Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

HopperUK posted:

I mean dealing with constant abuse and creepy powerful men is likely to make a person a bit 'difficult'. Where difficult means assertive and firm and asserting boundaries.

Oh absolutely, the labeling was a tactic by the powers that be to say "she won't let you gently caress her so don't bother hiring her"

that's not to say those who got hosed were in any way at fault, more to say that those who didn't were also victims

e: "hosed" is too generous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

deety posted:

I'm going to suggest avoiding phrases like "plastic bimbo" when talking about groupies, even when the point is to insult the excesses of the men who treated them badly. Terms like that helped to justify the victim blaming that you go on to talk about.

And as someone who was active in a local indie/alternative scene for the second half of the 90s (both as a fan and for work), there were still plenty of "normal" shitheads taking advantage of fans and younger artists. The music and overall culture may not have glamorized abusing women in the same way, but the dirtbags in that crowd benefited from 20+ years of public perceptions of how rock musicians could treat women as well as the more widespread understanding that it was pointless for a victim to report anything if they'd been drinking, or even just willingly hanging out with someone, before they were hurt. I heard devastating whisper network poo poo about some guys I'd never have suspected based on their lyrics or interviews or public reputations. Not that you can believe every rumor you hear, but before everyone had social media and cell phones, our options for protecting ourselves were gossip and just flat-out keeping an eye on one another.

Having higher profile male musicians calling out sexism did help, but holy poo poo did it used to piss me off that that was ever needed in the first place, that so many men weren't willing to see these things as real issues until they were told to by other guys.

As long as there's pop music (and I include emo, hardcore, glam rock or whatever in that) there will be men who see how it appeals to the vulnerable or confused teenage experience and leverage that into getting close to confused and vulnerable teenagers. I'm not sure if that's the chicken or the egg of why emotive, poppy music performed by men who make themselves appear less threatening with hairspray and eyeliner who then turn out to be abusers keeps circling back into rotation, but I will say any 30 year old singing about how daddy doesn't understand, be it in 1972 or 2019, will get my hackles raised.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Now give a non-male example.

Why are you trying to frame it as a problem exclusive to women? We know the abuse and retaliations crossed gender and sexuality lines. Pretending it didn't is of disservice to the victims and, again, playing into assumptions that let abusers get away with abuse.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Now give a non-male example.

Ali Larter.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

pentyne posted:

Ali Larter.

Who?

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Why are you trying to frame it as a problem exclusive to women? We know the abuse and retaliations crossed gender and sexuality lines. Pretending it didn't is of disservice to the victims and, again, playing into assumptions that let abusers get away with abuse.

lol we might know the abuse and retaliations crossed gender lines, but if you want to equate the volume and severity of abuse that men have to endure at the hands of women with the amout of abuse women have to endure at the hands of men, you are out of your mind. It's not exclusive to women but it's absolutely lopsided.

Grendels Dad fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 23, 2022

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
And? I was warning not to fall into assumptions and patterns of reaction that enable abuse, and the response was an insinuation of sexism and a dismissal of the male victims.

Do you not see the issue here?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

And? I was warning not to fall into assumptions and patterns of reaction that enable abuse, and the response was an insinuation of sexism and a dismissal of the male victims.

Do you not see the issue here?

No, since the female victims outnumber the male ones, the women in power are far fever than the men in power, and general sexism is still A Thing so your attempts to equate the issues here is honestly quite troubling.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Grendels Dad posted:

No, since the female victims outnumber the male ones, the women in power are far fever than the men in power, and general sexism is still A Thing so your attempts to equate the issues here is honestly quite troubling.

Sexism absolutely means that more men are in power and so more men are in a position to perpetrate and evade the consequences of abuse, but to then draw the assumption that only men can be abusers or that women can be abused is an error.

Brendan Fraser came forward as an abuse victim not long ago, and JK Rowling is currently lending her considerable influence to the TERF movement. People with power can abuse it, and people without (enough) power can be victims.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 23, 2022

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Grendels Dad posted:

This is some "explanation equals support" horseshit.

Pointing out that something exists is not a demand that everyone treats it equally.

This comes up repeatedly when people want to declare "oh yeah, X totally looks like a rapist/abuser" because it falls into the trope that only a certain class of people are the 'bad ones' and you end up perpetuating the problem by giving cover to anyone who is a rapist/abuser but is conventionally attractive or appears harmless by your standards.

Terry Crews had to make a huge public statement over his harassment years later when he had power and clout to survive any fallout, and in response had a river of poo poo from other men and women mocking him for 'accepting' his abuse.

You're literally part of the problem you claim to care about.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 23, 2022

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

Sexism absolutely means that more men are in power and so more men are in a position to perpetrate and evade the consequences of abuse, but to draw the assumption that only men can be abusers or that women can be abused is an error.

Brendan Fraser came forward as an abuse victim not long ago, and JK Rowling is currently lending her considerable influence to the TERF movement. There's no clean divide.

Nobody did that. The poster who says they want to warn against this happening brought up Jared loving Leto as an example of male actors being labelled "difficult to work with" and last I checked he is not in any hurt for work.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It was an example of a difficult to work with actor actually existing in the context of saying that the label being applied was effective because arseholes are common in that industry. Being disingenuous because I picked one very prominent example isn't a rebuttal.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

It was an example of a difficult to work with actor actually existing in the context of saying that the label being applied was effective because arseholes are common in that industry. Being disingenuous because I picked one very prominent example isn't a rebuttal.

In what way is that label effective when speaking about actresses? I'd say the comparison is god-awful because the ways in which Chevey Chase and Jared Leto are difficult to work with are well documented and felt really misplaced in the discussion.

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

today on somethingawful: we're mad that the word "difficult" has been applied to a broad range of things

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

There are undoubtedly actresses who have had their careers sidelined by genuinely being hard to work with on a professional level (it's not like soaring egos and debilitating drug additions are exclusive to men). However:

1) outside of inner Hollywood circles it's hard to know who that actually applies to versus who got painted with that brush for daring to stand up for themselves, and

2) given the sheer prevalence of abuse and harassment in Hollywood casting it wouldn't be surprising for them to also have sexual abuse horror stories

so trying to figure out who's who just winds up leading to people making fairly gross assumptions about people and situations they know very little about.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Alhazred posted:

According to Gangs of London they have enough guns to form an army.

But they primarily resolve things through elaborate karate fights. gently caress that show is so good.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I think people are forgetting that certain language is used and perpetuated in very specific ways to marginalize women. Calling a woman "difficult" is a lot different from calling a man "difficult". Hell, the word "hysterical" was straight up invented to paint women as overly emotional and prone to irrationality. When someone calls a male actor "difficult" people go "Oh he's just an rear end in a top hat." or even "That's just part of his process.". Now think about what people picture when a woman is called "difficult". Not even on a set just anywhere. In this context it's a very loaded word.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Well, male actors with bad reputations stemming from alleged violent behavior, out-of-control drug use, being sex pests*, etc. continue to get work until they die of old age.

Women who do the same can't even count on making a soft landing into the cosmetics industry after they turn 30.

* I kinda hate the term sex pest because it makes it sound cute, when it's usually rape, attempted rape, or stuff that would get normal people on a sex offender registry until they die.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

CPL593H posted:

I think people are forgetting that certain language is used and perpetuated in very specific ways to marginalize women. Calling a woman "difficult" is a lot different from calling a man "difficult". Hell, the word "hysterical" was straight up invented to paint women as overly emotional and prone to irrationality. When someone calls a male actor "difficult" people go "Oh he's just an rear end in a top hat." or even "That's just part of his process.". Now think about what people picture when a woman is called "difficult". Not even on a set just anywhere. In this context it's a very loaded word.

Yep. Another thing to keep in mind is that shifting a subject towards how issues affect men is a common (and long-standing) tactic used to derail discussions of the ways that women are hurt by sexist nonsense. Decades of bad faith anti-feminist arguments have poisoned the well of "ok but men have also had problems with that thing you're talking about," so some folks are going to assume that anything along those lines is whataboutism unless there's a really clear point behind it.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
This got me looking at the Talk page of Wikipedia articles, and it's quite apparent that users aren't happy with the Conservative tone of medical information there. The ''mania' page has just what you're describing:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Mania

It's a pretty consistent pattern for any term you've asked yourself "but what does that mean? I don't feel that way." That, or the lovely Conservative idea is laundered into a redirect to some objective or professional topic.

I also came across this anecdote in Only Child (redirected from the horseshit Only Child Syndrome), which is basically a Simpsons scene

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

https://twitter.com/sunflxwervolsix/status/1518706417548640256?s=20&t=cu4gswX1MGe_61VlwCzW5g

from what I can tell (I've watched Hassan's coverage of the trail) she is clearly a terrible person you would never want to date. But, Depp could easily have also been lovely to her. If both parties are abusive, what's the discussion around that lead? Don't hurt either career, but date at your own risk?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

LionArcher posted:

https://twitter.com/sunflxwervolsix/status/1518706417548640256?s=20&t=cu4gswX1MGe_61VlwCzW5g

from what I can tell (I've watched Hassan's coverage of the trail) she is clearly a terrible person you would never want to date. But, Depp could easily have also been lovely to her. If both parties are abusive, what's the discussion around that lead? Don't hurt either career, but date at your own risk?

I thought this tweet was saying the lawyer objecting to a question Depp asked, not the question the lawyer himself asked. Also lol at the witnesses "but you asked the question" response to the objection

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

LionArcher posted:

(Very) short video from our favorite legal expert on YouTube talking about this very topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynnBfUwkaMk

Basically, he wasn't really objecting to the question he asked, but objected to the answer to the question. Which happened because he asked his question in an ambiguous way. It's a somewhat understandable gently caress up, and happens all the time, but also he still hosed up, and it doesn't make him look like a good lawyer.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

LionArcher posted:

From the coverage I've read of the trial, Depp was physically and verbally abusive to Heard on numerous occasions, and she retaliated against him with violence. I don't think it's a matter of both parties being abusive, I think it's a common case where a victim of abuse is not perfect and fights back in sometimes nasty ways. Depp has waged a very successful media campaign against Heard to paint her as cruel, vindictive and desperate for fame, and I think it's a terrible shame that it's worked so well.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Care to elaborate on your point?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Depp must have paid some bots to push this poo poo because it’s everywhere now. About how sad he looks videos coming up as you mindlessly scroll thru videos on Facebook. Normies sharing memes about how Amber Heard is a monster and look at what she’s doing to poor Johnny. It’s really loving gross.

Also a million MRAs are screeching from the mountaintops about this too.

It’s so hosed up this is being aired out in public.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'm not a bot! I think they're both messy and trashy. I've followed the case fairly loosely, and generally dislike Depp. It's more easy to sympathise with Depp as I'm also a man who's been abused by a partner, but I'm actually not all-in on Johnny Innocent.

The Musk connection is relevant, as they seemed to get together pretty soon after, and he's similarly trashy. Epstein's ghost haunts the rich at every turn, which is very very relevant to the thread.

Absolutely agree it's hosed to see it aired out in public. The MRAs are DYING for a woman to be evil. My guess, and it'd be a guess, is that they're both horrible and toxic. Maybe they just drive each other nuts. There was nearly no reason for them to stay together. He owns an island. The competition to see who is worse is kind of pointless if he's hitting her and she's hitting him.

well why not fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 27, 2022

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I haven't been following the Johnny Depp thing but it's not like people that are lovely can't also be abused by a second lovely person. It's kind of like how everyone elevated Melania Trump for a while until she was openly mocking undocumented immigrants in concentration camps. No one deserves being abused but that doesn't absolve her of being a huge piece of poo poo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Yeah, the whole 'helpless victim who must be unquestioningly defended' thing is its own kind of well-demonstrated toxic. And really just another manifestation of madonna-whore syndrome.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I feel a little bad for Melania just because I don't think she thought she'd be married to Trump this long. She saw him eat once and thought "yeah, I can do this for 5ish years" and it's 17 years later and she's somehow not a widow.

She's still a terrible person, but I always feel bad for someone Trump screws in a deal.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
They seem to both be abusive people, equally as horrible as each other honestly.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

My take on the Depp / Heard situation, because obviously everyone needs it, is that they're likely both inclined to abuse and they managed to bring out the worst in each other. There's plenty out there to suggest both of them gave as much as they got, and not just in defense or as a reaction. And it feels like there's certain people who really need one side or the other to be The Clear-Cut Bad Guy for ideological reasons, when the actual case seems far messier than that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Forget it Jake, it's Chinatown.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
It seems very noticeable to me that extremely pro Depp stuff is getting signal boosted through the roof right now. He always seemed like a chaotic mess of a human but all this has made me see him in a much different light. The kind of campaign that has been waged against Heard is calculated and controlling. Not the work of a drunk who can't control his emotions, which is how he is often presented.

I mean, either way it's abusive.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Wow lots of Heard defenders here

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Well, male actors with bad reputations stemming from alleged violent behavior, out-of-control drug use, being sex pests*, etc. continue to get work until they die of old age.

Women who do the same can't even count on making a soft landing into the cosmetics industry after they turn 30.

* I kinda hate the term sex pest because it makes it sound cute, when it's usually rape, attempted rape, or stuff that would get normal people on a sex offender registry until they die.

This is a dilemma that happens in dealing with sexual assault generally, people have visceral reactions to words like “rape” or “sexual assault” that will cause them to reflexively deny cases of it “oh no I/my friend couldn’t be a rapist”. So it’s tempting to soften the language to things like “sex pest” to get people to even admit that something happened. But then that runs the risk of trivialising it.

Vintersorg posted:

Depp must have paid some bots to push this poo poo because it’s everywhere now. About how sad he looks videos coming up as you mindlessly scroll thru videos on Facebook. Normies sharing memes about how Amber Heard is a monster and look at what she’s doing to poor Johnny. It’s really loving gross.

Also a million MRAs are screeching from the mountaintops about this too.

It’s so hosed up this is being aired out in public.

Depp doesn’t really need bots, he comes off well on the stand because he’s a famously charsmatic actor. A lot of the stuff that goes viral is him coming out with funny lines or making Heards lawyers look like clowns and it’s like, well yeah he’s Johnny Depp.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Apr 27, 2022

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

massive spider posted:

This is a dilemma that happens in dealing with sexual assault generally, people have visceral reactions to words like “rape” or “sexual assault” that will cause them to reflexively deny cases of it “oh no I/my friend couldn’t be a rapist”. So it’s tempting to soften the language to things like “sex pest” to get people to even admit that something happened. But then that runs the risk of trivialising it.

Depp doesn’t really need bots, he comes off well on the stand because he’s a famously charsmatic actor. A lot of the stuff that goes viral is him coming out with funny lines or making Heards lawyers look like clowns and it’s like, well yeah he’s Johnny Depp.

No theres many times he doesn't come off well at all, just stutters and stammers his way around non answers. What gets boosted to social media are his good moments, not say the moment where they were playing a tape of Heard shouting for Depp to get off her and his defence for not getting off her was that he 'didn't hear her'. Those don't make for cute little fan cams.

https://twitter.com/justmights/status/1518616016263303169?t=JM0jzzwSRKZo5U6TDMhoIA&s=19

https://twitter.com/Geekthedog/status/1518204202077597696?t=Y0s1J2vc4VI0gx9NXklW9A&s=19

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

DrVenkman posted:

No theres many times he doesn't come off well at all, just stutters and stammers his way around non answers. What gets boosted to social media are his good moments, not say the moment where they were playing a tape of Heard shouting for Depp to get off her and his defence for not getting off her was that he 'didn't hear her'. Those don't make for cute little fan cams.

https://twitter.com/justmights/status/1518616016263303169?t=JM0jzzwSRKZo5U6TDMhoIA&s=19

https://twitter.com/Geekthedog/status/1518204202077597696?t=Y0s1J2vc4VI0gx9NXklW9A&s=19

Thank you for this, the endless “meme moments” in favor of Depp make it hard to find counter-examples.

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

There's no such thing as mutual abuse. UK courts already found 12 instances where Depp abused Heard. Even if she's a lovely person, that doesn't mean lovely things haven't happened to her.

Also, this trial isn't about whether the abuse happened, it's whether Heard's op-ed was the sole reason Johnny Depp lost work thereafter -- even though he's been a liability on set for years now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013
I'm glad someone said it, and thanks for the examples

I have no doubt Amber Heard is as toxic as we're told, but there's a blatant, heavy push to make Depp the wronged innocent in this and it's a bit hard to see social media friends who were all about #metoo suddenly pushing every snippet of this farce.

But we're not talking about Will Smith slapping Chris Rock, so that's something I guess...