Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Infinitum posted:

Noone cares. Take it to QCS. loving talk about board games, jfc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNgr-ET0buQ&t=60s

I'd probably like to start sleeving some games, and I'm going to start with Ark Nova.

I don't know much about ~sleeves~
Are matte sleeves the way to go?

Does anyone have any recommendations? My only requirements are that they don't slide around on top of each other - the pack-in Merchants of the Dark Road sleeves left me with a bad taste in my mouth, when all the other components were solid.

YMMV since you aren't in North America but I generally buy a Giant Box of Mayday premium sleeves every year during their holiday sale. Depending on card size you can get them about 50% off during the sale and I have several dozen games sleeved in them with no issues.

I've found them as good as pretty much any other sleeve and at the holiday price, they are the cheapest way to sleave a ton of cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Lawlicaust posted:

YMMV since you aren't in North America but I generally buy a Giant Box of Mayday premium sleeves every year during their holiday sale. Depending on card size you can get them about 50% off during the sale and I have several dozen games sleeved in them with no issues.

I've found them as good as pretty much any other sleeve and at the holiday price, they are the cheapest way to sleave a ton of cards.

I recall checking this out and that the shipping and currency conversion to CAD ruined it, which broke my heart. But that was a few years ago.

Ubik_Lives posted:

I found Ix to be an interesting expansion, because every element of it sounds pretty meh, but to me, it's greater than the sum of its parts. The dreadnaughts, the shipping track, and the tech tiles all add a bit of overhead for minor changes, but they work together to open the board up.

In the base game I found it had an issue where you were basically cycling through different currencies to get what you needed; water to get spice, spice to get money, money to get the swordmaster and/or high council seat, then just stick with spice for heighliners. This had the dual frustrations of getting stuck behind people in those cycles for the action spots, and that a good number of spots were useless without those currencies. With the expansion spice no longer buys money, with money now primarily coming from the shipping track. Spice can be spent on tech tiles, and money on dreadnaughts, which give you additional uses for those currencies. Dreads may sound a bit crap with only being 3 strength instead of 2, but their immortality means you can use them in the early game to wander into every fight for the lower level rewards.

Combined with the epic game mode which makes the game go a little longer and gives you a starting trash card to make trashing more viable, I find you have more options and more strategies to pursue. But if you liked how constrained the worker placement was before, the expansion will make the board feel more open even with the same number of spaces.

Hm, that sounds okay... Not paying full price for it but if I see a sale I will probably grab it. Nice write-up.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The Great Wall reprint is up on Gamefound, wondering if it's good.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Lawlicaust posted:

Sorry, but I’ve never heard of this. I’m guessing holiday sale = December? What should I look for in case I decide to, e.g., sleeve my entire Dominion collection as a Christmas miracle?

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Admiralty Flag posted:

Sorry, but I’ve never heard of this. I’m guessing holiday sale = December? What should I look for in case I decide to, e.g., sleeve my entire Dominion collection as a Christmas miracle?

I have an entire sleeved Dominion collection. Don't sleeve Dominion. Buy a few sets of Base Cards and replace them as they start to show wear.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Poopy Palpy posted:

I have an entire sleeved Dominion collection. Don't sleeve Dominion. Buy a few sets of Base Cards and replace them as they start to show wear.

I bought a huge set of Dominion - like every expansion up to Adventures(?) maybe. All sleeved...every sleeve on upside down (ie. "hole at bottom"). We joked about them being "rain sleeves" for a while... but while I was laughing outside, inside I was dying every time I shuffled.

I ended up spending like 5 hours re-sleeving. Then like days later we got Gloomhaven and never played Dominion again.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
So Sleeping Gods: Distant Skies is up on Gamefound and I'm debating grabbing the original game (Sleeping Gods )as well. I've never seen a game so polarizing among reviewers I generally respect - some really love it and call it groundbreaking, whereas others seem pretty meh on the game itself.

I've collected a lot of Laukat games and have yet to find one that 100% clicks for me - always beautiful art and some interesting mechanics, but the sum of the pieces never quite coming together (although I haven't gotten around to Near and Far / Empires of the Void II yet).

Naturally, I'm considering buying two more Laukat games with at least two unplayed in the hopper. Anyone a little more caught up on his work got thoughts on SG for me? :)

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Admiralty Flag posted:

Here’s the one after Christmas this past year:

I usually buy enough to hit the free shipping and sleeve most of what I’ve bought in the last year. The deal is a price reduction too not a coupon so you can stack it with other coupons.

All of those are at least a dollar off the regular price and then I had another 5% coupon. So a $2.79 pack of premium Sleeves was 1.78 - 5%. Generally the best sleeves deal around. Boardlandia also puts Mayday sleeves on sale during the same time prior with a lower shipping threshold abs similar prices. They generally just sell out really fast whereas Mayday direct does not.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

jmzero posted:

I bought a huge set of Dominion - like every expansion up to Adventures(?) maybe. All sleeved...every sleeve on upside down (ie. "hole at bottom"). We joked about them being "rain sleeves" for a while... but while I was laughing outside, inside I was dying every time I shuffled.

I ended up spending like 5 hours re-sleeving. Then like days later we got Gloomhaven and never played Dominion again.

It's funny, Dominion is a perfectly good game but I feel like it's just fallen out of fashion somehow. All our friends and us stopped playing it too and I can't even really say why.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I still play dominion

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dominion may have actually been the physical game I've played most recently

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Memnaelar posted:

So Sleeping Gods: Distant Skies is up on Gamefound and I'm debating grabbing the original game (Sleeping Gods )as well. I've never seen a game so polarizing among reviewers I generally respect - some really love it and call it groundbreaking, whereas others seem pretty meh on the game itself.

I've collected a lot of Laukat games and have yet to find one that 100% clicks for me - always beautiful art and some interesting mechanics, but the sum of the pieces never quite coming together (although I haven't gotten around to Near and Far / Empires of the Void II yet).

Naturally, I'm considering buying two more Laukat games with at least two unplayed in the hopper. Anyone a little more caught up on his work got thoughts on SG for me? :)

I'm in on it. I liked the original Sleeping Gods. It's fun if you play it more like a "narrative adventure" of just going around discovering poo poo, instead of like a "balanced" campaign game. Somewhere in the midgame you can build your crew in such a way that you're pretty durable and not much threatens you anymore, so I just boated around reading cards and getting into trouble.

I don't think it's groundbreaking, GOTY, or redefining the genre, but it's enjoyable enough that I put 16 hours into the first campaign. Probably 2-3 plays more to see everything and consume the game.

e: haven't played any of the others

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 23, 2022

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
For Viticulture fans, this is worth a read: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2853449/april-21-south-america-cultural-consulting-and-fix

TL;DR: They screwed up with representation of historical conquistadors (who committed heinous acts of genocide) in the Viticulture World expansion but are taking very thoughtful steps to fix it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Mayveena posted:

It was at the Gathering. Candice Harris played it and really enjoyed it, said it reminded her a little of Automobile, one of my favorite games.

Did they mention anything about the aesthetics or was it just a plain prototype? Automobile sounds good, that’s the best Wallace

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Cheers all for the advice on sleeves.

Went to a card shop nearby and ended up grabbing some KMC Hyper Mats they had on special. Sleeved a handful and they're the perfect fit and feel great.
I don't really have any delicate sensibilities about protecting my cards, and everyone at my table aren't gronks, but I can forsee Ark Nova going into heavy rotation - so may as well invest in it a little bit.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's funny, Dominion is a perfectly good game but I feel like it's just fallen out of fashion somehow. All our friends and us stopped playing it too and I can't even really say why.

The latest expansion is really good, we just played it at a game day a few weeks ago. It’s still a staple game for us.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

Podima posted:

For Viticulture fans, this is worth a read: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2853449/april-21-south-america-cultural-consulting-and-fix

TL;DR: They screwed up with representation of historical conquistadors (who committed heinous acts of genocide) in the Viticulture World expansion but are taking very thoughtful steps to fix it.

I don't think I'll hold a grudge against Stonemaier on this one but holy poo poo how do you think making cards such that you have to say "hey these were bad people, just fyi" is a good idea rather than just removing those loving cards.

good on em for getting it right but Jamey looks like a clown on this one

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Let’s see, he allows the designers to put one of the worst Europeans in history into the game, prints the game up, and then sends it to a Venezuelan woman who has ancestors that were murdered by this man. He’s an idiot. I cut him no slack.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I think the adage "never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." is probably apt in this instance.
Probably could have used with some cultural cross checking, but they've corrected course swiftly.

------------------------------

Cleaning out the garage as we need room for some old furniture, cause I'm getting a big rear end table tomorrow :slick:

Thought this thread might appreciate some oddities. These are all 35~ years old at this point.

Blanked my name out on the last one.

Twister got binned, and I'm going to pop the rest into storage inside.
The copy of Monopoly is probably closer to 4 decades old - as it's using Rich Uncle Pennybags old design.

I've cleaned up the Checkers and Chinese Checkers boards as they are solid hardwood and in excellent nick, and I'll bust them out when my Niece and Nephew are a bit older.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

Infinitum posted:

I think the adage "never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." is probably apt in this instance.
Probably could have used with some cultural cross checking, but they've corrected course swiftly.

That's what makes it worse - he had cultural advice, and decided that "these people were bad" text was good enough justification to include actual villains of history in a game about making wine. There isn't a "woops i goofed" big enough for how stupid this is. The course correction might get the game right, but this is some permanent clown makeup for Jamey.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Cleaning out the garage as we need room for some old furniture, cause I'm getting a big rear end table tomorrow :slick:

Thought this thread might appreciate some oddities. These are all 35~ years old at this point.

Gettin some strong hoyle intro vid vibes here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2pp4fqHIj4

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

JoeRules posted:

That's what makes it worse - he had cultural advice, and decided that "these people were bad" text was good enough justification to include actual villains of history in a game about making wine. There isn't a "woops i goofed" big enough for how stupid this is. The course correction might get the game right, but this is some permanent clown makeup for Jamey.

At first all this made me think the game was set around the era of the Aztec / Inca empires because why would you include even an allusion to them otherwise. :psyduck:

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Infinitum posted:

Twister got binned, and I'm going to pop the rest into storage inside.
The copy of Monopoly is probably closer to 4 decades old - as it's using Rich Uncle Pennybags old design.

Twister was the best of the bunch there, followed by the hardwood sets.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Infinitum posted:

Pretty sure that's the same version (or at least a reprint of the same design) as the one I had growing up and it was older than I was.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Twister is a well designed game and I ask everyone to treat it with respect.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Apr 23, 2022

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

For us I think we just played the poo poo out of it so hard that we burned out.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Here's Ark Nova sleeved. The rest of the boards go on top.

Pretty happy with it.

armorer posted:

Twister was the best of the bunch there, followed by the hardwood sets.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Twister is a well designed game and I ask everyone to treat it with respect.

Honestly would have kept Twister, but the playmat was rotting.

And yeah the more I think about the hardwood boards the happier I am Mum still kept them about.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Pretty sure that's the same version (or at least a reprint of the same design) as the one I had growing up and it was older than I was.

It'a a pre-1985 copy. Though there are no dates I could find anywhere on the box.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Monopoly#Marketing_under_General_Mills_1968%E2%80%931985
- Copy lists "A Division of General Mills Fun Group"
- Rich Uncle Pennybags doesn't appear in the 'O' as he does in later editions.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Playing Talisman tonight hell yeah

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Quote-Unquote posted:

Thank you, the thread will never forget your sacrifice.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

JoeRules posted:

The problem may stem from Jamey in essence asking how to handle Cortez as part of a historical scenario. The consultant never thought to say "just don't" because from a professional perspective Cortez was too big a part of history to simply ignore. So the reply came from a position of "if you really want to do this, do X" and he took it as "do X, it will be fine". Still a gently caress-up, and almost certainly his, because such a consultant needs to be able to say "don't" rather than feel compelled to make everything work. But not malicious.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I remember one of my favorite board games growing up was The Game of Life and yeah that game is lovely but I had a bunch of fun as a little kid just spinning the wheel and moving the car.

HOWEVER

I was always confused about why there were holes in the cars. I didn't actually know how to play or win at the game, I just knew that I had to spin the wheel and move the car. Didn't realize that there were pegs that would go into the car to represent family members you've gained along the road. Admittedly, I didn't realize it because the copy I played was old and missing the pegs. At some point the original owner just put in some broken colored toothpicks instead to replace the pegs and that was all fine and dandy but from my point of view I just saw a game with a board, some cars, a spinner, and then a bunch of broken toothpicks.

Other fun childhood tabletop gaming experiences include:

Winning monopoly by trading all of my properties for all of the money in the bank so the person with the properties couldn't even do anything with them.

Playing the hell out of that one version of battleship that sprays your opponent with water when you hit one of their submarines.

Monopoly making me bleed my own blood which turned into a chain of events that ended with me getting suspended from school for a few days.

Nobody bothering to correct me when I kept mispronouncing a particular board game's name as"titty winks."

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

The good game from that era and style was Careers.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Quote-Unquote posted:

i love talisman

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Explain the monopoly one pls

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Two hours in. Nobody has died and nobody is close to winning.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Leraika posted:

Explain the monopoly one pls

Basically he had almost all of the properties and I had some and he had almost all of the money and I didn't so I just sold them to him and hey, I had all the money, nobody could play anymore anyway so I won

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Quote-Unquote posted:

Sounds like Talisman!

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
While we’re on the topic, house-ruled Monopoly extending the game and making it unfun and miserable is good actually because it furthers the original intent of The Landlord’s Game to educate young people about how renting is a system designed to benefit the wealthy.

In house-ruling the game to have occasional infusions of cash (likely to poorer players) and eliminating the auctions of property that is unpurchased, people have recognized the unfairness inherent in the game and sought to control it, but have only succeeded at delaying the inevitable outcome. Inevitably wealth is consolidated in a single player’s hands, but this more fair and managed system now generates even more apathy and misery, taking 3-4x as long to conclude.

Yet as in the original game, there is a way out! The players must join together and refuse to engage in the system, even if it’s Aunt Megan’s favorite Puppy-opoly with the Pug token that her best friend just bought her, and Mom is pleading that we can play your lumber for wool game AFTER this one, just please lets play hers first. But you KNOW that isnt gonna happen. We have to be strong, only together can we throw off the chains of post holiday family time!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

silvergoose posted:

The good game from that era and style was Careers.

Careers ruled! Great game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Quote-Unquote posted:

do you have any cool cards yet