Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Prediction: She's Ian's ex.

Oh GOD I hope you're right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Storm P

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

I guess the "Out, damned Spot!" joke was too obvious.

Get Repeats 4/22/02

It's interesting -- Bucky looks pretty much the same but Rob has gotten a lot less dorky-looking over the last couple of years.

Stephen Collins

Brenda Starr 8/8/48

Smokey Stover 6/29/47

Everyday Movies 1/26/35

"There goes Princess Sdznski. Why, you know her -- last year she was Mrs. Phiff de St. Phifft and the year before that Mrs. J. Jepthcott Wenworth."

Bonus Headline That Reads Very Differently When You Don't Know It's About Horses!

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (April 26, 1975)

The Funky Retrobean Conclusion (as the chorus sings "Will The Circle Be Unbroken")

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (November 23, 1938)

Out Our Way (August 29-31, 1938)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (August 29-31, 1938)

If I'm reading that right, that's a grim chuckle.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

I'll say it again: Why don't they just put Marmaduke to sleep?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Nov. 26, 1950)

That last panel. Lovely.

Cowslips Warren posted:

gently caress that FOOB parents. "Oh we kicked you out and realized an hour later that was bad form. We won't apologize though, you're still a deviant!"

Lawrence, in a good world, would have been found by Dustin. Dustin takes him off to the Tinkersons, who have room for two lost and abused boys. Dustin gets a job at the lightbulb factory, and everything works out great.

Oh and Lawrence goes to work for the Safe Havens lab, and gets the fucker shut down because of all the ethics violations.

Let's be real though. If Lawrence went to the Safe Havens lab those psychos would keep him quiet by turning him into an anteater and forcing him to have babies with a homophobic raccoon because Holbrook is all about the mismatched pairings.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Murdstone posted:

Apartment 3-G

And a last good-bye to Frankie and his Mama.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Murdstone posted:

Olivia Jaimes at least seems to care about Nancy.

Look at this from the first week with Jules:

And this one from last week with somewhat similar panels.

It seems pretty clear to me she's cranking these out with as little effort as possible. I don't even blame her either. It's probably a "I'm only going to put X effort into a project for X amount of money" thing and I doubt she's getting much per strip. At most it's a good thing to have on her work history when looking for new clients.

Wow, that's a heck of a contrast. I can see why I didn't notice it until you pointed it out, since the cartoony style naturally lends itself to sloppiness. But even before then I definitely noticed how "Mark Trail - Nature Guy on Social Media" was a much clearer aspect of the premise early on while now it's just...I have no idea what Mark or anyone else even does for an actual job anymore.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Even the dialogue has deteriorated along with the art, it's a full sequence of lines that build on each other and serve a purpose in the first strip and almost entirely filler in the recent one, complete with text boxes so panel 3 has at least something, and it's very easy to suspect that the lettering has become larger in order for less text to cover up the same amount of panel.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Hostile V posted:

Everybody's A God drat Parent Now

Now granted, the only sports I ever did in high school were individual sports, not team sports. But I find the whole idea of thinking of your coaches were your parents to be uh...odd. This even in the context where the coaches were old enough to be your parents and, in some cases, actually were your parents, since the coaches had kids too.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Julet Esqu posted:

That last panel. Lovely.

Let's be real though. If Lawrence went to the Safe Havens lab those psychos would keep him quiet by turning him into an anteater and forcing him to have babies with a homophobic raccoon because Holbrook is all about the mismatched pairings.

No I clearly said he got that place shut the gently caress down. And why not, Samantha is forced to flee and become DETHANY FROM ON THE FASTRACK.

I don't get why Holbrook didn't make the trapeze people marry/have kids with the dude in the wheelchair. I mean it seems right up his alley.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I appreciate, EasyEW, that you're doing multiple posts a day now. More comics are great, but I often read or skip a whole page at a time and the longer the page is the more likely I am to skip in the middle of it.

EasyEW posted:

Our Boarding House (October 31-November 2, 1921)

I really like Our Boarding House in a way that surprises me. The style is super similar to Out Our Way, but the premise is much more condensed. So, no abrupt transitions between the children and the dude ranch with my trying to guess whether I'm dealing with an obscure one shot cultural reference or an ongoing storyline I missed a comic or two from.

quote:

Little Lefty gives us "Hey, comrade kids! Let's put on a show!" (June 1-3, 1936)

I enjoyed this silly tomboy joke way too much.

quote:

Blondie (From Zero), in which love conquers all, except a heroine who's open to bribery. (December 7-9, 1931)

I really liked Blondie and Dagwood going to college, because their parents bought the college, since it's a genuinely interesting setting we don't see in comics very often that gives everyone some much needed variety in their motivation. So I am naturally just as irritated that the writing has jumped right back to Dagwood's parents trying to break them up. It's an incredibly boring and one-note premise and I can see why the comic's popularity improved dramatically when it was just gotten rid of once and for all.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Julet Esqu posted:

That last panel. Lovely.

That's a stupid idea and you know it, Holbrook would never do that.

Now, a homophobic ant, that I would buy.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

riderchop posted:

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Rae the Doe is, for the moment, my favorite hip new millennial comic because Olive may have a limited repertoire of competency in terms of nonsensical puns but by golly, as long as she sticks to that brand, she does it right.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Slammy posted:

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

This one's fun trying to read the guy's voice as either "doesn't realize they pulled a racism on him" or "knows exactly what they were doing and is mocking them with dark sarcasm" (I mean the character's perspective, the author/reader's is pretty clear). I'm inclined toward the latter, and it's having me rethink some other Bootie strips where I read characters as clueless.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Kennel posted:

Unfortunately that thread is still in Far Side prison, so I can't check.

This reminded me that we haven't heard from the mods on this in quite some time. And I'm pretty sure none of them read this thread anyway. So I made a QCS thread if anyone wants to quietly, calmly, and sincerely ask for it to be reopened.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4000322

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Here's a Tom Gauld comic I saw recently that amused me.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Taking quality time to catch up on the thread, in case you couldn't tell, and just noticed to my sadness while updating the OP that Bibliotechno Music hasn't posted since January. They seem to be OK, having posted in other forums since then. Just feeling kind of down realizing we haven't seen outsider stuff like Aragones, Life in Hell, Marlys, and Sylvia for a while.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Night Visitors

Monya the Grey

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Felt that reaction in the last panel on a visceral level.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

EasyEW posted:

The Funky Retrobean Conclusion (as the chorus sings "Will The Circle Be Unbroken")

Is this the comic shop owner? Also, way to touch that Rare and Valuable comic with your bare greasy nerd hands.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

Just wanted to add as a (very late) addition to Mark Trail chat that even at its very worst, I don't think the new Mark Trail is as lazy as Intelligent Life. Now here's a comic taking laziness to such extreme levels it managed to get canned from newspapers.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Green Intern posted:

Is this the comic shop owner? Also, way to touch that Rare and Valuable comic with your bare greasy nerd hands.

It's in pre-boom history, it's not as valuable yet.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (Jan 4-5, 1991)

So, am I the only one who doesn't remember this storyline even slightly? I was surprised when it kept going after the first one.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Some Guy TT posted:

So, am I the only one who doesn't remember this storyline even slightly? I was surprised when it kept going after the first one.

It has a whole collection named after it.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

Spud is the best character in the entire thread. This is not up for debate.

Some Guy TT posted:

I sure didn’t but for some reason I remember the hell out of that book cover.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 23, 2022

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Vargo posted:

Heart of the City

Just want to note that when I added Heart of the City to the OP I described it as "almost interesting" and I think that's a pretty good way to sum this comic up.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I had a lot of the Calvin and Hobbes collections but I do not remember that one somehow.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Not sorry

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Kennel posted:

Not sorry

You shouldn't be.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Good Listener posted:

I had a lot of the Calvin and Hobbes collections but I do not remember that one somehow.

It was the only one I owned!

My brother left it in the rain :(

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Big Nate Year 1 (Mar 26-27, 1991)

Old School Peanuts (Jul 6, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jan 6-7, 1991)

No Blind Alley today

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

readingatwork posted:

Big Nate Year 1 (Mar 26-27, 1991)

"What the hay do these kids today see in Bob Ross?" in 1991 is a real "old man yells at cloud" take.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Is the joke here a pun on rei (幽霊 and 冷酒)? (It still works on the level that ghosts and cold go together.)

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Some Guy TT posted:

Now granted, the only sports I ever did in high school were individual sports, not team sports. But I find the whole idea of thinking of your coaches were your parents to be uh...odd. This even in the context where the coaches were old enough to be your parents and, in some cases, actually were your parents, since the coaches had kids too.
High School Football in America is a death cult with some really manipulative coaches who can try and insert themselves into a position of parental authority in your life sometimes. Not all the time but like a substantially more than nonzero amount of times.

Bipartisan Childbirth Adventures

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Caphi posted:

Is the joke here a pun on rei (幽霊 and 冷酒)? (It still works on the level that ghosts and cold go together.)

No, it's the simple reason I'm pretty sure. Ghost stories give you chills! (Not that your reading couldn't be right though - but he calls himself "obake" rather than "yuurei", which would obfuscate the "rei" pun a bit.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

NRVNQSR posted:

"What the hay do these kids today see in Bob Ross?" in 1991 is a real "old man yells at cloud" take.

I think Peirce himself is the one who likes Bob Ross. This feels like him poking fun at himself more than anything else.