Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I almost did that to my car at a lake during a drought-ridden summer where acres of lake bottoms became "beach". Drove my car out on the "beach" and discovered when we tried to leave that the dry sand was only the top 6" or so and underneath was just mud. My father-in-law and I went at it with shovels for two days before we found a tow-truck driver who had a wench to pull it out, breaking a tie-rod in the process. FIL said it was the most fully stuck car he'd ever seen. :confuoot:

A few hours after we finally got it out, it started to rain.

Hours earlier:

That's not "beach" I'm parked on, it's what-was-lake-bottom-months-earlier.

EDIT: Found a video of the aftermath:

https://i.imgur.com/fjknNSn.mp4

Imagined fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Imagined posted:

I almost did that to my car at a lake during a drought-ridden summer where acres of lake bottoms became "beach". Drove my car out on the "beach" and discovered when we tried to leave that the dry sand was only the top 6" or so and underneath was just mud. My father-in-law and I went at it with shovels for two days before we found a tow-truck driver who had a wench to pull it out, breaking a tie-rod in the process. FIL said it was the most fully stuck car he'd ever seen. :confuoot:

A few hours after we finally got it out, it started to rain.

Hours earlier:

That's not "beach" I'm parked on, it's what-was-lake-bottom-months-earlier.

EDIT: Found a video of the aftermath:

https://i.imgur.com/fjknNSn.mp4

I didn't do that with a car, but Folsom Lake in CA like 6 years ago was I think at the lowest it had ever been since the dam was built so you could go walk around and see the foundation of buildings from the town that used to be there. I walked too close to the dam and lost both of my shoes and had to walk like 4 miles back over gravel without them.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Matt's Offroad Recovery has a lot of videos of people stuck in "dry" lakebeds.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
It was definitely a weekend when the bad driver was me.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Zero One posted:

Matt's Offroad Recovery has a lot of videos of people stuck in "dry" lakebeds.

I used to really like his channel, until that whole felony insurance fraud problem.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Imagined posted:

we found a tow-truck driver who had a wench to pull it out, breaking a tie-rod in the process.
drat that is a strong lady, did you tip her afterward?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

drat that is a strong lady, did you tip her afterward?

Of course! I wouldn't want a lady that strong mad at me!

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

meatpimp posted:

I used to really like his channel, until that whole felony insurance fraud problem.

Even before the felony, he had already completed the transition from "tow driver with youtube channel" to "youtuber with tow truck". It's much less interesting to me now and I've stopped watching his videos.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Dave Inc. posted:

It's because they wanted to drive through that space since going wide takes too much effort, and you ruined their lazy turn by very rudely existing there.

I see people use that spot as part of the turning arc all of the time if nobody is there, just casually driving on the wrong side of the road.

My personal pet peeve is the lazy left turn. Your steering wheel has more than 45 degrees of rotation. Enter the intersection, then turn the wheel sharply enough to make your turn rather than getting mad at me for occupying the space that would have let you be lazy.

The worst was when a city bus started his turn from the stop bar of the eastbound left turn lane and ended up head to head with me in the southbound left turn lane. We had to get the line of 20 cars behind me to all back up 50 feet so he could finish his lazy turn without hitting me. Took 4 light cycles. If he had gone halfway through the intersection before starting his turn he would have cleared me easily.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Zero One posted:

Goes
Over
Any
Terrain
Sandbars
Excepted

I get the reference.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

PremiumSupport posted:

My personal pet peeve is the lazy left turn. Your steering wheel has more than 45 degrees of rotation. Enter the intersection, then turn the wheel sharply enough to make your turn rather than getting mad at me for occupying the space that would have let you be lazy.

The worst was when a city bus started his turn from the stop bar of the eastbound left turn lane and ended up head to head with me in the southbound left turn lane. We had to get the line of 20 cars behind me to all back up 50 feet so he could finish his lazy turn without hitting me. Took 4 light cycles. If he had gone halfway through the intersection before starting his turn he would have cleared me easily.

i drive a car in the oversize truck and suv capital of mankind(Texas) and i cannot tell you the number of people who glare at me because im in the far left turn lane and they didnt see me initially and assumed they were going to be able to cut through it

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/Phylan/status/1517507755162148864?s=20&t=dshBRAViE7jwbYoT4Ib6Rw

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Some of the replies underneath this video are a window into the world of bad drivers. So many people stating the driver didn't cross over into the oncoming lane despite there BEING A loving VIDEO where the guy is probably 18" over the centre line and wayyyyyy too close to the cyclists. But still these arseholes insist the driver did nothing wrong. "the cyclists should've given way because there's an obstruction in their lane!" Yeah, an obstruction they can safely get around whilst still being on their own side of the road.

I'm genuinely stunned at how many people have licenses but don't know how to loving drive and will argue the toss despite the court convicting the driver.

https://twitter.com/SheffNW_NPT/status/1517083692690288642?s=20&t=31AkhiQ-jjxG0lG09FVnGA

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 22, 2022

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I watched that video and was like huh, is anything going to happen?

In the rural Netherlands, that's just everyday commuting (except you aren't on a racing bike). If you don't hit the other, there was enough space, and what is shown in that video is quite a margin by the standards here.
Of course, here it can be assumed that cyclists are competent and won't suddenly swerve because people cycle every day, which I guess is not the case elsewhere.

Not sure why the driver had to cross the center line though, maybe because the foliage is so close to the road (I noticed this a lot in the UK). Hard to judge the speed but in NL it might be around 80 km/h - if drivers had to slow down each time two side-by-side cyclists come in the opposite direction you wouldn't get anywhere, because there are so many cyclists here.

Entropist fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 22, 2022

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
it didnt look that far over but i'm glad there's something in your country to enforce the rules.

cops here in the US wouldnt even raise an eyebrow much less do anything about it

a couple months ago i was riding, going about 15ish mph on a street with a 25mph limit and speed humps and some dumb lady tried to pass me on the left (crossing double yellow lines) by gunning it really hard. she didnt account for another car coming her way and so after gunning it she hit one of the speedbumps at 30-35 and bottomed out the mercedes on the speed hump THEN she mashed the brakes and got behind me as i accelerated up to 20+. what a loving moron.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
No fine for the guy who's literally parked across a lane? The dangerous situation starts there, regardless of the other guy being aggro about passing

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

That’ll buff right out

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

BraveUlysses posted:

it didnt look that far over but i'm glad there's something in your country to enforce the rules.

cops here in the US wouldnt even raise an eyebrow much less do anything about it
Yeah I wouldn't say driver was 18" over the center line, looks more like a tire width but we can't see if he continued going over the line after the videoing cyclist. Either way he seems like an aggressive dick who hates cyclists and purposely made that spot a little tighter just for the sake of being a dick. Most of the time being a dick in the US isn't punishable so yeah, good for the UK I guess for nailing dickheads when they can.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ryanrs posted:

About a year ago I called up Vision Engineering and arranged for their traveling salesman to give a demo at my tiny startup the next time they were in my city. We did not have a direct business reason to buy a 3D inspection microscope. But on the other hand, are you really a cool tech R&D lab without a fancy-pants microscope on your bench?

This was a case where I, the engineering technician guy, knew this particular piece of kit would sell itself once the boss got to play with it. Doesn't even matter that there wasn't an immediate business use.

The plan worked great and it's become one of the most useful instruments in the lab. I use it for electronic soldering inspection. Boss uses it for cleaning optical assemblies and sensors. This particular microscope benefits a lot from an in-person demo, because the website doesn't do it justice. It's absolutely jaw-dropping, Star Trek-level tech, for like $2,300.

We had a couple of these in the lab at oldjob and they're amazing. Strong recommend if you do any work where you have to look at small things.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
https://imgur.com/YeMWVwZ.mp4

quote:

Chair hits VSP cruiser on I-89 (April 21, 2022)

Early Thursday afternoon, an unsecured chair flew out of the back of a pickup truck headed south on I-89 in South Burlington and smashed into a Vermont State Police cruiser being driven by Trooper Dylan LaMere. Luckily, no one was injured, but the cruiser sustained significant damage. The pickup truck's driver received a ticket for having an unsecured load. This is a good reminder that Vermont law requires loads in motor vehicles to be properly secured at all times for the safety of everyone on the road.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Warning: NYTimes Magazine

I Lived the #VanLife. It Wasn’t Pretty posted:

Our van had 238,646 miles on it and drove like a dream — a recurring dream I have in which I am driving a car but the brake and accelerator pedals are all confused, so that sometimes I attempt to brake and nothing happens, and other times the car zooms uncontrollably forward. (In fairness to the van, this was perhaps a result of operator error.) Many of my driving difficulties are most likely attributable to a lack of confidence. I am a bad driver because I am so preoccupied with driving safely that normal drivers have trouble predicting my actions (which are also surprising to me), and because I have poor spatial reasoning. Despite this, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania declared me legally able to drive when I was in high school, and since then, no other entity has called the bluff.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/danielpunkass/status/1518010918009024515

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

And then what? Left the scene of the accident?

Looks like he's getting dragged in the comments for it and having to defend himself. Also it looks like he didn't do anything defensive other than step on his brakes. Seems that he's patting himself on the back for being unremarkable.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 25, 2022

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

LloydDobler posted:

Looks like he's getting dragged in the comments for it and having to defend himself. Also it looks like he didn't do anything defensive other than step on his brakes. Seems that he's patting himself on the back for being unremarkable.

A few years ago I was in an Uber in Los Angeles at around 10:00pm because my wife didn’t want me to take my bike and Metro back to Studio City from Venice.

There was so insane accident and a car literally was in the air crossing all the lanes of the Ventura Freeway. Driver did a great job oif avoiding it but it was so unreal to experience that.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

LloydDobler posted:

FWIW none of those accounts seem like real people, weird bot harassment

If he wasn't at fault and nothing hit him, then he has no reason to stop right?

Sounds like he called it in and forwarded the video to highway patrol which seems like the right move when your wife and kids are in the car. It does not look like there is anywhere protected to pull off for quite a ways in his video.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

bigbillystyle posted:

Yeah I wouldn't say driver was 18" over the center line, looks more like a tire width but we can't see if he continued going over the line after the videoing cyclist. Either way he seems like an aggressive dick who hates cyclists and purposely made that spot a little tighter just for the sake of being a dick. Most of the time being a dick in the US isn't punishable so yeah, good for the UK I guess for nailing dickheads when they can.

Loads of people were suggesting the cyclists give way which is just a little bit infuriating and telling at how many people don't actually know the rules of the road. You only have to give way when there's something on your own side of the road (in this case the cyclists) that would mean you needed to cross the centre line into the other lane to safely get around. The cyclists were obviously still over their own side and were able to get around fine. Ironically it looks like the driver needed to drift over for some reason and so is the person who needed to give way hence the charge.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

New Zealand can eat me posted:

FWIW none of those accounts seem like real people, weird bot harassment

If he wasn't at fault and nothing hit him, then he has no reason to stop right?

Sounds like he called it in and forwarded the video to highway patrol which seems like the right move when your wife and kids are in the car. It does not look like there is anywhere protected to pull off for quite a ways in his video.

I think you have a correct interpretation of the event.

Even if you could pull over, are you sure there is something you can do? Are you sure there is something you can do that would not make it worse? Is your vehicle going to be in the way of other travellers or emergency vehicles (I see this a lot around here)?

Is there a safe place to stand if you exit your vehicle? Some countries insist that, upon exiting a vehicle on the highway, you don a yellow vest and retreat behind crash barriers (metal or concrete). Every time someone has crashed into me, I've had to grab them by the clothes and gently move them onto the sidewalk; "Hey, let's get off the road. You OK?"

Some of these things I was trained for in one of my driving jobs. Protect the patient, any passengers, and yourself, before rendering aid. Stop when safe and call in, even if others stop, even if no one is around.

You won't even be trading injuries if something bad happens, you'll just get hurt, too. Worse, you could cause someone else to be hurt.

That said: I've always stopped when safe and gone back. It's almost always either been, "Yeah, that's a dead motherfucker.", or, "They're fine, help is on the way." The one that wasn't became an inferno immediately. No amount of anything could have saved that situation.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Pulling over on a freeway in that situation as a bystander is at best probably not that helpful and at worst will be very dangerous.

I’m on a volunteer SAR team, during a wilderness first aid class the local fire chief (also one of the instructors) was discussing the differences in responsibility in situations like that when acting as a civilian vs a first responder (e.g. when out on a call, in a team vehicle, etc) and was pretty direct that not only do you not have a responsibility to stop as a civilian in a case like that but it’s also a bad idea, and that he wouldn’t himself either and would instead call in help. He shared multiple recent examples from nearby freeway incidents where someone stopped to assist someone, got killed, and the person they stopped to help was fine.

He added that it’s gotten to the point where if there’s an accident on the interstate and the ambulance is the first to arrive, they won’t stop, and instead will drive past and circle back until either CHP can provide a traffic break, or a much larger truck from the FD can act as a protective barrier.

If y’all would stop and help at your own risk, go for it, but I don’t think not doing so is worthy of criticism. It’s pretty straightforward in situations like that that the number one priority is your own personal safety; adding an injury won’t help anyone

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I saw this guy handing out chips today.

That's a truck I don't trust.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

StormDrain posted:

I saw this guy handing out chips today.

That's a truck I don't trust.

Right to jail. Right away.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1519952476966899712/photo/1

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.autoblog.com/2022/04/29/man-jumps-ford-f150-raptor-breaks-back/

quote:

Footage of the incident posted on Instagram by the truck’s owner, who goes by Caz, shows the Raptor rapidly approaching a jump, catching a good amount of air, and landing on four wheels. “I aimed for 60 [mph] but it may have gotten beyond that as I wasn’t looking at the speedometer. Got a nice, smooth jump but unfortunately I landed a perfect pancake; all four wheels at the same time,”

The extra travel didn’t soften the blow, and the landing broke the driver’s T12 vertebra in three pieces. He told The Drive that the injury caused the worst pain he has ever felt. “I literally threw the truck in park and dove onto the ground to straighten my back,” he explained.

In a follow-up Instagram post, Caz wrote that doctors repaired his vertebra with two rods and six screws. He said that the truck is fine; he hasn’t been able to drive it because he’s been hospitalized since the incident, but his father has and reported that there is nothing wrong.

“I knew there was a chance to damage my truck off-road, but I never in a million years thought about me being physically harmed. It’s definitely a wake-up call,” Caz concluded. He wasn’t the only off-roader that landed in the hospital with a back injury. He added that the driver who hit the same jump at about the same speed in an identical truck right after his run was hospitalized with a fractured spine as well.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

He added that the driver who hit the same jump at about the same speed in an identical truck right after his run was hospitalized with a fractured spine as well.

Science marches on

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Platystemon posted:

Science marches on

:laugh:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I honestly think the world is so reasonably safe nowadays that people have just let their decision-making "muscle" atrophy. The idea that a bad decision could injure or kill them is just, uh, whatever.

I don't think we should strive to make the world more dangerous, but I think there's room to adjust how we discuss and handle risk in society to emphasize that, once you make certain fuckups, the price is serious injury or death.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
No these dipshits always existed they just couldn't as easily exercise their ability to be morons in a 400hp truck marketed specifically to them

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Proud Christian Mom posted:

No these dipshits always existed they just couldn't as easily exercise their ability to be morons in a 400hp truck marketed specifically to them

This. Plus, social media didn't exist in the past, so these morons couldn't proudly post their stupidity for the world to see.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I could swear I've read that studies show that people drive more recklessly the safer they perceive their car to be.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Imagined posted:

I could swear I've read that studies show that people drive more recklessly the safer they perceive their car to be.

i'm pretty sure this was observed after ABS became standard on enough cars in the 90s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

Imagined posted:

It seems to me that whenever the first snow hits every year, newer AWD cars are overrepresented among those I see having gone off the road. Because "I have AWD I have all the traction snow don't bother me" or something.