Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Joey Freshwater posted:

I thought about getting one in case a package got stolen off my porch but the police would 100% not give a gently caress anyway so I haven’t.

Yeah, that seems about right especially for the cops around here. Apparently having a methhead threaten me and try to steal my phone is a "civil matter" even though I got the whole thing on video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

What's supposed to fall under the purview of the police, huh? Illicit drug use? Threatening with a weapon? Intent to maim? Theft? How about you take care of somethin' yourself for once instead!

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I have recordings from multiple instances of people walking around my house at night, holding knives, banging on the windows and yelling racial slurs, and the response from the police was "we don't get involved in those situations" and acting like they thought I staged it all.

But it sometimes gets pics of cool birds.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Iron Crowned posted:

My roommate is on disability, and does not work, yet when she's awake in the morning, she cannot stay out of my way for the ~45 minutes between my shower and leaving for work. You have all day (and night) to put the dishes away, why must you do them while I'm trying to make my coffee?

Maybe she's lonely.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

I mean I said the same thing 20 years ago, too.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
A goon who shall not be named, just called hemp clothing "wearables" and I hate it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Holy Trinity:
Edibles
Smokeables
Wearables

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
climbables?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

learnincurve posted:

A goon who shall not be named, just called hemp clothing "wearables" and I hate it.

Unbearables

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Brawnfire posted:

Unbearables

hangables?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Fingerprint sensors are great when they work, but so often I end up trying, trying, trying and then having to put a PIN in anyway that it feels like it's just not worth the bother.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I use an iPad to record data in the field at work, I like to turn the screen off between entering data to conserve battery since it needs to last as long as a 14 hour shift with maybe a quick charge at lunch, and it annoys me to carry a power bank in the pocket of my high vis vest.

The locked down ipads used to allow you to set them to only require the passcode after the screen was off for 5 minutes. Then corporate IT, in their infinite wisdom, changed it to a maximum of 1 minute. Recently, it was changed to require the passcode every time the screen is turned off. Any appeals to change this are met with the typical helpfulness of tier one helpdesk workers who's hands are totally tied, and I don't have any pull with folks higher up the chain so I'm hosed.

I set a fingerprint lock on it, but the reliability is so spotty through the case and dust and other crap that it's just faster to key in the code than try my fingertip three times.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Articles about celebrities that were in a movie and are willing to be in a sequel to that movie.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Sinks that are too shallow to properly wash your hands in so you keep touching the basin because there isn’t enough clearance under the faucet. Why is this a thing?I know I’ve complained about this before but it keeps happening :mad:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
how big are your hands dude

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Not bigger than my face. I’m not falling for that again.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Why can I only buy 20 oz bottles of pop as a single? I want a six pack of 20 oz pops, don't give me this 500ml bullshit

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A pet peeve I didn't have until now.

When people same something like:

"sameeeeeeee" or "niceeeeeeeeeeee" they actually mean "saaaaaaaaaaame" or "niiiiiiiiiiiice"

I've been seeing lately people elongating the ultimate vowel in diphthongs* but I wasn't sure what it meant. Maybe it's not new; it's new to me. I'm always a loving year behind.

*by "lately people..." I mean: my friends on Facebook I guess

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

credburn posted:

A pet peeve I didn't have until now.

When people same something like:

"sameeeeeeee" or "niceeeeeeeeeeee" they actually mean "saaaaaaaaaaame" or "niiiiiiiiiiiice"

I've been seeing lately people elongating the ultimate vowel in diphthongs* but I wasn't sure what it meant. Maybe it's not new; it's new to me. I'm always a loving year behind.

*by "lately people..." I mean: my friends on Facebook I guess

Way more than a year in this case. You are right that it's very annoying though.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My wife's "time estimates"

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

credburn posted:

I've been seeing lately people
"I've been seeing people lately" you half-assed pedant

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

On-topic: a night or two ago I dreamed and ran into an old friend. Couldn't remember his name in the dream and still can't outside of it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

FFT posted:

On-topic: a night or two ago I dreamed and ran into an old friend. Couldn't remember his name in the dream and still can't outside of it.

This happened to me once and then I finally remembered I'd never met them, they were an internet friend from ICQ days and I'd given them a form to interact with.

I remembered this in the dream and was immediately on a computer after I did.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

nah this is a real person, we've got shared history, I'd just consider it a moral failing to look him up instead of getting the memory back on line

Alex, got it

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

FFT posted:

"I've been seeing people lately" you half-assed pedant

"I've been seeing, lately, people..." :smuggo:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Brawnfire posted:

My wife's "time estimates"

Both me and my wife are the kind of people where "meet at 4" means "show up at 3:30" and I feel this is the key to our relationship. Good lord I cannot stand people who are always late. This was the worst part of life when I lived in Toulouse. You said 7, not me! Why did you take till 8:30?? You said meet at 7! Mediterranean fuckers. It's not cute. It's rude. Harumph.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Literally everything about this intersection.

It looks like a nightmare, but the map doesn't even do it justice. However bad you think it is trying to get from anywhere on this intersection to anywhere else, it's worse. Because the map doesn't show the traffic lights, which are guaranteed to stop you because they do not synchronise in any direction and frequently stop all traffic in certain stretches (all directions, including trams and pedestrians) for no clear reason. And that, of course, also means that pedestrians don't wait for the lights to cross, which obviously doesn't help.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

*chanting* KILDA JUNCTION KILDA JUNCTION KILDA JUNCTION

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

*chanting* KILDA JUNCTION KILDA JUNCTION KILDA JUNCTION
I only heard this song in the voice of Elmer Fudd in "What's Opera, Doc?"

And frankly, it's a fine suggestion.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
In Slack (or any messaging service really)

co-worker: Hey Joey
cw: can you help me
cw: with something
cw: its very ugent
cw: also
cw: i may need to set up some time
cw: let me know when youre available
cw: thanks!

gently caress YOU JUST SEND IT ALL IN ONE MESSAGE GOD DAMMIT

I 100% know when this one specific person messages me because I hear the Slack notification noise like 5-10 times rapid fire and it drives me loving nuts.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Just turn off the sounds :shrug:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Gosh I hadn’t thought of that!

I need the sounds on because I’ve already got the notifications off and I need something to push me to go look or I won’t or I’ll forget. It’s also literally this one person that does it and I’m not turning sounds off on everything because of how they message. Otherwise it’s just fine.

And yes I’ve spoken with them about it but they continue to do it. They do it in texts too.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I think I have someone who is moonlighting at Joey's work

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I've just had to explain to a sweet old relative that he can't have his television outside of his house without unlimited, because it's cheaper than going for 100gb, but that if he gave that up then he could cut his bill to about £11 and he said "but then I'd lose me WhatsApp for me shooting (clays) group" I said he wouldn't and then he sadly explained that a fellow old guy keeps sharing inappropriate dirty videos with the group which auto download and fill up his phone and they can't kick him because he books the events.

So at least it's not that

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
really fuckin sick of amazon delivery trucks parking outside my apartment and leaving the truck beeping for the entire time they're there. and they're there sometimes for like an hour because my apartment complex is fuckin huge. beep beep beep beep beep it feels like it will never end beep beep beep beep beep please turn off the beeps before you make your rounds, delivery person beep beep beep beep beep aargh

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Joey Freshwater posted:

In Slack (or any messaging service really)

co-worker: Hey Joey
cw: can you help me
cw: with something
cw: its very ugent
cw: also
cw: i may need to set up some time
cw: let me know when youre available
cw: thanks!

gently caress YOU JUST SEND IT ALL IN ONE MESSAGE GOD DAMMIT

I 100% know when this one specific person messages me because I hear the Slack notification noise like 5-10 times rapid fire and it drives me loving nuts.

JF:H
JF:e
JF:y
JF:I
JF:a
JF:m
JF:b
JF:u
JF:s
JF:y
JF:I
JF:w
JF:i
JF:l
JF:l

And so on. See if they can take a hint.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I have someone who will email me something, and then about 2 seconds later will call me to tell me that he emailed me something.

Like Dude, I haven't even had a chance to read it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

When people write "illusive" when they mean "elusive"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Brawnfire posted:

When people write "illusive" when they mean "elusive"

Do people use the word "illusive" enough to confuse the two? I didn't even know that was a word; I've only ever used illusory, which I guess means the same thing-ish.