Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

susan b buffering posted:

I don't think the factory simulation is multi-threaded, but I also don't think it needs to be. Even a large factory with a lot going on isn't really that computationally intense to simulate. It's the rendering that's the tough part.

You're assuming it's well-architechted, which is a bold assumption. Also remember it's not built from the ground up and a lot of things are built on top of Unreal constructs so they're not going to be ideal.

The rendering is rough too though, based on previous videos they've done (color stuff mostly) it sounds like overall the team is generally very inexperienced at optimization, some minor instancing took them like 2 years to add.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Taffer posted:

You're assuming it's well-architechted, which is a bold assumption. Also remember it's not built from the ground up and a lot of things are built on top of Unreal constructs so they're not going to be ideal.

The rendering is rough too though, based on previous videos they've done (color stuff mostly) it sounds like overall the team is generally very inexperienced at optimization, some minor instancing took them like 2 years to add.

They should poach talent from the wizards that made Dyson Sphere Project, they came up with some special way of programming everything so that multiple planet systems all producing hundreds of items at a time runs without a hitch. In my experience the end game slowdown isn't GPU related most of the time, it's some combination of CPU and memory. At one point I checked the task manager to see what resources were being used and it was eating up 13GB of RAM on its own.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

From what I understand of DSP (don't quote me on this), once you leave a planet it locks in production rates (in/out, factoring in available resource patches), and just spits out a set amount per tick or per minute planet-wide, without actually simulating all the machines and belts and drones. Theoretically you could do something like that in Satisfactory but that would be an incredibly complex refactor for systems that weren't initially built with that framework in mind.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Turns out you’re sending all the parts up the elevator in order to built the telematter array needed to teleport in the DSP mech. DSP starts at the end of Satisfactory, not Factorio!

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Taffer posted:

I'm not assuming that, but It being poorly designed makes it even less suitable for parallelization. Better to expend the effort on optimizing single thread performance unless there is a very easy and obvious way to adapt it to multi-threading without side effects (lol).

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

LonsomeSon posted:

Turns out you’re sending all the parts up the elevator in order to built the telematter array needed to teleport in the DSP mech. DSP starts at the end of Satisfactory, not Factorio!

drat, now I really wish there was cohesive lore between all these games.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Gadzuko posted:

They said they were working on some small things like foliage rendering, I don't think that would make much of a difference in your case but you never know

A little annoying but maybe sometime in the far flung future or something, or i'll just like, idk, use the save editor to keep my more annoying/larger stuff around and try and do a general purge.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dunno-Lars posted:

Put a train where they crash and manually drive another, and you'll find out pretty fast. My guess is a corner being just a tiny bit too close.

But I thought that the new signals would show those cases as part of the same block even when across different rails.

Yes, they will. If build on foundation at the exact same grade. A height difference becomes unreliable.

Taffer posted:

Yeah these guys are not the people who are diving into the Unreal engine adding new features on their own. The old color gun with 16 slots was based on standard Unreal instancing, the new color gun with arbitrary colors is directly from new engine features that Epic made.

OTOH I think you may be overstating how easy it is to make systems that are performant. And taking NoEyedSquareGuy as a representative sample for "needs optimization" is, um, a bit crazy. Because the poo poo that he makes is pretty goddamn massive. Like, look at this post. I just tallied up the number of active buildings in that (ie production machines, belts, pipes, & junctions; not foundations, walls, or power) and I got 34400 and a bit.

Here is the standard map for Factorio benchmarks. Restricted to the same count of "things that produce & move items" it has like 165k, excluding belt. Belt I'm not sure how to count -- it has 368k 1-square belts, which are combined into segments analogous to a Satisfactory belt behind the scenes. 10% is probably generous. So that's a bit over 200k.

So a single build on a NESG map is like 15-20% of the working objects as an entire Factorio mega-map made to test performance extremes. Factorio deff runs faster than Satisfactory. Partly because they're running their own pure code instead of inside Unreal, but also because the rendering part of the game is trivial. But also, you have to be careful what and who you're looking at to make comparisons between the two.

The message isn't that Satisfactory is horribly unoptimized, the message is that NoEyedSquareGuy is out of control and needs to be stopped.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Ugh, today's update has properly borked my save. The new deadlock system means I'm going to have to spend several hours un-loving my tractor and truck routes because they keep going nose-to-nose at chokepoints and don't have the sense to back up a little so one or the other can go through.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Wyld Karde posted:

Ugh, today's update has properly borked my save. The new deadlock system means I'm going to have to spend several hours un-loving my tractor and truck routes because they keep going nose-to-nose at chokepoints and don't have the sense to back up a little so one or the other can go through.

Ooof, but if you can *survive* without fixing it (ie your power doesn't depend on those trucks) I might just let it ride.

I'd say that's a bug, when judged against their design intentions: that tractors & trucks should always be able to complete routes even if they have to go into noclip mode to do it. If the vehicles don't realize that they're stuck because it's another vehicle they're colliding with, it's probably just a thing they didn't think about / see in testing.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Klyith posted:

The message isn't that Satisfactory is horribly unoptimized, the message is that NoEyedSquareGuy is out of control and needs to be stopped.

When update 6 drops I'm going to try and make a world-maxed nuclear build with 252 reactors using nothing but trucks to transport items throughout the world. Only the limitations of Unreal Engine can prevent this.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Well this sucks. Just bought the game yesterday and everything was working fine. Small update today and now the game keeps crashing with Unreal Engine errors every 15 minutes or so. Bummer.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Oldstench posted:

Well this sucks. Just bought the game yesterday and everything was working fine. Small update today and now the game keeps crashing with Unreal Engine errors every 15 minutes or so. Bummer.

Since you just got it, I'd assume you aren't doing anything with mods yet?

Try a verify files. For whatever reason this game has an unusual habit of installs being left with corrupt files after patches.

If that doesn't help, you can try forcing a different graphics API with launch options:
-DX11
-DX12
-vulkan
(If you have a low-spec GPU it may be better off with 11)

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

No mods, already verified, using DX11 already. Eh. NBD - maybe I'll just wait until the 6 update comes out.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Kinda lost interest after I built a mega factory up north and then days later they state "delete everything in the area, because we are revamping the whole place".
Meh, I have another month or 2 to go in and flatten/rebuild elsewhere.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

OgNar posted:

Kinda lost interest after I built a mega factory up north and then days later they state "delete everything in the area, because we are revamping the whole place".
Meh, I have another month or 2 to go in and flatten/rebuild elsewhere.

You can copy + paste your factories in the online map viewer to relocate everything if you're worried about them disappearing into the new terrain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VBO4Fc-AoQ

You'll still have to deal with all the input lines going into the factory but it's a lot easier than having to completely rebuild. Also good for quickly tearing down a large factory instead of manually deleting everything. I've got this 10GW fuel plant sitting right in the middle of the Spire Coast and I'm just going to copy the whole thing over to the Gold Coast when the time comes. Only input line to worry about is a single oil pipe.

Coffee Sludge
Dec 14, 2003

Dag nabbit
Grimey Drawer
Spire Coast looking nice. Shame about all the factories that were built there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeABKTT4t4w

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Coffee Sludge posted:

Spire Coast looking nice. Shame about all the factories that were built there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeABKTT4t4w

Might be the best looking biome now even though those waterfalls don't make any sense. Glad they're keeping up with the teaser videos on the way to update 6.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I actually don't really like what they've done to it???

I mean it looks nice sure, but it also is largely indistinguishable from the rest of the biome now. I had hoped it would be something more unique.

Looks like a huge amount of buildable land reduction too. Ah well.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
It was always going to be a reduction in buildable space because the old spire coast was mostly a big flat plane.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
What a beautiful location. I can't wait to turn it into a massive turbofuel facility.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Wyld Karde posted:

What a beautiful location. I can't wait for it to spawn inside my massive turbofuel facility.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVeZMwdA5bE

More insane than anything Lets Game It Out has done. Good lord.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Oldstench posted:

Well, switching the renderer to DX12 seems to have resolved the issue. Odd seeing as that was hitching horribly before the patch which is why I switched to DX11 to start with.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Might be the best looking biome now even though those waterfalls don't make any sense. Glad they're keeping up with the teaser videos on the way to update 6.

If you look at places where the arches scattered across the map have broken due to weathering and erosion you'll see an incredibly artificial looking hex weave of supports in them. If you go by the idea that the planet/build area was previously inhabited by a now long gone/dead aliens I could totally see them having some water features like the waterfalls.

Alternatively, those arches are entirely natural and the hex grid is one of those times that nature gets engineering incredibly right, and those arches (when alive) often have water being pulled through them.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I learned about sushi belts. Why didn't I think of this earlier, especially because I ran a compressed belt in my first save to begin with, to get poo poo across the map.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

I learned about sushi belts. Why didn't I think of this earlier, especially because I ran a compressed belt in my first save to begin with, to get poo poo across the map.

How can you do sushi belts in Satisfactory? Do you just have 3 inputs at the same rate going into a merger on one end and the splitting them back out on the other?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
If your belts are faster than the sum of the item consumption rates of your machines, you can just cram everything onto a single belt and use smart splitters to feed the hoppers, with an overflow at the end (either sink or ferry to another place). Rate control can/could be done with various belt speeds at the input.

Also, the Modular Load Balancer mod is :hmmyes: for this kind of poo poo.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
IMO for something to be a sushi belt it should loop back into itself. Putting more than one item type on a belt is just a mixed belt.

I have a for real sushi belt in my old starting home base. The belt winds through the production floors collecting outputs from machines, grabs steel from a truck stop, goes behind the storage area to restock storage, and then hits a programmable splitter. The splitter sends junk resources & overflow to a sink, and recycles items that are used as inputs back through the system.

This is not a very efficient system! It works fine in this build, because my home base produces a little of everything in low volume amounts. So the belt doesn't jam up -- in any other production environment sushi is a huge jam risk. If you feel like an interesting challenge though, it's very satisfying to build. I made a spot in the base where the belts & lifts are behind a window and you can watch all the stuff going past.

(Though this post should all be in past tense: I took down the small steel factory that was supplying pipe & beams, so it's kinda defunct. And I'm building a huge Frame Factory right next door. Not sure what to do in the old home base, it needs a re-org to produce stuff again. I don't want to take it down though.)

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

You can copy + paste your factories in the online map viewer to relocate everything if you're worried about them disappearing into the new terrain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VBO4Fc-AoQ

You'll still have to deal with all the input lines going into the factory but it's a lot easier than having to completely rebuild. Also good for quickly tearing down a large factory instead of manually deleting everything. I've got this 10GW fuel plant sitting right in the middle of the Spire Coast and I'm just going to copy the whole thing over to the Gold Coast when the time comes. Only input line to worry about is a single oil pipe.

Going through this video now, and it has good instructions.
Thanks for this.

Seems i'm most likely going to have multiple moves though.
Since my computer/supercomputer factory is actually hanging off the side of the cliff and there is a lot of stuff below like tubing and conveyors to get the plastic up.
Guessing i will have to move it, delete everything below and then shift it down to sea level since I will be shipping ore in to where it will be.
Debating on whether to move the coal power on the left or not since its not actually in the affected area, but may be on the line.
I guess I could shift that coal power a little north just to be safe.

e:You know, I could really use conveyors that attach to a ceiling.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 5, 2022

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

When I need ceiling conveyors I just put down some temporary platforms below, run my conveyors, and delete the platforms and poles. Sure it isn't technically hanging, but it's good enough.

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

Conveyor wall on the underside of a slab works

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
A more detailed look at the spire coast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BxYvOLpjGo

I was thinking that my north sea oil factory, which I thought was far enough out into the ocean to maybe not have problems, is gonna be on top of some new coral reef / mini islands stuff. Um. Not sure what I'm gonna do with that.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Fortunately after looking at the map, I don't think anything I have built is even remotely close to the spire coast. Regardless I think it would be best that I put this game on hold until the 1.0 release in case I have to start again for any reason, I'm not a big fan of starting things from scratch.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

While I still have things like rubber production in that area, I should be good to go if anything gets lost.
I copied my one super comp factory out but left the old one there just in case it works.

Everything I am doing now is simply going around to every node I dont have a train station at and setting one up and possibly refineries if there is water nearby to produce even more.
All to one day attempt the final phase of the space elevator.
I do have nuclear and particle to unlock but am not in any rush or need as yet.
Plus I need some more factories built to do that.

Seems you just need a lot of loving ore for that last bit of production.

I have had to re-do quite a bit of my rail system because I was sloppy to begin with and that just causes a mess the more and more trains you add in.
I see now why everyone just makes a raised level and just dyson spheres the whole map.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

This thread seems like a good place to post this trailer for what looks like Satisfactory, but only in caves (with destructible terrain):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FK15vuZ9yc

Tamba fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 9, 2022

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Tamba posted:

This thread seems like a good place to post this trailer for what looks like Satisfactory, but only in caves (with destructible terrain):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FK15vuZ9yc

Be wary of glyphids.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I like the conceit of when things are zapped into place they have that orange-hot look to them, makes sense techtonica uses that too. Did Satisfactory start that or were there other ones that did it first (space engineers? I have not played that).

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
lmao the devs of Techtonica previously made Catlateral Damage, a meme game where you randomly mess up the world as a cat

guess there's something about making a nonsense simulator that means the next thing you want to do is a serious business work simulator

priznat posted:

I like the conceit of when things are zapped into place they have that orange-hot look to them, makes sense techtonica uses that too. Did Satisfactory start that or were there other ones that did it first (space engineers? I have not played that).

No for space engineers, there you put down a frame-looking skeleton and then use a weld-gun to "build" it.

(In space engineers there's no tech system, so the thing you're doing to expand your capability isn't research to unlock new blocks / tech. It's building stuff that can build stuff. At first you're using a hand-welder, then you want to make a builder-ship with auto-welders, then you might move on to a blueprint builder. But it's not gated by anything but the material resources and your design ability.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I would pay money for them to add a setting on deconstruction to either ignore foundations/ignore non-foundations/select everything when using ctrl to stack up things to destroy.