Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

That era (is it still going?) of "ironic" remakes was pure COVID juice. Just make a zero effort reskin of a shovelware platformer into Bubsy and you have instant bait for streamers to play and guffaw over. No bueno.

Nobody's paying for the Bubsy remake because everyone beats it in under two hours and gets a Steam refund.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Guy ranks 39 Kirby games

He is correct about star allies being bad but very wrong b/c kirby pinball should be #1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2aXb1xgbLQ&t=102s

overall the list is bad

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Dpulex posted:

But really etrian odyssey 6 wen?

I had a dream they released Etrian Odyssey on Switch and it worked perfectly and then I woke up and forgot how it worked.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Dpulex posted:

Guy ranks 39 Kirby games

He is correct about star allies being bad but very wrong b/c kirby pinball should be #1.

overall the list is bad

What about Kirby block ball

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

John Wick of Dogs posted:

What about Kirby block ball

He says it's better than kirby pinball so he has brainworms.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
How far up the top ten is Tilt ‘n’ Tumble?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I was watching a video about potential transfer pack integration into NSO, and as someone that missed out on that... it got me thinking of all the other stuff we missed out on that I'd love to see included one day. Like how hard would it be to include stuff like Mario Artist or F-Zero Expansion Kit from the N64DD? Or like that Satellaview Zelda game.

I am still a bit pissed that they never released a Virtual Boy collection on 3DS.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Triangle Strategy is way bigger than I thought. If anyone likes SRPGs, especially FF:T buy this game.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Triangle Strategy has the feeling of some niche PS1 RPG that a ton of people rave about 20 years later, except its brand new somehow. It owns

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I was thinking of playing 2 dlc since it’s on Nintendo online but also I never played the non dlc single player mode lol

The base campaign is alright, but it mostly serves as a tutorial and starting playground for the multiplayer, like 1's campaign did.

Octo Expansion is very differently structured from the base campaign. Several more levels with different objectives in each, though overall each level is typically much shorter than a base campaign level.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Dpulex posted:

Guy ranks 39 Kirby games

overall the list is bad

Rainbow Curse being much higher than Canvas Curse is wholly correct, in my opinion. This AntDude person has good taste. :hai:

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Picked up a puzzle game called Ink Cipher. The idea is, you have 26 letters in the alphabet. In each puzzle, one letter is assigned to a number, 1-26, and it's your job to figure them all out. Does A = 7? Or 19? Or 23? What about B, C, D, etc?

There is a crossword style pattern for each puzzle, showing you some clues. For example, here is the first puzzle:

So the game provided the numbers for H (1), E (9), A (11), and S (26), and filled them in to the crossword. Now we have to figure out the rest of the letters.

So looking at the puzzle, uh, hmmm...I see a potential spot to determine letters:

We have two words, both with three letters, both ending in EA, and with different starting letters. How many words do I know with those conditions? Uh...uhhh...ummmm...poo poo...uhhhh...SEA, TEA, PEA come to mind. We can rule out SEA because the S is already assigned to number 26. So the remaining two words might be TEA and PEA. That's our only lead right now; let's investigate. So I move the cursor over to the T letter in the center right, and drag it over to the 3 position. Now all 3s on the board will fill in with the letter T

Hmm. Well, I don't know what a "STA" is, so that probably won't work. So I guess that word can't be TEA. The other option is PEA, I guess we should try that.

Well this looks a little better, PEA works and SPA is a real word. So I guess we'll leave the P assigned to the number 3 and complete the other word as TEA:

This looks pretty good, I think. Looking around, the ATTA** word is probably ATTACK, right? I mean, probably. Let's try it.

This shows promise! Let's keep going.

After a few more letters, we get to this point:

Let's keep going...

Finally, we finish the puzzle:

Halleluiah! This was the first puzzle and the only one I've solved thus far. Let's check the next one.

...christ...

It's an odd game. You have to build some momentum, obviously. I think it would benefit from some kind of hint system to help get you started, otherwise you're kind of fumbling around blindly. (we defeated the first puzzle so easily because I had already solved it, after like 15 minutes of false starts). I don't really have a good strategy developed for it, aside from just trying some words and seeing what works. I'm not sure how to go about correcting mistakes you find late in a puzzle, it feels like a house of cards where you could truck along through 3/4 of the puzzle only to find your remaining letters don't work, and no idea where to start.

The game is lacking some quality of life. There's no touch function, which I think is too bad. Using a stylus would streamline it a lot. Instead, you have to select the letter you want, then drag it to the number you want to try. Whoops, wrong one, it won't work. Now you have to pick the letter back up and drag it back to its original spot. Kind of tedious...but it was only $1.99 :shrug:

I think I like this game but I'm going to have to be in the right frame of mind to play it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Picked up a puzzle game called Ink Cipher.
So it looks like the crossword aspect is just for presentation, right? The whole thing boils down to a list of words and you're having to solve a substitution cipher.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Yeah more or less, though I'd say the crossword arrangement is a good way to help visualize the common letters between words

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
They're called codewords. https://dkmgames.com/CodeWords/codewords_phone.htm for example is a phone based version.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I hate swimming in Banjo Kazooie so much

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I hate swimming in Banjo Kazooie so much

So sell some of the cartridges and find a new thing to collect?

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I noticed the Octo Expansion was added to Splatoon 2 for NSO+ subscribers. I fell off of Splatoon 2, but I like the single player campaigns. Might have to check it out

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Picked up a puzzle game called Ink Cipher.

Awesome write-up! I remember doing a few of these puzzles in my puzzle books, but having all the letters fill at once seems like such a nice QOL thing that I may pick it up.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Spellman posted:

I noticed the Octo Expansion was added to Splatoon 2 for NSO+ subscribers. I fell off of Splatoon 2, but I like the single player campaigns. Might have to check it out

You really should. Best solo content in the game.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Yeah, Octo Expansion is worth full price. As a freebie with online, bonus.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Xenoblade 3 is rated for some cleavage and nudity. This places it along with Nintendo's own favorite nude dude Ridley
Shout out to Nintendo nudes!
Kirby!
Yoshi!
Ditch the saddle and shoes yer almost there!
Mr Game & Watch
Duck Hunt
Internet's patient zero: Star Fox Adventures!

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Upsidads posted:

Xenoblade 3 is rated for some cleavage and nudity. This places it along with Nintendo's own favorite nude dude Ridley
Kirby!
Yoshi!
Mr Game & Watch
Duck Hunt

:chloe:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Upsidads posted:

Kirby!
Yoshi!
Mr Game & Watch
Duck Hunt

The Navgtr review

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I forgot half the dk crew

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Is DK naked or is a tie enough

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

We better google up nude Star Fox Adventures to be sure.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

We better google up nude Star Fox Adventures to be sure.

That ship sailed 2002 -FOREVER

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Despite having Breath of the Wild to play for the first time I keep either spending time in Kirby or multiple hours a day playing Picross

Send help, or other puzzle games that are switch exclusive

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Upsidads posted:

Kirby!
Yoshi!
Mr Game & Watch
Duck Hunt

kirby and yoshi wear shoes

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I, Butthole posted:

Despite having Breath of the Wild to play for the first time I keep either spending time in Kirby or multiple hours a day playing Picross

Smart move, once you start BOTW, you’ll never want to play anything else. Make sure to get the full DLC for it if you haven’t already.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I played botw for 10 hours and then sold it

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
The SNES vs Genesis Shadowrun talk from a few pages ago made me realize that SNES Shadowrun was developed by Beam Software, the same team that made Nightshade on NES, Hunt for Red October on NES, Smash TV on NES & SNES, True Lies on SNES and Genesis...

It turns out a bunch of my favourite obtuse B-tier games are all related, and that's awesome!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I really, really wanna play some Kirby. I shouldn't pay $60 for Kirby when I have so many unplayed games. But I really wanna play some Kirby

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

buy the game

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

I, Butthole posted:

While not Switch exclusive (I think it was also on PSP and Vita) Lumines is a good puzzle game

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

yeah buy the kirby game

it's as charming as anything I've seen in ages
the art design is lovely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I bought the Kirby.