Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Eye poke/gouge has to be up there.

Terrible snipe.

I always thought Flair had a visually interesting eye poke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

TheKingslayer posted:

Terrible snipe.

Yeah, I've always noticed how he really flicks his opponent in the face for the poke, too.

bartok
May 10, 2006

What's Danhausen's deal? He seems entertaining enough as a goofball weirdo hanging out with the Best Friends and trying to curse Hook but I don't know anything about him pre AEW. All I know is he has some sort of connection to Conan O'Brien.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

bartok posted:

What's Danhausen's deal? He seems entertaining enough as a goofball weirdo hanging out with the Best Friends and trying to curse Hook but I don't know anything about him pre AEW. All I know is he has some sort of connection to Conan O'Brien.

He's a funny man, broke his leg last Halloween, before that he ended up on ROH during the Pandemic, they basically treated him like a comedy low/mid carder and teamed him with PCO so it's kinda a skippable period if you don't know much about him. Before that he ended up with an interview with Conan due to a casting call. Before that he was on the indy scene, has a vlog, did comedy stuff.

As far as his skills go, pre-injury I would say his pure wrestling skills where above average, but nothing that would wow you alone in AEW. If AEW treats him the opposite of RoH I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the position that Orange Cassidy is in currently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVnF-1R7Sq8

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 21, 2022

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Defenestrategy posted:

He's a funny man, broke his leg last Halloween, before that he ended up on ROH during the Pandemic, they basically treated him like a comedy low/mid carder and teamed him with PCO so it's kinda a skippable period if you don't know much about him. Before that he ended up with an interview with Conan due to a casting call. Before that he was on the indy scene, has a vlog, did comedy stuff.

As far as his skills go, pre-injury I would say his pure wrestling skills where above average, but nothing that would wow you alone in AEW. If AEW treats him the opposite of RoH I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the position that Orange Cassidy is in currently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVnF-1R7Sq8

Presumably he's going to lose to Hook but I hope that he has a good, competitive match with him.

Love that Danhausen.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

To add to ^, he's also like a demonic ghoul who is very nice but very evil and hates swearing. He used to come to the ring with a jar of teeth which he'd pour into his opponent's mouth then kick them in the face to send money flying. He's extremely motivated by money and fame. Talks a lot about how he wants a blimp and several PT Cruisers.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
One of the biggest things about Danhausen's success is he is genuinely very nice and able to network. Wrestlers you never would have expected to know who he is liked the guy prior to showing up in AEW, and the people who follow indie sleaze say no one ever says anything bad about him.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

One of the biggest things about Danhausen's success is he is genuinely very nice
have been saying this

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
What I like about him is that when I first saw him pop up in something (I want to say Wrestling With Wregret?) I was like "did we really need a 1970s/1980s horror host wrestling character?" and by the third time I saw him I was like "actually I think we did"

I do suspect if he were not like palpably a good person the gimmick would really not work, though. Watching him eat tacos with Thunder Rosa was a wonderful experience

Side note, I am so glad my two favorites from the initial NWA renaissance (Ricky Starks and Thunder Rosa) get to come out with belts every week now. Though RIP Question Mark

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I've been catching up on between the sheets episodes and in one, bix mentions that the whole "lucha libre was banned from television" thing might be incorrect. do any of you have any more information on this? perhaps bix himself can help us

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
i think someone asked for this last week but i can't find it: the nWo entrance at some house show in Europe where they only had the instrumentals version so a guy said all the stuff?

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEIUIHMveRI

for life eeeh ha ha ha

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TheKingslayer posted:

Terrible snipe.

Yeah, he and Roddy too. I always dug Piper's thumb to the eye.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Piper's thumb to the eye had almost a slapstick delivery. It's a good one.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
Has there been a working relationship between a major Japanese promotion and WWE, WCW, TNA or ROH where the American one hasn't screwed them over, or tried to, at some point?

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
In one of the out of character Danhausen interviews he talks about how he was fine as a regular wrestler but he knew he wasn't going to make it as a pure workrate type guy.

He wasn't getting anywhere, he was broke and he was starting to not enjoy wrestling anymore, so he decided to take a chance and do something fun. Basically he figured if he was going to fail at least he was going to do it on his terms.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Saul Goode posted:

Has there been a working relationship between a major Japanese promotion and WWE, WCW, TNA or ROH where the American one hasn't screwed them over, or tried to, at some point?

Unless I'm forgetting something, ROH and NOAH never had a problem

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Saul Goode posted:

Well, the ROH Dragongate relationship was good enough that when Gabe left ROH he started up DGUSA. So I don't think that one soured. And the ROH NOAH relationship was explicitly one where NOAH was the senior partner & in these things it's usually the senior partner who does the screwing. Usually. And ROH used Morishima about as well as you can use a Japanese talent on excursion.

Also, today I discovered that Kensuke Sasaki actually appeared in 2008 ROH which I didn't realise.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Piper’s best eye poke was his “What do you mean two?!” after attempting a pin.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Zombie Lemur posted:

In one of the out of character Danhausen interviews he talks about how he was fine as a regular wrestler but he knew he wasn't going to make it as a pure workrate type guy.

He wasn't getting anywhere, he was broke and he was starting to not enjoy wrestling anymore, so he decided to take a chance and do something fun. Basically he figured if he was going to fail at least he was going to do it on his terms.

Yeah. Donovan Danhausen was a tattooed, bearded white guy who put on good matches... which, on many indie shows, just made him one of ten or twelve such guys. Getting even better in-ring wasn't worth it, because being the best wrestler of the twelve in a vacuum still wouldn't be enough to make him stand out. So he went a different direction.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
It still stuns me that people are creating wrestling personas that are essentially guy who's passionate about wrestling and good at it when the historical foundation of it is big burly dudes called the Mongolian Mangler or The Caveman

You can see the difference between Create A Pro and other schools when the blandest guy that came out of there is Anthony " the five tool player" Bowens.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
everyone needing a weird, over the top gimmick is how you get nxt 2.0

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
and the New Generation

but at the same time you need something more than just being a kind of intense guy or gal

edit: there's even a good mid point promotion where everyone on the roster has a clearly defined gimmick, good old New Japan. (interestingly an inversion of the All Japan style where the Japanese wrestlers had subdued gimmicks compared to the over the top international talent)

it's been more than proven by this point that pure sports style presentation at a character or promotional level has no staying power in wrestling

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Apr 22, 2022

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
There was an absolutely dire period in the 2010s where every wrestler was "I am Firstname Lastname and I want the belt." "Oh yeah? Well I am Firstname Lastname and I ALSO want the belt."

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Amazing. Thank you.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

sticklefifer posted:

There was an absolutely dire period in the 2010s where every wrestler was "I am Firstname Lastname and I want the belt." "Oh yeah? Well I am Firstname Lastname and I ALSO want the belt."

I think all of these things are reactions to what came before: people coming up being inspired by straight-laced wrestlers wanting to be like that even though everyone can.

I think the key fundamental difference is this: in the past you could get by with being a 'good wrestler' a lot more since there were a lot of people around that, well, weren't: so someone that'd go out and have a 3 star match on TV every week with anyone and then elevating up when giving the chance would be noticed a lot more by hardcore fans. Now the overall talent level in wrestling has increased to the people where that isn't really enough: you have to be a no-doubt generational person to get by just on in-ring in a major promotion while standing out. If you look at AEW: it has this reputation for being a workrate promotion (for the men at least; the women are still a work in progress) but unless you can promo then there's a limit they'll push you to because a lot of the people they have who are stars and can talk are like Bryan Danielson or Kenny Omega: you'd have to be something in order to surpass them in ring.

I don't think this is about everyone having a whacky gimmick or wild presentation of whatever: its all about having something that lets your charisma come out and which connects with the audience: for a Danhausen its what he does but for other people it might still be a fairly straight-laced thing. Some people could try a million gimmicks and none will work just because they have no charisma.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Also, unless you’re Lucha Underground or a similar company, too many wacky/weird gimmicks is a bad call (if you’re otherwise full of workrate “me want belt” guys). It’s a major gripe I’ve always had against characters like The Fiend or even Undertaker; they’re spooky weirdos who are doing evil things for their dark designs, but why are they also fighting for a wrestling championship? At least LU had some weird explanation of the championship having magic powers or sway over the Aztec Tribes or whatever.

Spooky/wacky dudes who are that way because they’re just eccentric weirdos but ultimately “a wrestler that wants belt” are far better in my mind (which is why someone like Malakai Black works for me; guy is ultimately just a very dramatic kickboxer, not an actual demon person).

An exception for this may be someone like Abadon, who is played very straight as an actual zombie-person.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

BodyMassageMachine posted:

It’s a major gripe I’ve always had against characters like ... Undertaker; they’re spooky weirdos who are doing evil things for their dark designs, but why are they also fighting for a wrestling championship?

IIRC it was so he could buy a Harley Davidson and a Kid Rock cd. Bikes are expensive!

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

this is entirely why Okada became the Rainmaker - it wasn't enough for him to be a great wrestler, he needed a good character as well

even if he didn't know the Rainmaker character would get over, he knew what not to do from his time as Okato, so that helped

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

BodyMassageMachine posted:

Also, unless you’re Lucha Underground or a similar company, too many wacky/weird gimmicks is a bad call (if you’re otherwise full of workrate “me want belt” guys). It’s a major gripe I’ve always had against characters like The Fiend or even Undertaker; they’re spooky weirdos who are doing evil things for their dark designs, but why are they also fighting for a wrestling championship? At least LU had some weird explanation of the championship having magic powers or sway over the Aztec Tribes or whatever.

I think initially Taker was just a pawn of Brother Love who was being paid by Ted DiBiase? Taker just mindlessly did what he was told, it was his manager who was in control and guiding him for their own purposes (:10bux:).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Whoever has the urn can summon and control the Undertaker if their level is high enough.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Venomous posted:

this is entirely why Okada became the Rainmaker - it wasn't enough for him to be a great wrestler, he needed a good character as well

even if he didn't know the Rainmaker character would get over, he knew what not to do from his time as Okato, so that helped

hell Rainmaker was pretty much just ripping off Pope D'Angelo Dinero that was happening at the same time, but that just makes it even better as Nature Boy Ric Flair stole from Buddy Rogers

all the GOATs steal

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Lid posted:

hell Rainmaker was pretty much just ripping off Pope D'Angelo Dinero that was happening at the same time, but that just makes it even better as Nature Boy Ric Flair stole from Buddy Rogers

all the GOATs steal

So Okada’s TNA excursion wasn’t for nothing

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Halloween Jack posted:

Whoever has the urn can summon and control the Undertaker if their level is high enough.

Taker ignored orders!

Taker used Not Feeling It!

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

fez_machine posted:

(interestingly an inversion of the All Japan style where the Japanese wrestlers had subdued gimmicks compared to the over the top international talent)

tbh while this produced some of the best long-term character development and storytelling in theatrical history, I feel like it also made their matches a lot less accessible in isolation

I remember about five years ago I watched Misawa/Kobashi 2003 for the first time, having watched pretty much nothing from either of them beforehand, and while I appreciated it on a technical level, I found that I couldn't really give a drat about their characters. In hindsight, it's really no wonder that I didn't care about them - I was missing more than thirteen years of context and jumping in right at the end of their rivalry. It's only after I went back and watched their work from the beginning that I realised, poo poo, there is some incredible character development here, and when you rewatch Misawa/Kobashi 2003 after all that, you realise just how much meaning they impart in their movements and why it's called the greatest match of all time.

In contrast, something like Bret/Austin at WM13 is so much easier to get into, because you really don't need that kind of context - you know from their entrances that Bret is the brilliant hero who's loved by the kids and all that, whereas Austin is a drunken Texan rear end in a top hat who wants nothing more than to kick the poo poo out of Bret, even going so far as to intercept Bret before he can enter the ring. You don't necessarily need to know the context from Raw or whatever to appreciate their character work, and frankly the match works just as well without it. I'm not saying this makes it a better match from a character standpoint than Misawa/Kobashi 2003, but it certainly makes it easier to watch in isolation.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's much harder to create wrestling characters like the Four Pillars today, not least because nowadays you can't really build a company around four wrestlers that are just Incredibly Good. Like, the Four Pillars Of AEW all have distinct characters (Darby's half-dead, Sammy's a Spanish god, Jungle Boy's a jungle boy, and Britt's a dentist), and if you took those traits away, it'd be a lot harder for each of them to get over. Granted, that's apples to oranges because AEW is nothing like 90s AJPW, but even looking at AJPW nowadays, their young main eventers still have distinct characters about them - Kento Miyahara is a beautiful heartbreaker, Jake Lee is a Castlevania villain, Shotaro Ashino is a suplex machine, Yuma Aoyagi is a fool, and so on. They aren't the same kind of slow-burn Good Wrestlers as the Four Pillars were, and that makes their work much easier to get into imo, even if they don't have quite the same long-term character depth as the Four Pillars before them.

I dunno if that makes any sense, but either way, if you're watching 90s AJPW and early NOAH for the characters, it'll take a bit of work on your end to get into them.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Venomous posted:

Like, the Four Pillars Of AEW all have distinct characters (Darby's half-dead, Sammy's a Spanish god, Jungle Boy's a jungle boy, and Britt's a dentist)

I would say Jungle Boys gimmick is "wrestleman". Like if you wiped everyones memory, gave him a singles run, and changed his name to Jack Perry no one would be able to tell what his gimmick was beyond "handsome guy who wrestles good". At least Sammy's version of that is "Vlog douche who does flips", and Darby is "Vaguely suicidal emo guy"

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

So, this is more of a trading card question. How are those memorabilia, relic cards from Topps created?

Colt Cabana mentioned on a twitch stream that you stand in the ring, put on a 5XL shirt, and that's it. It's ringworn gear.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Defenestrategy posted:

I would say Jungle Boys gimmick is "wrestleman". Like if you wiped everyones memory, gave him a singles run, and changed his name to Jack Perry no one would be able to tell what his gimmick was beyond "handsome guy who wrestles good". At least Sammy's version of that is "Vlog douche who does flips", and Darby is "Vaguely suicidal emo guy"

While this is absolutely true, there's something about Jungle Boy's aesthetic/shtick that I think really adds to his "young guy learning the ropes" / "fish out of water but he's getting there" / "He a boy now but he gon be TARZAN someday motherfucker" aura. He doesn't play to the gimmick, the gimmick plays to him, and I don't think he'd lose much without it but he'd definitely lose something

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
It will absolutely be hilarious if in like five years he disappears for six months and comes back noticeably more jacked and speaking with an affected lower voice ala Undertaker and introduces himself as Jungle Man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
he will evolve from Jungle Boy to Mr. Jungle Boy