Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I find it amusing the Undisputed Elite are now hanging out with a guy who keeps talking about how it's his Era :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Cerebral Bore posted:

What makes it even more funny is that a whole bunch of AEW guys are ex-NJPW and have literal years of previous storylines that you could refer to in the buildup.

No don't you get it, things that happened in other companies don't count because nobody watches anything. The only RIGHT way to build to a pay per view is to just do the pay per view matches 12 times in the weeks leading it up to with every possible combination of gently caress finish with constant unending recaps in between!!!

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Cerebral Bore posted:

What makes it even more funny is that a whole bunch of AEW guys are ex-NJPW and have literal years of previous storylines that you could refer to in the buildup.

Mox literally just called out Tanahashi before this announcement was made, on top of KENTA screaming about a match with CM Punk match forever. Adam Cole keeps associating with Switchblade in the same stable Kenny Omega is related to. MiSu literally just had a match with Samoa Joe on the same show! Thats just the beginning you have to not watch or care about anything to think this is just some short build.

Especially if you're simping for the fed

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Something that I find incredibly hilarious is that the Impact diehards both insist that AEW did nothing for them while also begging for Impact to be involved with the Super Show or really any crossover show that AEW might run.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Mox literally just called out Tanahashi before this announcement was made, on top of KENTA screaming about a match with CM Punk match forever. Adam Cole keeps associating with Switchblade in the same stable Kenny Omega is related to. MiSu literally just had a match with Samoa Joe on the same show! Thats just the beginning you have to not watch or care about anything to think this is just some short build.

Especially if you're simping for the fed

AEW now has the founding member of Los Ingobernables in a prominent faction-leading role, that's a stable feud that writes itself. You could get Bryan in a dream match with half a dozen guys in seconds. Rocky has been representing Chaos on AEW shows for months. Mox had a match against Ospreay with a screwy finish where Ospreay could very easily push for a rematch (BCC vs Empire as a lead-up feels obvious). Eddie Kingston has a match coming up against Ishii on a New Japan show next month. In fact, the fact that AEW guys are rotating in and out of Strong and the big US shows means that there are loads of existing story strands you could pick up and new story strands you could craft.

Plus between then and now you have the whole of Best Of Super Jrs (Get Dante on a plane immediately), you have Wrestling Dontaku, you have New Japan's DC show, you have Double Or Nothing, you have Dominion, and you have weekly Dynamites and Rampages. Yes, both companies have other poo poo going on, but good booking is about weaving story threads together.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Exactly

The cope feels hard. Like, the thing that's happening in the genre you care about doesn't matter because Cable News can make more money.

Cool I don't care

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Lamuella posted:

You could get Bryan in a dream match with half a dozen guys in seconds.

Danielson took the Best Technical Wrestler that is now named after him for the first time in a decade. ZSJ who held the award for the entirety of that time beat Shingo and then cut a promo afterwards saying "That's the Japanese Dragon taken care of. Now for the American one."

You absolutely don't need much time to build to a match where you have two of the best (if not _the_ two best) technical wrestlers in the world and ten years of frustration from one of them knowing that he was always seen as the number two in the world.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Exactly

The cope feels hard. Like, the thing that's happening in the genre you care about doesn't matter because Cable News can make more money.

Cool I don't care

Gonna start applying WWE fan logic to other forms of media.

Please look forward to my review of next week's Better Call Saul where I'll say even though I enjoyed the episode, adding a laugh track, toning down the violence and switching from a serial to a procedural format to draw in the casual fans is the direction they must go.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Gonna start applying WWE fan logic to other forms of media.

Please look forward to my review of next week's Better Call Saul where I'll say even though I enjoyed the episode, adding a laugh track, toning down the violence and switching from a serial to a procedural format to draw in the casual fans is the direction they must go.

See the thing is it actually should be a procedural about Jimmy and company getting into scheme related scrapes

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
To my mind, the only thing that AEW has rushed was Adam Cole challenging for the title on PPV and even that came good with the Texas Death match

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
Very few people watch NJPW in the US and only know about the fueds tangentially. Forbidden Door is more of a play to the Japanese audience than American.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The dream match is Tanahashi v Cena

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Oil! posted:

Very few people watch NJPW in the US and only know about the fueds tangentially. Forbidden Door is more of a play to the Japanese audience than American.

This show will be a Day 1 sellout of the United Center which even The First Dance didn't do. It's as much for the US audience as Japanese expansion. Fans don't need to be completely familiar with something to get excited about something, especially when other people get excited about it.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Oil! posted:

Very few people watch AEW in Japan and only know about the fueds tangentially. Forbidden Door is more of a play to the American audience than Japanese.

is equally true

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

I watch dynamite with 5 people and only me and one other person has any idea of NJPW. I was pumped for dream matches my other friends were pumped for a big aew show.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Bryan Danielson vs Great-O-Khan is something I didn't know I wanted until now.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Best way to get people pumped for New Japan is to show New Japan guys doing cool poo poo. I guarantee after tonight there will be a hell of a lot more Ishii fans in the US.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Blue Justice in AEW is a must cop for wrestling fans

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/ThisIsNasty/status/1517523168524574725

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cool that he literally ignores women saying they're excited for Forbidden Door.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

He's really doubling down on that, isn't he? (For those who missed it, he was called out by a bunch of women on Weds when he said the AEW-NJPW deal appeals to the male fanbase)

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

He already got dragged by women for this stupid take. He's just a pain pig at this point.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

No, dig up stupid

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Tony just send this dude some bologna already and free us all from this cringe

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
There's a reply to that tweet where someone's like "AEW desperately needs to cater to as many people as possible so they can stay in that 1 million viewer safe zone"

Where the gently caress do these people get the idea that 1 Million is the Legally Mandated Viewer Count that ALL wrestling shows MUST meet or they'll be immediately cancelled?

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

I like that he used a bathroom door to represent women

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Drakkel posted:

There's a reply to that tweet where someone's like "AEW desperately needs to cater to as many people as possible so they can stay in that 1 million viewer safe zone"

Where the gently caress do these people get the idea that 1 Million is the Legally Mandated Viewer Count that ALL wrestling shows MUST meet or they'll be immediately cancelled?

they unironically listen to Vince Russo

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Konuwa is always trying to farm engagement and it usually never works; I think we should ignore him more often

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

IceAgeComing posted:

Konuwa is always trying to farm engagement and it usually never works; I think we should ignore him more often

Alfred is the only person who actually tries to come up with original angles for his anti-AEW stuff and it makes him much more entertaining than a million Jobber Nation or Gareth tweets all saying the same thing. The bad faith actors all rushed to say "AEW is only appealing to the hardcores!" but he sat back and thought about an original angle, and came upon this.

He also seems to genuinely enjoy watching AEW which makes him more interesting still.

Who could come up with an angle like this?

https://twitter.com/ThisIsNasty/status/730850376681852928

(the link no longer goes to that article but you can find it if you want.)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
That video was certainly a trip. Probably shouldn't give it clicks, but it was quite entertaining how unhinged and chauvinistic (oh, the irony) it was.

"The vast majority of the women who are excited about this Male Hardcore Wrestling Fan Spectacular cover wrestling professionally. And judging by how hardcore wrestling fans treat women on social media, it's no wonder some women feel they need to take that extra step to earn their stripes by working in this business just to prove how much they love wrestling, which is obviously unfair."

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

All the women in New Japan crowds screaming for Ibushi and Naito and Tanahashi are industry plants is certainly a take.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

women are only pretending to like wrestling in order to prove how much they like wrestling against accusations by people who aren't me that they don't actually like wrestling

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I can't see a single reason why women would be into handsome bishie boy in his underwear Kota Ibushi

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"Fake wrestling girl!" I tweet at every account telling me they are a woman excited to watch Hidden Door

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

Oh, you like wrestling? Name every guy you're trying to impress by pretending you like wrestling.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Everyone knows women only like things that are not feminine to impress men. Gloria Steinem taught me that.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/TennesseeLee88/status/1517471088258736132

Puppy Doll
Dec 20, 2011

Hey everybody!
The implication that the Sammy/Tay story is one of the only things in AEW that women would care about is so goddamn sexist. This dude really thinks the only stories women would be interested in are romance, regardless of quality.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Alfred strikes me as the kind of guy who only cares about the kind of oppression that effects him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Pylons posted:

All the women in New Japan crowds screaming for Ibushi and Naito and Tanahashi are industry plants is certainly a take.

I hope New Japan has clap crowds forever so I don't have to hear Naito said at various intonations and volumes at random parts of the arena constantly