Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

New Zealand can eat me posted:

On the flipside, it's insane that these things are still stable down at 0.844v!! https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-5800x3d-cpu-undervolting-monster-efficency-sub-1v-same-performance-runs-cooler-lower-power/

That multicore cinebench r20 score is almost twice as high as the M1 Max at very similar power levels. I wish he would have done a geekbench pull so we'd have a better comparison to make

(Funny to see the comments just making poo poo up like "1.2V should easily be stable at 4.65GHz", given the above post)

I'm guessing nobody has an epyc 7773x to tell us what voltage it runs on its 8 core 3d cache CCDs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Yay, installed the ECC memory for my 5950x without a hitch!. Now to spend some time tuning it to be a bit quicker than 3200 22-22-22-45(I think that's the right number).

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
was doing some research of amd bios and agesa ahead of getting a 5800X3D wondering what i missed out on from now updating for a long time, and man, we ryzen users have put up with this all the way up to right now lmao

Tom's Hardware posted:

AMD's Newest BIOS Code Reportedly Wreaks Havoc on Performance, Stability

By Aaron Klotz published February 18, 2022

Stay away from 1.2.0.5 BIOS updates

AMD's recently released AGESA 1.2.0.5 code for modern AMD Ryzen and Athlon CPUs has been plagued with issues. According to multiple reports, BIOS updates packing the new AGESA code have been prone to serious problems, including CPU performance losses, memory instability, overclocking bugs, and much more.

As a reminder, AGESA code is used to create a BIOS. According to complaints on Reddit, multiple Ryzen users have noted their CPU performance has dropped with the new AGESA code in benchmarks such as Geekbench 5 and Cinebench R20. Some also report higher CPU temperatures and possible WHEA 19 errors when compared to the previous AGESA 1.2.0.3c patch.

But the problems get worse -- according to DeskModder, AGESA 1.2.0.5 is prone to serious PBO and memory bugs as well. High-frequency memory kits such as DDR4 3600MHz are no longer running stably with a rated XMP profile for some users.

The news outlet also confirmed further Reddit reports about reduced CPU performance, with CPU frequency drops of up to 100MHz in single-core and multi-core workloads. Additionally, 5900X and 5950X users have complained about the 2nd CCD "collapsing" with the new AGEA update.

(...)

DeskModder notes that most of these issues have been a problem since AGESA 1.2.0.4 -- with the exception of the CPU-related performance bugs. Somehow, AGESA 1.2.0.5 inherited all the issues found in the previous version while adding bugs of its own.

Thankfully it appears some motherboard manufacturers are acting proactively. According to ComputerBase, Asus completely halted official BIOS updates to AGESA 1.2.0.5 and will be skipping it in favor of AGESA 1.2.0.6b.

However, most motherboard manufacturers, including Biostar, Gigabyte, and MSI, still have official AGESA 1.2.0.5 BIOS updates available on their respective websites.

If you are an AMD Ryzen owner, we would highly recommend staying away from both AGESA 1.2.0.4 and 1.2.0.5 BIOS updates if at all possible. For now, it appears that 1.2.0.3c is the latest stable AGESA code until AGESA 1.2.0.6b patches arrive which should hopefully fix all these problems.

and agesa 1.2.6.0b sounds like a mess as well according to reddit and official forums

1.2.0.7 it is!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think 1.2.0.6 B is the one you need for the 5800X3D at least, and 1.2.0.7 just came out so it might take a bit for manufacturers to add it to all the mainboards.

LtDan
May 1, 2004

Are there any recommended motherboards for the 5800X3D?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

LtDan posted:

Are there any recommended motherboards for the 5800X3D?

not really, since you won't be overclocking there's no point in buying the super-expensive ones

B550 is just as good as X570 if you are unlikely to use many PCIe cards or more than 2 m.2 drives

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I've been using the Asus Prime X570-P for a year and a half and I'm happy with it, and it is now running perfectly well with the X3D. It was the cheapest X570 board available when I got it.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So when are these new CPUs that are suppose to be a "huge leap" (well bigger than usual) over the current generation suppose to come out again?

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
think Zen 4 launch is currently expected around October, before the end of the year for sure

performance rumours seem to be that generational gains are a bit bigger than Zen 2 to 3

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

If you want the yugest leap possible, juicy rumors claim that Zen 5 is a home run just like RDNA 3.

30% IPC gain over Zen 4 (which is ~20% over Zen 3) and doubled core counts finally!

That would mean the 8950X is going to be a motherfucking 32C/64T monster, no thread is safe

:hellyeah:

When? If the previous schedules are anything to go by (and they aren't), I would guess April-July 2023

lih
May 15, 2013

you mean 2024, right

no way Zen 5 is coming only ~6 months after Zen 4

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

lih posted:

you mean 2024, right

no way Zen 5 is coming only ~6 months after Zen 4

Zen 4 is coming in like 4 or 5 months, and current rumors put zen 5 in summer 2023. It's coming much sooner than zen 4 did, in any case. Intel will be on 10ish-month cycles with 14th and 15th gens planned for 2023, and AMD can't compete against those with zen 4 alone. edit: It's 2024 that will be a double year for intel according to current plans (with 20A and 18A products both dropping that year), but the point is, AMD seems to be speeding up their release schedule a bit in order to compete.

I don't know how much i trust red tech gaming, though people at amd talk as if Zen 5 is the most exciting thing they've done since zen 1. and considering zen 4 isn't even out yet, i don't think that's entirely marketing fluff.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Apr 24, 2022

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

kliras posted:

was doing some research of amd bios and agesa ahead of getting a 5800X3D wondering what i missed out on from now updating for a long time, and man, we ryzen users have put up with this all the way up to right now lmao

I have a BIOS with that AGESA (f35 for X570 Aorus Master) on 5950 and I'm experiencing none of these issues FWIW.

From what I've seen some of these issues are real but way way over blown and come down to either specific rare bugs with certain configs or people's OC's weren't nearly as stable as they thought with this AGESA and they flip out.

lih
May 15, 2013

I haven't seen anything suggesting any earlier than late 2023 for Zen 5 and a quick search doesn't come up with anything either?

certainly not expecting the same sort of delay as with Zen 4 but I don't see any reason to expect Zen 5 as soon as April

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Given Zen 4 is based on TSMC's N5, if the plan is to double the core count for Zen 5, AMD must have bought some of the N3 capacity. Not bad considering Apple monopolised N5 initially.

Marketing Zen 4 is going to be tough if Zen 5 really is that big a leap on top of being mere months further out. It won't help that waiting means more time for DDR5 to boost speeds/come down in price.

lih
May 15, 2013

yeah there was a leaked roadmap about a year ago that said Zen 5 is planned for N3 & plenty of reporting that AMD has capacity booked, but there have been reports in the last few months that TSMC is having problems with N3, so there's speculation AMD might have to change plans - either delaying things or using N4 instead or even switching to Samsung, but reports are that Samsung's 3nm isn't going any better

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
TSMC said that N3E was doing better than they thought initially on yields and may pull it forward though.

Its N2 and the follow on upgrades to N3/E that might either be delayed or slow rolled (think early 2026 as far as anyone can tell right now) to ensure they can produce them profitably.

Recent Anandtech article on this: https://www.anandtech.com/show/17356/tsmc-roadmap-update-n3e-in-2024-n2-in-2026-major-changes-incoming

N3E is rumored to have been pulled forward a quarter so it'll (supposedly++) be ready for HVM by mid 2023.

lih
May 15, 2013

if N3 is doing worse than expected but N3E is doing better & being brought forward to help compensate, that could still potentially have some impact on the scheduling of things, but who really knows how it will work out

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
This Zen 5 release date rumor is loving terrible planning wise. I assume it'll be AM5, right? I guess I'll be buying twice, because this 2950X of mine is getting long in the tooth in face of the most recent game releases.

lih
May 15, 2013

they've said AM5 is intended to last for around as long as AM4 so Zen 5 is surely on it at the very least

idk why it's a problem for planning, at this stage it really does sound like it's just going to be a typical close-to-yearly iteration, not a delay like Zen 4 or anything unusually early

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

They'll presumably need a new socket when DDR6 comes but that will be 4 or 5 years at least.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

lih posted:

think Zen 4 launch is currently expected around October, before the end of the year for sure

performance rumours seem to be that generational gains are a bit bigger than Zen 2 to 3

October it is for my ancient PC upgrade then.

New Zealand can eat me posted:

If you want the yugest leap possible, juicy rumors claim that Zen 5 is a home run just like RDNA 3.

30% IPC gain over Zen 4 (which is ~20% over Zen 3) and doubled core counts finally!

That would mean the 8950X is going to be a motherfucking 32C/64T monster, no thread is safe

:hellyeah:

When? If the previous schedules are anything to go by (and they aren't), I would guess April-July 2023

Enticing but I'm not sure I can wait that long.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

punk rebel ecks posted:

October it is for my ancient PC upgrade then.

Start saving your pennies now, then. Zen4 is going to be DDR5 only, which is not expected to improve in price all that much this year given the parts shortages.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Buy the hardware you need, when you need the hardware.

Unless there's already been a product announcement with a release date, you're just torturing yourself by trying to win the release cycle based on rumors and "forward-looking statements". This has always been true, but it's especially true right now.

I was thinking about grabbing a Macbook Air, but the whole internet was COMPLETELY SURE that M2 MBAs were gonna get released at Apple's event back in March -- which at the time was about 2 weeks away. So I waited, and of course there was no M2 anything announced. The rumor mill immediately repositioned itself as being COMPLETE SURE that M2 MBAs will be released in June. I picked up an M1 MBA the next day and I'm entirely happy. It kicks the poo poo out of my old Chromebook.

Could you use an upgrade? Do you have funds? Is the hardware in stock? Then make that poo poo happen.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

mdxi posted:

Unless there's already been a product announcement with a release date, you're just torturing yourself by trying to win the release cycle based on rumors and "forward-looking statements". This has always been true, but it's especially true right now.

I was thinking about grabbing a Macbook Air, but the whole internet was COMPLETELY SURE that M2 MBAs were gonna get released at Apple's event back in March -- which at the time was about 2 weeks away. So I waited, and of course there was no M2 anything announced. The rumor mill immediately repositioned itself as being COMPLETE SURE that M2 MBAs will be released in June. I picked up an M1 MBA the next day and I'm entirely happy. It kicks the poo poo out of my old Chromebook.

Could you use an upgrade? Do you have funds? Is the hardware in stock? Then make that poo poo happen.

While I agree to some extent, having a basic level of awareness of upcoming products can help you make an informed decision. In this case, I think identifying an upcoming product launch and going, "I want to build a new system around that," is not strange or something to be discouraged. Zen 4 and AM5 will be a good point to build a new system for people looking to do that.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I just want to know when the really fast (ie b die) ddr4 will start to be dumped.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mdxi posted:

punk rebel ecks has been talking about upgrading from their 2500K for literally years now I think at this point it's just a conversation piece / tradition

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

I just want to know when the really fast (ie b die) ddr4 will start to be dumped.

Dumped? Never. It'll just be quietly discontinued and supplies will dry up and prices will eventually spike, not drop, as people who aren't ready to jump to AM5 (or at chilling on Intel boards which seem like they'll continue to support DDR4 for a while still) continue to search for them.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, I don't see DDR4 b-die ever getting cheaper.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

If the PC-133 module I used to use to cut open boxes is any indication, I would start checking junk drawers in ~15-20 years

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah ddr4's gonna get more expensive as ddr5 replaces it and it gets rarer, not cheaper, this has been the case with every ram generation so far. cpus kinda go out of vogue and fall off in price to near-0 with time (outside good tier stuff retro-builders buy), but everyone with a 5 year old ryzen 5000 or i3-12k is gonna be looking for ddr4 in a few years when 32 gigs isn't enough to run chome and excel at the same time comfortably

i remember cheaping out on ddr2 amount, figuring i'll upgrade when i need it, and then a few years later when i needed the extra ram checking prices and figuring i might as well buy a whole new pc instead for only a bit more. lesson learnt lmao

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017
If you only need corporate desktop tier ram, it’s cheap as poo poo used.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
also if you need ecc registered, holy poo poo was just hundreds of gigs of that poo poo cheap in 2010s lmao

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Truga posted:

also if you need ecc registered, holy poo poo was just hundreds of gigs of that poo poo cheap in 2010s lmao

Yeah, anything you can harvest from ex-corporate machines ends up being hilariously cheap. Which is how I ended up with an entire NAS made out of a Z440 workstation with a Xeon 1650v3 and 112GB ECC RAM all shipped for under $300.

Maybe not the world's most power-efficient machine, given it's Haswell, but it sure works fine for everything I need it to do.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Truga posted:

yeah ddr4's gonna get more expensive as ddr5 replaces it and it gets rarer, not cheaper, this has been the case with every ram generation so far. cpus kinda go out of vogue and fall off in price to near-0 with time (outside good tier stuff retro-builders buy), but everyone with a 5 year old ryzen 5000 or i3-12k is gonna be looking for ddr4 in a few years when 32 gigs isn't enough to run chome and excel at the same time comfortably

i remember cheaping out on ddr2 amount, figuring i'll upgrade when i need it, and then a few years later when i needed the extra ram checking prices and figuring i might as well buy a whole new pc instead for only a bit more. lesson learnt lmao

I dunno about previous generations, but DDR3 is still easily available and no more expensive than DDR4. Right now, a full generation after it's been obsolete. Go look at newegg. DDR3 16gb kits are basically the same price as DDR4 16gb kits.

Cycles of production & supply from 15-20 years ago are not what happens today. In a world where lightbulbs have computers in them, the old, cheap tech has extended lifespan for cheap devices.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

FuturePastNow posted:

What does burning cache smell like?

burning cash

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

It's kind of a hermit crab shell game, DDR3 became especially cheap and plentiful late in the lifecycle when its final process shrinks allowed it to use fab capacity that other industries no longer had any need for, because they were targeting future gains at smaller sizes.

One of the issues with DDR4 is that the process size started around 30nm, and then shrunk down to ~10. That dragged it across multiple sizes that already had a lot of spoken for capacity. That combined with the pandemic meant that many industries, such as automotive, had to abandon plans targeting modern poo poo and drop back down to 28nm+. I think we're 5-10 years out from having any real additional capacity at those sizes.

Another compounding issue is that each attempted process shrink is less likely to be successful at scale, only a few snags were hit along with the way with 4, but 5 is still a massacre. Samsung is having a bit of a meltdown. AFAIK Micron is the only company making DDR5 worth a drat right now

Here's a decent summary pulled from the semianalysis substack

quote:

The culture in Samsung semiconductor has gotten so toxic, that the foundry is even allegedly lying about the yields. Korean media reports that there is an ongoing management overview and audit. The result of this review is likely to be a reshuffling of management and teams similar to that of the reorganization of the wireless unit last year. The later reports of lying even go as deep as alleging that Samsung Foundry lied to customers and the Samsung chairman on 5nm, 4nm, and 3nm yields. These various reports seem quite credible given how many media outlets in Korea are reporting it and how many local experts have chimed in. We won’t even be diving into the corporate espionage that Samsung committed on TSMC during the transition to FinFET.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
There's also the bit where DDR4 is gonna simply be used for a variety of applications where price is more important than raw speed for a long time, because DDR5's need for extra chips for ECC and power control will always make them more expensive, all other things being equal. But no one's going to use pricy B-Die for that; they'll just the cheap 2133 crap that's good enough to get the job done and no more.

DDR4 may not see "rarity" price spikes in general, but equally it's likely not going to see heavy discounts as the entire industry moves to DDR5 in short order the way we saw with DDR2 -> 3 or 3 -> 4.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
we have seen INSANELY heavy discounts in the past year, fwiw. I got 4x8 3600 cl 16 Ballistix ram for I think £93 after taxes a few months back and shipping and stuff, it was easily at least 150 a year ago.

ddr4 has dropped like a rock but you need to keep an eye out for promo because it's still in high demand - the scarcity of DDR5 and associated price and both AMD and value conscious Intel 12th gen builders are all keeping demand up. I doubt you will be seeing places needing clearance promo for a bit, but it's for real trending straight down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
I've got a 3600 I wanna sell but I kind of like having a known working set of parts, and that will be my last non-current AM4 CPU. what's the cheapest secondhand option? its for a b450 so I think comparability should be good