Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Manager Hoyden posted:

Lol like I would waste my precious essence on anything but industrial conquest and big game hunting

Watch out, The Left is going to steal it!!!1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Come and take it commies

(imagine a gonzalez flag with my precious essence instead of a cannon)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Manager Hoyden posted:

Come Cum and take it commies

(imagine a gonzalez flag with my precious essence instead of a cannon)

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
One thing I particularly liked about Alan Moore's Miracleman is that after the supermen have taken over the world, ended war, hunger, etc. they also create a non-profit "tinder".

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

"Problematic" as a word is less the worthless. If you have a problem name it. Using problematic is a worthless weasel word that people use to be offended without articulating any actual criticism or leveling a charge.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, that's the point?

If you tell someone they did something "racist" their brain shuts down because "racists" are bad and they aren't a bad person so this guy gets to make his point where he is actually a good person and not a racist.

"Problematic" abstracts it so you can actually engage in a meaningful way while bypassing that "gently caress you dad!" instinct. Similar to "trigger" or "literally everything" if you primarily encounter it online it has been co-opted by people who are loving insane. But that's more a function of "the internet makes you stupid".

Also, I am sorry HR is breathing down your neck after you said a few problematic things after lunch. It happens to the best of us, where a 3 martini lunch goes a little far and then all of a sudden it's a "thing". You'll get through it as long as your numbers are fine.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

It's shorthand to describe something without going into all the details in which the problems are described. However it should only be used with an audience that already know what the "problems" you are referencing are.

** also everyone knows being racist is a problem so there the meaning is not unclear to anyone

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

doverhog posted:

It's shorthand to describe something without going into all the details in which the problems are described. However it should only be used with an audience that already know what the "problems" you are referencing are.

** also everyone knows being racist is a problem so there the meaning is not unclear to anyone

No, everyone knows that racists are bad people. And the person you are talking to does not think they are a bad person.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Vitruvian Manic posted:

No, everyone knows that racists are bad people. And the person you are talking to does not think they are a bad person.

If you pull over a KKK guy who's been calling people (//"%%/()& at work and tell him his behaviour is problematic he is gonna know what you mean.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Gaius Marius posted:

"Problematic" as a word is less the worthless. If you have a problem name it. Using problematic is a worthless weasel word that people use to be offended without articulating any actual criticism or leveling a charge.

Yeah agreed. It's another one of those political jargon terms which doesn't really mean anything. Problematic is just another way to say 'bad' or 'I don't like it'.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

silence_kit posted:

Yeah agreed. It's another one of those political jargon terms which doesn't really mean anything. Problematic is just another way to say 'bad' or 'I don't like it'.

pretty problematic of you imo

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

So you're saying that using the word "problematic" is... dubious.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Problematic is a great word because it serves as a convenient signal that you can safely disregard whatever content in which it was used

I wish it was still as popular as it was back in 2012

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

yeah it's a mushy word for mushy people

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

it also used to be a noun, not an adjective. "the problematic surrounding X" meaning the set of theoretical problems around something, not that something is a problem

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Most of the time(?) it's better to be direct. I want you to stop this specific thing you are doing, you are poo poo and I never wanna see you around here again, etc. However society tends to avoid direct conflict.

Is that good? I dunno.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

doverhog posted:

However society tends to avoid direct conflict.

Does it though? I feel like that might not be correct.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It does. And it's stupid. People wasting their time being petty and sniping at each other and such instead of just dealing with poo poo

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
PHUO: Netflix canceling the animated adaptation of Bone was probably the correct decision because there’s very little chance that it would get enough viewership to justify the project

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

oldpainless posted:

Does it though? I feel like that might not be correct.

Oh you wanna fight, pal??

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

thetoughestbean posted:

PHUO: Netflix canceling the animated adaptation of Bone was probably the correct decision because there’s very little chance that it would get enough viewership to justify the project

I don't think Bone would gain anything in a video medium anyway

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I haven't read the comic because reading feels like work.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

And yet you participate in a text only forums, curious

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Comic books are unreadable garbage. Eye-watering format to consume imo.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

silence_kit posted:

Everything carries several meanings dependent on where and when it is used. All communication is political in this way because of the words used and the thoughts it's trying to express.

Gaius Marius posted:

It does. And it's stupid. People wasting their time being petty and sniping at each other and such instead of just dealing with poo poo

Nah. Sometimes we need polite fictions in order to continue, most people will be able to tell. It's like when you call something "adventurous" its a polite way of saying that something may not be the best to wear in this weather whilst not saying "you look like poo poo take it off". The latter is bound to hurt someone more than a polite statement.

Josef bugman has a new favorite as of 22:55 on Apr 22, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Comic books are unreadable garbage. Eye-watering format to consume imo.

Sounds like you've read bad comics. Good comics are a joy to read

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Is that supposed to be an example of a good one because I don't even know what it's trying to convey except I guess the person is doing a volleyball shot?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Haikyu is a fun series.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Is that supposed to be an example of a good one because I don't even know what it's trying to convey except I guess the person is doing a volleyball shot?

It's using framing and comic art techniques like stretching to convey motion and speed and intensity. It's easy to tell what's going on both in terms of the physical actions taking place and the emotions of the characters. It's an example of a comic book being good

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

christmas boots posted:

Oh you wanna fight, pal??

No. I tend to avoid direct conflict.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

it's bad that sports betting is getting legalized across the country. That will lead to problems.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Gripweed posted:

it's bad that sports betting is getting legalized across the country. That will lead to problems.

Sports betting is lovely but noting beats pokies for the absolute scum-sucking bottom tier of the industry. Or most industries.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Without sports betting we wouldn't have Uncut Gems so it's a net positive

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Gaius Marius posted:

Without sports betting we wouldn't have Uncut Gems so it's a net positive

And without the nuclear bomb we wouldn’t have Grave of the Fireflies

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Without Lowtax we wouldn't be here.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Therefore we should best honor / piss on his memory by having a good time and enjoying ourselves.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Betting should only exist as a national lottery to fund things, and even then its probably bad that it exists.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Josef bugman posted:

Betting should only exist as a national lottery to fund things, and even then its probably bad that it exists.

In all honesty I don't think it's something that you can get rid of. Like drugs, if you don't legalize it and have the state control it, someone else is going to step in to take underground control of it, etc.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Like with the state the worst thing is you're in debt. With loan sharks the worst thing is they murder you, your family, and your friend's family because you owed them money, and they have a reputation to protect

Of course this is assuming a state that isn't the eternally corrupt united states of north america

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Lol at how americans think the US is the worstest most bad thing at everything.

You want corruption? Swap your US citizenship for my wife's russian, we'd really appreciate it. Try your luck in central Siberia. You might even get an iPhone a soldier took off a dead ukrainian and sent home for a budget price! You want police brutality? Take the kazakh passport instead of the russian. You get live ammo and more people dead in a day than the US cops managed in two years of protests. Almaty is great this time of year, it's been months since the last mass killing. Anybody who wants to gtfo the US I surely hope we can make the deal work. Both countries have healthcare. Sure it's about as real as one person=one vote in the US, but it exists right? Couldn't get worse than being US.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 16:54 on Apr 23, 2022