Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Yeah the twitch drop ships came in handy for the expedition. The hauler has a ton of slots to start with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

It's nice to fire up NMS after a break and see all the new stuff they've added. For a game that will soon be 6 years old to be putting out huge free updates is pretty nuts.

Anyway, I decided to do my first Perma-Death run, and things are going smoothly so far. The only real pain in the rear end has been the insane frequency of pirate attacks.
Whenever I land at a building or trading post, within minutes there's ships swooping in to attack. Doesn't seem to matter what the system's Conflict level is either. I haven't bothered doing the Settlement missions, because I can't keep the air clear of attackers for more than a minute or two.

The upside is that ship to ship combat has been pretty easy. Locking on has made chasing ships down much easier, and my Fighter has just been clowning on everybody. Cyclotron to quickly pop the shield, then swap over to Missiles for a quick 1-shot on most ships.

Once I come across another Portal, I'm going to warp as close to the galactic centre as I can, and net that trophy.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Yeah I just got the game last week and it seems really cool but I think I'm going to take a break from it until this pirate attack thing is patched. I literally can't go more than sometimes it seems like two or three minutes without another warning and stuff just randomly shooting at me and it really gets in the way of needing to go out and dig up data course and explore and things like that when I'm constantly having to go back to the ship and fly around and burn up thruster fuel each time.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Since the last update I actually haven't seen a single pirate attack and I spent a bit of time fishing for a solar ship in a pirate system, so I'm super curious if y'all are on a platform that hasn't been patched yet or there's something else fucky going on

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Since the last update I actually haven't seen a single pirate attack and I spent a bit of time fishing for a solar ship in a pirate system, so I'm super curious if y'all are on a platform that hasn't been patched yet or there's something else fucky going on

I'm on PC, it's near constant, literally not worth doing the save/restart trick all that much given how often it just keeps coming back.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

That Works posted:

I'm on PC, it's near constant, literally not worth doing the save/restart trick all that much given how often it just keeps coming back.

Yeah no for sure, it's just weird as hell that you're still seeing them when they've all but vanished for me. I'd maybe try hopping around systems and see if that kicks it loose or something, assuming your game is fully patched otherwise

also new patch

Shockeh posted:

My Expedition seems to be hosed.

I got the Freighter fight, killed all the Pirates, then just as I was going to dock, someone else jumped in, their freighter spawned, and it seems like mine reset to '30 mil credits please'. Problem is, now I can't get another one to spawn.

as of 3.88,

quote:

Fixed an issue that could cause the Liberation expedition milestone to become unfinishable if players declined to speak fully to the captain of the first freighter they saved.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I think they also fixed your jetpack clipping through the cape if that's what fixing "cape visuals" refers to.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Maybe they'll give us some land-based turrets or something to blast down these constant pirate attacks. I'm on PC as well and I swear within two minutes of landing, pirates show up and start annoying everyone. It's even worse if you have to travel somewhere, because "s", which is "slow down/reverse" in ship controls, doubles as, "autofollow ships" and for some reason its really difficult to land while pirates are around.

All in all, pirates are kind of neat but also a huge pain in the rear end.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Vasler posted:

Maybe they'll give us some land-based turrets or something to blast down these constant pirate attacks. I'm on PC as well and I swear within two minutes of landing, pirates show up and start annoying everyone. It's even worse if you have to travel somewhere, because "s", which is "slow down/reverse" in ship controls, doubles as, "autofollow ships" and for some reason its really difficult to land while pirates are around.

All in all, pirates are kind of neat but also a huge pain in the rear end.

Yeah the pirates were cool the 1st 3-4 times I fought them and got some early cash doing it. Now I have killed them about 30 times and its just an annoying chore.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

The latest patch update made it to where the conflict level of that system impacts the frequency of pirate attacks. You might want to move to a one-star conflict system instead.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Yeah I'm not seeing the constant attacks any more, definitely check the rating of your system.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

From someone who's 4 hours into the game just recently set down my first walls for a tiny base: generally how far off am I from my ultimate goal, which is building a freighter?

I don't care if it's a long time (kind of prefer that, makes it special), I just currently have no clue how to gauge the length of progression in this game.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

You don't build a freighter, you get one for free after a few hyperjumps and killing some pirates attacking a freighter. You can build on it, though.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

You don't build a freighter, you get one for free after a few hyperjumps and killing some pirates attacking a freighter. You can build on it, though.

Understood. Thanks!

I got confused because I'm sort of half watching someone build theirs and the title of the video is 'How to build a freighter base', and I missed that last word there.

Does having a freighter base make planetary bases obsolete? Also, I'm assuming you can pilot your freighter freely?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

There are some things you can't build on a freighter that you can only build on land, for example exocraft stations. Planetary bases also give you the ability to get back to a fixed spot, e.g. next to a portal.

Freighters can warp system-to-system but they can't be piloted around within a system and they certainly can't land anywhere. You summon them in to hang out in a place of your choosing, similar to the anomaly.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

So I finally got the 1st freighter mission, warped into a system in the middle of a battle, killed all the pirates... then nothing. I flew around the freighters under attack for a bit and nothing happened. What do?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That Works posted:

So I finally got the 1st freighter mission, warped into a system in the middle of a battle, killed all the pirates... then nothing. I flew around the freighters under attack for a bit and nothing happened. What do?

You’re meant to receive a communication request after the battle which will be an indication from the freighter captain to board it. Comes in general are kinda wack where the notification isn’t very clear and you need to go into the sub-menu (x I think on PC?) then select accept communication.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

That Works posted:

You have to land on the capital ship (the tractor beam thing turns blue), run to the cockpit and talk to the guy sitting there.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

explosivo posted:

You have to land on the capital ship (the tractor beam thing turns blue), run to the cockpit and talk to the guy sitting there.

Right but where / how? I flew around the 2 ships near my for a while and didn't see an entrance that was remotely obvious.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That Works posted:

Right but where / how? I flew around the 2 ships near my for a while and didn't see an entrance that was remotely obvious.

Did you receive/answer the message? It’ll start a whole “quest” for the process and selecting it from the log will mark the freighter and its dock.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

That Works posted:

possible you were looking at frigates and not a freighter?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Did you receive/answer the message? It’ll start a whole “quest” for the process and selecting it from the log will mark the freighter and its dock.

I never got a message. I did dock at a station and then came back out and flew around the ships and one finally did have a dock open. So I got the freighter!

I quickly built the fleet command room in it though and am locked out of it by a giant steel plate covering the top half of the door :headslap:

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

That Works posted:

I never got a message. I did dock at a station and then came back out and flew around the ships and one finally did have a dock open. So I got the freighter!

I quickly built the fleet command room in it though and am locked out of it by a giant steel plate covering the top half of the door :headslap:

Go in to edit objects mode in the build menu and remove that one piece blocking you. Happened to me on my first fleet command room as well.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

That Works posted:

I had the exact same experience. Like the poster above said, you can move anything even after it's been placed.

Also, don't build two rooms on the same corner, otherwise they will occupy the same location and not work right.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Building on freighters historically is...sometimes touchy.

Basically make sure you manually save every once in a while just in case case you fall through a floor, maybe build in orbit around a planet just in case you end up going for an unintentional sky dive, especially if you're doing a lot of room modification (vs just putting objects in existing rooms)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Been having a lot of situations where my whole capital ship turns invisible trying to fly into the entrance from a weird angle. The only way to fix it is to pulse drive somewhere else then call the fleet to that location. It's weirdly particular about how you fly into that but it won't stop me from trying to do it at a perpendicular angle just to see it whip me around and inside the hangar.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The new combat update sure made space combat hard in VR, there's zero lock-on and with how touchy the stick is it's a nightmare to try to stay on target.

On the other hand I encountered a tornado for the first time and being flung around by that in VR was pretty fun!

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Stare-Out posted:

The new combat update sure made space combat hard in VR, there's zero lock-on and with how touchy the stick is it's a nightmare to try to stay on target.

On the other hand I encountered a tornado for the first time and being flung around by that in VR was pretty fun!

Did you enable the auto follow option in the menu first? Once it's enabled you still need to press whatever your equivalent to square on PlayStation is to follow your selected target.

I haven't played this update yet in VR, and I was curious if auto follow actually helped.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

explosivo posted:

Been having a lot of situations where my whole capital ship turns invisible trying to fly into the entrance from a weird angle. The only way to fix it is to pulse drive somewhere else then call the fleet to that location. It's weirdly particular about how you fly into that but it won't stop me from trying to do it at a perpendicular angle just to see it whip me around and inside the hangar.

I've been getting this as well, but my favorite thing was when my pulse engine stuck me inside the freighter geometry. Any direction I tried to move damaged me and I couldn't get my freighter to jump away. Eventually was able to warp my own ship away after assembling a warp cell, and when I warped back a few seconds later there was a sentinel carrier that wasn't there before blasting the poo poo out of everything. First time I'd seen one of those and I had no idea what to do.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

CaptainSkinny posted:

Did you enable the auto follow option in the menu first? Once it's enabled you still need to press whatever your equivalent to square on PlayStation is to follow your selected target.

I haven't played this update yet in VR, and I was curious if auto follow actually helped.

I'm on Playstation. Just that the PS5 (flat) version had it enabled by default so I figured it would be in the PS4 (VR) version too but it wasn't. Might be a comfort thing so your view doesn't whip around following a target without your input or something, I don't know.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So, are there any ships that I can both pilot AND hang around inside of, doing things other than sitting in the cockpit?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So, are there any ships that I can both pilot AND hang around inside of, doing things other than sitting in the cockpit?

No, freighters are the only ships you can run around in and you can't directly pilot them.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

explosivo posted:

No, freighters are the only ships you can run around in and you can't directly pilot them.

Thanks, I figured but thought I'd ask to make sure.

That's my ultimate space game wish: a flying, pilot-able Space House.

Edit: No, I don't want to hear about Star Citizen.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I think you can do that in X4 which has a humble bundle going on right now. I don't know to what extent you can actually do things inside the ships though.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

THF13 posted:

I think you can do that in X4 which has a humble bundle going on right now. I don't know to what extent you can actually do things inside the ships though.

You can walk around inside the ship while an npc pilots executes the orders you gave it. You can do all the other stuff in the game while walking around the ship, like giving orders to your various ships and such. You can also do that same stuff walking around on a station if you want. Whether it's actually a good game is debatable. I mostly prefer X3, usually, though it doesn't have the walk around ships bit. Still haven't tried the latest update, so maybe it's better now.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
X4 really is the highest tier for "pilotable big walkabout ships" imo, standing on the deck of even a medium ship with a fighter docked felt pretty goddamn ridiculous the first time, let alone "standing on your XL fleet carrier with 30 fighters taking off" if only because so few other games give you the opportunity to feel the scale of fuckoff-big ships like that. The actual interiors of the very large ships "vary" in terms of scale; most of them you've basically got the bridge, the fighter deck, and not much else, but there are also mods that exist that expand the available interior space (which you can really easily cheat/mod in since getting around the ship is just "via magic elevator").

The most recent DLC also added a ship that's only a medium but extremely plays up the rich rear end in a top hat in a schwanky space yacht factor if that appeals

All that said, all currently-existing space sims really boil down to "which flavor of absolute jank do you feel like putting up with today for the unique features that specific game happens to deliver"-- I've dumped way too much time into X4, NMS, and Elite Dangerous at this point and they all definitely scratch different itches, even in the places where they ostensibly overlap

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 22, 2022

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Have you given Subnautica a try? It's underwater exploration instead of space, but you can get a sweet sub that acts as a mobile base.

Back to NMS, my game updated to the latest patch after my last post, so I'll see how my pirate problem goes now.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

The Zombie Guy posted:

Have you given Subnautica a try? It's underwater exploration instead of space, but you can get a sweet sub that acts as a mobile base.

Back to NMS, my game updated to the latest patch after my last post, so I'll see how my pirate problem goes now.

I forgot about subnautica, that scratches an itch too-- until you put the wrong thing in the wrong spot in your sub and the entire thing does a physics out of the ocean and into the sky and kills you

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Has anyone played this in co-op with a friend and had a good time with it? I remember trying this a while back with one of my friends and it was just awkwardly warping around to the same places and struggling to figure out what exactly we could do that would be fun. This has to have been 2 years or more ago though so have they improved the co-op experience?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Thanks, I figured but thought I'd ask to make sure.

That's my ultimate space game wish: a flying, pilot-able Space House.

Edit: No, I don't want to hear about Star Citizen.

I love that this is one of the biggest thing Elite Dangerous fans have wanted and they wanted ahead added a whole expansion of on-foot stuff to do EXCEPT hanging inside y own loving ship.