Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Mola Yam posted:

australia and canada have been at the bottom of these kinds of lists for a decade, i would cut off my nuts for a <5x median multiple, so i guess what i'm saying is stop complaining? but also it sucks everywhere.
it’s me, the dumbass goon currently under contract to buy in #82

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

i am harry posted:

im afraid of this is happening for everyone.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

big uncle from Nintendo vibes

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I will stop trying to time the market and instead gobble up whatever I am able.

just need to buy asap so that I can stay in the community I love.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

a primate posted:

it's true

https://twitter.com/NeilNasty7/status/1517726183865163776?s=19

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

oh poo poo

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

a primate posted:

a primate posted:

oh poo poo

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

a primate posted:

oh poo poo

Yeah lol I'm in the industry and when I saw that I knew it was probably true.

*chuckles* I'm in danger

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

Mola Yam posted:

australia and canada have been at the bottom of these kinds of lists for a decade, i would cut off my nuts for a <5x median multiple, so i guess what i'm saying is stop complaining? but also it sucks everywhere.

Do you have the source for this? It's interesting

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what's that mean? that less mortgages are going to be processed because the market's about to crash and everyone's houses are about to lose a bunch of value, and then subsequently get bought by extremely rich people who then jack the prices up to higher than they were before(now)?

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Lacrosse posted:

Yeah lol I'm in the industry and when I saw that I knew it was probably true.

*chuckles* I'm in danger

are we in for 2008 v2 or something different?

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

empty whippet box posted:

what's that mean? that less mortgages are going to be processed because the market's about to crash and everyone's houses are about to lose a bunch of value, and then subsequently get bought by extremely rich people who then jack the prices up to higher than they were before(now)?

no, but nobody is gonna re-finance their mortgage to a lower rate since lower rates arent available. also less loans will be issued going forward bc they're less good of a deal

i dont think it portends anything significant beyond 'more rate increases = less demand for loans'

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

a primate posted:

are we in for 2008 v2 or something different?

I'm just a computer toucher so I don't have much insider information other than banks are seeing 'headwinds' over the next 6 months. That's all I know

Edit: as in I touch (repair) the computers of the people who do work in the industry. I haven't had the chance to gossip with anyone lately because most of the people in my office are still remote

Lacrosse has issued a correction as of 18:28 on Apr 23, 2022

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

my interpretation is that with how much institutional money has flooded into the market in earnest (i.e., REIT's are now playing the game instead of the mere financialization of individual ownership via MBS's) that poor people who have to borrow money to own a house will have a harder time doing so. That means they'll have an even harder time borrowing the excessive amount necessary to compete with above-asking cash offers from institutional investors. The market will cool a little bit but it won't crash because (1) those who already own are locked in at low rates and (2) institutions are already just renting out what they bought anyways and borrowed at even lower rates than individual homeowners ever had access to to begin with.

Basically those who had a balance sheet to begin with won out. Those of us trying to build a balance sheet are now further priced out.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

:yeshaha:

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

I did take some notes from the last employee meeting:

- 'significant headwinds', seeing a slowdown of mortgage originations already
- the aggressive jacking up of mortgage rates is loving up the banks' tap of endless free money
- Refinance and HELOC loans are down
- housing builds are getting stalled out due to a lack of labor as well as supplies, specifically garage doors which have 6+ month lead times
- commercial real estate had a slow start to the year but they expect it to get better with companies forcing return to office plans

Advice is "don't panic" :derp:

Lacrosse has issued a correction as of 18:37 on Apr 23, 2022

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
looking for a new apartment and i cant afford any of these places lol

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

vyelkin posted:

looking for a new apartment and i cant afford any of these places lol

same

I gotta move in two weeks. lol. :rip:

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Did you guys try voting yourself into a cheaper apartment?

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

If I cut the tree down in my backyard I could probably put in an ADU that barely meets living standards, and charge $1500 a month.

I too wish to be a piece of poo poo landlord

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Nice and hot piss posted:

If I cut the tree down in my backyard I could probably put in an ADU that barely meets living standards, and charge $1500 a month.

I too wish to be a piece of poo poo landlord

it's the new way society works. full commodification of every last fragment of our lives.

you can burn that tree to generate power to mine for bitcoin.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

If houses go way down in value due to less demand because mortgage rates go up, there'll still be affordability problems b/c now you're looking at 7, 8, 9% interest rates to buy even less house (in terms of sq ft) than you could when rates were at ~2.5% at the bottom.

Like, clearly there was an appetite (either from yuppie pmc types or blackrocks) for mortgages even at these crazy price points, you can probably predict the "bottom" for housing prices by just take the average monthly all-in price at the peak (like 1600/mo at 2.5-3%) and plug in 7% or whatever to find what the new median is.

Am I off-base here? This seems to make sense in my mind anyway, I wouldn't expect you to magically be able to lock in a 30-year at like 4 or 500/mo if the market crashes and even if you could at that price it means blackrock gets 4 houses for the price of one now.

Justin Tyme has issued a correction as of 19:50 on Apr 23, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Additional dwelling unit, you say?

How about a remodeled garage?

https://www.wkrn.com/special-report...t-1000-a-month/

Rents in Nashville are loving rough right now. Tennessee is a $7.25/hr minimum wage state too.

quote:

According to Rent.com, the average rent for apartments in Nashville, TN, is between $1,585 and $2,658 in 2022. For a studio apartment in Nashville, the average rent is $1,860. For a one-bedroom, the average rent is $1,991, and for a 2-bedroom is $2,658.

According to the data, prices are up 50% compared to last year for a two-bedroom in Nashville.

And a picture:

It's off market now.

CRUSTY MINGE has issued a correction as of 19:52 on Apr 23, 2022

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

if interest rates get to a point where mortgages are 7% and higher, it’s not just about housing and wide swathes of the economy that rely on the money printer are going to implode

the current bump in mortgage rates is just from the Fed prepping markets for a 0.5% interest rate hike in July

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Lacrosse posted:

- commercial real estate had a slow start to the year but they expect it to get better with companies forcing return to office plans

What's the plan for when employees tell them to gently caress off and quit instead? Or are they still stubbornly assuming that labor is an infinite pool to draw from?

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Justin Tyme posted:

If houses go way down in value due to less demand because mortgage rates go up, there'll still be affordability problems b/c now you're looking at 7, 8, 9% interest rates to buy even less house (in terms of sq ft) than you could when rates were at ~2.5% at the bottom.

Like, clearly there was an appetite (either from yuppie pmc types or blackrocks) for mortgages even at these crazy price points, you can probably predict the "bottom" for housing prices by just take the average monthly all-in price at the peak (like 1600/mo at 2.5-3%) and plug in 7% or whatever to find what the new median is.

Am I off-base here? This seems to make sense in my mind anyway, I wouldn't expect you to magically be able to lock in a 30-year at like 4 or 500/mo if the market crashes and even if you could at that price it means blackrock gets 4 houses for the price of one now.

this makes sense to me, too. similar to car buying, most people probably look at it as "we can afford $X per month". when rates are consistent, you can accurately estimate a purchase price of $Y will result in $X per month. with rates increasing at an unknown rate, unless you're ready to buy today, you might want to back off for a bit because you suddenly can't gauge what your payments will be based on the purchase price alone

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

HOMES HOMES HOMES

fibblins
Dec 21, 2007

party swan

19 o'clock posted:

it's the new way society works. full commodification of every last fragment of our lives.

you can burn that tree to generate power to mine for bitcoin.

foreverially commodified and loving it

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Did you guys try voting yourself into a cheaper apartment?

actually yeah i voted for rent control right after i moved into a super cheap shithole apartment. it passed lol

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

shrike82 posted:

if interest rates get to a point where mortgages are 7% and higher, it’s not just about housing and wide swathes of the economy that rely on the money printer are going to implode

the current bump in mortgage rates is just from the Fed prepping markets for a 0.5% interest rate hike in July

Weren't 30-year fixed rates like 15%+ in the 80s/90s?

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Additional dwelling unit, you say?

How about a remodeled garage?

https://www.wkrn.com/special-report...t-1000-a-month/

Rents in Nashville are loving rough right now. Tennessee is a $7.25/hr minimum wage state too.

And a picture:

It's off market now.
Pret

I'm certain I could build that with a bunch of plywood and make it livable.

Rent 1800 a month, you pay all utilities except trash (I'm not a monster) must make 3x monthly rent, 800+ credit score, will need a LOR from congressman, also first, last months rent due and 3600 security deposit

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Most estimates I've seen say 6% will be the top.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Hootington posted:

Most estimates I've seen say 6% will be the top.

idk about that

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

i want shelter

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

ok but do you have a four-figure security deposit, a credit score above 800, and references from your last three landlords?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Justin Tyme posted:

Weren't 30-year fixed rates like 15%+ in the 80s/90s?
yes, my parents' mortgage starting in '83 was like 18%

my dad has refinanced that house a dozen times since then, and the current monthly payment is less in absolute dollars (i.e. unadjusted for inflation) than it was in '83

~just boomer things~

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
yes and new homes built when the interest rate was 15-20% were 80k while median household income was around 24k.

again, median household income right now is around 32k while houses cost 4-10 times what they used to. it is an insane situation, there's no other way to describe it.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

median US household is 67 K.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Bar Ran Dun posted:

median US household is 67 K.

oops.my bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

he is risen