Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I can't keep track of poo poo apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Russia is bringing out one of the Tsar's old ships
https://twitter.com/CovertShores/status/1517518693055578113

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
We should recommission USS Texas to go deal with this threat.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

A.o.D. posted:

We should recommission USS Texas to go deal with this threat.

or drag the loving Alabama out of Mobile harbor so people stop brakechecking on the I-10 bridge to look at it.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Would now be an appropriate time to bring up civil war submarines?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
maybe we can sink it with the hunley

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

If Ukraine can sink enough Russian ships on the same spot eventually they'll poke out of the water and be a new island.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Casimir Radon posted:

Let he who has not replied in the wrong thread throw the first stone.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

CainFortea posted:

Let he who has not replied in the wrong thread throw the first stone.

*throws stone!*

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Casimir Radon posted:

You're not alone, sometimes I mix up my own memories with stories from the old idiots thread years back, because I can't remember if I posted the stories or if somebody else did.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Using a Tsarist salvage ship to try and recover a piece of the True Cross / secret nuclear warheads from a sunken Soviet-era missile cruiser during an international crisis is some Dirk Pitt-rear end poo poo.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Using a Tsarist salvage ship to try and recover a piece of the True Cross / secret nuclear warheads from a sunken Soviet-era missile cruiser during an international crisis is some Dirk Pitt-rear end poo poo.

All we need is air support provided by a Ford Tri-motor and we've hit peak Cussler.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Someone flick a lit cigarette at it, see if we can sink two Russian boats on the same spot.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

bird food bathtub posted:

Someone flick a lit cigarette at it, see if we can sink two Russian boats on the same spot.

If you fart at it, it may just blow over.

…eat some Taco Bell beforehand, just to be sure.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Grand Fromage posted:

If Ukraine can sink enough Russian ships on the same spot eventually they'll poke out of the water and be a new island.

China would probably try to claim it as theirs if this happened.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Terrifying Effigies posted:

I’ve only just gotten my team in place but I think we can still pull this off

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Maybe the Japanese can lend one of their cannonball shooters

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

bees everywhere posted:

You're not alone, sometimes I mix up my own memories with stories from the old idiots thread years back, because I can't remember if I posted the stories or if somebody else did.
Poop stories are universal.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

bees everywhere posted:

Don't worry about it. A man is not under oath in such circumstances.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Russia going back to the Afghanistan playbook.
https://twitter.com/IuliiaMendel/status/1517598191906136064

You know I'm fine with them giving Ukraine cruise missiles. I'm sure we can figure out a way to use the old GLCM system as a guide for making Tomahawks able to fire from say a truck.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Farking Bastage posted:

or drag the loving Alabama out of Mobile harbor so people stop brakechecking on the I-10 bridge to look at it.

There’s nothing any decent American needs on the east shore of that bridge.

Also, the last time they restored the Alabama they pretty much permanently installed it in dock. It’s roughly as seaworthy as the Moskva now.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Russia going back to the Afghanistan playbook.
https://twitter.com/IuliiaMendel/status/1517598191906136064

You know I'm fine with them giving Ukraine cruise missiles. I'm sure we can figure out a way to use the old GLCM system as a guide for making Tomahawks able to fire from say a truck.

please correct me if i'm having a bad brain moment but did russian troops seriously loving booby-trap children's toys

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

GD_American posted:

GD_American posted:

GD_American posted:

GD_American posted:

GD_American posted:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Kith posted:

please correct me if i'm having a bad brain moment but did russian troops seriously loving booby-trap children's toys

They did it a lot in Afghanistan. Even if this is a Ukrainian psyop it's completely plausible because it's in Russia's crimes against humanity playbook.

edit: The Serbs borrowed from that playbook in Bosnia.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Kith posted:

Nothing is unimaginable in 2022!

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Kith posted:

Digging deep into the old Afghanistan playbook, I see.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Kith posted:

This isn't even remotely close to new for them

https://www.csmonitor.com/1987/0916/eafgh.html

https://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearned/comments/3sj67z/til_that_the_russians_dropped_boobytrapped_toys/

I can't find any stories, but it seems like something they might have done in Syria too.

And the fact that they're doing it in Ukraine now is well documented:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-russians-are-determined-to-kill-our-civilians-and-children-too-they-booby-trap-teddy-bears-939ndsf35

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kith posted:

Yes, they used to rig toys with explosives to be found by Afghani children and they're doing it again.

Like I'm totally cool with Ukraine allowing for the death penalty to be reinstated for Russian war crimes. I know for many many reasons why that can't happen (EU, couldn't work for crimes already committed, etc)...but I'd be cool with it if it could.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, I specifically remember seeing a picture of Wang Wei flashing the sign with his email address on it. He didn't do it on the occasion he collided with the EP-3 in April 2001 but he'd done it in the past.

Here's a reddit post mentioning it: https://www.reddit.com/r/MilitaryAv...tm_source=share

And a paper (PDF download, mentioned on page 19): https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...zAdrdYGirlyHw9r

quote:

U.S. officials began to provide information and photographs
showing that the PLAN pilot who waslost had flown risky interceptions close to U.S.
aircraft before (as close as 10 feet away), including one encounter where he held up
a piece of paper with his e-mail address on it.

quote:

The PRC’s account of the incident seems implausible for a number of reasons.
First, PLA pilots have a history of harassing EP-3 crews with high-speed fly-bys at
close range. According to Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, “in recent months
there have been 44 PLA interceptions of U.S. surveillance and reconnaissance flights
off the coast of China. Six of these were within 30 feet; two were within 10 feet.”79
Photographs taken by other EP-3 crews indicate that the PLA mishap pilot, Wang
Wei, had closed to within 10 feet of American EP-3s on previously intercepts. In one
photo, he was seen displaying his e-mail address to the American crew. In December
and again in January, the American government lodged formal protests with the PRC
citing safety concerns regarding actions taken by PLA pilots. On several occasions,
PLA pilots had overtaken EP-3 aircraft from the stern at high speed, passing
underneath and abruptly pulling up in front of the American aircraft at close range.80
The practice, known in some pilot circles as “thumping” is essentially an aerial tweak,
intended to cause consternation to the victim as he is suddenly confronted with the
noise, jet wash, and the jet in unexpectedly close proximity. Second, a jet fighter,
even one of limited maneuverability, shadowing a slow, propeller driven aircraft 400
meters (1300 feet) away should have easily been able to avoid a conflict with it.
Finally, given recent U.S. concerns over previous close intercepts by PLA fighters,
it is highly unlikely that the EP-3 pilot would risked his life and that of his crew by
aggressively maneuvering his unarmed plane into the flight path of an intercepting
fighter.

It sounds like Top Gun, a bit of "foreign relations" that turned deadly when you're loving around at mach 1.3.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

GD_American posted:

It’s the only reasonable way to get to South Georgia from New Orleans.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

i was just reading about this recently, it has been kept up through everything, kind of a cool ship

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Oops they did it again

https://mobile.twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1517538587151159297

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Ok something hinky’s afoot.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Oh no it's almost like starting a land war with a nation that shares a language, deep familial ties, and a ginormous land border with you can lead to unprecedented partisan activities in your own lands. Are ya winnin son?

I'm sure most fires in Russia can be attributed to regular industrial malpractice, but I'd be surprised if arson by Ukrainian agents/sympathizes wasn't happening given what the Russian army is doing to civilians 1 border away.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

20 Blunts posted:

i was just reading about this recently, it has been kept up through everything, kind of a cool ship

Ukraine absolutely will try to send it to the bottom, though, it's a legitimate military target of the Russian Navy, and also if they're salvaging poo poo off the Moskva, that's something the Ukrainians want to not allow.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

orange juche posted:

Ukraine absolutely will try to send it to the bottom, though, it's a legitimate military target of the Russian Navy, and also if they're salvaging poo poo off the Moskva, that's something the Ukrainians want to not allow.

So besides nukes, what does Russia care so much about in that wreckage to already do a salvage op?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

1 fire: indicative of nothing
3 fires: grabbing the popcorn and the sherlock holmes hat

Orthanc6 posted:

Oh no it's almost like starting a land war with a nation that shares a language, deep familial ties, and a ginormous land border with you can lead to unprecedented partisan activities in your own lands. Are ya winnin son?

I'm sure most fires in Russia can be attributed to regular industrial malpractice, but I'd be surprised if arson by Ukrainian agents/sympathizes wasn't happening given what the Russian army is doing to civilians 1 border away.

I'm reminded of a surveillance video from about a month ago after 8' tall sheet metal Z statues appeared in a bunch of Russian cities. A guy walks up to one and starts attacking it and bends it down to the ground as two cops are walking up to the guy. He says something to them and they both make no further move to stop him. This was at the height of the supposed '85% of russians support the invasion' stuff and you really do not see Russian cops go easy on people doing political acts of protest.

E: found the video
https://vk.com/video-52268442_456242379

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 22, 2022

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Marshal Prolapse posted:

So besides nukes, what does Russia care so much about in that wreckage to already do a salvage op?

A piece of the true cross.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Anything they don't want the west to see. If they leave it, it won't stay there.

It may also be a damage assessment to figure out exactly what went wrong, which they couldn't really do while it was still on fire with unknown quantities of ammunition or rocket fuel or whatever in the hold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This owns. Even if it’s all just a weird happenstance of random accidents, this is absolutely gonna make the Russians super paranoid and throw them off balance, well whatever little bounce they have.