Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Massive spoiler:
The IRS employee award is in the poster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Steve Yun posted:

Massive spoiler:
The IRS employee award is in the poster

Also Raccatouille is in there too.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I want that poster.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Finally gunna go see this on Saturday, pretty stoked.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Some of the quirkier aspects of this didn't land for me, but I still really enjoyed this movie.

Felt like what I imagine seeing The Matrix in 1999 was like.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

I really enjoy that they have to do something uncomfortable to branch into another universe, like anytime you commit to a new experience it's awkward and uncomfortable but it might pay off... And it's implied that OG Evelyn was unique because she was so apathetic about life, and never pushed outside of where her life just wandered. I'm glad this movie was so loving weird, but also terribly honest about life.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

killer crane posted:

I really enjoy that they have to do something uncomfortable to branch into another universe, like anytime you commit to a new experience it's awkward and uncomfortable but it might pay off... And it's implied that OG Evelyn was unique because she was so apathetic about life, and never pushed outside of where her life just wandered. I'm glad this movie was so loving weird, but also terribly honest about life.

Oh yeah I think I realized Evelyn stabbing Waymond is actually one of those triggers.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Gave this a listen and was pretty good. However I felt the generational differences when they said, “ Well fam, this movie gives off posi vibes without the cringe.” But of course this movie teaches me empathy instead of yelling at kids.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The kids are wrong

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

you shouldn't be mean to kids, you should simply own a pitbull and let god sort it out

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Batman Begins approach.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
This movie did show how ineffective tiny dogs are.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Saw it with my friends who have two Pomeranians and really enjoyed the melodramatic gasping during that scene.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I wonder how A24 normally makes money. This one is passing 20 million and getting close to its initial cost, ignoring marketing and all that. But a lot of their films make much less.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

checkplease posted:

I wonder how A24 normally makes money. This one is passing 20 million and getting close to its initial cost, ignoring marketing and all that. But a lot of their films make much less.

I imagine they get a good amount of money from streaming deals and blu-ray sales.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
A lot of their films are very very cheap, so you don't need that many movies like Moonlight which take in $65 million to fund movies that only cost $2-$10 million.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Gotta be easier to make money on DVD/Streaming when you ain't lighting hundreds of millions on fire for every release too.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
They just close their eyes and smile while realizing that money is a meaningless and fake idea.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Tight control of budget ($25m) and making michel Gondry style home-made special effects into an aesthetic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFFopPPrGiE

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Steve Yun posted:

Tight control of budget ($25m) and making michel Gondry style home-made special effects into an aesthetic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFFopPPrGiE

Holy poo poo! I'm blown away that five people did all the visual effects.

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!
I like the reading emphasizing the bagel as a quintessentially American food, but also think it's kind of an rear end in a top hat? Like the "butt plug" is introduced as a symbol of achievement, but its form (and the auditor's attitude) undercuts our ability to be impressed by the successes it represents -- so we're kind of cast into the perspective of Joy, who has "stopped valuing achievement" insofar as she has no hopes for her personal prospects for success (though her nihilism is sort of indistinguishable from self-loathing for most of the movie). So Joy has turned away from success (the butt plug) and towards the rear end in a top hat ("we're all poo poo").

The plug-and-bagel also kinda scan as an analized lingam-yoni pairing, so there might be some creation-destruction in there alongside the success-abjection motifs.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Bagels aren't quintessentially American.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
There’s what the New York bagel and the Montreal bagel. America has a strong claim to bagels now after all these years.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Counterpoint: yes they are, but also, who cares

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

mmmmalo posted:

I like the reading emphasizing the bagel as a quintessentially American food, but also think it's kind of an rear end in a top hat? Like the "butt plug" is introduced as a symbol of achievement, but its form (and the auditor's attitude) undercuts our ability to be impressed by the successes it represents -- so we're kind of cast into the perspective of Joy, who has "stopped valuing achievement" insofar as she has no hopes for her personal prospects for success (though her nihilism is sort of indistinguishable from self-loathing for most of the movie). So Joy has turned away from success (the butt plug) and towards the rear end in a top hat ("we're all poo poo").

The plug-and-bagel also kinda scan as an analized lingam-yoni pairing, so there might be some creation-destruction in there alongside the success-abjection motifs.

I dunno about it being American

Butttt

When Joy introduces the bagel to Evelyn, she makes her do the hand joke that’s supposed to be a butthole

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!

Gaius Marius posted:

Bagels aren't quintessentially American.

Okay maybe not "American" per se but I think Bust Rodd connecting bagels as a Western thing to Joy's diminishing Chinese language skills has some teeth to it, when Gong-Gong, who raised the complaint ends up having the firmest stance against the "chaos" of the everything bagel

Edit: Western bagel also kind of meshes with the bagel-as-rear end in a top hat since Evelyn marks the decision to follow Raymond to America as the point where her life went to poo poo

mmmmalo fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 24, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Having an interpretation based on Joy losing touch with their culture that's based on you stripping the Bagel of it's own cultural connection and origin is ironic and leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!
Irony granted, but even with the bagel originating in Jewish communities in Poland (or maybe a little further southeast? One article brought up the east Mediterranean as a possible site) I think Evelyn's fear that her Joy (her daughter AND her personal happiness) has been stolen by a chaos demon resonates with hints that Evelyn regards the decay in her life as a symptom of coming to America -- I'd even wager the cycling washing machines are more bagels, in that regard.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
They should have made it truly American having it be a black pizza

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
The modern bagel came from migrating polish Jewish bakers to New York. The label and common style was popularized in New York. It’s at least a nice symbol of the success of immigration in America

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Steve Yun posted:

They should have made it truly American having it be a black pizza

But that exists in Asia? https://twitter.com/katetrue27/status/1315863461419577345?t=dgazSiO5gm_eb9J8LPfY1A&s=19

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I’m not so sure the bagel works as a symbol of western culture or immigrant success because Evelyn has to turn Joy away from the bagel at the end and embrace the fact that her daughter is westernized and gay. Evelyn turning Joy away from the nihilism of the bagel seems to be at odds with the bagel being a symbol of western culture.

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!
That's fair... the America reading works as long as you focalize Evelyn and her fears, but it falls apart for Joy. Abjection means something else to her.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
For a movie with some really beautiful readings on immigrant experiences in America/ the west it’s really weird to do the bagel is america reading imo

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I read the bagel thing as a nihilistic "who cares what I call this thing because it's meaningless, so I'll just make it a dumb joke" kinda thing

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

I’m not so sure the bagel works as a symbol of western culture or immigrant success because Evelyn has to turn Joy away from the bagel at the end and embrace the fact that her daughter is westernized and gay. Evelyn turning Joy away from the nihilism of the bagel seems to be at odds with the bagel being a symbol of western culture.

Yes thanks I was about to make this post. It represents despair/hopelessness/nothingness, it's something she has to be saved from to save her life, not from Evelyn's perspective but from the movie's perspective. That would be a real loving weird message for this movie and also just not in line with what actually happens.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
A symbol or theme doesn't have to perfectly valid from every interpretive angle to be valid from some angles.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Maybe bagels are just good and we can understand how evil a bad one is.

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!

Organza Quiz posted:

Yes thanks I was about to make this post. It represents despair/hopelessness/nothingness, it's something she has to be saved from to save her life, not from Evelyn's perspective but from the movie's perspective. That would be a real loving weird message for this movie and also just not in line with what actually happens.

I'm just pointing out that Evelyn seems to blame her own despair/abjection not only on her husband, but on the place they moved together, America. You also kind of see her attitude in the differences between the parallel worlds: she exults in the sleek kung fu action stardom of Hong Kong and is repulsed by the lesbian hotdog finger life in the States. But as the movie goes on, she's able to cool her idealization of her potential lives overseas (eg the pinky kung fu introducing some overt silliness) and recognize the dignity within her goofy nightmare vision of America (eg feet piano).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

a perfect film