Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

Right?

Think of all the Punisher stickers you see on cop cars and just replace them with the Batman logo for the most part.

Then again, most of them might not go for it since Batman is not way into guns or killing people.

I think that's the rub right there.

He's beating up too many white people for them to comfortably condone his class war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I want a Plastic Man movie in the spirit of The Mask, Booster Gold or even The Tick.

Just make it a comedy action movie, give it some good CGI and cast a lead that can properly ham it up. Don't even worry how it folds into an extended universe and make the character totally into podcasts, Youtube followers, Twitter, making movies and doing late night talk shows. Have it where if a person had those powers, what would they actually do with them? I doubt that "fighting crime" would be high on the list. Have him shoplifting, banging chicks with his...powers...and trying to monetize his weird skills but every once in a while, he saves the day and stops a plane crash or some poo poo.

I think it could be fun.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

BiggerBoat posted:

I want a Plastic Man movie in the spirit of The Mask, Booster Gold or even The Tick.

Just make it a comedy action movie, give it some good CGI and cast a lead that can properly ham it up. Don't even worry how it folds into an extended universe and make the character totally into podcasts, Youtube followers, Twitter, making movies and doing late night talk shows. Have it where if a person had those powers, what would they actually do with them? I doubt that "fighting crime" would be high on the list. Have him shoplifting, banging chicks with his...powers...and trying to monetize his weird skills but every once in a while, he saves the day and stops a plane crash or some poo poo.

I think it could be fun.

Or we could tie it to something that resonates with kids these days. Protecting the environment resonates with kids these days. Plastic is bad for the environment. How about we tie Plastic Man to a villain who wants to destroy the environment... through plastic!

Don't send me a check yet, I'm still working on how this includes the large blue laser beam.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
IIRC didn't this thread come up with the idea that Plastic Man's very existence pollutes the environment because he takes plastic dumps?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The scene where Doctor Manhattan learns he’s been irradiating the people he loves, but it’s BPAs.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

Right?

Think of all the Punisher stickers you see on cop cars and just replace them with the Batman logo for the most part.

Then again, most of them might not go for it since Batman is not way into guns or killing people.

I think that's the rub right there.

I've seen multiple cars with thin blue line Batman logos on them.

Admittedly no cop cars, but at least one fireman.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

ruddiger posted:

He's beating up too many white people for them to comfortably condone his class war.

Most of them are intellectuals, lawyers, actors and whatnot. Hoity-toity professions.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

I think it could be fun.

I know Jim Carrey is probably too old (and maybe retiring) for a Plastic Man Origin movie, but it might be fun to do semi-meta Iron Man thing where the actor's history informs the character. Like maybe Plastic Man was huge in the 90's as this zany superhero that people either loved or hated, briefly tried to become a "serious" superhero in the 2000's, and then kind of faded out of the public consciousness for a while until something happens to bring him back into the spotlight. Could be fun to bounce around his career a bit, though I don't know if "Plastic Man's wife convinced him vaccines aren't real" would be the best fit tonally.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Johnny Knoxville

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

IIRC didn't this thread come up with the idea that Plastic Man's very existence pollutes the environment because he takes plastic dumps?
Nah, it's his piss, and it wasn't this thread. It was from the actual, unproduced Wachowski script.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Freakazoid_ posted:

Johnny Knoxville

gently caress. That would be good.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Mordiceius posted:

gently caress. That would be good.

Plus it would be at least 35 percent voice work, so the old man could give his battered body a rest

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
There is something to be said about the fact that most Batman movies of recent times have had to struggle with the fact that Batman is popular and "cool", but he's also a billionaire who fights crime by just beating the poo poo out of people and everyone kinda knows deep down that won't help and will actually make things worse.

The Nolan films ended with him basically growing up and abandoning cape and cowl, Snyder Batman was a straight up villain until he found Jesus Superman and turned his life around. The planned future films even ended with him finally giving his life and Clarks/Lois's kid taking up the Batmantle.

Even the Lego Batman film was about him learning to be less of a dickhead.

So Reeves/Pattinson Batman being a massive tool who makes things worse isn't really new, it's just them coping with the fact that if you deal with Batman with any sort of seriousness, you realize he's horrible. You either make him the villain, or you find a way to redeem him, but him being Batman kinda needs him to continue to beat the poo poo out of poor people. They haven't gotten (and may never) get to the stage where Bats is actually a force for egalitarian justice.

Basically, if Batman were a true hero his first target would be Bruce Wayne and everyone like him, but that presents a pretty big problem. Riddler had the right idea, but he got the Bane/Killmonger treatment of "yeah, he's right, but's he just too angry/insane/insincere!", but then never presents any other solution except more of the same but a bit nicer and with a smile?

An easy fix for a future Batman movie would be for him to give all his money away or make his company employee owned or something and then beat the poo poo out of someone like Lex Luthor. A Batman who doesn't have oodles of cash for his gear and has to piece together scraps would also be more exciting imo.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Yeah, a true Batman would beat the poo poo out of Musk and Bezos and then Bruce Wayne would be leading the efforts get Amazon warehouses unionized. Like, that's it. Just do that. Make that the Batman film.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah, a true Batman would beat the poo poo out of Musk and Bezos and then Bruce Wayne would be leading the efforts get Amazon warehouses unionized. Like, that's it. Just do that. Make that the Batman film.

Batman ends up creating the Legion of Doom

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
For as common as the "Batman just beats up poor people" idea has become, his primary antagonists in film this century have been terrorists (and aliens). Whenever he does go after street level crime, it's portrayed as ineffective or corrupting him.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

This is a very specific plot point in The Batman. Ok, not Bruce but Thomas Wayne.

It's also touched upon in Nolan's trilogy. Surprise surprise, police can't be reformed in any Batman universe, except maybe the Lego one.

Didn't the Nolan trilogy end with the cops saving Gotham

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

garycoleisgod posted:

There is something to be said about the fact that most Batman movies of recent times have had to struggle with the fact that Batman is popular and "cool", but he's also a billionaire who fights crime by just beating the poo poo out of people and everyone kinda knows deep down that won't help and will actually make things worse.

The Nolan films ended with him basically growing up and abandoning cape and cowl, Snyder Batman was a straight up villain until he found Jesus Superman and turned his life around. The planned future films even ended with him finally giving his life and Clarks/Lois's kid taking up the Batmantle.

Even the Lego Batman film was about him learning to be less of a dickhead.

So Reeves/Pattinson Batman being a massive tool who makes things worse isn't really new, it's just them coping with the fact that if you deal with Batman with any sort of seriousness, you realize he's horrible. You either make him the villain, or you find a way to redeem him, but him being Batman kinda needs him to continue to beat the poo poo out of poor people. They haven't gotten (and may never) get to the stage where Bats is actually a force for egalitarian justice.

Basically, if Batman were a true hero his first target would be Bruce Wayne and everyone like him, but that presents a pretty big problem. Riddler had the right idea, but he got the Bane/Killmonger treatment of "yeah, he's right, but's he just too angry/insane/insincere!", but then never presents any other solution except more of the same but a bit nicer and with a smile?

An easy fix for a future Batman movie would be for him to give all his money away or make his company employee owned or something and then beat the poo poo out of someone like Lex Luthor. A Batman who doesn't have oodles of cash for his gear and has to piece together scraps would also be more exciting imo.

So, you want to make Batman better by turning him into Green Arrow?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The most effective thing Batman could do is kill himself and his all of billionaire contacts.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Does Batman's suit jerk him off? It wasn't explained if it did in the movie

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

live with fruit posted:

For as common as the "Batman just beats up poor people" idea has become, his primary antagonists in film this century have been terrorists (and aliens). Whenever he does go after street level crime, it's portrayed as ineffective or corrupting him.

Yeah, it just became a trope that people just repeat and something writers have gotten away from. Burton Batman was introduced doing that and he did that a lot in comics of the time. However, Nolan Batman *specifically* only goes after organized crime itself and is anti Dent using his tactics on "regular" (in this case mentally ill) people. And after lying to the city and cleaning up organized crime, he immediately quits and tries to use his money to help the entire city before getting ultra paranoid about what he made. And as was stated, Beevis Batman is a villain for 3/4 of the movie.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
Well I mean, Nolan was reacting to the history of Batman in order to generate a version that was not a complete right-wing fantasy. Snyder's approach was to dismiss that possibility altogether.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The only time Batman had any inkling of reaching any sort of potential was Grant Morrison’s Batman Inc concept of him using his resources to fight crime on a global scale but even then it’s spending billions on just a bunch of punching and bloodshed. He’s a tragic failson character that shouldn’t be glorified and only exists so a rich off his parents hard work in the real world basement terminally online dwelling failson in bat pajamas can go punch poor who can’t fight back with his billion industrial weapons while he enlists children in his hosed up crusade probably speaking to some Michael Jacksonesque mental arrested development vs giving them to proper adoptive parents. He supports a system where the Joker can continue escaping and killing so it gives him cause to continue.

Even Frank Miller’s All Star Batman takes the piss out of him.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 25, 2022

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I just find the debates completely tedious. You can do a Batman story where he's an ineffective folly by a billionaire and the appeal of the story is the same as every other flawed antihero e.g. Tony Soprano or Walter White. You can do stories where the police are corrupt and won't touch organized crime so Batman becomes the closest thing to direct action the populace has against them. You can do stories about Batman being a hero fighting space aliens and the Greek pantheon. I don't care. It's up to the audience to be able to read this poo poo and figure out which angle on this complicated and storied character they should be taking and the debates about what Batman should be are just mindless busywork that obscures this. I thought this poo poo was over when we all accepted that both Batman '66 and Batman '89 are great movies, but apparently not.

The one thing you're not going to get away with (relatively, anyways) is that Batman is pretty consistently portrayed as the ultra-wealthy and that status has become increasingly tarnished in recent years. A Batman story that makes sense for the times might be one that acknowledges this, instead of one that, say, intuits that this is fine as long as he's using his wealth to encourage people to vote.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I feel like the unspoken subtext, especially in Gotham, is that Bruce Wayne got so hosed up not only by his parents' murder but because his parents were super-rich, and left him with no real friends or social circle outside them and messed up rich people, and the agency to refuse basically any professional mental health services and instead pursue his furious teenage whims to travel the world getting in fights and joining a ninja terrorist group.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Getting raised by your only friend - an MI6 agent turned servant - probably cooks your brain. It’s like turbo boarding school.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Pirate Jet posted:

The one thing you're not going to get away with (relatively, anyways) is that Batman is pretty consistently portrayed as the ultra-wealthy and that status has become increasingly tarnished in recent years. A Batman story that makes sense for the times might be one that acknowledges this, instead of one that, say, intuits that this is fine as long as he's using his wealth to encourage people to vote.

Although I agree these stories *should* be critical of Batman’s money, the popularity of the MCU makes it pretty clear that audiences don’t care. Marvel’s most popular hero was a billionaire industrialist who dies to save the universe.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Finally a video that can definitively say whether Macguire or Holland is better
https://twitter.com/chip2ner/status/1517880979221712897?t=wIexEYNXSOMqNHNWZ6gNtQ&s=19

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Bad Bunny IS El Muerto

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

My only exposure to Bad Bunny was his brief WWE run. I wrote him off as another celebrity gimmick but he ended up defying expectations.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Have... Have the people who cast him heard his voice?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Ah, I see they've learned their lesson from Morbius: too many people had actually heard of the character Morbius before.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Piell posted:

Ah, I see they've learned their lesson from Morbius: too many people had actually heard of the character Morbius before.

I was going to say, I have no idea who that is. Then again, I don't know who Bad Bunny is either, but that's happening more and more now because I'm old now.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I was a Spider-Man comics nerd as a kid and I still don't remember any El Muerto runs in the Spider-Man comics or why he would be carrying a full movie as an anti-hero.

Sony's greenlight decisions are still blowing my mind. They have quite a few options they can pull from.

I still can't believe that they greenlit an Aunt May solo movie before a Venom movie.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
I googled it and apparently El Muerto was in exactly two issues, Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #6 and 7 from 2006 (and apparently mentioned in a couple Civil War issues)

Piell fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Apr 26, 2022

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu9_m0vm7fM
Skip to 2.39, close your eyes and imagine a pro-wrestler.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Hey if Sony want to pour money into a blockbuster movie about a luchador with a magic mask that gives them super strength who are we to judge?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The commissioner: "The muerto does not kill!"

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
What was the last wrestling picture Hollywood has even made? Nacho Libre doesn't count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Mechafunkzilla posted:

What was the last wrestling picture Hollywood has even made? Nacho Libre doesn't count.

The Wrestler came out after Nacho Libre.