Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

if it isn't Hyperbolica, it might be Maquette

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Hwurmp posted:

if it isn't Hyperbolica, it might be Maquette

Thank you!! This was driving me nuts. Hyperbolica is the one.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Heran Bago posted:

There's an indie game that came out within the last year, or isn't out yet. It's about weird perspective or something. The field of view is maybe circular. I think it's a puzzle game. I can't remember the name or the name of this effect.

It is not MC Escher inspired as far as I remember. It is not Superluminal.

Maquette maybe?

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256824289/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1614704635

Mantari
May 8, 2005
:D
Lipstick Apathy
I'm trying to remember a breakout-style game from at least over a decade old, you control the paddle and hit the ball against the bricks to break them.

There are power-ups you can catch or avoid that fall from the bricks, they increase or shrink the size of the paddle, give you more balls or make the ball continue through blocks.

Some of the blocks take more than one hit to break.

Edit: I found it - -~- Krypton Egg -~-

Mantari fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Apr 23, 2022

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Not to sound too snarky but it was good you figured it out yourself since you described literally every Breakout clone ever made there.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

One big difference with Krypton Egg is the enemies and Gradius-like boss battles.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

KennyMan666 posted:

Not to sound too snarky but it was good you figured it out yourself since you described literally every Breakout clone ever made there.

Seriously. I was about to suggest Moraff's Super Blast.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

THE BAR posted:

One big difference with Krypton Egg is the enemies and Gradius-like boss battles.

Arkanoid?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

It didn't switch perspective, did it? But yes, they're all very derivative.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

THE BAR posted:

It didn't switch perspective, did it? But yes, they're all very derivative.

Oh, that's what you meant by "Gradius-like", I see. No, Arkanoid was always a top-down game.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
This is not entirely fitting the thread, but I've been trying to recall details on a home console/computer that my aunt and uncle leant to me and my siblings somewhere in the late 80s/early 90s.

It used little magnetic cassette tapes (like answering machine tapes) to load games off of.
It had a big, black mechanical keyboard that was extremely satisfying to use.
It had little wired joypads to play the games with.
It hooked up to the TV and had a command prompt to launch stuff.
Among its games were a Pac-man ripoff called, I think, Ghost Hunter. Also a racing game, I think a Pong ripoff, and a text-based Russian Roulette game.
I don't *think* it was a major brand, probably more like a Commodore clone, but I'm hoping you guys can point me in the direction of the type of old home computer I could look for.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

davidspackage posted:

This is not entirely fitting the thread, but I've been trying to recall details on a home console/computer that my aunt and uncle leant to me and my siblings somewhere in the late 80s/early 90s.

It used little magnetic cassette tapes (like answering machine tapes) to load games off of.
Among its games were a Pac-man ripoff called, I think, Ghost Hunter. Also a racing game, I think a Pong ripoff, and a text-based Russian Roulette game.
I don't *think* it was a major brand, probably more like a Commodore clone, but I'm hoping you guys can point me in the direction of the type of old home computer I could look for.

Magnavox Odyssey?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

davidspackage posted:

Mobygames says the Tandy TRS-80 had a Pac-Man clone called Ghost Hunter, it definitely had a tape drive and a big black keyboard

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I’m trying to remember a souls-like (I think?) where there’s a giant chained up bird with a plague doctor mask or something that might be for upgrading weapons? I have no idea why I’m drawing a blank on this. It could have also maybe been from Pathologic 2 but it’s been ages since I tried that and I don’t remember any kind of hub world like the DeS Nexus and I really thought that’s where whatever it was was located.

Just a weird thing that has been stuck in the craw of my memory for a few days now.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Rockman Reserve posted:

I’m trying to remember a souls-like (I think?) where there’s a giant chained up bird with a plague doctor mask or something that might be for upgrading weapons? I have no idea why I’m drawing a blank on this. It could have also maybe been from Pathologic 2 but it’s been ages since I tried that and I don’t remember any kind of hub world like the DeS Nexus and I really thought that’s where whatever it was was located.

Just a weird thing that has been stuck in the craw of my memory for a few days now.

I think there’s an NPC like that in Mortal Shell?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Medullah posted:

Magnavox Odyssey?

Doesn't seem to quite be it, the keyboard it had was more of a plain keyboard. I think it had clear plastic caps that could be pulled off, I remember some of them had colored pieces of paper slipped under them.

Don't know if it helps, but it had a few colors to the games, wasn't black & white only. I think the games were like 3 colors. I recall the Ghost Hunter game having a blue background and red sprites.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Mobygames says the Tandy TRS-80 had a Pac-Man clone called Ghost Hunter, it definitely had a tape drive and a big black keyboard

Looks closer to what I remember, but I think the keyboard had a lot more keys... aach, I think it was probably an off-brand knockoff and there's little chance I'll find exactly what it was. Thanks though.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I think there’s an NPC like that in Mortal Shell?

This almost certainly has to be it, I fired it up in the middle of the night when it was free on PS+ and then promptly totally forgot about it which explains the hazy half-memory. Thanks!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Rockman Reserve posted:

This almost certainly has to be it, I fired it up in the middle of the night when it was free on PS+ and then promptly totally forgot about it which explains the hazy half-memory. Thanks!

No prob, I haven’t played it but I watched a GDQ speedrun and I remembered that dude lol

Crackmaster
Feb 6, 2004

davidspackage posted:

Doesn't seem to quite be it, the keyboard it had was more of a plain keyboard. I think it had clear plastic caps that could be pulled off, I remember some of them had colored pieces of paper slipped under them.

Don't know if it helps, but it had a few colors to the games, wasn't black & white only. I think the games were like 3 colors. I recall the Ghost Hunter game having a blue background and red sprites.

Maybe the Philips P2000T? I'm no retro computer expert, but when my brain decided to work and I finally realized your earlier reference to answering machine tapes meant mini-cassettes (I'm a dinosaur and tend to remember machines that used the full size ones) I searched for home systems that used them and that popped up. Looks like it has those clear key caps, with a couple color ones, and there's a game called Ghosthunt that I can't seem to find actual gameplay of. Somebody on Youtube has the title screen, though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZT9ZJfZ2SE&t=33s

Ring any bells?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Crackmaster posted:

Maybe the Philips P2000T? I'm no retro computer expert, but when my brain decided to work and I finally realized your earlier reference to answering machine tapes meant mini-cassettes (I'm a dinosaur and tend to remember machines that used the full size ones) I searched for home systems that used them and that popped up. Looks like it has those clear key caps, with a couple color ones, and there's a game called Ghosthunt that I can't seem to find actual gameplay of. Somebody on Youtube has the title screen, though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZT9ZJfZ2SE&t=33s

Ring any bells?

You know, I think that's it! Amazing that you found it. I can't believe the person who uploaded the title screen didn't record a little gameplay. I didn't recall the game and instructions being Dutch, but it would make sense, since I am as well.

I wonder if there's still working ones to be found...

Ghost Who Walks
Jul 15, 2005

High Five.
Bangalla style.
Don't know if anyone will be able to help with this one - I'm having no luck with my searches.

Looking for a 1930s gangster themed shooter. I recall it being isometric but may be slightly off on that.
Major point that I recall is that one of the levels (the first maybe?) starts with a peaceful evening at a fancy restaurant before a car ploughs through the window and your PCs come out blasting the various mooks attendant.

I remember playing this in an Arcade on a ferry in the early 90s.

No clue on the name unfortunately.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011

Ghost Who Walks posted:

Don't know if anyone will be able to help with this one - I'm having no luck with my searches.

Looking for a 1930s gangster themed shooter. I recall it being isometric but may be slightly off on that.
Major point that I recall is that one of the levels (the first maybe?) starts with a peaceful evening at a fancy restaurant before a car ploughs through the window and your PCs come out blasting the various mooks attendant.

I remember playing this in an Arcade on a ferry in the early 90s.

No clue on the name unfortunately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbLUtFjJhcc&t=303s

Dead Connection?

Ghost Who Walks
Jul 15, 2005

High Five.
Bangalla style.

I'm going to have to say that's it!
Thanks for the assist.

Bit less polished looking than it was in my memories but that's the way of things I guess.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I might as well as for another mid-nineties arcade game: an early 3D fighting game with manga-looking characters. The gimmick was that the fighters flew/floated inside a cube-shaped 3D arena. One had some kind of black hole/gravity attack.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hannibal Rex posted:

I might as well as for another mid-nineties arcade game: an early 3D fighting game with manga-looking characters. The gimmick was that the fighters flew/floated inside a cube-shaped 3D arena. One had some kind of black hole/gravity attack.

That sounds like Psychic Force

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I've got 2 that have been bugging me for a while.

First one is super vague, I think it was a dos game, I'd say late 80s maybe very early 90s I played it. Black background, overhead game. I remember it involving turtles, and I think you had to collect a key and maybe red crystals? I was playing lemmings and pac man on the pc around the time. I've found most games from my early childhood but this completely escapes me. I don't think it was one of the boulderdash type games, I know I played paganitzu later on and that is not it but keeps influencing my memories of it lol.

Other one i think would have been mid 90s, I think windows 95, using the windows frame/menus etc. Very primitive 3d motorcycle/dirtbike game, I think one of the modes you had to see how far you could climb a spiral shaped mountain. I think you could do stuff like edit your suspension, wheel size and width etc.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

That sounds like Psychic Force

Yeah, that's it, thanks!

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
I recently saw a thread of a game that played kind of like pokemon but you could interbreed your pets and come up with weird combinations. The player character had a class and there were a bunch of options. WTF am I thinking of?

edit: I think it was a newer game, the op I think mentioned there were plans for it to come out on mobile soon.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
http://monsterbreeder.com/ ?

E: not a trap

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
Could also be siralim ultimate? https://store.steampowered.com/app/1289810/Siralim_Ultimate/

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Guessing it's Monster Sanctuary, though I'm not sure if it has breeding.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

It was this, thanks!

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Anyone remember an old Flash game where you had an arrangement of stars in the sky, and you changed the viewing angle until the stars arranged an image?

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

IMJack posted:

Anyone remember an old Flash game where you had an arrangement of stars in the sky, and you changed the viewing angle until the stars arranged an image?

I think this is Starlight 2.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Bullseye, thank you!

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011

What the hell is your avatar lol

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
I'm trying to remember a weird old PC game, I can't remember a lot about it but it was isometric, you played a guy in a blue robe and he was fighting some kind of totalitarian regime with a golden ball? You could sneak around and explored a world map kind of RPG style.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Badactura posted:

I'm trying to remember a weird old PC game, I can't remember a lot about it but it was isometric, you played a guy in a blue robe and he was fighting some kind of totalitarian regime with a golden ball? You could sneak around and explored a world map kind of RPG style.

Little Big Adventure AKA Relentless: Twinsen's Odyssey. Or the sequel

Jinkeez
Dec 31, 2008

Badactura posted:

That sounds like Relentless: Twinsen's Adventure. There's also a sequel, Little Big Adventure 2: Twinsen's Odyssey.

E:FB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
That's it, thank you!