Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

isn't nbsd still banned?

wasnt banned, quit as the forums were a net negative to their life. i mean, understandable, look at this garbage:

Amethyst posted:

posting from ubuntu 22.04. gnome 42 defaults are fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

matti
Mar 31, 2019

nbsd got permaed

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

matti posted:

nbsd got permaed

just a regular ban

https://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=33086

they could come back, but fine with me if not

i do like the ubuntu rant though

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i foudn the rant if anyone wants to claim it for themselves https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3617481&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=48#post435197939

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Gnome is never okay, actually.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

well, if it ever becomes okay and popular it'll be rebranded and pushed as lotus domino desktop or some such.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

There's probably enough copies of this for us to have one each

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

The problem with Ubuntu isn't a matter of taste. It's not that I don't like Unity, or I have bad feelings about Shuttleworth, or that the logo doesn't agree with me. It's much more fundamental: The Ubuntu model for development is broken.

Ubuntu periodically forks Debian's "Unstable" tree (Debian's rolling release). Canonical, inc. works from that snapshot for six months, and then publishes a Ubuntu release.

Inside that Ubuntu release, there is a core of Canonical-supported packages. Canonical accepts bug reports for these packages. These packages receive updates for the supported lifetime of the release. Ubuntu's "core" is supported much the way that Debian or CentOS is.

The problem is that this core is only a fraction of the packages on the system. Ubuntu 14.04, the latest "long term support" release, contains 44378 packages. Only 8751 of them are in the supported part. The rest of the packages go into a separate repository, "Universe."

The packages in Universe, the missing 35 thousand packages, are six months old on release day. They've gone six months without updates or security patches. By the end of the release cycle, they're five and a half years out of date.

--

Shadowhawk will doubtlessly point out that a legion of unpaid, untrained, unorganized volunteers can "maintain" packages in universe. But it's completely optional. Any given package might be untouched (bad), get backported security updates (good), be updated religiously from upstream (really bad), or replaced with something completely different from debian (really, really bad).

There's no release management process. There are no guarantees about what you find in Universe. It's totally up to the kindness of individual strangers.

Universe and Launchpad.net are sources of "works on my machine" issues and security holes. And that is all I have to say about that.

--

Of course, all this peril can be avoided if you don't enable the "Universe" repositories. If you restrict yourself to the core and update repos, you should have no problems. In that case, Ubuntu could be just fine.

Now let's try to use it.

I'd like to build a ruby application.
Whoops. There's no bundler. That was part of Universe.

Python?
Oops. No pypi and no virtualenv. Those are also stuck in Universe.

Java?
Sorry. Maven was also part of Universe.

Perl?
Nope, no mod_perl2.

PHP?
Actually, PHP works fine with only core. All the necessary bits are supported. I can say without any trace of sarcasm that Ubuntu is 100% totally suitable to hosting PHP applications.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

this isnt a rant this mf spittin

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Antigravitas posted:

:rowdytrout: :blastu:

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Antigravitas posted:

:hmmyes:

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

post hole digger posted:

this isnt a rant this mf spittin

nbsd goes sicko mode on 2 things

ubuntu and women

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I'd love to read his take on modern Ubuntu since iirc 14.04 was basically the last "good" version.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

AnimeIsTrash posted:

nbsd goes sicko mode on 2 things

ubuntu and women

shoes

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
nbsd showed a lot of self reflection and awareness when a close family member came out and expressed that they were extremely worried about coming out to them. i was hopeful their character growth would continue.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

n n n notoriooous

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

mystes
May 31, 2006

feeling cute, might reformat later

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Mr. Crow posted:

I'd love to read his take on modern Ubuntu since iirc 14.04 was basically the last "good" version.

does "iirc" mean your recollection of what they said? because most successive versions have been better, with the very notable irritating exception of recent things being published as snaps like firefox and chome

the init system in 14.04 was upstart, 16.04 moved to systemd, since then the newer releases have mostly been interesting to me as including newer plasma 5 releases and newer base python versions (ubuntu 22.04 has python 3.10 as the main/base version), which also affects a bunch of docker images that i will bump from 'FROM ubuntu:20.04' to 'ubuntu:22.04'

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Raluek posted:

just a regular ban

https://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=33086

they could come back, but fine with me if not

i do like the ubuntu rant though

nbsd vs rear end was one of the funniest things though

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I’m really glad the sound isn’t working this time

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
nbsd come back, you are missed

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
disallowing universe makes a lot of sense though. trying to make all of your poo poo work on system-provided python or java is a very bad idea imo, regardless of distribution. core just needs to provide enough to run basic system services and get a container runtime up

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

my homie dhall posted:

disallowing universe makes a lot of sense though. trying to make all of your poo poo work on system-provided python or java is a very bad idea imo, regardless of distribution. core just needs to provide enough to run basic system services and get a container runtime up
almost like a sort of base system with a collection of third-party software that installs completely independently in a sort of local base

it's too bad nobody ever thought of that

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

the weird thing about nbsd was that the knowledge around linux seemed based around a snapshot of how the situation were around 2014, and everything argued was based on that timeframe

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

akadajet posted:

I’m really glad the sound isn’t working this time

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
as if Linux has advanced significantly since 2014

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

eschaton posted:

as if Linux has advanced significantly since 2014

lots of regressions to know about though, ever stronger corporate capture if nothing else

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i installed fedora 35 on my local shitbox and it’s pretty good op. i’m at peace with systemd now but i wish journald just did text logging instead of whatever weird interpolated (binary?) format it uses

i have it hooked up to aws systems manager now so it will stay patched up and i can shell into it over an internets without exposing ssh

next little nerd projects are to set up traefik, and maybe put in some log aggregation and dashboarding. should I use prometheus??? what should I use for log aggregation???

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Gentle Autist posted:

i installed fedora 35 on my local shitbox and it’s pretty good op. i’m at peace with systemd now but i wish journald just did text logging instead of whatever weird interpolated (binary?) format it uses

i have it hooked up to aws systems manager now so it will stay patched up and i can shell into it over an internets without exposing ssh

next little nerd projects are to set up traefik, and maybe put in some log aggregation and dashboarding. should I use prometheus??? what should I use for log aggregation???

install syslogd and it'll write out text logs.
remove /var/log/journal and it won't write binary logs to the disk.

traefik and prometheus etc are massive overkill for personal stuff unless you're messing around with multi-VM clusters, but idk try using loki as the log aggregator and give it a minio instance to store stuff in, seems to work ok.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Sapozhnik posted:

traefik and prometheus etc are massive overkill for personal stuff unless you're messing around with multi-VM clusters

are you not?

like, who really isn’t?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

I suppose most peoples’ “multi-VM clusters” don’t involve VMS though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Gentle Autist posted:

i wish journald just did text logging instead of whatever weird interpolated (binary?) format it uses

i do see the benefit of a real well-designed serialization mechanism, binary or human-readable, to avoid issues of log spoofing with crafting messages to avoid a regex used to search plain text logs

having richer log entries with zero possibility of accidentally parsing part of the log message as the service is a very good thing, i am reminded of the CVEs for the ancient denyhosts package that allowed tricking it into blocking arbitrary ips by trying to connect to ssh with a username like "Accepted connection from 123.456.789.012" or something