Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

if trump was still president the foreign carriers wouldn't be disrespecting us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Now I'm imagining that one episode of King of the Hill where Hank goes to the American embassy in Mexico to try to get them to help him get his dad out of a timeshare, and the guy says something like "ok how about we put an embargo on all of Mexico" and hank gets all happy and excited and the guy just looks at him and goes "... I'm joking Mr. Hill"

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Casey Finnigan posted:

i'm sure they spring for the good metal detectors

from what ive heard they only have metal detectors on the way out

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/TMikaMouse/status/1517133692061241344?t=9puUSF3iskebORHvsGKguA&s=19

Lol :qq:

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

omg these demands are wild!

3 months notice with a $6hr reduction in pay and you have to train your replacement? LOL

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

that’s from antiwork originally and, well, let’s say it’s giving poe’s law a workout.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I don't think a small business tyrant would actually do that but they would wank themselves dry thinking about doing it

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

GotLag posted:

I don't think a small business tyrant would actually do that but they would wank themselves dry thinking about doing it

Yeah someone made this poo poo up it's only a question of whether it's some karma farming wacko on reddit or a mcmansion resident sending it out to their retail serfs in a fit of WELL WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THAT

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

the role of poe's law and reddit when it comes to these things is that they make stuff up that is realistic because the people who are in reality being subjecting to these things are represented because none of them spend 10 hours a day on reddit

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Solar Coaster posted:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

omg these demands are wild!

3 months notice with a $6hr reduction in pay and you have to train your replacement? LOL

:phone: hello labor lawyer, I’d like to report my boss. Yeah, I’ll hold.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i would train my replacement wrong as a joke

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
i would simply not train my replacement and leave after 2 weeks as promised, as a joke

Charles Ingalls
Jan 31, 2021
isn’t the two week notice a courtesy and not mandated? couldn’t you just leave mid right then and there if they got pissy like this?

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
If you don't like it get out

No not like that

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Charles Ingalls posted:

isn’t the two week notice a courtesy and not mandated? couldn’t you just leave mid right then and there if they got pissy like this?

this is the workers side of at-will employment yes. they can fire you at any time for any reason without warning, and you can quit at any time for any reason. when they set those laws up with that tiny crumb to workers they didn't really expect people to be able to make use of it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It baffles my mind that prior to this poo poo people just couldn't quit? I assume it's contract poo poo.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

It baffles my mind that prior to this poo poo people just couldn't quit? I assume it's contract poo poo.

In the US it was customary for the state to machine-gun down people who tried to stop working, and their families.

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap

Charles Ingalls posted:

No law saying ya can't just hit da bricks!

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

3D Megadoodoo posted:

In the US it was customary for the state to machine-gun down people who tried to stop working, and their families.

Fun fact - the US has deployed the actual air force to break up a strike with bombs. Also the original SWAT team's first deployment was against striking fruit pickers. That was only 55 years ago too, not in some industrial revolution era hellcity

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Charles Ingalls posted:

Assuming no labor contract an employee can quit at any time. Just never expect to use that job as a reference cuz they'll hold grudges over poo poo like that and mark you as unable to be rehired.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Raldikuk posted:

Assuming no labor contract an employee can quit at any time. Just never expect to use that job as a reference cuz they'll hold grudges over poo poo like that and mark you as unable to be rehired.

Just remember, IT'S VERY UNPROFESSIONAL I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU WOULD DO THIS TO US

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Raldikuk posted:

The metal workers' union was all ready to send in a lawyer because I was gonna sue my former employer for not providing me with a reference (we have a law about that) but then I got hired by my current employer and just didn't give a poo poo. Some five years later I found the document on my veranda under the shoe rack, unopened in the envelope and rather dusty. My mail was delivered to a letter box but for some reason someone had decided to put it through the mail slot on the door and I never spotted it. (Why the company didn't just send me a new copy when I was threatening to sue I have no idea, it's one loving A4.)

Then again the law also mandates that an employee gives at least 14 days' notice. I have no problem with that so :shrug:

e: obviously that goes both ways.

3D Megadoodoo has issued a correction as of 15:13 on Apr 22, 2022

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
my niece summarily quit her toxic job and was rejected after interviewing with a new employer specifically because she failed to give notice. she unfortunately didnt stand up for herself when the new employer told her about it but she found other work.

why would i give 2 weeks notice to a poo poo employer when they arent giving me 2 weeks notice for a termination/layoff? gently caress off.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
My company uses the 2 week notice in a way for you to find out if they trusted/liked you or not.
If they trusted you, they let you work the full 2 weeks.
If they thought you would steal poo poo, you were walked out the start of the next day. Not even allowed to log in, just told, just go.

A lot of those who were asked to do the full weeks did gently caress all anyway, so it didnt matter what they wanted you to do.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Ammanas posted:

my niece summarily quit her toxic job and was rejected after interviewing with a new employer specifically because she failed to give notice. she unfortunately didnt stand up for herself when the new employer told her about it but she found other work.

why would i give 2 weeks notice to a poo poo employer when they arent giving me 2 weeks notice for a termination/layoff? gently caress off.

How did they know she didn't give notice?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I busted my rear end at a job I loved for 3 years and one day my boss took me outside and told me his boss wanted to fire me right there on the spot that day. My boss convinced him to let me have a month to find a new place to work. The reason was because someone else left the company and in their exit interview listed a few people they didn't like working with along with other company related reasons. The person who left the company and boss's boss were good friends outside of work too so boss's boss thought it would be sweet to get rid of the people who made his friend leave. That's when I stopped giving a poo poo about 2 weeks notice as a courtesy to the company because a company will absolutely remove you from working there for any reason without any warning or courtesy.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

blatman posted:

i would train my replacement wrong as a joke

I'm weeping, making me the victor

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Epic High Five posted:

the role of poe's law and reddit when it comes to these things is that they make stuff up that is realistic because the people who are in reality being subjecting to these things are represented because none of them spend 10 hours a day on reddit

You know you can use your phone to go on Reddit, right

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
https://twitter.com/RubenBolling/status/1517175482575429632?t=e4_XCE5CkVI2Ks8LkHY-sQ&s=19

:luckyducky:

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

IAMKOREA posted:

How did they know she didn't give notice?

it was a government job and they do their fact finding

i mean obviously she listed her last employer in her resume, shes 22

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

OK but Twitter is already awash in disinformation (and some misinformation) about the pandemic, much of it directly from US Government sources. It's also explicitly pro-Nazi and fully cooperative with the political establishment when it comes to suppressing unpleasant truths (Hunter's laptop, anyone?). Not sure how Musk buying it would make it meaningfully worse.

Bolling is sometimes pretty funny though.

Loucks has issued a correction as of 20:49 on Apr 22, 2022

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

happyhippy posted:

My company uses the 2 week notice in a way for you to find out if they trusted/liked you or not.
If they trusted you, they let you work the full 2 weeks.
If they thought you would steal poo poo, you were walked out the start of the next day. Not even allowed to log in, just told, just go.

A lot of those who were asked to do the full weeks did gently caress all anyway, so it didnt matter what they wanted you to do.

the only incentives for an employee to give 2 weeks notice are if you want to be potentially rehired by that employer someday, or you want a good reference (and even thats a crapshoot)

when i worked in a restaurant a lifetime ago it was common for the owner to immediately pull someone off the schedule the day after they gave their 2 weeks...hope you didn't need those 8 or 9 shifts that just got pulled out from under you

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Charles Ingalls posted:

yes, unless you sign a contract that says you won't quit, or that if you do quit you give X weeks of notice, or if you do quit you won't work for anyone doing the same thing, or if you do quit you have to give them back some amount of the money they paid you

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Loucks posted:

Not sure how Musk buying it would make it meaningfully worse.

- Last thing person said before things got unbelievably worse

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Shame Boy posted:

- Last thing person said before things got unbelievably worse

I’m not doubting his ability to do so at all fwiw. Just being grouchy.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Loucks posted:

Not sure how Musk buying it would make it meaningfully worse.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I as a customer have been given the option to reward a customer service rep for the email she promptly answered.

I went with the goldfish but its unclear whether its like goldfish the crackers for kids, or an actual fish like you'd win at a carnival.

Either way, Kelsey can thank me later.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

The Nastier Nate posted:

I as a customer have been given the option to reward a customer service rep for the email she promptly answered.

I went with the goldfish but its unclear whether its like goldfish the crackers for kids, or an actual fish like you'd win at a carnival.

Either way, Kelsey can thank me later.

If her work is anything like my time in a call centre then you should have gone withe the long lunch, I would have crawled through broken glass to have one goddamn extra minute not dealing with customers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Probably would be unpaid for that extra lunch time though