Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Heran Bago posted:

To anyone who has played it, how is the post game?
It’s mostly more dungeoning and less about the shop.

I don’t get why the dev haven’t made a sequel but went on to make some generic platformer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/949600/view/3180113694776921511

quote:

Anniversary Sale and a Thank You
It’s hard to believe that Intergalactic Fishing was released two years ago today. I just wanted to make a quick post to thank everybody who has supported the game over the last two years. Thanks to everybody who bought the game, thanks to everybody who left a review, thanks to all the content creators who made videos about the game or streamed it, thanks to everybody hanging out in the Discord answering questions and helping new players. Every little bit helps a small indie dev like me and I really appreciate all your support!

Intergalactic Fishing is on sale through the weekend at a new all-time low price, so if you haven’t played it yet, now is a great time to jump in!

No Man's Fishing Simulator on sale for 6$, which is a steal. It's really chill and fun. :kimchi:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/949600/view/3180113694776921511

No Man's Fishing Simulator on sale for 6$, which is a steal. It's really chill and fun. :kimchi:

I love Intergalactic Fishing. The soundscape really carries it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Always been interested in Intergalactic Fishing but never picked it up, looks like now's the time!

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I picked Intergalactic Fishing up, thanks for posting it, looks neat, hope to play it some day as well.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Heran Bago posted:

I was checking out the Steam page for Potionomics and it got me all nostalgic for Recettear. It was published by Carpe Fulgar, who had a brief stint of taking exceptional doujin games and localizing + publishing them in English. Is doujin even the right term?

Recettear is one of the most satisfying games I have ever played. It's an item shop sim with a very primitive dungeon crawler tacked on. The parts where you run the shop are gaming gold. The combination of music, sound effects, animations, anime, and short tension+relief cycles are laser etched in my memory. The Open Shop music still pops into my head sometimes and I'm like, that was a good game. You get a big chain of sales going and the risk/reward gets down to the wire. When you guess or calculate right you're rewarded with a small explosion and jingle of coins. I had a spreadsheet going for it to max customer satisfaction. I like a good spreadsheet and it's a sign of a great game when I get into making one.

I have played through the campaign twice but never touched the post game and havnt even tried one or two playable characters in dungeons. To anyone who has played it, how is the post game?

Carpe Fulgur brought over some real hidden gems, especially in a time where these obscure indie efforts would've never imagined seeing sale internationally. They're still in business, but primarily as translators for bigger games- apparently they recently did Super Robot Wars 30.

I'd like to see them localize some more doujin stuff over, but who knows when they'll ever get back to doing that.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Picked up both AI War 2 and Intergalactic Fishing, both sound fun for different reasons :)

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Is Arcen making AI War 3 or are they just folding up shop after they're done patching the expansion?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

TOOT BOOT posted:

Is Arcen making AI War 3 or are they just folding up shop after they're done patching the expansion?

Arcen's been folded up and was just finishing off AI War 2, I thought.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

StrixNebulosa posted:

Sad if true. I never played many Arcen games, but I liked their work. Valley Without Wind occupies a special place in my heart, despite me being entirely unable to remember exactly when I bought it or how I found out about it.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Protocol7 posted:

Turbo Overkill came out today and it seems pretty good. Instantly love the aesthetic, music and all of that. I'm a bit too tired and sluggish this morning for a fast paced boomer shooter though :v:

Took me 30 minutes to complete Level 3. Kept getting lost and couldn't figure out where to go. There's one part where a jump-beam thing has an arrow pointing one direction, towards a raised platform with nothing up there except for a locked door you can't interact with. Turns out you're supposed to go the opposite direction and wall run along a section -.-

When I beat Level 2 before closing the game earlier, I clicked Exit instead of Next Level and when I loaded back up earlier this afternoon I had to re-do the second level again. So uh maybe load into the next level and then exit the game just to be safe?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I haven't heard about anything on AI War 3. This is just the last expansion for 2, at least for now.

StrixNebulosa posted:

They're working on a new project, not folding up. They're stubborn, no matter the financial issues.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Another voice to recommend Intergalactic Fishing, it's really lovely.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I've also been playing Hero's Hour which seems pretty straightforward and charming. Tried an Easy game and still got absolutely destroyed by the AI. Still pretty fun overall though.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Protocol7 posted:

I've also been playing Hero's Hour which seems pretty straightforward and charming. Tried an Easy game and still got absolutely destroyed by the AI. Still pretty fun overall though.

Yeah I've been enjoying it despite getting curbstomped repeatedly too.

Really reminds me of a 2d Total War: Warhammer, right down to the turnbased campaign and real time battles.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I need more auto battlers. gently caress it, smash my mans into each other

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Benagain posted:

Darwinia has some semi-autobattler sections

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Benagain posted:

These ones are good:

Singleplayer: Astronarch
A ton of class/item/build variety, if the aesthetic isn't too off-putting to you it's the best singleplayer pure autobattler imo
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256779012/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1631596942

Live Multiplayer: Legion TD2
This one is extremely good imo
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256812015/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1606919858

At its heart it's a game about balancing multiple economies. You earn gold from killing waves of creeps, then spend that gold on either placing/upgrading units, or on workers. You need to keep your units in the field strong enough to hold off enemy waves, ideally for as little gold as possible so that you can buy as many workers as you can. Workers produce Mythium, which you spend on units that attack your paired enemy player on the other team. Spending Mythium earns you passive gold income for the rest of the match. It gets even more complicated by primarily revolving around randomized unit decks, so you don't have predetermined build orders each match, they depend on what rolls you get.

It has a steep learning curve and an extremely high skill ceiling but there are a lot of in-game assists and an AI coach that gives you tips based on your performance after every match. It has a singleplayer campaign but I haven't played it, I believe it's sort of along the lines of a challenge mode. There's a ton of depth and high-end play is very strategic, but the community that plays at that level is pretty small (~1000-2000ish people). There's a fun casual mode that has a larger playerbase, and a lot of in-game automated systems that prevent people from griefing and being toxic, and punishing people who are anyway.

Asynchronous multiplayer:
Despot's Game - play through singleplayer, then enter your surviving party members into a pvp tournament. I haven't played it too much myself but it's popular.

Super Auto Pets - this game is good but also incredibly frustrating because your opponent is drawn from a pool of every single player on the same "wave" as you, and it will intentionally try to make you lose, often. It will kill you right when you get your build off the ground 90% of the time. But since you don't need other players playing live at any given time (it's all asynchronous) it's very quick and snappy to play and it gets me stuck in a "just one more turn..." loop

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 23, 2022

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Benagain posted:

Super Auto Pets. Available everywhere including Steam and free (not F2P), free.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Heran Bago posted:

I was checking out the Steam page for Potionomics and it got me all nostalgic for Recettear. It was published by Carpe Fulgar, who had a brief stint of taking exceptional doujin games and localizing + publishing them in English. Is doujin even the right term?

Recettear is one of the most satisfying games I have ever played. It's an item shop sim with a very primitive dungeon crawler tacked on. The parts where you run the shop are gaming gold. The combination of music, sound effects, animations, anime, and short tension+relief cycles are laser etched in my memory. The Open Shop music still pops into my head sometimes and I'm like, that was a good game. You get a big chain of sales going and the risk/reward gets down to the wire. When you guess or calculate right you're rewarded with a small explosion and jingle of coins. I had a spreadsheet going for it to max customer satisfaction. I like a good spreadsheet and it's a sign of a great game when I get into making one.

I have played through the campaign twice but never touched the post game and havnt even tried one or two playable characters in dungeons. To anyone who has played it, how is the post game?
I've played it. Stick to retail.

More seriously, the dungeon crawl is fine as a change of pace from running the shop, or a chance to score some free items early on when funds are low, but when it's all you ever do (and in the post-game, it is) it's both time-consuming and shallow. Bosses are occasionally interesting, but the vast majority of your adventuring career is relatively mindless maze-navigation, plagued by increasingly monotonous swarms of uninteresting enemies.

There is a story component to it. It's alright. Most of the adventurers you meet are charming enough, and have some fun conversations. There are even a few revelations regarding the state of the world and your shop in particular. I'm still not sure if they're worth the slog. If someone somewhere's compiled all the cutscenes on Youtube, I'd honestly recommend that instead.

Finally, there's the item encyclopedia. You know, the thing Alouette told you about? "At least complete the item encyclopedia!" She's trolling you. Completing the item encyclopedia is literally the last thing you do in this game, after completing several NG+ cycles and experiencing the dungeon crawl content several times over, which includes grinding for rare items, treasures, and materials which only spawn in dungeons, with no indication of whether or not you're wasting your time (since they could just as easily not spawn, ever), and no real need to claim them other than sheer completionism. Even now the Steam forums are filled with posters who wish this game had achievements, because they're idiots. The devs did them a favor not including them.

Recettear is a great little item shop management sim and a painfully tedious dungeon crawler. Stick to capitalism, ho.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Saoshyant posted:

Super Auto Pets. Available everywhere including Steam and free (not F2P), free.

It's good but it's indeed really demanding, you don't have all the RNG-induced margin of error that you get in Hearthstone Battlegrounds or similar. That said it is very streamlined and fun and completely respects your time. I can boot up the app on my phone and be like 3 rounds deep into a new game before Hearthstone would even be finished matching me with opponents. Definitely my favorite auto battler.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

Yeah I've been enjoying it despite getting curbstomped repeatedly too.

Really reminds me of a 2d Total War: Warhammer, right down to the turnbased campaign and real time battles.

Do you actually control the battles? The trailer made it seem like a cluster gently caress you just watch

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Battles play out automatically but you control deployment before the battle starts, then you can give general orders to units during the fight (move toward this location, go for this target), and you also cast and target spells yourself during battles.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

FuzzySlippers posted:

Do you actually control the battles? The trailer made it seem like a cluster gently caress you just watch

It is a clusterfuck, but there's actually a surprising amount that you can do between movement orders and spells once you press play. Deployment also matters a lot, specially when you have bigger armies.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Wow, this is one of the most shameless copypastes I've ever seen.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1811750/VELONE/

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Jack Trades posted:

Wow, this is one of the most shameless copypastes I've ever seen.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1811750/VELONE/

Apparently you also have to watch three ads every time you start up the game too.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

lol

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Zil posted:

Apparently you also have to watch three ads every time you start up the game too.

Jesus christ.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

It wouldn't have taken much effort to package the mechanics in such a way that it didn't entirely look like Zachtronics clone

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Or at least have a friend or two rate the game positively in a cheap astroturfing attempt.

One of the few times I've seen 100% negative reviews.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

One would also assume the average Zachtronics fan wouldn't be so easily swayed by some poor man's rip-off.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Zil posted:

Saw that review too so I checked, it's more like a banner at the top of the main menu that links to Daedalic's other games.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Game looks like a shameful ripoff but that's a stupid complaint. I was playing Insurmountable earlier (another Daedalic published game) and they do the same thing and I thought nothing of it.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
My god I even tried to do a 2v2 in Hero's Hour and my AI partner got wiped off the map on day 2 of week 2. This is gonna be a learning experience, isn't it?

I did at least learn that buying an early second hero is worth it if only to help ferry new troops to your main hero.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Regardless of the rest of the game, it's very poor form to advertise for other products inside of the game itself. Yes, other games do it with their annoying launchers, and yes, people loudly complain about it there, too. The pushback is good.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I kind of like the old games that had ad billboards which no longer get updates, or never updated in the first place so you still see ads for like, Nokia phones, or movies from 2004 or something

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Trackmania 2020 has in game advertising but at least that doesn't have an upfront cost. I still don't love it but I completely understand it for a game that's otherwise free.

I think you can turn them off if you pay for an upgrade too.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Bad Seafood posted:

One would also assume the average Zachtronics fan wouldn't be so easily swayed by some poor man's rip-off.

Sometimes you like something so much that you'll settle for far less to get a bit more of it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Don't most Zachtronics games have workshop support? That's infinite Zachtronics right there, for the price you already paid.

You might say, "Well, user-created puzzles will never be up to par with what Zach's got in there already," but this is still technically just more user-created puzzles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
I refunded Teardown. Was hoping for some Guerilla style smashing but the physics is way off. A whole house can be held up by a single brick and then it just drops down vertically when you remove it.

Weird cause they obviously can topple structures - a wooden tower collapsed nicely. Not sure what they were going for with that game. It wasn't much fun.