Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

SettingSun posted:

I'm not excited for the prospect of having to wait until retirement for it to release, if FF7R is anything to go by.

i dont think it will be like final fantasy 7 since final fantasy 9 doesnt have a midgar they can stretch out for an entire game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i dont think it will be like final fantasy 7 since final fantasy 9 doesnt have a midgar they can stretch out for an entire game

an entire game of Vivi getting lost in Alexandria while trying to get into I Want To Be Your Canary

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

grieving for Gandalf posted:

an entire game of Vivi getting lost in Alexandria while trying to get into I Want To Be Your Canary

No no no, an entire game of marrying everyone to everyone in Conde Petie

Electromax
May 6, 2007
FF8 with 2 endings depending on whether you figure out Squall is dead and fight the secret Hades boss or not.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Electromax posted:

FF8 with 2 endings depending on whether you figure out Squall is dead and fight the secret Hades boss or not.

Emet Selch would improve FF8

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 22, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Keep the MMO poo poo in it's containment game.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Are we talking emet selch pre or post woobification

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

No Mods No Masters posted:

Both please

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Gaius Marius posted:

Final Fantasy 14 is the best MMO and the best Final Fantasy, how does that feel

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Healing magic? I am going to show you what the overflow glitch feels like.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

jokes posted:

Final Fantasy 14 is the best MMO and the best Final Fantasy, how does that feel

I am happy for the people who enjoy it

What is it called when it's happiness but there's some pity in there too

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

tedious

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Inspired by SoP I recently started another Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster runthrough, this time with Warrior, Thief, Red Mage and White Mage. I don't think I've ever used Red Mage seriously in any of my (few) playthroughs, so I'm focusing heavily on buffing and debuffing with the occasional attack spell or cast of Cura if necessary.

I wasn't that keen on the idea of the Pixel Remasters initially, but they're really nice to have! If Sega was smart they'd do the same treatment with Phantasy Star and give the franchise more exposure outside of PSO.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Gaius Marius posted:

Final Fantasy XII?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ImpAtom posted:

Emet Selch would improve FF8

Is there any game he wouldn't improve? :allears:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ff14’s last expansion can be played from beginning to end of the main story with almost 0 required interaction with other players. Bear in mind you’re still gonna pay a subscription though :v: but the game is definitely aware not everyone wants to play MMos

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Ff14’s last expansion can be played from beginning to end of the main story with almost 0 required interaction with other players. Bear in mind you’re still gonna pay a subscription though :v: but the game is definitely aware not everyone wants to play MMos

Not only that, they’ve began retroactively patching in completely solo-able AI partnered options for all the main story dungeons and fights. I think the base game already has it, with the rest of the expansions to follow.

Personally I love the game and my least favorite part is having to interact with other people to progress. To the point that I’d just get my max level friends to run me through them unsynced after a certain point. Too bad I’ve almost completed Stormblood by now lol. But I’m glad they understand that some people just wanna play the game without futzing with queues and randos.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Grimthwacker posted:

Jack Garland has proven that WHM is still as combat-revelant as any other class. Don't need to heal your allies if nothing's alive to hurt them!

This is also White Mage in 14 PvP right now

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

Heath posted:

I am happy for the people who enjoy it

What is it called when it's happiness but there's some pity in there too

denial

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Gaius Marius posted:

Actually the stuff in FFXIV is good and seeing as FFXVI is being made by the same people it's going to own.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'm optimistic about ff16 but I hope the writer of ShB/EW/Fate Extra CCC's Elizabeth Bathory gets to also write a standalone SE game at some point.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Grimthwacker posted:

Inspired by SoP I recently started another Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster runthrough, this time with Warrior, Thief, Red Mage and White Mage. I don't think I've ever used Red Mage seriously in any of my (few) playthroughs, so I'm focusing heavily on buffing and debuffing with the occasional attack spell or cast of Cura if necessary.

I wasn't that keen on the idea of the Pixel Remasters initially, but they're really nice to have! If Sega was smart they'd do the same treatment with Phantasy Star and give the franchise more exposure outside of PSO.

I recently finished a Warrior/Monk/Thief/Red Mage run. It’s nice to just blaze through random encounters with the only limiting factor really being potions (and antidotes drat you swamp cave :argh:)

Now I’m on to III PR and it’s been really enjoyable. Basically like a bunch of FFI’s smashed together. Now I see what is meant about Square maxing out what they could fit into an NES cartridge with III: way more abilities and equipment types, NPCs that follow you, more dialog, multiple worlds… even a world map-scale city with multiple sub regions (which I think is something that isn’t seen again in the series until VIII).

The proliferation of jobs is cool, but without the ability to learn persistent skills like in V it feels like you don’t get rewarded for gaining job levels in classes you don’t want to more fully commit to. Sometimes I start to actually regret gaining EXP LVLs when I’m just trying grind out a few Job LVLs to get a feel for some sidepiece class like Geomancer or whatever. You are also guided down a few specific job level rabbit holes due to the need for particular abilities against bosses, as well as the mini/toad antics. It’s been so long I can’t remember from when I playing the translated FFIII NES version, but was there a penalty for switching jobs in the original? That would definitely suck compared to the PR version if so.

But overall it’s great because I’m a Busy Gamer and often have to interrupt my Gaming Time to do other things. Quicksave anywhere is vital, and the fully turn-based battles mean that I don’t have to be fully in the zone at all times while playing, and I can put it down without pausing and not worry about getting killed by ATB enemy turns. I also started playing VI PR and even though it’s easy the ATB system really kicks things up a notch and keeps it from being as relaxing to play. I know you can just switch ATB off, but it really feels like a core part of the gameplay.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
There wasn’t a penalty in the DS sense but iirc you used reclass points you earned after fights to change jobs, with there being a wholeass system based on whether a job was light/dark affinity and the job levels affecting how many points you used.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
FFXIV is not only cool, but also good.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Remember that the Nvidia leak is just a pile of internal names sent to Nvidia that existed on a table at one point. Just because 'Final Fantasy IX Remake' was on that list, doesn't mean it would be released under that name or that it would be identifiable in that form.

Hell, there's not even a guarantee that it wasn't already released. If we consider the definition that a remake is essentially someone making a new game with the same intended name and framework as an old one, compared to a remaster that's the original code updated for new platforms, then the FFIX we got is by definition a remake, since it was the game rebuilt from the ground up in Unity.

No Mods No Masters posted:

Thanks to time travel, there is no clear moment in his timeline that is the definitive Point Of Woobification.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Fully woobyfied and loving it

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/HelloMrKearns/status/1517801269057884163

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

^^^ lmao

Chillgamesh posted:

This is also White Mage in 14 PvP right now

One of the best giant fuckoff lasers you can shoot in gaming imo.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Cleretic posted:

Remember that the Nvidia leak is just a pile of internal names sent to Nvidia that existed on a table at one point. Just because 'Final Fantasy IX Remake' was on that list, doesn't mean it would be released under that name or that it would be identifiable in that form.

Hell, there's not even a guarantee that it wasn't already released. If we consider the definition that a remake is essentially someone making a new game with the same intended name and framework as an old one, compared to a remaster that's the original code updated for new platforms, then the FFIX we got is by definition a remake, since it was the game rebuilt from the ground up in Unity.

Thanks to time travel, there is no clear moment in his timeline that is the definitive Point Of Woobification.

its real

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

It's real in the same sense that a shopping list I wrote up last week is real; yes, it was all true at one point, but it is also effectively worthless.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Cleretic posted:

It's real in the same sense that a shopping list I wrote up last week is real; yes, it was all true at one point, but it is also effectively worthless.

:psyduck:

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I mean, it's a pretty correct statement. Just because parts of the list have been released or announced doesn't mean the entire list will end up accurate. Things get quietly canceled all the time, and sometimes openly cancelled. I can't recall the entire list, but it's entirely possible some things on it will never see the light of day, or may end up very different from what they were perceived to be.

And that really is a lot of like a grocery list you wrote previously. You might have gotten to the store and an item was out of stock, so you got something different. Or just decided to not to get anything for that item at all. So at one point you planned to get all those items, but it might not have happened.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Butter:Margerine::FF13VS:FF15

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
I choose to believe Square will release some sort of updated FFIX to support the upcoming television show

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

You're the best looking guy here

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

The fact that Kingdom Hearts 4 was on that list despite seeming unbelievable when it first came out does lend a lot of credence to it now. But yeah, who knows what has or hasn't been cancelled since it was written, etc etc. There's Always A Chance

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

This is someone's original FF fan character isn't it

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I mean, it's a pretty correct statement. Just because parts of the list have been released or announced doesn't mean the entire list will end up accurate. Things get quietly canceled all the time, and sometimes openly cancelled. I can't recall the entire list, but it's entirely possible some things on it will never see the light of day, or may end up very different from what they were perceived to be.

And that really is a lot of like a grocery list you wrote previously. You might have gotten to the store and an item was out of stock, so you got something different. Or just decided to not to get anything for that item at all. So at one point you planned to get all those items, but it might not have happened.

:psypop: :psypop: :psypop:

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 23, 2022

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’m doing a thing where I try and complete all mainline FF games and their direct sequels. I just beat the PR version of FF1. I understand that FF2 is not many people’s favorite due to the weird Elder Scrolls-ish skill and leveling system. That said, is there a guide to building strong characters? I’ve only got three of the four party members now and I’m heading, I think, to pick up the fourth. Who should be what, skill-wise?

Also, FF1 still holds up. Pretty drat deep game especially for ‘87.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I don't understand the love for FF1. I just played the Pixel Remaster last week and it is the most insanely scatterbrained, nonsense design I have ever seen, especially when you put it up against contemporaries like Phantasy Star. Dungeons are full of meandering dead ends and hallways and rooms that have nothing in them, or if they do they will have five or six chests with utterly random amounts of gold and gear that's either been outclassed by stuff you found five or six levels ago or even a frankly baffling amount of plain Clothes armor even in the final areas of the game. I swear to God every few treasure rooms it was like I'd open four chests and get 1029 gil, 2047 Gil, 1120 Gil, Clothes, Monster, Monster, Monster, Monster, 1865 Gil, Potion, and then 6 of the other 9 rooms on the same floor would just be empty.

Fantastic soundtrack, though. That's the only good thing I have to say about it. And it's kind of a shame because I remember really enjoying the PS1 remake but I 100%ed this version and I was like I do not understand how this series even got a second glance after Dragon Quest and Phantasy Star were doing it right.

FF3 however kicks insane rear end and I still love it. I even loved the original Famicom one a ton.