Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Only week two and I'm already pulling hate in Aglaia multiple times as a Dancer. Get your acts together, pubbies! Or at least let me have a drop so I don't have to keep running this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Thundarr posted:

Only week two and I'm already pulling hate in Aglaia multiple times as a Dancer. Get your acts together, pubbies! Or at least let me have a drop so I don't have to keep running this.

I'm sorry, what?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

S.J. posted:

I'm sorry, what?

As I said. Somehow I pulled hate on two different bosses in one run. Not usually my expectation when I'm running a ranged phys job!

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Thundarr posted:

As I said. Somehow I pulled hate on two different bosses in one run. Not usually my expectation when I'm running a ranged phys job!

Were you actually getting agro because all three tanks were dead/had stance off/did no damage (seems unlikely) or did you just get hit with one of the triple tank busters because your alliance's tank was dead? (Happens all the time)

Edit: I guess as phys ranged the latter would also require the rest of the DPS in your alliance to not be pressing buttons, but yeah.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Theris posted:

Were you actually getting agro because all three tanks were dead/had stance off/did no damage (seems unlikely) or did you just get hit with one of the triple tank busters because your alliance's tank was dead? (Happens all the time)

Edit: I guess as phys ranged the latter would also require the rest of the DPS in your alliance to not be pressing buttons, but yeah.

Main tank died, both other tanks were derps who weren't maintaining healthy agro, every other dps was a derp who wasn't pushing buttons.

Twice!

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

Thundarr posted:

I can relate, last night I was playing MCH and grabbed aggro on every single boss in Aglaia.

Seeing the swirly red tankbuster marker and just typing an "oh no" in chat to mark my death.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

super-redguy posted:

I can relate, last night I was playing MCH and grabbed aggro on every single boss in Aglaia.

Seeing the swirly red tankbuster marker and just typing an "oh no" in chat to mark my death.

I take eating a tank buster as DPS to be a sign of honor but that's just also kind of sad some times

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

S.J. posted:

I take eating a tank buster as DPS to be a sign of honor but that's just also kind of sad some times

Make Third Eye as Samurai a 50% damage reduction for 1 second so they can eat tank busters in Alliance Raids when they inevitably are the third target for a triple buster.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

S.J. posted:

I play a lot of ranged DPS so while it's nice to know I'm popping off, I also shouldn't be the one eating tankbusters. That's supposed to be the SAM's job!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i dont know if this has been anyone else's experience, but Crystal-tier matches seem way more like stomps than any other rank. as in, once a team wins a fight more decisively than 1-2 kills it just begins snowballing to an extreme degree with how LB charges (and specifically how impactful WHM LB is, which both teams will have the vast majority of the time). respawn takes roughly 15-20 seconds - longer than the advertised 10 due to respawn/death fadeout animations - and that can be a third of a LB in many cases and with the strength of WHM + DRG LB the winning team will be able to coordinate another wipe in many instances and end the game.

it isn't bad necessarily and it certainly beats the 10+ minute OT fiestas that seemed to plague Gold-Diamond, but it can be a bit much.

e: also the wind map blows (lol!) because of how bad the initial mid fight is. just truly awful. shame too because the wind gimmick owns.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I definitely think LB should either be changed to a proper cooldown or alternative methods of building it up for the losing team should be made available (collectable orbs on the ground or whatever). It's giving me bad Overwatch flashbacks, where the ult economy meant that winning the first fight gave you an unreasonably huge advantage over the enemy team if you were able to coordinate ults well. The middle of Cloud Nine could use a slight redesign, too, like having some small flanking pathways or whatever.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Algid posted:

Soge is on Excal so you're competing against a dude with multiple FCs running subs 24/7 who has flooded the house skin market to the point it's the cheapest server on Primal for years now.

Basically don't try to sell unless you're willing to baby those retainers or bot yourself. I don't think he even logs out.

Soge owns over 80 houses (as of last August) across the data center. Probably well north of 100 now.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

gently caress the housing barons. Strip their houses. I don't care if they have multiple characters, or accounts. :guillotine:

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
Put 'em on the streets IRL.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the house barons are funny

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Make their houses our houses. :commissar:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Twenty more wins and I can go back to using other titles.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I hate how the 10 win ones isn't CC, only Frontlines :(

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Kazy posted:

I really should've counted how many matches it took me.

I think it was only like 20, but it's hard to tell how much influence I had. I figure feeding Fantasia into the summoner swarm had to count for something, and Bard is also pretty good at sniping the ice on that one map so I topped "damage done to other things" a few times.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Apr 23, 2022

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Kazy posted:

Only two more to go for me. Insanely annoying how luck based it is.

But it has been a nice way to get experience for jobs I don't like playing.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Pro tip - If you want to make some money, sell airship materials. A lot of FCs just got their first house and need airship materials. Darksteel and Coke are needed in the thousands.

Base mats will go for high prices, but intermediates will go for higher prices since people want to just buy and turn in.

Look up airship/submarine materials and start unloading.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Consummate Professional posted:

Only two more to go for me. Insanely annoying how luck based it is.

But it has been a nice way to get experience for jobs I don't like playing.

Queueing as a group can help. 4 SMNs or 4 SCHs acting in concert will really tilt things in your team's favor

https://old.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/u4ursl/frontline_is_not_in_a_good_place_after_61/

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Mordiceius posted:

Pro tip - If you want to make some money, sell airship materials. A lot of FCs just got their first house and need airship materials. Darksteel and Coke are needed in the thousands.

Base mats will go for high prices, but intermediates will go for higher prices since people want to just buy and turn in.

Look up airship/submarine materials and start unloading.

Hey, thanks! I can mine stuff and I want a bunch of money.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

so i started pvp and uh... i am not very good at it lol

are there any video guides or something

my honest to god advise is two-pronged

first, read your tooltips. I know this sounds obvious but when I was starting out I made a lot of assumptions on how skills worked based on their PvE counterpart and only going back to read them later did I realize they sometimes did something extra. particularly pay attention to the potency numbers - unless PvE content potency directly translates to HP damage done before buffs and debuffs, so knowing what skills you can stack together in a short period of time to do burst damage can help you pick targets, or if you have bind/silence effects to help shut down the opponent.

second, queue for matches. Just Go. Do It. the matches are quick and, truthfully, you lose nothing by queuing for ranked. you're gonna lose a lot, and you're gonna die a lot, but it's important to take a step back after a loss and think about what you could've done differently. personal anecdote - when I started getting higher ranked in sage, I was poking around in the front lines a lot and getting punished for it. So I started hanging back more. that worked out great, but also on the standard and volcano map I'd start getting routed by enemies who'd use the side paths to strike us in the back. So now I pull the camera as far back as I can, and try to make sure I at least have a general idea of where all five of the enemies are at the start of the match. I can't track them forever, but I can at least prevent them from coming up from behind me now.

aside from that, just try not to get tilted. there's no shame in getting a string of losses, even if you're trying to rank. sometimes it happens. you're still getting currencies (and exp) for your troubles. if you feel yourself tilting take a step back.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Consummate Professional posted:

Hey, thanks! I can mine stuff and I want a bunch of money.

Just off the top of my head, sell Darksteel Nuggets, Cobalt Plates, Wolfram Ingots, and Garlond Steel. Hundreds of each are needed.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Vitamean posted:

my honest to god advise is two-pronged

first, read your tooltips. I know this sounds obvious but when I was starting out I made a lot of assumptions on how skills worked based on their PvE counterpart and only going back to read them later did I realize they sometimes did something extra. particularly pay attention to the potency numbers - unless PvE content potency directly translates to HP damage done before buffs and debuffs, so knowing what skills you can stack together in a short period of time to do burst damage can help you pick targets, or if you have bind/silence effects to help shut down the opponent.

second, queue for matches. Just Go. Do It. the matches are quick and, truthfully, you lose nothing by queuing for ranked. you're gonna lose a lot, and you're gonna die a lot, but it's important to take a step back after a loss and think about what you could've done differently. personal anecdote - when I started getting higher ranked in sage, I was poking around in the front lines a lot and getting punished for it. So I started hanging back more. that worked out great, but also on the standard and volcano map I'd start getting routed by enemies who'd use the side paths to strike us in the back. So now I pull the camera as far back as I can, and try to make sure I at least have a general idea of where all five of the enemies are at the start of the match. I can't track them forever, but I can at least prevent them from coming up from behind me now.

aside from that, just try not to get tilted. there's no shame in getting a string of losses, even if you're trying to rank. sometimes it happens. you're still getting currencies (and exp) for your troubles. if you feel yourself tilting take a step back.

thanks, lol yeah after my wild tilting in Magic the Gathering i feel pretty ok losing in these PVP matches.

I just won a game with a double kill limit break in overtime so I feel like I'm doing my part in most of these games at least, I kinda want to try all the jobs in here because they all seem pretty cool. But I do also want this XP to go to my jobs that need it lol

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
to add to pvp advice - with few exceptions, the worst thing to do in PvP is to die. this probably sounds obvious but there's a few systems in place that make this especially so that may not be entirely clear at first. especially in the lower ranks one of the best things you can do to up your winrate in CC is to realize you're low on MP, fighting 3v5, and out of defensive buttons, then Sprint back out of the fight and Standard-Use Elixir yourself while you wait for your team to respawn.

very rarely is it worth it to "be a hero" and dive in to save a teammate, in large part because FFXIV's PvP just isn't really designed in a way where that's possible. this isn't like an FPS where you can absolutely go huge and win a 4v1 by a mix of skill, adrenaline, and luck - FFXIV is a game of cooldowns and math, and you just don't have enough abilities to do anything meaningful in those sorts of situations aside from die yourself. there's exceptions to this and it can be worth keeping your eyes open for them but that sort of stuff comes with experience. "I need to not die" is a much easier mantra to keep in mind while you learn the ropes.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Love when you get a warrior player on your team that believes they're invincible and tries to take on the entire 5-man enemy team by themselves. Again. And again. And again.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Love when you get a warrior player on your team that believes they're invincible and tries to take on the entire 5-man enemy team by themselves. Again. And again. And again.

This is what keeps me from playing warrior in pvp. My main survival strat currently is that there's usually someone more important to target than the bard so I can focus on shooting folks as long as things haven't gotten weird.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Hm, I understand people marking the enemy WHM in CC (because being sniped by that loving laser is annoying as hell), but uh, probably don’t try to run through the entire enemy team *just* to get to that WHM.

Also, trapping someone in an explosive trap with Mountain Buster is quite satisfying, almost as satisfying as dropping Bahamut on an entire team

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

All the wolf marks I've gotten out of actually playing PVP has provided me a new Bard glamour.

It's the full Republican's Sagittarius Set dyed Marsh Green and the Yoichi Bow dyed Soot Black.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Algid posted:

Soge is on Excal so you're competing against a dude with multiple FCs running subs 24/7 who has flooded the house skin market to the point it's the cheapest server on Primal for years now.

Basically don't try to sell unless you're willing to baby those retainers or bot yourself. I don't think he even logs out.

Uh alright I mean I'm on Gilgamesh on Aether, not 100% sure where this Soge stuff is coming from, whoever that is. But if I'm in the area I'll watch out lol

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

The Heavensward LP takes on a giant robot! Who would dare miss this?

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Mordiceius posted:

I love these warriors who are super confident in their survivability as red mage because they low to ride low hp and then rely on guard to protect them while they heal up, and then they just die to my DOTS and it's beautiful

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Ah, frontlines. Love to DRK LB and then instantly get perfectly chain-hexed by WHMs.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So, I've got a mod installed that has an interesting interaction with the new PvP builds:

The Demi-Alexander mod has replacement animations and effects for every Demi-Bahamut move... as of 6.0. But it doesn't have behavior programmed for its PvP summoning animation, so it tries its goddamn best.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid
Is it just me, or have they fixed the CC matchmaking?

The past two days all the matches have been pretty balanced with quite a few mirrors. No more all DPS one side 2 tanks and a healer on the other.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I started giving RDM a shot and I've had surprisingly consistently good results, so long as I basically stick to Black Shift except to Silence people.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid
Spoke too soon. Just got one against the instant loss team of WM/War/Pal with only a Gunbreaker on my side.

Love to be cc'd into oblivion 24/7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Runa posted:

I started giving RDM a shot and I've had surprisingly consistently good results, so long as I basically stick to Black Shift except to Silence people.

This is absolutely the way, I just blasted straight through gold into platinum as rdm with only a single loss. The damage output is astounding