now that I think about it

Anthony has done games, comic books, and I think TV in addition to web stuff and things like Bunkers and Badasses. Beth has a stage play and poetry book under her belt. Freddy had some experience at 20th Century Fox on top of his skits and shows. Will and Matt have mostly written for Freddy, but have been trying to sell screenplays and pilots for a long time. There could be more that I'm forgetting. So yeah you're right that most of the crew is TV and movie focused.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

I'd like more table-talk, without having to up my patreon pledge for the unedited versions, which I feel might be too much table-talk. This most recent episode had a couple good "THIS IS WILL TALKING" moments that I enjoyed

E: I guess it's difficult to find a balance between TAZ's weird choice of "all table talk is in character for some reason" and Daddies's equally weird choice to cut it all out

Zutaten fucked around with this message at 11:07 on May 7, 2022

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

I will say that this is my final plea to stop sleeping on the Patreon if you have been, because Sons and Sons Sonsability is the funniest episode of the podcast so far.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Pennsylvanian posted:

I will say that this is my final plea to stop sleeping on the Patreon if you have been, because Sons and Sons Sonsability is the funniest episode of the podcast so far.

It's a toss up between "I have big toes, too" and "shall we settle this friendship over a meal?" for best line of the episode

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Thirding, it was incredibly funny and I can’t wait for the next two. I never heard of Amanda Shuckman before this but I’m now a fan, full stop.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pennsylvanian posted:

Beth's attempted murder by ravioli was comedy gold.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Beth's attempted murder by ravioli was comedy gold.

Beth: I put the ravioli in my mouth

Anthony: ok, uh, you die

Beth: no

Just pure alpha poo poo

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Ainsley McTree posted:

Beth: I put the ravioli in my mouth

Anthony: ok, uh, you die

Beth: no

Just pure alpha poo poo

And she won!

The fact that she got away with that entire interaction being a wash instead of metaphorical (or literal) character death is an extreme testament to Beth's RP.

Also Wario. Just Wario. Everything about him as an over-the-top chef in the Regency era obsessed with winning. I hope to Christ one of them ends up with Wario.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

timp posted:

And she won!

The fact that she got away with that entire interaction being a wash instead of metaphorical (or literal) character death is an extreme testament to Beth's RP.

Also Wario. Just Wario. Everything about him as an over-the-top chef in the Regency era obsessed with winning. I hope to Christ one of them ends up with Wario.

Beth's character seems like she's got the best shot with him so far, She's-a-gonna-win his heart!

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
The characters introductions to the queen had me rolling.

They need to incorporate more guest stars. It brings the best out of them.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

"I tackle her and throw her in the carriage" was when I had to leave the room at work and take a break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinny Possum
Sep 21, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER

thecluckmeme posted:

I've been enjoying the pacing and everything, but of the two actual play podcasts I listen to, the other is super-mechanical pathfinder. I've tried others but dungeons and daddies is a nice contrast to arguing for five minutes about casting dispel magic

what podcast is this, for a friend.