Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
how

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

you almost got all the way through without me foiling your scheme! that'll be enough single word posts from you!!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Northman owns go see it. We need more movies like this and less mouse bullshit.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

How Dark Souls is The Northman?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Pretty high lots of amazing views ahead, inscrutable gods, and people getting hosed up

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Excellent, it looked pretty Dark Soulsy

https://i.imgur.com/I2uqw9s.mp4
Sound

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Sonic 2 was a good movie.

I saw it in an almost empty theater but in my mind it would have been worth it to risk a half-empty theater

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Finished Final Fantasy IX. Its one of squaresofts best games ever.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's the best actually

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I have like just Chrono Cross left and I will have finished all of Squares PS1 era JRPGS.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

How did you like Racing Lagoon?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

I said come in! posted:

I get to play some more tonight!

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Did you like Vagrant Story?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

I said come in! posted:

:hai:

VideoGames posted:

I get to play some more tonight!

:woop:

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I said come in! posted:

I have like just Chrono Cross left and I will have finished all of Squares PS1 era JRPGS.

How was Soukaigi?

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Vermain posted:

40 alonne knights swarming you the instant you put one foot in iron keep, all of them making the troll face and saying "problem?"

The only way I could get through Smelter Knight was to die so many times they stopped coming for me

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I just hit iron keep and the infinite conga of alonne knights is bad, but I forgot that you get invaded then immediately invadeded again and they had not figured out invasion rewards yet.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s loving bizarre to me that the Lost Levels version of DS2 is just the default way of playing unless you go out of your way to play the original. Like, even from a financial standpoint you could just have made Base Dark Souls PS3/360 With The DLC the default option and sold current Scholar as a DLC pack.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's not that much harder

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Asking souls aficionados itt. What's, better? Base ds2 or scholars

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Scholars, the only thing it does worse than base is give you a warning when you enter the gender change coffin

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Sakurazuka posted:

Scholars, the only thing it does worse than base is give you a warning when you enter the gender change coffin

I'll have to double check, but I didn't notice any warnings.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its been too long but I think base DS2 was better to play (and access the DLC) while Scholar has more complete and different item descriptions. There are some little touches in scholar that are improvements like a few item locations or making some areas instantly visible versus needing to use a pharros lockstone at first but like, this enemy spam is bad in spots.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Asking souls aficionados itt. What's, better? Base ds2 or scholars

Only ever played Scholars, but it is my favourite of the Dark Souls Trilogy by a long way.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I haven't played a Warriors game in a long time and Hyrule Warriors 2 isn't as engaging as I remember them being

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I remember how excited I was for Dark Souls 3 and woooooof that went bad fast.

I do wish that Dark Souls 2's ending and Dark Souls 3 world had swapped and the other way as well. Dark Souls 2 feels like an extremely definitive end point setting wise, but its ending is wishy open endedness while DS3 (after DLC at least) has the actual answer to the Dark Souls question.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Genuine question, what was so bad about DS3 for you? I think it’s probably my favorite Soulsborne besides ER for the level design being so strong, but I do see how it could be disappointing to have “Bloodborne but the game isn’t fundamentally built for encouraging more action focused gameplay” even if it wasn’t a dealbreaker for me.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1517488682701369344?s=20&t=V8PZEx9uNoVAmZvYbEisTQ

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Love 2 splat

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Me: Maybe I will finally get Elden Ring in September for my birthday

Splatoon 3: (Comes out a week before my birthday)

Alas

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Splat all day every day

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its a lot of various things. Its an actiony ramped up game without the mechanical backing for it, the setting of the game makes sense as a direct sequel but its attempt to be after Dark Souls 2 makes it come off as an apology tour for what is pretty much the best thing DS2 has going for it, it has some really poor weapon balancing mixed with its very focused linearity, and main bosses rely a lot on gimmicks and some of them are hard whiffs. It also feels like its main thesis of "what is the ending of dark souls" only exists in the DLC and thats real good but that aint the game that launched

It has good points too, mind you, like the change to estus flasks. I think I made it to the undead village or whatever that area is called after Lothric high-wall and was like "yeah, this aint gonna be it".

Barudak fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Apr 22, 2022

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Vermain posted:

40 alonne knights swarming you the instant you put one foot in iron keep, all of them making the troll face and saying "problem?"

Should've bought a bow

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Should've bought a bow

Just be a wizard. I've never done magic in one of these games before but Ive now done the four lords and the number of bosses who have even hit me with an attack so far is fairly low and not a single one has taken more than one attempt.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

:hellyeah:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
https://twitter.com/Laced_audio/status/1516401227512307720?s=20&t=Nkr8nZrihbkLj1kI4ii_mg

Oof. Strictly speaking I don't need it, but....

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://www.homeworlduniverse.com/

gently caress it I bought it lmao

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A person with your avatar?!??

Im getting it too...

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Barudak posted:

Its a lot of various things. Its an actiony ramped up game without the mechanical backing for it, the setting of the game makes sense as a direct sequel but its attempt to be after Dark Souls 2 makes it come off as an apology tour for what is pretty much the best thing DS2 has going for it, it has some really poor weapon balancing mixed with its very focused linearity, and main bosses rely a lot on gimmicks and some of them are hard whiffs. It also feels like its main thesis of "what is the ending of dark souls" only exists in the DLC and thats real good but that aint the game that launched

The crushing linearity is what really killed it for me. It's fine on a first playthrough, but it became increasingly dire on every subsequent one. After having played through both DS3 and Elden Ring, I ultimately think the DeS/DS2 model of a hub surrounded by multiple branching paths works the best for the Souls formula.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vermain posted:

The crushing linearity is what really killed it for me. It's fine on a first playthrough, but it became increasingly dire on every subsequent one. After having played through both DS3 and Elden Ring, I ultimately think the DeS/DS2 model of a hub surrounded by multiple branching paths works the best for the Souls formula.

I'm a huge, huge fan of Dark Souls 1's interconnected world, but from a pure design method DS2/DeS is both easier to implement and lets you get wilder with you setting to introduce more different kinds of zones. DS2 is kind of wild because the zones don't have much natural flow even within each spoke of the hub but both are perfectly fine options. Even Elden Ring doesn't have the variation of zone theme DS2 has (this is not a failing of Elden Ring, it has to make each theme swath cover a way larger surface area and be intriguing and it does a wonderful job while DS2 can get away with things like Black Gulch which is like a single island in size in Elden Ring).

I think the most painful part of DS3 is it acts like you can go straight to the end game zone by spawning the dancer and letting it lower the ladder on defeat but then it just refuses to spawn the guy who holds the key to open the door behind him. Otherwise its an organized tunnel with two offramps that dead end.