Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

entitled much?

edit: snipe. here's some content i posted in the economics thread a while back:

more on the fun of the Denver housing market. this likely applies elsewhere/everywhere:

How much do renters, buyers need to make to afford living in the metro area?

the article posted:

The Article posted:
Monthly payments on both condos and single-family homes doubled since 2015. They went from $1,234 to almost $2,470 for a condo or townhome, and from $1,999 to $4,003 a month for a single-family home.

The amount of yearly pretax income needed to pay those amounts and not be cost-burdened has also doubled.

A one-bedroom apartment in 2015 required $54,690 a year. A condo or townhome would require roughly the same at $55,545. That condo in 2022 would require $111,180 a year.

A single-family homebuyer needed an annual income of $89,955 in 2015. Now they need $180,135 a year.

what’s the point of even working anymore. just…why?

19 o'clock has issued a correction as of 23:07 on Apr 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Lol

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

house expensive

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

19 o'clock posted:

there's joy to be had in a job well done

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

bi crimes posted:

there's joy to be had in a job well done

hell yeah

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

19 o'clock posted:

because not working results in starvation or severe deprivation? because working is the only way to access the health care system? because you dont have a choice (theres a word for this)?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Ammanas posted:

because working is the only way to access the health care system?

actually not working gives you better healthcare in the United States of America it’s called Medicaid and works exactly like insurance except you don’t pay anything because you’re poor and the United States of America uses it’s ability to collectively bargain on behalf of all people on Medicaid to set the price for services and drugs

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B8HAsgFtg2U

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003
This town has around 5000 year-round residents and over 300 VRBO listings on AirBNB ALONE. All the available housing stock is tied up in vacation rentals and if you want a house you need to buy land and have one built.

Locals were discussing what to do about no available housing for seasonal workers and they were brainstorming turning an old condemned school building the city owns into a Victorian workhouse, or allowing people to set up a hooverville. There is no bed tax here and sales tax is only applicable for the first $500 of a transaction (the most you will ever pay in sales tax at once is $39.25). Nobody will move an inch on freeing up housing or paying more in taxes, but will complain incessantly on facebook about nobody wanting to work at their restaurants or bring them their treats.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

House experience: we bought a house way out in the exurbs. Within a month, all that poo poo became unaffordable. Hail Allah.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Man Musk posted:

House experience: we bought a house way out in the exurbs. Within a month, all that poo poo became unaffordable. Hail Allah.

good for you :) I am happy that you secured a nice home for you and your loved one.

I’d personally be more accepting of moving out into the burbs if I already had a significant other. But I don’t. so if I want to date seriously I need to be somewhere denser and with young people.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Ornery and Hornery posted:

good for you :) I am happy that you secured a nice home for you and your loved one.

I’d personally be more accepting of moving out into the burbs if I already had a significant other. But I don’t. so if I want to date seriously I need to be somewhere denser and with young people.

Sad to say this is true! Shacking up with a partner is not only romantic, it reduces your financial burden in the ballpark of 50% we met in grad school

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I was going to save up for a house, but I think I'm just going to buy the Audi e-tron GT instead.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

re-invested my house savings into a sweet gaming computer. now i'm broke and desperate. #rebel #gaming #foic

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

i am harry posted:

actually not working gives you better healthcare in the United States of America it’s called Medicaid and works exactly like insurance except you don’t pay anything because you’re poor and the United States of America uses it’s ability to collectively bargain on behalf of all people on Medicaid to set the price for services and drugs

my wife was on medicaid years ago and she literally could not find a single doctor that'd take it to sign up with so anytime she needed care she went to an ER

maybe its better now with ACA but back then it was functionally useless

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Should I buy a house in Detroit? I'm starting to feel like a $95K house is the new $500 house

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
honestly been considering the multigenerational household option since no matter how hard we save housing is permanently out of reach

the government up here is even providing some dumb tax credit to support this move lol

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Dreylad posted:

honestly been considering the multigenerational household option since no matter how hard we save housing is permanently out of reach

the government up here is even providing some dumb tax credit to support this move lol

A sibling convinced my parents to build an ADU for them and now everyone is living happily together

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

he is risen posted:

buy less food

finally doing something real to combat the obesity epidemic

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

My parents own a home free and clear, but its in a state I hate so I'm never moving back, and they hate my brother who lives in a lovely apartment 30 minutes away from them so he's never going to live there either. Most likely it'll go to my deadbeat brother's kid who my parents are basically raising, who will be in his 20s around the time my parents shuffle off this mortal coil. So congrats nephew, you'll inherent a free house in the prime of your life, and all it took was your dad completely backing out of your life!

I'm not inheriting a drat thing though

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Dreylad posted:

lol at govt bringing the atomic household into existence then having to speak out of both sides of their mouth to try and compromise with reality

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Ammanas posted:

my wife was on medicaid years ago and she literally could not find a single doctor that'd take it to sign up with so anytime she needed care she went to an ER

maybe its better now with ACA but back then it was functionally useless

that was by design to punish the poor. there’s literally very little help for you if you live in a state that salivates at punishing the poor*, but there are some noticeable differences in big metros, and bluer states - you can get healthcare professionals to give you care. here in Colorado there’s an entire network of hospitals that specifically takes Medicaid (Good Samaritans).

here’s what we’ve got for being poor:

-two* children via cesarian birth, multiple days in the hospital both times
-home health nurse visits for the first six months*
-doctor visits for the kids*
-dental that has covered thousands for them*
-$450 food stamps a month that roll over*
-visits to the doctor and follow up visits to physical therapy twice a week for six months
-exploratory foot surgery to remove microscopic shards of glass
-endometriosis surgery

$0

literally the best financial choice you can make in america if you live with a partner and have children is to divorce, move together to a blue state, have the lower earning parent claim all kids as head of household, and immediately get universal healthcare.

*all of these with the first child in Louisiana.

i am harry has issued a correction as of 07:49 on Apr 24, 2022

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I just read a reddit post by an ex realtor who lost his $100k job and then paid all his bills with credit cards and now owes $30k across four of them and now has less than zero dollars at the end of every month before even buying food.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/uab76k/im_drowning_i_need_some_advice_critique_anything/

lmao why the gently caress would you play by the rules and pay your bills when you could have just…not, for the majority of the last two years.

we live in an unjust country and gain nothing by treating america justly.

i am harry has issued a correction as of 07:54 on Apr 24, 2022

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Nix Panicus posted:

My parents own a home free and clear, but its in a state I hate so I'm never moving back, and they hate my brother who lives in a lovely apartment 30 minutes away from them so he's never going to live there either. Most likely it'll go to my deadbeat brother's kid who my parents are basically raising, who will be in his 20s around the time my parents shuffle off this mortal coil. So congrats nephew, you'll inherent a free house in the prime of your life, and all it took was your dad completely backing out of your life!

I'm not inheriting a drat thing though

My parents are beginning the long (5-10 years) process of fixing up and selling the house I grew up in, and I'm morbidly curious to see how much it goes for. They'll have been in it 40+ years by the time they sell it. I don't even think it needs any work outside of routine maintenance but they're talking about redoing multiple rooms which is crazy to me.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

C-Euro posted:

My parents are beginning the long (5-10 years) process of fixing up and selling the house I grew up in, and I'm morbidly curious to see how much it goes for. They'll have been in it 40+ years by the time they sell it. I don't even think it needs any work outside of routine maintenance but they're talking about redoing multiple rooms which is crazy to me.

new kitchen & bathrooms is common to attain maximum value. 5-10 years is insane though, even 5-10 months would be too long honestly.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

new kitchen & bathrooms is common to attain maximum value. 5-10 years is insane though, even 5-10 months would be too long honestly.

I mean they're not raring up to sell, it's just acknowledging that in a few years they're going to be too old for a house like that to really make sense for them. They probably could/should sell it sooner than that but :shrug:

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

I refinanced in Feb and ended up with a 3.6% 20 year fixed, the rate for that in my area is now 6.8%. Almost double in 3 months. Rent has also gone up by half in a lot of the places around here. poo poo is about to fall apart.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Food $200
Data $150
Candles $800
Rent $3,600
Utility $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

we just got a house and locked in a mortgage at a little over 4% and holy poo poo am I glad we got it when we did because it's affordable for us but other houses in the area are just skyrocketing right now

this is just outside providence, ri if that makes a difference, but some of the houses around here that are going for $500k are a loving joke, this market is headed for disaster lol

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I'm still dealing with the identity shock of being a lifelong marxist that graduated into the 2008 recession and that lived like I was totally broke for a decade regardless of how much I was making, to having the fortune to be able to buy a townhouse in early 2020 at 2.7% and watching the value skyrocket 25%

am... am I lib now???

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

I'm still dealing with the identity shock of being a lifelong marxist that graduated into the 2008 recession and that lived like I was totally broke for a decade regardless of how much I was making, to having the fortune to be able to buy a townhouse in early 2020 at 2.7% and watching the value skyrocket 25%

am... am I lib now???

your material conditions have changed, pray you do not change with them

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

it's not like being a renter makes you a leftist

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

am... am I lib now???

Same but with a condo.

Bought for $252 in 2020 and it's already up to $298.

IDK. I feel fortunate. But the fact that I'm benefiting in a system that rear end-fucks so many people makes me feel like poo poo.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

why don’t we talk about what can actually be done with home equity because I’d like to know; house value increasing 50k since purchase doesn’t mean poo poo if all the other houses are doing the same. it’s not like any of us will sell and be able to move into a more expensive house for less money.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

i am harry posted:

why don’t we talk about what can actually be done with home equity because I’d like to know; house value increasing 50k since purchase doesn’t mean poo poo if all the other houses are doing the same. it’s not like any of us will sell and be able to move into a more expensive house for less money.

cash out refi, piggy bank heloc, collateral for more properties

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 16:11 on Apr 24, 2022

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

i am harry posted:

my childhood middle class lifestyle was funded entirely by home equity loans

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

my childhood middle class lifestyle was funded entirely by home equity loans

If you were a kid in the 90s/early 00s and you remember the “rich” kids whose parents had like Volvos or Mercedes’ and they rented beach houses a lot and went to Disney every year

That’s the magic of home equity lines of credit and loans babay

And it all just…inflated away!!!

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

i am harry posted:

lol exactly, my place could triple in value but what am I gonna do, sell it and move in another place that tripled in value or rent from somewhere that had a 300% price increase

But also I believe the actual value of my townhouse should be like half of what I paid for it

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

am... am I lib now???

I mean this is exactly the position I'm in, timing and all, but I always assert that I should eventually sell this place for less than I bought it for, it's used.

The one reason I wish I had a standalone home vs a townhouse, though I think having my own yard would be a waste, don't need the space and it would be less energy efficient is because with townhomes come stricter HOAs for controlling the outside of the house, and mine just threw a tantrum about people's stick-up security cams, so I doubt the solar discussion will ever be worth having

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

text editor posted:

lol exactly, my place could triple in value but what am I gonna do, sell it and move in another place that tripled in value or rent from somewhere that had a 300% price increase

But also I believe the actual value of my townhouse should be like half of what I paid for it

Yeah, but you've got equity. You can take out loans against that to buy other stuff.

What other stuff? Who knows? What do people even buy in these doomed final days?