Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I *did* abandon WH2 for like half a year or so, and it's still my most played game in Steam lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

What I don't understand is how a rough launch has translated into the Blood DLC being delayed. To me that is the only thing that is a little concerning.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Ethiser posted:

And when they discontinued it they announced that they were doing it so they could make a sequel.

Whereas TW3 has no clear sequel prospects for the time being. I do think they'll go back to the warhammer well eventually, but it'll take a big leap in various areas to justify going from the medley of factions right now back to fourish when they restart.

CA would be crazy not to run the easy bet into the ground before trying their hand at another fantasy setting with less clear prospects.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

The first big DLCs for 3k (8 princes and mandate of heaven) sold like gangbusters, it's when they went into the various extra startdates that things dipped. I'm not sure how well the Nanman did, but aside from a possible northern expansion that was the only Warhammer race pack esque exciting content they could have dropped so I'm guessing that's why they stopped progressing the timeline.

And yeah it was admirable that they overall tried to make it so that new mechanics weren't locked into a specific start date but that also made getting most DLC's on release not all that compelling

Like I'm a RotK player so the same map over and over with different starting makeups is right up my alley but it's not all that exciting on it's own to most people I think

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Apr 22, 2022

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Just based on how well WH2 did, I don't see 3 getting canned or even pared down. It's still their biggest series.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Sasgrillo posted:

What I don't understand is how a rough launch has translated into the Blood DLC being delayed. To me that is the only thing that is a little concerning.

Cause they hosed the whole development up somehow. Something or somethings went very badly wrong during development. The blood DLC should be built into the game during development and only taken out during release for ratings purposes. It should be trivial for them to release it. They've done it for every game they've released since Rome 2.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Tirranek posted:

Just based on how well WH2 did, I don't see 3 getting canned or even pared down. It's still their biggest series.

They didn't abandon Rome 2 and on launch it was a gigantic stinker so yeah people being fatalistic about this are kinda wild.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Hmmmm, maybe some sort of pandemic occured during development

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Cause they hosed the whole development up somehow. Something or somethings went very badly wrong during development. The blood DLC should be built into the game during development and only taken out during release for ratings purposes. It should be trivial for them to release it. They've done it for every game they've released since Rome 2.

It is odd that it hasn't been released yet. If there was a big problem with the coding for WH3 you'd imagine that a modder would have noticed it by now.

I think someone speculated that they had done the same thing they did with WH2 where Norsca was made using WH1 coding and so couldn't be moved over to the new game without creating it all from the ground up again. It would be exceptionally embarrassing for a company to have to admit that they made the same major mistake twice like that, but it's practically unthinkable that they could have done that imo. The Norsca thing delayed their planned content by like 6 months iirc.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I've seen it suggested that blood DLC hasn't released because CA knows there are vocal groups critical of the DLC and believe releasing it before fixing things and putting out free content updates (whether IE or just some free lord pack or whatever) will result in fan backlash. It's slightly silly since the blood DLC is so established at this point, but I can't come up with an actual GOOD reason why it's not out. Adding blood effects to new factions shouldn't be particularly difficult.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

The press release thingy on Steam got updated, apparently, which usually predicts some sort of content drop. We don't know what, though.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Thread baying for blood, CA nerfs Khorne, shaves bears

QuintessenceX
Aug 11, 2006
We are reasons so unreal

Insurrectionist posted:

I've seen it suggested that blood DLC hasn't released because CA knows there are vocal groups critical of the DLC and believe releasing it before fixing things and putting out free content updates (whether IE or just some free lord pack or whatever) will result in fan backlash. It's slightly silly since the blood DLC is so established at this point, but I can't come up with an actual GOOD reason why it's not out. Adding blood effects to new factions shouldn't be particularly difficult.

Yeah - that would be my call if I was overseeing the project tbh. Putting out the Blood DLC at this point of highly vocal/visible negativity would be a bad move; especially if there's not a planned content drop afterwards for a hot minute due to development concerns. That being said it's probably something stupid that's slowing it's release like the blood textures cause a massive FPS drop due to the way they interact with Ogre titties or something.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

I just want to know if there is anyone over there in that office who is like "hey, fuckers! nobody moves right in these loving towns you all made."

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
There are problems with the synchronized kill/attack moves in vanilla, and the blood DLC impacts those. I'm sure that's why the blood dlc isn't out yet.

Those times where your lord vs an enemy lord just fart around and turn 90 degrees or whatever are happening because its trying to fire off matched animations and it isn't working right.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Yeah, it's likely a change that they made to the animation systems for some reason (or something else entirely that somehow affected that because coding is an insane nightmare profession), and since the blood DLC builds off of that... welp.

Regardless, they're definitely doing SOMETHING, because the press build got updated. So there's gears turning in the background, they've just done a pretty poor job of communicating stuff.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Zzulu posted:

Hmmmm, maybe some sort of pandemic occured during development

Nurgle gave them Coders Rot

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

Ask me about peasant etymology!

Tirranek posted:

You're absolutely not wrong, and really it shouldn't be a concern.

It's just that everyone and their sister has a story or two of a company doing something really, fundamentally stupid because some decision makers spooked and made the wrong call at the wrong time. It's a legitimate fear. The Creative Assembly has also made a number of bad decisions in its time.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
I bet they take Fat Bear Week really seriously in Kislev. Probably a national holiday.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Cranappleberry posted:

I bet they take Fat Bear Week really seriously in Kislev. Probably a national holiday.

Every week is Fat Bear Week in Kislev.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I don't even think the game is bad, so the complainers just feel like they are too used to all the extra stuff added over time in 2 despite 3's QoL stuff also being great.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Immortal

Empires

Immortal

Empires

That’s why TWWH2 is still goin’ strong baby

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't even think the game is bad, so the complainers just feel like they are too used to all the extra stuff added over time in 2 despite 3's QoL stuff also being great.

If the campaign was actually good most "complainers" would be too busy playing it to complain or care about lack of updates. The mod for disabling chaos rifts has made the game a lot more enjoyable for me, but that only makes it more obvious how badly they hosed up the campaign, when disabling the single biggest new feature in it actually improves the game.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
There are issues with it but with 2k hours combined between the last two warhammer games, I easily had the most fun with 3 and my first Katarina campaign. Yes the plague stuff is bullshit and Tzeentch poo poo if a right pain in the rear end but it is also the first time I have ever felt threatened by the AI outside of the early game. The portal race is a bit more complicated but they nailed two of the four realms and the only one that needs a serious rework is Tzeentch.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Sasgrillo posted:

Blood DLC triggers a bunch of baby rage every time it is released. They probably don't want to deal with it.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Double Bill posted:

If the campaign was actually good most "complainers" would be too busy playing it to complain or care about lack of updates. The mod for disabling chaos rifts has made the game a lot more enjoyable for me, but that only makes it more obvious how badly they hosed up the campaign, when disabling the single biggest new feature in it actually improves the game.

I still play with the rifts, but there are two mods that make it more interesting. One makes their activation chance much lower so you might have to travel a bit, but the AI certainly doesn't travel so it lessens any urgency. The other one calls it "expeditions" and the rifts only spawn in areas with high chaos corruption. So you have to invade the chaos wastes to get to the chaos realms. They manage the demons getting a one up by making the spawn chance low as well, so any one demon faction probably won't get rifts every go around.

Now I just wish someone would make a mod that ties demon faction replenishment to specific faction chaos corruption thus fixing every demon factions replenishment problem and giving you much more incentive to spread corruption.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Apparently the steamdb update might be a combo pack of WH1 and WH2 (with WH3 being a firm "maybe" as well), likely to make it easier for newbies to grab the other two games for IE purposes.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Twigand Berries posted:

I still play with the rifts, but there are two mods that make it more interesting. One makes their activation chance much lower so you might have to travel a bit, but the AI certainly doesn't travel so it lessens any urgency. The other one calls it "expeditions" and the rifts only spawn in areas with high chaos corruption. So you have to invade the chaos wastes to get to the chaos realms. They manage the demons getting a one up by making the spawn chance low as well, so any one demon faction probably won't get rifts every go around.

Now I just wish someone would make a mod that ties demon faction replenishment to specific faction chaos corruption thus fixing every demon factions replenishment problem and giving you much more incentive to spread corruption.

If i could do the rifts at my own leisure without racing the AI that sounds far more fun.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

jokes posted:

Immortal

Empires

Immortal

Empires

That’s why TWWH2 is still goin’ strong baby

When TWW2 came out I did one game as the High Elves to completion and then started and did not finish a Lizardman game. Then Mortal Empires came out and I've got over 1k hours in that game and played almost every faction to completion multiple times (to say nothing of the number of games I started, stopped, restarted etc). So yeah this is 100% on point.

Arghy posted:

If i could do the rifts at my own leisure without racing the AI that sounds far more fun.

You have to leave the hold sometimes.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Does anyone actually prefer the WH3 base map to the base WH2(vortex) map? you obviously can't compare WH3 map to the WH2 ME one but the WH3 map just does nothing for me, because of the limited spawn postions/LLs and the all the terrain feeling same-y. The vortex map had such huge variety comparatively. doesn't help that the top 1/4 of the WH3 map is not traversable by normal means.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

toasterwarrior posted:

I *did* abandon WH2 for like half a year or so, and it's still my most played game in Steam lol

lol

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

Slider posted:

Does anyone actually prefer the WH3 base map to the base WH2(vortex) map? you obviously can't compare WH3 map to the WH2 ME one but the WH3 map just does nothing for me, because of the limited spawn postions/LLs and the all the terrain feeling same-y. The vortex map had such huge variety comparatively. doesn't help that the top 1/4 of the WH3 map is not traversable by normal means.

Yeah so much space is taken up by the chaos realms and wastes that it doesn't feel very big or diverse after a while. I wonder what they're going to do with the chaos stuff in IE. As far as the art style change, I think I mostly like it. It's definitely more cartoony than WH2, but still looks good most of the time, and it's cool having every region change based on corruption. Might eventually get sick of that, but I'm sure a mod can tone it down or turn it off.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Yeah, I actually liked the art style shift on the campaign map. It's a hell of a lot more legible, even if the trees look kinda like cardboard sometimes. The corruption effects are neat, too. It honestly is easier to get info at a glance; roads and bridges are clearly defined. That's one of the better changes, imo.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Insurrectionist posted:

I've seen it suggested that blood DLC hasn't released because CA knows there are vocal groups critical of the DLC and believe releasing it before fixing things and putting out free content updates (whether IE or just some free lord pack or whatever) will result in fan backlash.

I thouht CA flat out said that they're going to address the gameplay and balance complaints and bugs first before doing a roadmap or blood DLC.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Twigand Berries posted:

My next playthrough I'm also adding those mods, sounds vastly better than what we have now. I even started adding those half-baked skaven detection buildings so I don't have to deal with portals inside my territory. I don't get enough agents to close the rifts fast enough.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
The thing that's interesting about IE is that there could be a ton of roadblocks slowing it down. I wonder for example how thoroughly the game 1/2 races were converted to TWW3 at release. Since many of them have like 1 or 2 factions only, and they're all AI, they could have for example taken shortcuts when implementing things like economy mechanics (since the AI just gets cheats anyway) or faction mechanics for them. And they haven't needed to implement faction mechanics for most old factions at all. They also need to rebalance magic for every faction as a minimum since that is a whole new system. And even once everything is working, loads of bugfixing and optimization will need to be done.

I have no idea how they managed to do it so quickly for TWW2 though, granted there were far fewer factions to move but even so.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I mean don't forget that ME had its issues, too. Between the Norsca problem and the turn times, it wasn't exactly smooth sailing. They did, eventually, get all that sorted out, but it took time, and I think that's what Reddit is currently forgetting. The prevailing thought seems to be "well it took X amount of time in WH2 what is so hard this time it should be easy how hard is it to copy paste omg", while they're completely forgetting how merging JUST Norsca into WH2 hosed CA up for months. poo poo's hard, and now they're trying to merge the two previous games AND all the DLC, with the WH2 DLCs being developed concurrently alongside WH3. That's loving gargantuan, so I wouldn't be shocked if there were some roadblocks.

I think the big difference is that, if you think back, CA actually straight up issued a mea culpa and explained the Norsca situation, and people generally accepted it and it wasn't a huge deal. I mean, there were poo poo stirrers who just wanted to be angry, but in most cases the response was "alright well, it happens, hope you guys figure it out soon". I suspect a similar statement right about now would help assuage a lot of the fears, since at this point people are whipping each other up like Boomers watching Fox, but who the gently caress knows at this point?

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Apr 23, 2022

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Most of the TWW1 factions were extremely barebones too. Empire had offices, Greenskins had animosity and passive waaghs, Dwarfs had grudges, Vampires had raise dead, Bretonnia had chivalry, Chaos had hordes, Wood Elves had offices and its settlement system, Beastmen had hordes and Dark Moon events. The most complex race was Norsca and we know how that went lmao

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I assume they need to redo the IE map with the new art style, which would take some time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I like the new map, but most of it is wasted. I have played every factions campaign and I basically never, ever went into the badlands, which is actually a large part of the map. It even has a dino faction right at the end of it. The whole area serves no real purpose until the chaos dwarves are added in

There are also weird decisions like surrounding Cathay with hostile climate regions so they basically can't expand in any direction