Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

luchadornado posted:

I'm going to try getting into tome4 again for what's probably the 10th time. It's just so daunting starting out.

Any recommendations for a fun first time run?

My love for you is like a truck, Berserker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

luchadornado posted:

I'm going to try getting into tome4 again for what's probably the 10th time. It's just so daunting starting out.

Any recommendations for a fun first time run?

Follow the area sequence guide on the tome4 wiki.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

play embers of rage first

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

cock hero flux posted:

This'll just give them the idea that the game could have been paced well.

I love tome4, but the runs are long as hell.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Have we talked about Shotgun King?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_O1_a6CLog

It's a killer little game that had me up until 4am last night, and I actually somehow beat it - I love roguelikes but my ADHD means that more often than not I tend to lose them by misclick or not noticing something fatal.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

cock hero flux posted:

Disagree, the original campaign teaches the mechanics a bit better and has unlocks for other classes/races which can feed the DLC campaigns. However, as with most roguelikes there are many questionable design decisions that can be ameliorated with mods. Get the zomnibus addon package and the unlock all class/race mods.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

none of the devs actually play embers of rage at all so it working is basically a miracle. last time there was a major patch it was just completely hosed and took a while to be made playable again. luckily this problem wont happen again, as tome is never going to be patched

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

Serephina posted:

Cogmind stuff:
Same run, mk2: No bot handing out rifle upgrade part, but the rifle spawns. gently caress you too mister RNG. Made sure to have visited Zirov and gotten that other dude's data pack, and apparently I forgot that isn't what decodes those consoles. Goddamn it's been ages and I hate DC runs. I'm staring at the mystery part and loathing having to do another run just to detour here, can anyone give minor spoilers on wtf I'm supposed to do with this part? Does it just change the ending cinematic being a Leopard part, do I need to visit S7 for the Leopard mockup (mutually exclusive with lab this run...) Or do I actually need to haul it to the super-duper secret boss which I'm still working on? Cuz fudge that.

you do indeed need to visit the s7 hangar to find a use for the mystery item. and you probably noticed that its integrity constantly drains whenever its not equipped, so you have to wear it all the way there.

also I'm pretty sure the hyp EM gauss can spawn in testing as well, so you have another chance if you strike out in lab.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, I scrapped that run in a fit of salt and did a RPG-like run which had the DC, with the intent of breaking the game over my knee if it's gonna force me to fight interceptors. Got back up there, read what the part is for, and am deciding where to take this run now. On one hand, the broken strat involving interceptors has been subtly nerfed so that it can't self-sustain in terms of matter, bugger, but otoh it's a RPGlike run and I don't feel like upsetting my build to try and fit in some energy cannon. On the other-other hand I'd like to go visit the secret boss and give him a piece of my mind for making me do a DC run, but I'm on treads and I know how that'll end if I'm using normal items.

(Oh, and that run had the upgrade part but no rifle again, well played mister RNG.)

So, pot-can into L-toy and rip out all my kinetic support stuff (and waste many weapon slots), keep using the semi-assmebled broken build and try to scrounge more matter somehow, or revert back to normal kinetics and try to... I dno, fab a bunch of hover units in -1 command or something to pivot out of treads at the last second? None are good options, suggestions welcome.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
6 years after release, I'm getting around to playing Nuclear Throne because it somehow found its way into my Epic library. I passed on this whole genre/period of roguelites because i didn't care for Binding of Isaac (the guns just suuuucked, at least at the beginning) and figured they were all riffs on the same tune.

I dig the fast pace and short run times of Nuclear Throne. Character unlocks seem to come reasonably quickly and they're varied enough that they warrant different play styles. The weapons are fun and are also different enough to matter. I think I remember people being a little down on it (maybe it gets samey?) but I'm enjoying it a couple hours in.

Is there anything else from the action-roguelike genre (particularly from a few years ago) that I should spend some time with? I've been really resistant to side-scrollers because I feel like I got my fill of them in the cartridge-console days, but I'm realizing I may be missing a chunk of great games. The run-based nature of this genre is pretty perfect for me at this time in my life due to being able to the gameplay quickly to make the most of my more limited free-time.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Wizard of Legend is one that I really liked. Relatively short runs, fun gameplay, and metaprogression is fast and only for unlocking alternate starting gear.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I'm a big fan of Skul: the Hero Slayer. It's pretty tough and it is a sidescroller, but the rooms are pretty short and there's a lot of variety just in the basic moveset you can use, to say nothing of the items you can pick up to customize your build.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

BrianRx posted:

6 years after release, I'm getting around to playing Nuclear Throne because it somehow found its way into my Epic library. I passed on this whole genre/period of roguelites because i didn't care for Binding of Isaac (the guns just suuuucked, at least at the beginning) and figured they were all riffs on the same tune.

I dig the fast pace and short run times of Nuclear Throne. Character unlocks seem to come reasonably quickly and they're varied enough that they warrant different play styles. The weapons are fun and are also different enough to matter. I think I remember people being a little down on it (maybe it gets samey?) but I'm enjoying it a couple hours in.

Is there anything else from the action-roguelike genre (particularly from a few years ago) that I should spend some time with? I've been really resistant to side-scrollers because I feel like I got my fill of them in the cartridge-console days, but I'm realizing I may be missing a chunk of great games. The run-based nature of this genre is pretty perfect for me at this time in my life due to being able to the gameplay quickly to make the most of my more limited free-time.

Synthetik is so good it will ruin the rest of the genre for you.

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256814430/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1608140000

Go with Synthetik 1 though, 2 is still in development and not quite there yet. 1 is a flawless masterpiece.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

BrianRx posted:

I've yet to play another one as short and bite-sized as nuclear throne, but synthetik is the closest game I've played to it in quality if you can get past how confusing it can be

tbh the great majority of roguelites I've played just should not be roguelites at all because they have good core gameplay but the format does them more harm than good. many would be better served with a 12 hour campaign of hand-designed content instead of hypothetically hundreds amounts of procedurally generated content (except they're made of prefab rooms that repeat after 2 hours so they rapidly get stale). Nuclear throne and synthetik are some of the few exceptions which feel like they wouldn't work in any other framework

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

deep dish peat moss posted:

Synthetik is so good it will ruin the rest of the genre for you.

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256814430/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1608140000

Go with Synthetik 1 though, 2 is still in development and not quite there yet. 1 is a flawless masterpiece.

Synthetik is loving amazing. No other game has guns as satisfying as it does.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Hades and Dead Cells are the two most popular roguelites, and with good reason.

Blankspace
Dec 13, 2006
Has anyone played Dawn of the Mexica? It looks like it's on sale, and it's got a really unique theme:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1456630/Dawn_of_the_Mexica/

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
yes

it has some interesting stuff but broadly speaking it's a very standard RL with a small number of weirdly simulationist elements(drink contaminated water and poo poo yourself to death!), a large list of random crit effects that can just ruin your run if they happen at the wrong time, and kind of runs out of steam in the endgame

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i liked enter the gungeon, although

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

prefab rooms that repeat after 2 hours so they rapidly get stale

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Getting a bit tired of the trolling elements in Binding of Isaac. There's even 2 items in the drop tables called "troll bomb" that exist to replace rewards with bombs that try to kill you. It just pisses me off with basically no upside.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

BrianRx posted:

one step from eden, it's like mega man battle network crossed with slay the spire, like ten different characters and one thousand different spells and passives which dramatically alter your build. a successful run takes like 40 mins? but it's a really difficult game and it takes a long time to get good at it, if that's an obstacle.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Beat Cogmind's final boss level, and abused RPGLike mode and the easy difficulty's save slot scumming to do so. No regrets, as I'd gotten to him once legit and I'm aghast at how many attempts it took to finally see all his gimmicks in play - doing so via trial and error after a 8hr run each time is bananas, gently caress that boss was an rear end in a top hat. Got like six 0.2% cheevos off of it, from all the win variations I trialed. I suppose it's a good boss level in hindsight, as you have to apply like all the principles that game's trying to hammer into you... but I'm still staggered at how hard it was, I cannot imagine doing it 'legit'.

The real f-u moment was finding a cache of lore/log entries... with stuff [redacted].

It's a good game, looking forward to doing actual normal runs.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Synthetik is far too difficult for me but it’s still a great game

And no other game has the 420 Sniperdragon

megane
Jun 20, 2008

BrianRx posted:

Nuke Throne rules; Synthetik’s great, but nothing nails the frenetic pacing and style of NT.

Monolith’s another good one to try.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

BrianRx posted:

NT is one of the greatest ever made IMO. Other recommendations so far are great -- Synthetik is a personal favorite too, you should know going in that it's a little more fiddly/stat-heavy than Nuclear Throne, but combat is similarly fast and lethal (for both you and your enemies) and there's a ton of depth to it. Monolith is a good one too, the structure is a little closer to Binding of Isaac than NT, with a dungeon map and an exploration element, but it's got very little downtime and is quite combat heavy. I also plugged it a page or so back but Revita just left early access and is a personal favorite, it's got a similar arena-shooter structure to those other games but it's a sidescroller instead of top-down. Tons of content there and interesting item designs that lead to lots of run variety.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Just careful with Revita on Switch ATM. The updates are out for review apparently but the 1.0 launch edition has been pretty crashy for me.

I'd already EA'ed it on Steam though and it has been great there still. Just let the Switch version bake for another few weeks first and I'm sure it will get there.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

megane posted:

Nuke Throne rules; Synthetik’s great, but nothing nails the frenetic pacing and style of NT.

Monolith’s another good one to try.

I'll second Monolith, that game is criminally under-rated IMO

this is a semi-hidden and extremely difficult boss - probably 90% of the game is far less frantic - but it demos the gameplay & sweet music nicely

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hjmTxpsMvg

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 25, 2022

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i had nuclear throne sitting in my library for a while and finally got a first-loop win the other day. it's good but i wish explosions did like a normal attack's worth of damage instead of typically being an insta-kill if you don't have Boiling Veins

also that's, like, one relatively minor gripe about a game that otherwise does a flawless job of rewarding aggression but not blindly rushing ahead

e: also it took way too long for it to get a 60 FPS mode. but it has one now! (once you opt into the beta)

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Oh yeah speaking of bad switch ports don't even think about Nuclear Throne on there. It's ok until you get to the final boss and then he has a certain attack that has a decent chance of hardlocking the game and causing you to lose your run. Don't think it's been fixed at any point

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Foul Fowl posted:

one step from eden, it's like mega man battle network crossed with slay the spire, like ten different characters and one thousand different spells and passives which dramatically alter your build. a successful run takes like 40 mins? but it's a really difficult game and it takes a long time to get good at it, if that's an obstacle.

This one really is deceptively good. You might be initially tempted to bounce off of it... until the spell synergies start to click and you find yourself changing your preferred spell types on the fly based on which combos you're hoping to get. Once that happens, it's got its hooks in you, and you'll be running insane bullshit poison spam builds and plotting to murder the merchant in no time.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

goferchan posted:

Oh yeah speaking of bad switch ports don't even think about Nuclear Throne on there. It's ok until you get to the final boss and then he has a certain attack that has a decent chance of hardlocking the game and causing you to lose your run. Don't think it's been fixed at any point

Wild, I've put at least 60 hours into the switch version, looping dozens of times, and have never encountered this, which attack is it?

As far as explosions go, in my experience the most dangerous explosions are your own, and at that point you either make boiling veins a priority or you don't. The boss explosions just aren't gonna kill you once you know, while the little guys are always a threat if you aren't paying attention, and not so much if you are. Don't get me wrong, Boiling Veins is definitely a top tier perk imo, but its absolutely not required.

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart

goferchan posted:

Buying rls on switch has been a real mixed bag, the ones that run how they're supposed to are in the minority and Ive bought a handful with recurring run eating issues. Most recently I got Roguebook and during late game fights it takes multiple seconds to play cards. My first win took 2 in game hours, really made me appreciate StS more.

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?
I’ve had Revita crash once on Switch in about 20 hours. The bigger issue for me is that elevator rides are, at random, either instant or 15 seconds long, but I still cant put it down.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Truspeaker posted:

Wild, I've put at least 60 hours into the switch version, looping dozens of times, and have never encountered this, which attack is it?

Sorry I should have said "softlock", it doesn't literally freeze the game but can screw you over. It's the Throne 2 attack where it shoots out the green orbs, sometimes it will just stop attacking at all afterwards which either means an easy win if you have melee or it means you can't generate ammo anymore and you're screwed. I've seen it happen a couple times , I'm not sure if it was patched since then

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Truspeaker posted:

As far as explosions go, in my experience the most dangerous explosions are your own, and at that point you either make boiling veins a priority or you don't. The boss explosions just aren't gonna kill you once you know, while the little guys are always a threat if you aren't paying attention, and not so much if you are. Don't get me wrong, Boiling Veins is definitely a top tier perk imo, but its absolutely not required.

I basically never take Boiling Veins. After a while I'd just burned in the reflex to vaporize anything capable of producing explosions before it can do so, which is how you deal with most threats in NT. The correct amount of force to apply to a yeti standing anywhere near a car is "all of it."

Exploding weapons are kinda unfortunate; you'd expect them to be extra effective in exchange for being dangerous to use... but it's the opposite. Their damage starts off pretty good, but the other weapon types quickly outstrip them, and most would be hard to hit key targets with even if you didn't have to worry about shooting yourself.

e: I think the number one key to success in NT is target selection. Most enemies aren't meaningful threats, but some of them are extremely dangerous to leave alive for even a moment, and you have to identify those and kill them as quickly as possible, preferably before they are even on-screen.

megane fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 26, 2022

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
There are also many excellent Nuclear Throne mods!

Nuclear Throne Ultra is in very active development again, and adds so so much:
https://erdeppol.itch.io/nuclear-throne-ultra-mod

NT:TE (Territorial Expansion) adds almost as much, but supports multiplayer through Nuclear Throne Together as well.
https://yokin.itch.io/ntte

There are also tons of other mods for NT:Together here, with lots of crazy ideas, like making the game an FPS:
https://itch.io/game-mods/tag-ntt

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The War Of The Pegs will soon be upon us in earnest:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1296610/Peglin/ One Begins...

https://store.steampowered.com/app/848030/Roundguard/ Another Revives...

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Pararoid posted:

There are also many excellent Nuclear Throne mods!

NT:TE (Territorial Expansion) adds almost as much, but supports multiplayer through Nuclear Throne Together as well.
https://yokin.itch.io/ntte

This is the only mod I've tried but I was very impressed with it. It has some creative additions that still mesh really well with the base game; it feels a lot what I'd imagine an official Nuclear Throne expansion would look like. Easy to install and works with the freebie EGS version too.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Angry Diplomat posted:

This one really is deceptively good. You might be initially tempted to bounce off of it... until the spell synergies start to click and you find yourself changing your preferred spell types on the fly based on which combos you're hoping to get. Once that happens, it's got its hooks in you, and you'll be running insane bullshit poison spam builds and plotting to murder the merchant in no time.

I really wish One Step from Eden wasn't quite as fast as it was. Battle Network wasn't that fast! I can't keep up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
OSFE is so close to being incredible, but it still feels like there's something missing. For a game that presents itself as being so narrative and character-focused, there isn't actually much story there.