Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Deuce posted:

Actually threatening the structure of the earth is ludicrously off the scale of nuclear weapon yields.
Yeah. For all the power of nuclear weapons, all of them combined just have the ability to slightly upset the very top layer of the Earth for a short while. Worrying about them affecting the integrity of the Earth itself is like being scared a mortar round could cause a sinkhole that drags an entire country down into the bowels of the Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Well, upsetting the mantle would take a hefty blow, but for comparison, the Chicxulub event has been estimated to have been around 70 teratons, which is only what, five orders of magnitude from the theoretical yield of Tsar Bomba? But again, constructing one of these babies is very much in the realm of theory. Until someone tries :ohno:

I don't think anyone has been suggesting that current ICBMs could be used to literally crack the Earth.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
“only five orders of magnitude”

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

what if you made one of these wider and then drop some all the way down there?

probably mild quakes if anything, i mean its a fuckin lot of rock to move so wed notice up here

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kola_Superdeep_Borehole

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I wonder if the US could weaponize California and just dump that baby into the ocean with a suitable chain of underground bombs along the fault line? Although I guess the enormous waves would have to cross the entire Pacific, so a lot of the energy would be wasted :(

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

I don't think California has the right kinds of faults for that so instead it'd probably just vibrate a bunch and make an annoying sound / kill everyone.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Whatever man. If you don't think building a multi-stage thermonuclear device that's got fuckoff yield to spray some continental plates into the atmosphere is tight AF, then IDK what to tell you. I guess we're not on the same page about this whole "NUCLEAR HOLOCAUST NOW" thing, braj.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Apr 22, 2022

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

I don't think California has the right kinds of faults for that so instead it'd probably just vibrate a bunch and make an annoying sound / kill everyone.

A cursory search indicates California has a large number of faults.

Mister Speaker posted:

Whatever man. If you don't think building a multi-stage thermonuclear device that's got fuckoff yield to spray some continental plates into the atmosphere is tight AF, then IDK what to tell you. I guess we're not on the same page about this whole "NUCLEAR HOLOCAUST NOW" thing, braj.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Yeah it's got plenty, I think they're mostly slip faults that just go back and forth instead of anything neat like subduction. Anyway I'm not a geologist so maybe someone else could come up with a good place to put the supernuke so it works?

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

Yeah it's got plenty, I think they're mostly slip faults that just go back and forth instead of anything neat like subduction. Anyway I'm not a geologist so maybe someone else could come up with a good place to put the supernuke so it works?

Juan de Fuca plate and Cascadian subduction zone off the west coast. If there was a major full margin slip and earthquake it uh... could basically make costal cities from Vancouver Island to southern Oregon/northern Califonia (along with most of the coast) simply slide into the ocean due to liquefaction of the uppermost parts of the subsurface. Likely trigger a few smaller faults to reactivate and probably a monster tsunami since that whole coast a tectonic mash-up and the main faults are like 100 miles off shore.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Sounds like we should put the petanuke there then.

Oh also I'm an idiot and thought we were trying to get California to go under another plate, not just make a big splash so yeah, let me know how I can help. Maybe donate a smoke detector or two? Won't need it when we're done it sounds like.

Stanley Goodspeed fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 23, 2022

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

yellowstone seems like the evil genius sorta spot?
could a nuke kick off a seismic event that would otherwise take another 100k years to naturally occur?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

No_talent posted:

Juan de Fuca plate and Cascadian subduction zone off the west coast. If there was a major full margin slip and earthquake it uh... could basically make costal cities from Vancouver Island to southern Oregon/northern Califonia (along with most of the coast) simply slide into the ocean due to liquefaction of the uppermost parts of the subsurface. Likely trigger a few smaller faults to reactivate and probably a monster tsunami since that whole coast a tectonic mash-up and the main faults are like 100 miles off shore.

So what you're telling me is that Lex Luthor could absolutely have succeeded?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

I was mostly referring to the road network, general lack of low income transportation and the guy who stole my parking spot in West Hollywood five years ago but yeah those too.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Sleekly posted:

yellowstone seems like the evil genius sorta spot?
could a nuke kick off a seismic event that would otherwise take another 100k years to naturally occur?

This is probably the right answer, but I'd like to wipe out the west coast more.

Ionicpsycho
Dec 25, 2006
The Shortbus Avenger.
This all sounds very similar to the plot of A View to a Kill, where a crazed nazi-adjacent bad guy with strong Musk-vibes attempts to set of a huge explosion in the San Andreas fault line to kill Silicon Valley and then make a mega profit.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I think someone mentioned it already but isn't that also basically Lex Luthor's plan in one of the Christopher Reeve Superman movies? Except it's about pumping 'new coastal' real estate or something.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Mister Speaker posted:

I think someone mentioned it already but isn't that also basically Lex Luthor's plan in one of the Christopher Reeve Superman movies? Except it's about pumping 'new coastal' real estate or something.

Yup, new West Coast with all new cities. No reason why anyone would want to move there though.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

In a world where Jeff Bezos exists, I'm not convinced we can argue that Lex's plan would be considered a bridge too far. And Lex has a better hair-cut, too.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I never noticed "Tesmacher Peaks" before. Heh.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueEl7A7KaHA

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
In 1957 the Soviets simply could not attack the continental US with atomic weapons. We could do it to them, they couldn't do it to us.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Clancychat: Immanentizing the Discussion

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Is a wider war involving Transnistria, Moldova and maybe Romania still "clanychat" or is that moving more toward reality?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

TipTow posted:

Is a wider war involving Transnistria, Moldova and maybe Romania still "clanychat" or is that moving more toward reality?

Only if they have nuclear weapons sufficient to launch a chunk of crust exactly in the shape of Moldova into orbit.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

DrSunshine posted:

Only if they have nuclear weapons sufficient to launch a chunk of crust exactly in the shape of Moldova into orbit.

Narrator: they do

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Breaking: Moldovia joins the ISS

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Does Moldova have any security agreements with the EU?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Comstar posted:

Does Moldova have any security agreements with the EU?

No, but they signed the same treaty Georgia and Ukraine (woops) did, and are being assessed for membership as of this year's fun war.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

PeterCat posted:

Yup, new West Coast with all new cities. No reason why anyone would want to move there though.

No reason? But it's beachfront property!

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Interesting, hope we don't have to find out the hard way.

https://twitter.com/TrentTelenko/status/1520180155351814144

https://twitter.com/TrentTelenko/status/1520180207805734913

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
So they're saying NATO could get away with the no-fly zone over Ukraine? :v:

fnox
May 19, 2013

It doesn’t matter if the majority of their arsenal doesn’t work, they’re well aware they really only need the threat of 1 nuke to make any direct confrontation impossibly risky.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Deptfordx posted:

No reason? But it's beachfront property!

But would it even be a beach at that point or just a bunch of really craggy rocks?

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

having this poo poo even remotely near the donut of acceptable discourse is absolutely disgusting

Lyesh fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 30, 2022

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Mister Speaker posted:

There have been a dozen "California breaks off into the ocean" movies, because Hollywood loves writing about itself. Most of those movies didn't need nukes to make it happen though.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Yeah but if they launch three nukes and only one of them works my first thought is going to be 'Was that the best they got? Do the actually have any left?'

If that tweet is half accurate and I was a hawk I'd be temped to do drop something on all the oligarchs holiday houses and open up a 'surrender and we'll let you live, dickheads' offer.

E: nuking your own country's coastline killing millions of people for the sake of a fygm property value hike is an aggressively mediocre and very on point for 2022 option.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 00:53 on May 1, 2022

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Outrail posted:

Yeah but if they launch three nukes and only one of them works my first thought is going to be 'Was that the best they got? Do the actually have any left?'

If that tweet is half accurate and I was a hawk I'd be temped to do drop something on all the oligarchs holiday houses and open up a 'surrender and we'll let you live, dickheads' offer.

E: nuking your own country's coastline killing millions of people for the sake of a fygm property value hike is an aggressively mediocre and very on point for 2022 option.

there are very serious people in uniform been saying this for a long time. many such cases!

like ok even if we buy the propagnada and Rus tries and fails to do it, and the US then retaliates as per the gospel...would that not be the best time for a Chinese or even Israeli series of strikes?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Sleekly posted:

there are very serious people in uniform been saying this for a long time. many such cases!

like ok even if we buy the propagnada and Rus tries and fails to do it, and the US then retaliates as per the gospel...would that not be the best time for a Chinese or even Israeli series of strikes?
I'm pretty sure doctrine is not to fire off all nukes at once, but to keep some in reserve to maintain deterrence/nuke any regrouping enemy. And much like the US navy has an air force outclassing those of other major countries, the submarine-born nukes outnumber the nukes of all other nuclear powers except for Russia combined.

Obviously this depends on Israel and China not believing they were under attack, but it's not in their interest to try poo poo if they wake up to Russia being a nuclear wasteland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonToadGoat
Jan 12, 2015

Lyesh posted:

having this poo poo even remotely near the donut of acceptable discourse is absolutely disgusting

Does that mean talking directly about an issue is off the table?