Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Lexicon posted:

Why is Victoria so much worse than say Vancouver? I get it’s expensive but so is the whole drat province at this point and at least Victoria has some other merits (weather etc).

An absolute shitload of people moved here recently, plus three (it may be four) clinics just shut down, combined with covid, combined with the population being a bit older

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Albino Squirrel posted:

It's kind of a pity because BC is part of my escape plan if Alberta becomes intolerable, but between real estate prices and overdemand it would be a painful move anywhere in the province.

Becomes?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Oh great, it looks like it’s time for another “Alberta is hell on earth” derail from people who don’t live here!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I'm making a joke

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Look, say what you will about Alberta

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I can't think of anything more topical than Edmonton - The Video Game.jpg (I'm afraid I don't have it handy so someone else will need to do the honours).

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Albino Squirrel posted:

if Alberta becomes intolerable...

If? :)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Alctel posted:

An absolute shitload of people moved here recently, plus three (it may be four) clinics just shut down, combined with covid, combined with the population being a bit older

Do you know any numbers on the arrivals? I was, ahem, one of them :3:

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.

I'd laugh, but I kinda already did and mine has Psychics, Dragons, Bandits cosplaying as pirates, Metalhead Minotaurs, Running Man in the Mall and Larry Gowan as Mayor.

Mine's way cooler. :agesilaus:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

More and more that is becoming less "lol Edmonton" and more "*sigh* Prairie life"

Xaranthius
Nov 27, 2002

Grimey Drawer

eXXon posted:

I can't think of anything more topical than Edmonton - The Video Game.jpg (I'm afraid I don't have it handy so someone else will need to do the honours).

I was not aware of the reference and this is what came to mind instead. Remember this gem?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVEt8gRHFt0

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
I'm aware this is a joke, but it got me thinking.

I've carved out a reasonable life for myself here - I live in one of the few walkable neighbourhoods in Edmonton, in a fairly centrist/liberal bubble. I have a job that provides me fulfillment and meaning and copious stress and grief and I can bike to work. And my mortgage is affordable. Yes, the weather sucks half the year, but that's why I travel in the fall and winter.

There's an emotional and social cost to uprooting your life, to say nothing of the financial difficulty of replicating your quality of life in a place with much more inflated real estate. My personal politics are to the left of all but a few areas in the middle of Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal... but at the moment it's not worth the cost, especially when I can work to pull Alberta in a better direction.

If the UCP wins another term and continues to gently caress with education and health care and social benefits for my clients, then maybe my calculus changes. But there are reasons that people don't immediately flee their lives for places that are marginally more in tune with their beliefs. (Emphasis on 'marginally' in the case of Van Island and the Okanagan, which are still affordable enough for me to consider there as a landing point).

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

That's entirely fair and a far better response than my glib joke deserved.

I hope your efforts are not in vain and if nothing else you're able to keep Edmonton as a place you want to live.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Of all the places on earth, Alberta is definitely one of them

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

That's basically the same boat as my wife and I. We have a relatively comfortable life currently in Edmonton with pretty good rent (~1200/mo for a 2 bed 2 bath apartment), and moving to the island comes as both a cost of living increase and a ~7k/yr salary decrease. That's not even considering uprooting and rebuilding our hobbies and social networks, as our parents and hobby groups both live here.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Mr. Mercury posted:

Of all the places on earth, Alberta is definitely one of them

It almost certainly exists, many people are saying so.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Devon is a place on earth.

And Red Deer is like a Vatican for fuckers.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Look don't make me defend Red Deer, Edmonton took enough out of me

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 10, 2022

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbXBFviWVBc

Weird BIAS fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 23, 2022

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

The donut mill isn't too bad I guess.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

Red deer is the drunk driving capital of Canada

The Edmonton river valley and surrounding neighborhoods are pretty nice. The city isn't that bad and you can be miserable anywhere (look at this thread).

The rest of Alberta.... Will be hard to save

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

berenzen posted:

The donut mill isn't too bad I guess.

Donut mill is OK I guess, but I wouldn’t go out of my way to stop there. I feel like the last few times I did stop the donuts weren’t great, too sweet for me. Better than Tim Hortons but what isn’t?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

I'm from Red Deer and I say, Devon has a better donut place. Also Donut Mill is legally not in Red Deer the city so Red Deer deserves none of the credit.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Devon isn't real, nobody actually lives there. It's Just a fake town they built so they could put a 70kph speed limit on the highway to set up speed traps in.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Weird BIAS posted:

I'm from Red Deer and I say, Devon has a better donut place. Also Donut Mill is legally not in Red Deer the city so Red Deer deserves none of the credit.

Frickin’ Delights? If so, they’re gone unfortunately. My vote for best donut is Bliss bakery on the 107 Ave and 142 street traffic circle. No hipster bullshit, just really good plain donuts.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Ooh! Are we sharing regional diss videos?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvHOLKy5iVI

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Fun times in Belleville again, still Belleville!!

Xaranthius
Nov 27, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Frank Dillinger posted:

Frickin’ Delights? If so, they’re gone unfortunately. My vote for best donut is Bliss bakery on the 107 Ave and 142 street traffic circle. No hipster bullshit, just really good plain donuts.

Is this donut chat now? If so I'd like to suggest this bakery in Sidney. I worked in Sidney at one point and we got donuts every Friday and they were amazing. I also have a friend who grew up partly in France and he said this bakery has the best croissants around these parts.

https://www.sidneybakery.ca/

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Sidney Bakery is legit.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
victoria has murchie's tea which i enjoy a lot although it looks like they have places in vancouver now too

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEvQOPUHGH8

This one came up in the suggestions so I watched it cause I always do, turns out he died last year of a drug overdose on the streets of edmonton. depressing little circle

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Fun fact: every year the family docs in 'berta have a conference. It's pretty much always at the Rimrock in Banff. One year they decided to make it easier for the people in Northern Alberta and had it somewhere in Red Deer - it's halfway! It's convenient! Nobody went and they haven't had it anywhere but Banff since.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Sep 10, 2022

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Why couldn't they have gone to Jasper? It's a far drive for everyone and you're still in the mountains

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

Xaranthius posted:

Is this donut chat now? If so I'd like to suggest this bakery in Sidney. I worked in Sidney at one point and we got donuts every Friday and they were amazing. I also have a friend who grew up partly in France and he said this bakery has the best croissants around these parts.

https://www.sidneybakery.ca/

I don't think I can justify going all the way out to Sidney just for donuts, but I'll have to leave early next time I'm on the ferry. Empire Donuts isn't bad at all if you're in town, the Cook St. location also has a very good breakfast sandwich. Does Sidney Bakery have sugar twists? Nobody else I know of on the island has them anymore.

If you're ever in Prince Rupert, there's a bakery on Third called Baker Boy (624-CAKE). Yeah, it's Prince Rupert, you don't have a lot of options, but when I lived there briefly they were my favourite non-fish-and-chips place in town.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Postess with the Mostest posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEvQOPUHGH8

This one came up in the suggestions so I watched it cause I always do, turns out he died last year of a drug overdose on the streets of edmonton. depressing little circle

drat, that hits hard :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Powershift posted:

Devon isn't real, nobody actually lives there. It's Just a fake town they built so they could put a 70kph speed limit on the highway to set up speed traps in.

:hmmyes: