Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ptolo
Oct 31, 2011

wdarkk posted:

drat that looks good, PHR looking Chris Foss as gently caress.

Thank you! I love the work of Chris Foss and how he inspired the art style of the Homeworld games (who doesn't?) so I'm happy that my meagre attempts to try making stripes for the first time look good. I knew from the first time I saw the PHR ships that I had to find the boldest colour I could to paint them in :cheeky:

Loxbourne posted:

Those UCM hangar bays are superb! Can you share the paint mix you used on the interiors?

Certainly :)
Let's see, I base coated everything in white (ceramite white or white scar) then made a light blue wash out of temple guard blue to three parts water. Citadel paints are very vibrant so I find they keep their colour even when watered down into a wash. I then went round the rim with pure white (white scar) once I'd inkwashed the outer hull with nuln oil to clean it up and make the transition standout. Hope that helps.

I was pretty much trying to replicate the lighting effect you would see on the carrier ships in the Homeworld games where the interior lighting is blown out compared to the relative darkness of space outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

A Resistance fleet with non-uniform paint schemes but a shared emblem or pattern of some sort (like, say, some distinct stripes) would be pretty rad.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Is there a TTS discord or group for DFC? I'd like to give it a shot sometime but I'm pretty averse to in person stuff.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

Tulip posted:

Is there a TTS discord or group for DFC? I'd like to give it a shot sometime but I'm pretty averse to in person stuff.

https://discord.gg/Yb7eYDEhKq
https://discord.gg/CG4R7gEe

One of those probably works. I'm still banned for arguing with the owner of TT, so I can't check. (and Louis is still an unfunny rear end in a top hat and a liar)

The discord is the best place to discuss the game I ever found. There's a mostly dormant thread on dakka, an slightly more active subreddit, a few blogs scattered about... and there's an FB group but it's a hugbox that liberally deletes anything too negative about the game and the admins are an insular gaggle of fuckers and TT employees, or both!

Other than those places, I haven't seen hide nor hair of the game being discussed online in recent years.

Slyphic fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Mar 29, 2022

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Slyphic posted:

https://discord.gg/Yb7eYDEhKq
https://discord.gg/CG4R7gEe

One of those probably works. I'm still banned for arguing with the owner of TT, so I can't check. (and Louis is still an unfunny)

The discord is the best place to discuss the game I ever found. There's a mostly dormant thread on dakka, an slightly more active subreddit, a few blogs scattered about... and there's an FB group but it's a hugbox that liberally deletes anything too negative about the game and the admins are an insular gaggle of fuckers and TT employees, or both!

Other than those places, I haven't seen hide nor hair of the game being discussed online in recent years.

thank you very much!

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Nice spaceships! I have about half of my Shaltari built, primed and sat in a box. The hobby guilt is real.

In other news, new behemoth bits teaser.. If they are painting it, then a release must actually be getting relatively close....

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

They might have changed what weapons the behemoths will have, that Scourge gun with the pustule things looks like the bio-artillery on one of the crabs but the book mentions either a giant plasma gun or an electric weapon. Unless those blobs are just generic Scourge decorative effects now.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Sojenus posted:

They might have changed what weapons the behemoths will have, that Scourge gun with the pustule things looks like the bio-artillery on one of the crabs but the book mentions either a giant plasma gun or an electric weapon. Unless those blobs are just generic Scourge decorative effects now.

I'm betting new weapons. It's been sooooooo long, they had ample time to tinker with the renders.

From the beta rules 'leak', the Scourge Behemoth had Energy Cyclone Projector + Heavy Plasma Cannons or Arc Maw + Arc Lances on the top half of the model, and Seeker Lashes/Surging Lashes on the bottom.

First pic is almost certainly the Arc Lances. But I'm not seeing any of the other weapons in that last picture. Plus, TTC loves to 'tease' stuff like that.

I'm excited for them to get Behemoths out of their system so they can move on to cool stuff like factional command cards or DFC factional launch assets that won't ruin the game. And I'll eat my hat if Behemoths aren't a broken mess. The Harpocrates, Parasite, Arrowhead, Patton and Flail should be ample evidence they have no real clue how to design for these game, and aren't testing poo poo at all.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Slyphic posted:

First pic is almost certainly the Arc Lances. But I'm not seeing any of the other weapons in that last picture. Plus, TTC loves to 'tease' stuff like that.

Looks like heavy plasma cannons in the picture too. It does kind of camouflage into the paint bottles!

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
A tale in two pictures:

There's a 5 minute difference between when I received those two e-mails.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

PHR behemoth stats are mostly out - https://community.ttcombat.com/2022/04/21/the-chronus-walks-forth/

It doesn't look all that different from the beta unit that leaked.

Which is a really bad sign. The playtesters from back when TTC had them said they were horribly unbalancing to the game, unfun to play with, and just generally did not work in Dropzone.

Well poo poo.

Also, guess TTC were lying when they said, back when the beta stats leaked, that the release stats would be substantially different.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I've always been viewing them as collectors prices. It's like titans in 40k, impressive models, but in no way practiable.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Grey Hunter posted:

I've always been viewing them as collectors prices. It's like titans in 40k, impressive models, but in no way practiable.

Which is an approach I'd be fine with. Or tie them to scenarios, 'Sink the Bismark'. But from all sources, TT has been adamantly intent on cramming them into the regular game, no matter how much it distorts the rest of the units. The playtest group said the only workable solution they found was to do something like 40k Apocalypse, where you scale formations up and make it a separate game mode.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Wasn't the laser version fairly different? Direct and area alt attacks, and no overcharge or nanomachine abilities from what I remember.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Given that it is 500pts, can't play any objective game, can't hold your commander or have command cards played on it and may not be on the board turn 1, it does need to pack enough punch to make its cost back.

I'm still on the fence about them. It's the sort of big attention grabber that might actually inspire some people to give the game a go. So long as they don't dominate the meta I'm fine with that.

What I don't want to see is the average game turn into 2000 points or more and just add these things on top of a regular army.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Kingsly Distribution has the prices up already.

£95 MSRP

That's not a price that entices people into a game. These things are solidly for the whales.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
To be fair, the starter boxes are great value.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Slyphic posted:

Kingsly Distribution has the prices up already.

£95 MSRP

That's not a price that entices people into a game. These things are solidly for the whales.

That's about twice most Dreadnoughts, which I always considered a pretty decent value for an army centerpiece.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

wdarkk posted:

That's about twice most Dreadnoughts, which I always considered a pretty decent value for an army centerpiece.
I really want to see one next to a dread, because they seem like they're quite a bit bigger than them. I was really expecting only slightly more than the Resistance dread, so like £70-75.

£95 is the price of a starter, armor expansion box, and at least two more blisters of units.

I'm not going to say I expected better of them, because I don't at this point, but I'm still rather disappointed.

For once, they're claiming they actually playtested these units (I refuse to believe they ever actually tried to use a Flail in a real game) so this represents the height of their abilities as game designers. 90% chance of DZC game this weekend, and we're definitely proxying one or more of these bastards, because there's novelty in marveling at a dumpster fire before walking away.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

It's a higher price point than I hoped, but not surprised. I was thinking it would be close to a hundred than fifty. Probably cheaper than GW would have charged and they probably don't expect to sell them by the hundred. And there's the fact that the cost of everything is soaring so stuff just costs more than it did two years ago.

I dunno, it may be that they are too big and expensive for most players to bother with and they end up being a rarity anyway.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Scourge stuff is up - https://community.ttcombat.com/2022/04/22/scourge-behemoth-sighted/

I hate Focus. It's pointless extraneous dice rolling and doesn't make sense within the context of all the weapons in the game that fire more than one round but have a high Energy value. You know what outcome you want when you pick a target, figuring out the optimal energy to shots ratio is some boring probability work.

But this is from the guy who unironically redesigned the Napoleon to roll more dice because that would make it more fun.

A 13 seems like a mistake. The armor drop, despite Resilient, on my big crabs has seen them dying much earlier in games. This thing is going to get worked like a speed bag. Hell, I've had a group of 6 Ronin kill an undamaged Oppressor in one volley on turn 2 TWICE in the last 4 months.

And as little as I respect TTC's design team, I never actually expected them to not give something like the Crocodile Dev-X(Behemoths) but after reading that article... whoo boy. Fingers crossed it's just Lewis forgetting how to play his own game or something.

They can't be that incompetent, can they?

Can they?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Well first retailer I've seen to list Behemoths is Goblin Gaming for £80.75.

I'm guessing the smaller behemoth class, whenever they happen, are going to end up around £40-50.

Guess time will tell how often they see the table.

On focus, last time I played I had a Hades and a Nemesis alpha striked off the table on consecutive turns by a squad of scourge gunships. It was kinda broken.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Ugleb posted:

On focus, last time I played I had a Hades and a Nemesis alpha striked off the table on consecutive turns by a squad of scourge gunships. It was kinda broken.

3 out of the last 4 games we've played, a Frostdrake has one-shot a Hades on turn 2. In one game, it got a Hades AND a nemesis by turn 3.

Really the Type-4s have, and the Scourge big crab walkers, have largely failed to impress. Especially the Type-4s because of the cost of transportation plus there's no longer a Heavies only BG, so they have this standard unit tax attached.

All the Force Org changes since launch have been bad ones.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

We had a game scheduled for the weekend before TTC even started hyping Behemoths, so we made a last minute force tweak and tried one out in a game.

https://yadzcb.friestman.net/behemoths-released.html

Lotta words and pics.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

The correct method for determining the range of the explosion was to open the tin, heat it with kernels inside, and inflict the E10 hits where the popcorn lands.

Seems like the drop harness damage set off the rapid downward cascade for it, wonder how it would have played out if it walked on or dropped onto less units instead?

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Sojenus posted:

Seems like the drop harness damage set off the rapid downward cascade for it, wonder how it would have played out if it walked on or dropped onto less units instead?
The harness is super swingy. It attacks squads, but the more poorly it rolls the more damage it takes. It's actually less effective vs trash squads of small vehicles. I can't figure out what exactly is supposed to be going on while you're using that rule that both dealing and taking damage should be happening. But it's also moot because we'll certainly never use that method again.

We'd maybe try one more proxy of another faction's, just to compare. Eh, we're more concerned with fixing the core rules to work better with the units we actually have and play with.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Arch-nemesis of the white sphere: the orange triangle.

Also nifty.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I rather like those. The 32mm Scourge obviously begs the question are TTCombat still considering Dropverse skirmish game, or is it just a cool thing?

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Only related, but TTC have got themselves into a good ol' fashion internet slap fight. Easy reading links here -> https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3849301&pagenumber=866

I seriously wonder if all the angry ex-Hawk employees went through something similar when TTC bought them out. It would explain a lot.

I'm still giggling over:

Justin, owner Secret Weapon Games posted:

Mr. Simpson [owner of TTC] opens his public statement by saying that he has not read the statements that he is responding to. That’s a weird flex, but I guess it was too difficult for him to read, so away we go…

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
That’s very unfortunate. I’ve always felt a little wary of TTC since the push to using their web system for everything.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

There's a huge amount of he said she said in this. I suspect both sides have made mistakes but some things line up.

I have suspected for awhile that TTCombat were working on launching their own paint line, the spray primer colours and brushes just felt like they were building to it. Buying up Secret Weapon to achieve that makes sense.

Also having a stronger USA presence makes a lot of sense, turning Secret Weapon into the core of their North America division would also make sense.

Why that is apparently falling through? Dunno.

I have always disliked how they marketed the transition of acquiring Hawk. They never missed an opportunity to blame any delays or issues getting Dropzone/fleet going again on the defunct Hawk operation and paint themselves as the cavalry sweeping in to make good.

Does that go so far as validating this trainwreck? I honestly dunno. I've had very little interaction with their staff to get a read on them.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Ugleb posted:

There's a huge amount of he said she said in this. I suspect both sides have made mistakes but some things line up.
They're both small businesses, this is sadly pretty normal B2B wheeling and dealing. There's almost certainly fault on both sides.
TTC coming out with a personal insult in their response, which they published on their website, was some seriously amateur hour poo poo.

Ugleb posted:

I've had very little interaction with their staff to get a read on them.
The regular staff I've talked to have all been fine (their former web de Chris was a cool dude, their US rep is chill and helpful), but their managers have all been huge assholes. Smarmy duplicitous assholes.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

quote:

The Troll Trader stream is having a special guest tomorrow. The Creator of the Drop-Universe, Dave Lewis will be painting up a tank from the Space Halfling Kickstarter and answering your questions.
8:30AM until finished.
https://www.twitch.tv/trolltrader
Time to politely word all my many Dropzone questions and see how long it takes to get kicked from the stream.

Rough list:
What's the internal meta like? Quick Battle Report of the last game you played or saw played at TTC?
How are y'all using Polecat Buggies, I can't tell what niche they're supposed to fill?
I can't figure out how to use the Flail effectively, what am I doing wrong?
When will PHR get mixed walker squads back?
Why does the Circe skimmer not get the Devastator bonus against walkers?
How does the Constantine tank work, narratively? What's it doing with the orange shield thing on the turret?
Why do Bomb Buses have to pause an entire turn to blow up, and why can't they damage buildings?
Do Ronin have Resilient or not, we can't tell because the builder and cards say different things?

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Shame it'll be at 4:30 in the morning here, I'll never get to ask him how snuggly Pungari are.

Edit: For a serious question, something I'd be curious to hear from him is thoughts on the expansion in scale of the narrative. The background initially focused on a handful of worlds, but there's small mentions now suggesting interactions with a neighboring galaxy, which is a massive jump in scale. Keeping the UCM particularly relevant in a broadening universe seems a narrative challenge.

I don't think getting too specific with game mechanic questions will get much, but it would be interesting to hear the degree of control and influence he has over them now.

Sojenus fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 4, 2022

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Last I heard Dave was pretty much removed from the rules writing. Hopefully that is changing now that he has been at TTCombat awhile.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Dave, gushing behind the studio Shaltari Behemoth. (Which came out BTW)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOeEF6ev7hk

I hope between this video, the twitch stream, and the PHR PDF, we're at the dawn of the third era of Dropzone with Dave back championing the game.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

A bit of passion for the game has been missing from TTCombat for sure. It has felt like that they are maintaing the game but not pushing it.

I'll probably never own one of those, but if I did I would want it climbing over something with a base that acts as a spread template. Then pray that they never change it. I think it is crying out for a pose that uses the articulation.

What PHR PDF?

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Ugleb posted:

What PHR PDF?

Dave made a blog post about building and painting his own personal PHR behemoth model which for some inexplicable reason is a PDF.

I haven't done much of anything with zone in months now, but we've been getting in games of Fleet. Finally scored one of the sets of expansion monorail track TrollTrader has been auctioning on eBay for sufficiently cheap to be excited about it. Did you know the pieces use weird cast chunks of metal for bases?

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

https://community.ttcombat.com/2022/09/07/wip-wednesday-new-ships-spotted-on-the-horizon/

TTC has a new sculpt of the Rio they're teasing. Calling it a 'Titania' pattern, which for zone meant the old patterns went OoP. Considering it's resin and I hate it and TTC is a bunch of tightwads, I think this is the first alarm they're abandoning the plastic sprues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I dunno if they would totally ditch them, but the comment about being 'visually distinct' suggests that they think similar looking classes is a potential problem.

It may also be that they are struggling to come up with relevant new classes so are going for diversity through alt-sculpts instead.