Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Holy gently caress that is a buttload of stuff coming. Love the two major update books (Dominion Divided and Empire Alone)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.

SirFozzie posted:

Holy gently caress that is a buttload of stuff coming. Love the two major update books (Dominion Divided and Empire Alone)

Yeah after Tamar Rising I'm looking forward to the next few books. It's going to be nice to get screentime for the FWL too.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
There's a succession war game coming too!

Restocks:

A Game of Armored Combat box set
Clan Invasion box set
Alpha Strike Succession Wars cards
Alpha Strike Clan Invasion cards
Total Warfare (existing mercenary cover)
TechManual (existing mercenary cover)
BattleMech Manual (existing mercenary cover)
Alpha Strike Commander’s Edition (existing mercenary cover)
Strategic Operations: Advanced Aerospace Rules (existing mercenary cover)
Interstellar Operations: Alternate Eras (existing vintage cover)
Wolfhound IIC premium plastic miniature
2022 Releases:

Fiction: Redemption Rifts (Very soon, says Late April) Dealing with Wolf Dragoons post battle of Terra
Fiction: Land of Dreams (May) (Founding of the Clans Vol 3)
Fiction: Shrapnel #9 (June)

Miniatures: Premium TimberWolf (June)

History/Fiction: Empire Alone (July): Dealing with Wolf Empire/Free Worlds League post Battle of Terra

Rules: Tactical Operations Advanced Rules and Tactical Operations Advanced Units and Equipments (Summer- Both merc cover reprints)

CountersPack: Battleforce (2Q) What it says on the tin, counters for the Battleforce versions

Fiction: A question of Survival (Dealing with one of Jade Falcon Remnant states), Summer

Technical ReadOut: Dark Ages (Third Quarter)

Fiction: The Damocles Solution: (Deals with Davion attempting to take New Avalon) 3Q

Box Set: Alpha Strike (3Q)

Fiction: Shrapnel #10 (September)

Merc Lances: (Kell Hounds/Northwind Highlanders/Eridiani Light Horse/Hansen's Roughriders) .. (Fall) This is going to annoy folks, because at least at the beginning, each will be exclusive to a different distributor.

And a new Kickstarter is coming, aimed at even MORE mercenary goodness (50+ Mechs and Vehicles!) for fall. Also a GDL ForcePack, Dominions Divided (dealing with the Ghost Bears post Battle of Terra, New Force Manuals for the factions, and announcing in the future.. (no release date given), a new Succession Wars-board game: Resurgent Empires, and Battletech:COMMAND (nothing noted about that one.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

oh drat, an alpha strike box set?

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Dr. Lunchables posted:

oh drat, an alpha strike box set?

Yup:

Clashing Armies

The commline ablaze with determination.

An army of war-forged metal titans on the heights.

The enemy entrenched in the valley below, weapons charging.

On your order, your force surges toward their foes, banners streaming as weapons sear and render and shatter! Will your star-spanning empire win the day? Only you will decide!

It is the thirty-second century. Mankind has waged a millennia of war across thousands of worlds of human-occupied space. The Great Houses. The Clans. The Periphery. A myriad of star empires claim ascendance, as others wane or fall. Fighting and dying for their ambitions are the MechWarriors who owe them fealty, each the master of a towering avatar of destruction: the BattleMech. You command a detachment of these brave warriors dropped onto an unforgiving battlefield: only your wits and tactical acumen will bring victory, or leave you a casualty on a forgotten world.

BattleTech is the world’s greatest armored combat game. In Alpha Strike, you take command of large-scale engagements, fueled by tabletop miniatures gameplay designed for the modern wargamer. Inside is everything you need to start tossing dice and moving miniatures on your game table.

Contents

13 high-quality, fully assembled (unpainted) miniatures; including two new redesigned miniatures, the Wraith and Pouncer, and seven all-new variants, in new poses.
32-page Rulebook
24-page fiction novella
16-page Universe Primer
13 Alpha Strike Cards
13 Pilot Cards
25 Battlefield Support Cards
1 heavy-stock reference sheets
2 Punchboards of trees and game counters
9 small fold-up cardboard buildings
6 medium fold-up cardboard buildings
2 dice

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

quote:

BattleTech Mercenaries Kickstarter

Fall 2022

Across the BattleTech universe, mercenary warriors are an undeniable presence on the battlefield. Whether they fight for pay, personal glory, the thrill of combat, or just the hope of keeping their unit together a little longer, mercenaries have played a decisive role in conflicts around the Inner Sphere for centuries.

Building on the wild success of the Clan Invasion Kickstarter, the new campaign from Catalyst Game Labs will bring more than 50 new plastic miniatures to your battlefields, including BattleMechs, and for the first time ever, plastic combat vehicles to augment your ’Mech forces. Among the miniatures in production are the Firestarter, Griffin IIC, Ostroc, and Kraken ’Mechs, as well as the Galleon Light Tank, SRM/LRM Carrier, and Demolisher Heavy Tank. A variety of mercenary-themed stretch goals will also be included.

This is going to ruin me. The bolded part, in particular.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
"We've destroyed everything you brought at us, including your own custom mechs, Mr. GM. How are you going to challenge us?

Gamemaster smiles (an evil smile) and places 6 LRM Carriers and 6 Demolishers on the field for the price of a couple mechs

"ahhh.. retreat......!"

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I recognize the Griffin and maybe a Wasp in the Kell Hounds box, but what are the other two (and am I right about the Wasp)?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Atlas Hugged posted:

I recognize the Griffin and maybe a Wasp in the Kell Hounds box, but what are the other two (and am I right about the Wasp)?

Wolfhound, Griffin, Hatchetman, Crusader.

The only 'Mechs I can confirm are new are the Sagittaire in the Eridani Light Horse box and the Penetrator in the Hanson's Roughriders box.

Edit: Actually, strike that. There's a Regent in the Gray Death Legion box so we could get some ilClan stuff. Here's hoping for a Hammerhead!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 23, 2022

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

PoptartsNinja posted:

The only 'Mechs I can confirm are new are the Sagittaire in the Eridani Light Horse box and the Penetrator in the Hanson's Roughriders box.

Edit: Actually, strike that. There's a Regent in the Gray Death Legion box so we could get some ilClan stuff. Here's hoping for a Hammerhead!

Yeah, the Hammerhead loving rocks.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I'll be buying the Alpha Strike box for two reasons:
  • Alpha Strike is the poo poo
  • Fold up buildings

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

PoptartsNinja posted:

Oooh it's a Wolfhound. I actually have plastic one of those from the mech packs they did like 10 years ago to support the 25th anniversary box.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

PoptartsNinja posted:

Not a Hatchetman! It's a Nightsky.

The Northwind Highlanders box Atlas is apparently supposed to actually be a Gunslinger, I feel like I've seen mentioned.

The full list of 'Mechs we haven't seen before in any new upcoming product in plastic are:

Gunslinger (allegedly) (Northwind Highlanders)
Sagittaire (Eridani Light Horse)
Penetrator (Hanson's Roughriders)
Nightsky (Kell Hounds)
Regent (Gray Death Legion)
Pouncer (Alpha Strike)
Wraith (Alpha Strike)

And as far as I can tell there are new poses/variants for:

A total of seven other 'Mechs in the Alpha Strike box between the following 'Mechs: Stinger, Wasp , Locust, Blackjack, Archer, Warhammer, Atlas, Warhawk, Timber Wolf, Fire Moth, something with missiles?
Timber Wolf TC (premium mini)
Jumping Thunderbolt (Eridani Light Horse)
Jumping Hatchetman (Hanson's Roughriders)
Enforcer (Hanson's Roughriders)
Jumping Highlander (Northwind Highlanders)
Jumping Crusader (Kell Hounds)
Jumping Shadow Hawk (Gray Death Legion)
Catapult K2 (Gray Death Legion)

Plus everything else that's going to show up in the Kickstarter.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Can't wait to see what the redesigned Wraith mini looks like, the 'mech is a popular pick at my table

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Looks like I'll be picking up Total Warfare along with the new Tac Ops books. :)

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

I was surprised how little the Penetrator was changed. They really only touched the arms.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

alright, i've slacked a lot and i'm only about 60% done my hex terrain, but we're playing a small test game on saturday of CBT. partially to renew interest among other potential players in our friend group, partially to keep me motivated to keep on my terrain work. i have enough to make a ~3 ft x 2.5 ft game board. we're planning on playing hexless with DFA's mods (just the ones for playing hexless) and QRS. i'm going to be using a tablet to keep the rules pdf on hand, but also use flech's sheets. for our first game, i'm thinking a simple 2v2 and mark up the flech's sheets manually. if we get to playing a second game, i'd like to try using the full suite of flech's automation.

any tips/pitfalls to watch out for? i'll be taking some pics and posting of course. my buddy has like 2+ companies of mechs painted already that i've printed for him, so we'll see what we can get on display in the scenery.

Game report time!

Had a pretty enjoyable time, it went really well and it renewed enthusiasm in all of us for making more mechs, terrain, objective markers and getting a campaign going. My terrain went together pretty well, a few pieces had a bit of a height discrepancy that I was a little bummed about but I think it was due to some of my earlier structural pieces (the interlocking hexes and risers underneath the terrain surface). Unfortunately one of the most prominent ones was the peak of the big hill on the table lol, but oh well. It was too much work to dig in and take it out and fix it once I noticed it. We had just enough terrain to have a good couple scraps, enough variance to give cover and to force tough tactical decisions, but we're definitely looking at making more and more varied pieces. The battlefield, taken the day before on my phone (with Hatamoto Chi for scale):

Bonus setup pic with a future project using the same terrain (10 mm WW2):

Game day pics taken by Saalkin (painter of the mechs and the other player) experimenting with a macro lens:

We played 2 games, first was a Champion and Bushwacker for me versus a Catapult and Bushwacker for Saalkin. Took about 2 hours and that was with us slowly stepping through all the rules phases, taking loads of pictures, and deliberating greatly on the tactical options that we had. The second game we added a Hollander to my team and a Panther to his team, and we were on track to finish that game in under 1.5 hours but then Flechs Sheets crashed on my phone and we weren't able to recover the session :( That was a bummer but the game was basically a forgone conclusion anyway, so it wasn't such a big deal. Next time we'll be running Flechs Sheets on 2 tablets probably instead, but yeah, playing with that sped up the game dramatically. We ran full automation this time, we're thinking next time we're going to roll for a few things to heighten the suspense.

Going to make a bunch more terrain before the next time, and play a 2v1 or a 3 way free for all next game. After that, we're going to start playing a campaign using DFA's rules. Here's what I'm planning to make in addition to a bunch of roads and some more little greebles, objective markers, etc. to scatter around the board:

(let me know if the pictures are too much and I can offload them to an album instead)

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I’m wicked jealous of that terrain

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Amazing terrain!

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I've been organizing my minis lately and picked out approximately a Level III's worth of ComGuard. First attempt feels like it's going pretty good:

Not decided on what basing to go with yet, and the lighting is pretty terrible since I took it in my kitchin at 1 am, but I'm pretty happy with how it's looking so far, and the scheme only took ~an hour and a half from start to finish for that.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I really like what the larger scale of your hexes does for the game visually. My biggest gripe about BT is that the maps make MG range look like spitting distance. Your board makes things seem way more reasonable.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

Strobe posted:

I've been organizing my minis lately and picked out approximately a Level III's worth of ComGuard. First attempt feels like it's going pretty good:

Not decided on what basing to go with yet, and the lighting is pretty terrible since I took it in my kitchin at 1 am, but I'm pretty happy with how it's looking so far, and the scheme only took ~an hour and a half from start to finish for that.

That's looking cool. I just painted up a King Crab myself yesterday for an Eridani heavy lance. I've been using up my Citadel contrast green to end up with some more SLDF mechs.

As a note, anybody have tips for getting even coats with Citadel contrast paints? Some of my mechs end up looking like they're a mottled camo rather than a solid color. I've been rolling with it but there are some that I'd like to have solid.

Related, the army painter speed paints I've picked up are really good. I feel like the consistency is just better and I've started to paint up some bolder colors like Draconis Sword of Light and they're turning out better IMHO. The problem is that right now I don't have an olive drab color for them, the green they had in stock is more vibrant. On the plus side I have the colors for a Constructicon lance (thanks to PTN's Alpha Strike thread for inspiration on that)

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

That terrain is fantastic, hot cocoa.

Also, I'm really loving the jump sculpts from the new wave/KS. I hope they do a jumping Phawk.

Does anyone know if there's a list of mechs in the new KS yet?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

No, I got the impression it's going to be a lot of vees though.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Holybat posted:

That's looking cool. I just painted up a King Crab myself yesterday for an Eridani heavy lance. I've been using up my Citadel contrast green to end up with some more SLDF mechs.

As a note, anybody have tips for getting even coats with Citadel contrast paints? Some of my mechs end up looking like they're a mottled camo rather than a solid color. I've been rolling with it but there are some that I'd like to have solid.

Related, the army painter speed paints I've picked up are really good. I feel like the consistency is just better and I've started to paint up some bolder colors like Draconis Sword of Light and they're turning out better IMHO. The problem is that right now I don't have an olive drab color for them, the green they had in stock is more vibrant. On the plus side I have the colors for a Constructicon lance (thanks to PTN's Alpha Strike thread for inspiration on that)

IIRC correctly from comparisons between Contrast and Speedpaint, the pooling issue you're talking about with Contrast is Just How It Is when you use it on flatter surfaces (or gently curving ones like Space Marines), and Speedpaint is slightly better at not pooling like that.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

PeterWeller posted:

Does anyone know if there's a list of mechs in the new KS yet?

A lot of older 'Mechs have gotten new art, and since the new artwork is basically a cell-shaded 3D render rather than a sketch that means anything with new art could be on the table!

We could get any or all of the new ilClan 'mechs with and I'm kinda hoping we get all of them.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 25, 2022

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I gotcha. Mainly I just want to get a Firebee and a Phawk 2C so I can have all the verimechs in nice new plastic.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Cthulu Carl posted:

IIRC correctly from comparisons between Contrast and Speedpaint, the pooling issue you're talking about with Contrast is Just How It Is when you use it on flatter surfaces (or gently curving ones like Space Marines), and Speedpaint is slightly better at not pooling like that.

Speedpaint also reactivates when you try to use different paints over it or if the mini ever gets wet even weeks after being applied. They're trash-rear end garbage paints and I will never recommend them for anything, ever.

Contrast has a window where the paint can be wicked around the surface that it is on, and this can be used to reduce awkward pooling. I've done a number of mechs in Contrast and will try to get some pictures of them. It still won't be a completely uniform coat but you can get it looking fine.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Holybat posted:

There was a video passed around semi-recently about someone using contrast paints to paint Gundam models.

The trick to deal with tide pools is to drybrush the areas you don't want any pooling with white until the pooling is completely covered/hidden and then go back over with a very thin layer of contrast paint to re-stain the surface without taking advantage of the contrast properties. It's kinda-like drybrushing with contrast paint.

Edit: I couldn't find the video but I have done it and it works pretty well.

Strobe posted:

Speedpaint also reactivates when you try to use different paints over it or if the mini ever gets wet even weeks after being applied. They're trash-rear end garbage paints and I will never recommend them for anything, ever.

They need to be varnished, but via airbrush or rattlecan (and then probably varnished a second time just in case), since brush-on varnish will reactivate them. It's inconvenient and irritating that Army Painter knows this is a thing but doesn't post any sorts of warnings about it.

The re-activation has something to do with the chemicals they used to get the paints to self-level, so it's a feature of the paint. :(

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 25, 2022

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

There was a video passed around semi-recently about someone using contrast paints to paint Gundam models.

The trick to deal with tide pools is to drybrush the areas you don't want any pooling with white until the pooling is completely covered/hidden and then go back over with a very thin layer of contrast paint to re-stain the surface without taking advantage of the contrast properties. It's kinda-like drybrushing with contrast paint.

Edit: I couldn't find the video but I have done it and it works pretty well.

They need to be varnished, but via airbrush or rattlecan (and then probably varnished a second time just in case), since brush-on varnish will reactivate them. It's inconvenient and irritating that Army Painter knows this is a thing but doesn't post any sorts of warnings about it.

The re-activation has something to do with the chemicals they used to get the paints to self-level, so it's a feature of the paint. :(

Cool thanks for the tip PTN. And thanks to you and Strobe bringing up the reactivation thing. I guess I haven't noticed or run into it yet, but painting miniatures is a pretty new experience for me all around so I normally only have 2 maybe 3 colors on the mechs

Edit: as a side note I really like the Army Painter dropper bottles over the Citadel pots I have.

Holybat fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 25, 2022

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Oh yeah, citadel pots are poo poo.

I transferred my contrast paint collection into dropper bottles along with a couple of stainless steel agitator beads. They're thinner than other Citadel paints so it's a pretty painless transfer that wastes less paint than the Citadel pots (are designed to) do. It makes shaking them in my vortex mixer much easier too.

Some contrast paints (white especially, but anything with white in it like ultramarines blue and militarum green) settle really hard and need to be shaken up a lot.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 25, 2022

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

Yup I was noticing the paint wasting of the pots so I just bought some dropper bottles and ball bearings off of Amazon this morning. Tossed in a vortex mixer too since you brought that up thanks.

That's really good to know about those particular citadel contrast colors re: white paint btw. I thought I had shaken them up enough but now I'm second guessing since the last few minis I painted I was using the militarum green that I wasn't as happy with the result.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Militarum Green is a very good contrast for mechs, I have an entire company of them done. I'll try to get pictures today. They may even be in this thread still.

EDIT: found a WIP of them post-contrast

Strobe posted:

I have also got some hobby done lately, and this time it was even BattleTech. They're still WIPs, but I managed to get main colors and basing on two Lances of ELH:

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

Strobe posted:

Militarum Green is a very good contrast for mechs, I have an entire company of them done. I'll try to get pictures today. They may even be in this thread still.

EDIT: found a WIP of them post-contrast

Those look awesome, exactly the reason I wanted to paint up a company of ELH/ SLDF too. Guess I need to be more thorough in the paint shaking and trying that dry brush technique. :v:

What color did you use for the cockpit glass?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Holybat posted:

That's really good to know about those particular citadel contrast colors re: white paint btw. I thought I had shaken them up enough but now I'm second guessing since the last few minis I painted I was using the militarum green that I wasn't as happy with the result.

It's easy to spot when the Apothecary White has settled out, it's much harder to spot the Militarum Green. My white paint is in a dropper bottle but my Militarum Green hasn't been transferred yet so it's still in an unopened Citadel pot. Citadel's pots make it even harder to tell that the paint isn't properly mixed because the broad bases spread out the pigment more and make it harder to see that it's settled.

Here's what they look like when the paints are settled:

You'll notice there's a faint light green ring around the very bottom of the citadel pot, and the white has gone three-tone.

Here's what those pots look like after 60 seconds in the vortex mixer:

If there's even the slightest hint of separation you need to shake your contrast paints more. They work great when they're properly mixed, I haven't had trouble with any in particular.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 25, 2022

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Holybat posted:

Those look awesome, exactly the reason I wanted to paint up a company of ELH/ SLDF too. Guess I need to be more thorough in the paint shaking and trying that dry brush technique. :v:

What color did you use for the cockpit glass?

I ended up going with Teclis Blue. I'll try to get some more recent pictures of them.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Strobe posted:

I ended up going with Teclis Blue. I'll try to get some more recent pictures of them.

Here we go:

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Cthulu Carl posted:

Dana Howl's insanely in depth video which goes through every single paint comparison finds it's a mixed bag like all paints. Some of them are just kind of not awesome regardless of who is making them (IIRC the purples aren't nice), some have annoying glossy sheens you might not want. For the most part its gonna come down to cost and how much of a dealbreaker the stupid citadel pots are to you, I guess.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Having to spray varnish after a single basecoat layer totally destroys any desire I had for those speed paints, that's incredibly unacceptable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Dana Howl's insanely in depth video which goes through every single paint comparison finds it's a mixed bag like all paints. Some of them are just kind of not awesome regardless of who is making them (IIRC the purples aren't nice), some have annoying glossy sheens you might not want. For the most part its gonna come down to cost and how much of a dealbreaker the stupid citadel pots are to you, I guess.

Thanks for linking this video, her comparisons were pretty cool and I can see the problems that speedpaints might give me in the future. I'm interested in experimenting with more of them, but most of the painting I've been doing have been with the Citadel contrast paints and that's been OK for me as a complete noob.

The cost difference is really shocking but I guess with the problems that other folks have with the speedpaints in the thread it makes sense. But going to just best of both worlds it. Some of both types and ditching the citadel pots for dropper bottles.