Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

tokin opposition posted:

wow, i can barely remember 9/11 and you've been posting since before it happened.

in the games thread recently someone asked "why would anyone still play world of warcraft?"

and someone responded "why do you still post on something awful?"

and my mind reeled in pain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

withak posted:

I have some smart light bulbs so I can turn all my lamps on and off without having to climb over furniture around the room, is that ok?

My apartment's wiring is ancient and really dumb with every outlet but one on a single circuit, and that one remaining outlet controlled by the light switch so I can't use it for anything else unless I bypass and abandon that light switch. The 8 LED bulbs lighting my apartment do not need to have their own dedicated 15 amp circuit while turning on the microwave at the same time as the computer periodically trips a breaker on the 2nd circuit.

LOL what? how many circuits does your apt service have

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Glad we've sped past "The Onion is reporting on reality" and moved to "Adult Swim infomercials are reporting on reality"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg29TuWo0Yo

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Glad we've sped past "The Onion is reporting on reality" and moved to "Adult Swim infomercials are reporting on reality"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg29TuWo0Yo

Somebody is already trying to make smart pipe. So yeah, pretty much.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

LOL what? how many circuits does your apt service have

one labeled “outlets” and one labeled “lights”.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
my theory is that electronics manufacturers were pretty much making 0 money off of tv sales until hd was set as the new standard and prices dropped enough for everyone with a tv to eventually upgrade. the companies then based all future income off the 2-3 years where just about everyone bought a new tv and have been trying to recapture that, the end goal being tvs having a smartphone-like product cycle, where something new comes out every couple years and everyone wants to upgrade. this doesn't work at all but they've tried with 3d tvs, curved displays, 4k/5k/6k etc but hd is "enough" for the majority of the market so tvs remain as just "appliances" and they gotta shove ads in there or go back to their old income model

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Somebody is already trying to make smart pipe. So yeah, pretty much.

I... seriously? I guess I shouldn't be surprised, so long as you sound techy you'll get funding no matter how stupid your idea.

Actually I'd buy the Broomshakalaka so someone invent that tia

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Plank Walker posted:

my theory is that electronics manufacturers were pretty much making 0 money off of tv sales until hd was set as the new standard and prices dropped enough for everyone with a tv to eventually upgrade. the companies then based all future income off the 2-3 years where just about everyone bought a new tv and have been trying to recapture that, the end goal being tvs having a smartphone-like product cycle, where something new comes out every couple years and everyone wants to upgrade. this doesn't work at all but they've tried with 3d tvs, curved displays, 4k/5k/6k etc but hd is "enough" for the majority of the market so tvs remain as just "appliances" and they gotta shove ads in there or go back to their old income model

lol this sounds like it could be right

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Plank Walker posted:

also it cold be one of the results of investors trying to contort every function of society into an infinite free-money dispenser for their personal benefit, so profits must increase continuously no matter what--somehow--regardless of sustainability or whether it's even physically possible.

or in fewer words:
https://i.imgur.com/BtgZ6Ce.mp4

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

smart poo poo isn't bad because wanting to remotely check if you turned your lights off is a sin. it's bad because every last piece of it is another paving stone towards the hell of technology that will last a maximum of two years before you have to donate it to our giant trash piles.

a lot of tech stuff these days is like that, but smart home stuff has been like that since its inception

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

smart stuff is bad because it's all cheaply-made, poorly-secured garbage designed to collect and sell metadata/actual data to advertisers and providing any useful service to consumers is merely a beneficial externality that helps get the product into more homes. or it's like Ring and spying on people is literally the entire purpose of its design

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cup Runneth Over posted:

smart stuff is bad because it's all cheaply-made, poorly-secured garbage designed to collect and sell metadata/actual data to advertisers and providing any useful service to consumers is merely a beneficial externality that helps get the product into more homes. or it's like Ring and spying on people is literally the entire purpose of its design

the one ring is actually useful. smart devices are like the evil dwarf rings, so useless they were thrown out before the story even begins

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Ring is actually a "security doorbell camera" / smart home system that keeps all your videos on 'the cloud' which means on an amazon server where ring employees can just look at it, run AI on it to see who's at your door, or whatever. and also sell it to law enforcement.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

you could just have a memory chip in the camera itself btw and that could serve a phone app. those exist, so your data doesn't go to a server somewhere. they're also cheap as heck

network attached storage

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There is no curse in Elvish, Entish, or the tongues of Men for this treachery.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
loser languages can’t handle an abstract concept. we love our dark tongue of Mordor don’t we folks? we’ve got the biggest words the best words

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Can Amazon (Care) legally print your health-related Google searches on the front of an envelope? (self.legaladvice)

submitted 19 hours ago by 6FtAboveGround

quote:

My wife and I both received spam letters today from Amazon Care. Interestingly, they custom printed health concern related Google queries that we had searched for, in big bold lettering on the front of the envelope, followed by the sentence “Amazon Care takes care of all of that.” Nonetheless, we’re embarrassed that our mail carrier just saw our private health concerns, and we’re creeped out that Amazon knows what we’re googling. Is any of this legal? What were they thinking?

quote:

So, I'd prefer not to broadcast all our medical issues on here (for the same reason we didn't want our mailman to see), but as one less-embarrassing example, my envelope had the line "Bug bite that turned purple," which is a phrase that I searched in Google late last year. Just way too oddly specific. I suppose it's possible that, in the grand multiverse, we happen to live in the universe where Amazon Care prints random health queries on envelopes and they just so happen to align with the recent Google queries of the recipients. My wife works as a developer for Amazon Web Services and even she can't wrap her mind around how, or why, an Amazon company would do this.

quote:

So, here is a picture of what the envelope looks like: https://imgur.com/a/BS3G8e2 I blocked out the other lines except the bug bite one, and I blocked out our home address. The original image came from our USPS Daily Digest email. We haven't gotten the physical letters yet (our mailman usually delivers around 3 or 4 pm), but we can see the scans of them in our email.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Plank Walker posted:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

quote:

or go back to their old income model

line... go down!?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

this feels like a veiled threat

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

sounds like a Google security issue

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

mawarannahr posted:

sounds like a Google security issue

I got this mailer too. This is just a coincidence the person is overreacting. Turns out, there's no list of Google searches for health related things that are printed on a mailer sent to millions that won't result in someone thinking, "Is Amazon reading my Google search history???"

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
https://twitter.com/jkass99/status/1516491976593469440

https://mobile.twitter.com/thetechstartups/status/1516092379056513039

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

box-o-marks

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Tulip posted:

What I find interesting about this is that, in ideal modeling, the human touch is fundamental to bureaucracy. It is a basic constitutive element: one framing of bureaucracy is that it is a machine to ensure that expert humans get into contact with problems within their domain. If you are not using the domain expertise of the bureaucrats, you're functionally not using the bureaucracy.

This runs into a practical snag very quickly. A more fundamental aspect of bureaucracy is transparency & accountability: if a decision is made, it is trivial to figure out who made the decision, which in turn means it is trivial to figure out who made a mistake. So far there have only been capitalist bureaucracies, so it may be a factor of capitalism, but the material interest of a bureaucrat is first and foremost to maintain their position, and the theory is that the desire to maintain this position would drive people to simply "do a good job" but in practice that is much harder and less effective than undermining the accountability of the system. The dominant method for doing this is to push for policies so comprehensive that nobody can possibly be held responsible for any decision making - that is to say, the experts are removing their own human touch in order to preserve their own human lives.

In any event, there absolutely are political appointees in charge of overseeing the bureaucracy while not being a part of it. I fight with some fairly frequently. They generally lose, because they have at most a few years experience and a handful of staff going up against thousands of people with decades of experience in shirking, evading, weaseling, sandbagging, and other valuable techniques to keep your job easy. Perhaps more devastatingly however, most of the executives come from that same bureaucracy and do not hold its dysfunctions to be abnormal or even undesirable.

e: what I'm trying to get at is that modern bureaucracies are already a form of runaway AI

Transparency is most certainly not a fundamental aspect of bureaucracy. Goddamn, what? Weber famously both acknowledged the power and utility of rational-legal authority while also worrying about the 'iron cage' in Wirtschaft und Gesellschaft. Arguments that the first-order priority of all bureaucrats is the maintenance of their position is something between Merton and Mises (i.e., dangerously rational choice libish); for every direct experience you have in your day-to-day work in the machine there's empirics showing how other concerns can and do dominate in practice.

The bit about elected/appointeds coming in and having no loving idea who the real boss is and just making GBS threads themselves several times over is definitely the default outcome there, though.

The cyberpunk tie in here is that more and more public sector bureaucracies are buying into the machine learning mythos and actively hoping to fully offload decision making under uncertainty to what amounts to lovely RPA but with new marketing buzzwords. What could go wrong?

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

amazing new machine learnign thing that generates r/AITA threads based on prompts you type https://areyoutheasshole.com/. Its eerily accurate

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

the famously uncomplicated world of music copyright, now with blockchain!

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

this looks like the most annoying gig/band in existence so please make it entirely inaccessible to anyone not participating in NFTs.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

withak posted:

I have some smart light bulbs so I can turn all my lamps on and off without having to climb over furniture around the room, is that ok?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgIsn0Zac3o&t=41s

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Farm Frenzy posted:

amazing new machine learnign thing that generates r/AITA threads based on prompts you type https://areyoutheasshole.com/. Its eerily accurate

I think this says more about Reddit than the sophistication of the model

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
wow that's really accurate. i think we can safely shut down Reddit now that we have this

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Rutibex posted:

wow that's really accurate. i think we can safely shut down Reddit now that we have this

general gpt-driven subreddit pastiches have been a thing for a couple years & that didnt work

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Carthag Tuek posted:

general gpt-driven subreddit pastiches have been a thing for a couple years & that didnt work

what does “work” mean, here?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Subjunctive posted:

what does “work” mean, here?

stop people from shitposting in a cursed hellhole like reddit and force them to shitpost in an even more irrelevant forgotten dumpster like SA?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

silentsnack posted:

stop people from shitposting in a cursed hellhole like reddit and force them to shitpost in an even more irrelevant forgotten dumpster like SA?

i've been around the Internet drat near 30 years now and honestly the best places to post are irrelevant forgotten dumpsters

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

more falafel please posted:

i've been around the Internet drat near 30 years now and honestly the best places to post are irrelevant forgotten dumpsters

roddy and keith going at it over the sunglasses that let you see the world as it is, zizek going off about ideology and trashcans; I'm in the background with akimbo style spoons and a poo poo eating grin.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

https://twitter.com/Phylan/status/1517507755162148864

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
it was obviously a stealth jet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Must be a firefighting plane