Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

knuthgrush posted:

I do kettlebells (simple & sinister) on off days and thought running would help for me. Turns out it didn't do much for me and neither did riding my bike. HIIT stuff helped a lot more, I think because bjj cardio is up and down instead of constant. I like darebee.com when I can't think of HIIT stuff to do. Guess it could also be done as a running or cycling activity.

Also, positional sparring sounds kind of annoying to me. I don't doubt its effectiveness but after seeing several gyms doing it, I'm glad my gym just does free rolling after drills. JUST LET ME BANG, BRO.

the big prob with unstructured rolling is that there's never any repetition or reinforcement. We always do the first 2 or 3 rounds with some constraint like "start from side, reset with the same person on the bottom if the person on the bottom gets on top or if there's a sub."

I see the difference that it makes in development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Yeah not knocking the usefulness of it. Lots of times people will settle into positional stuff or maybe even flow roll. I'm just usually ready to simply roll open ended after doing a bunch of back to back drilling.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Anyone been working williams/shoulder pin guard? It honestly seems like body lock passing is all the rage lately and I've been having some good success.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

CommonShore posted:

the big prob with unstructured rolling is that there's never any repetition or reinforcement. We always do the first 2 or 3 rounds with some constraint like "start from side, reset with the same person on the bottom if the person on the bottom gets on top or if there's a sub."

I see the difference that it makes in development.

Yeah, it's wild to me that a lot of places don't do positional sparring. I think most people's training time should be something like 25% static drilling, 50% positional sparring, and 25% free rolling. I'm also becoming a big fan of positional sparring with even more specific constraints, like "top person has to try to pass using XYZ, bottom person isn't allowed to get grips, only frames".

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

flashman posted:

Anyone been working williams/shoulder pin guard? It honestly seems like body lock passing is all the rage lately and I've been having some good success.

I think there are a lot of subpositions of closed guard that fill this niche. As you break somebody’s posture, you shuffle out to the side and secure your position of choice. There’s williams guard and rubber guard, there’s the clamp, there’s the one where you have the head and far-arm and you bring your shin in, there’s overhook control etc. You just kinda pick your favourite and they all serve the same purpose, I think. Williams and rubber are better for omoplatas, clamp/far arm/overhook are better for triangles.

I’m not sure which one I prefer. Been thinking about it a lot lately. I think that ‘near-arm on head, far-arm on the inside of their bicep, bring your shin inside’ is the easiest one to get to. It takes more steps, more little battles to get to something like williams guard.

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC

Nestharken posted:

Yeah, it's wild to me that a lot of places don't do positional sparring. I think most people's training time should be something like 25% static drilling, 50% positional sparring, and 25% free rolling. I'm also becoming a big fan of positional sparring with even more specific constraints, like "top person has to try to pass using XYZ, bottom person isn't allowed to get grips, only frames".

So I'm doing a lot of motor learning/skill acquisition/perceptual-motor performance work for grad school, and this conversation reminded me of a few cool papers on Deliberate Practice Theory. To steal from an (awesome) textbook, Skill Acquisition in Sport Research Theory and Practice:

"Deliberate practice theory details how the activity improves performance and leads to the attainment of expertise. Ericsson has detailed the theory in multiple publications (1996, 1998, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2013; Ericsson et al., 1993; Erics- son & Pool, 2016; Ericsson & Towne, 2010). The two main parts of deliberate practice theory are the monotonic benefits assumption and the characteristics of deliberate practice. First, the monotonic benefits assumption is that time accumulated in deliberate practice is not only positively related to performance and attainment, but is also monotonically related in that the two variables increase simultaneously. Therefore, individuals seeking to improve performance or attainment should seek to maximise time spent in deliberate practice. Second, the characteristics of deliberate practice are that it is highly relevant to improving key weaknesses in current performance, it is effortful, and it is relatively low in inherent enjoyment. These characteristics are related to three constraints said to be inherent in the long-term engagement in deliberate practice (Ericsson et al., 1993). The resource constraint holds that support from significant others, such as coaches, teachers and family, is required in order to engage in deliberate practice activities, as are facilities, time, and materials. The effort constraint holds that deliberate practice is an effortful activity and, as such, bouts can only be sustained for limited time periods before rest and recovery is required prior to reengaging. The motivational constraint holds that engaging in deliberate practice is not inherently enjoyable, but that performers are motivated to engage in it because it improves their performance (Ericsson et al., 1993)."

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
Finally got my brown belt the other day. Took a lot longer than expected because I got a hair up my rear end to compete in a bunch of IBJJF tournaments, then dealt with some injuries that took me out of rolling for awhile so my coach decided to wait until I got better. Jokes on her I haven't really gotten better lol so she finally decided to just give me the belt.

I think at this point I'm just glad to have it so I don't feel pressured to try and "prove" I'm a brown belt and can let my injuries actually heal. Plus I'm closer to my goal of getting my black belt before I'm 40. Anyways thanks for listening to my Ted talk.

Oh yeah funny story about getting the belt. I thought for sure she was going to give it to me back in December. But I had a feeling she wasn't going to buy me the right belt size (cus everyone thinks I'm smaller than I actually am). So I bought the right size brown belt and threw it in my training bag, just in case. So I have this belt in my bag for like 5 months, and the day comes where I get promoted. So she's tying the belt on me and of course it's too small. So I'm like "hold up" and run to my bag, pull out the right size brown belt and throw it to her. Now I just gotta lose some fuckin weight lol

Jerome Louis fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 22, 2022

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Congrats! That's a big accomplishment.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Congratulations!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
That's awesome, congratulations!

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

:mummyface:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Yes, it doesn't count unless you show us the mummy

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Congrats mate, brown belt gets big respect

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

Count Roland posted:

Yes, it doesn't count unless you show us the mummy

Ok! Here's with both of the belts

]

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
Congrats! Always fun to see the mummy!

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Jerome Louis posted:

Finally got my brown belt the other day. Took a lot longer than expected because I got a hair up my rear end to compete in a bunch of IBJJF tournaments, then dealt with some injuries that took me out of rolling for awhile so my coach decided to wait until I got better. Jokes on her I haven't really gotten better lol so she finally decided to just give me the belt.

I think at this point I'm just glad to have it so I don't feel pressured to try and "prove" I'm a brown belt and can let my injuries actually heal. Plus I'm closer to my goal of getting my black belt before I'm 40. Anyways thanks for listening to my Ted talk.

Oh yeah funny story about getting the belt. I thought for sure she was going to give it to me back in December. But I had a feeling she wasn't going to buy me the right belt size (cus everyone thinks I'm smaller than I actually am). So I bought the right size brown belt and threw it in my training bag, just in case. So I have this belt in my bag for like 5 months, and the day comes where I get promoted. So she's tying the belt on me and of course it's too small. So I'm like "hold up" and run to my bag, pull out the right size brown belt and throw it to her. Now I just gotta lose some fuckin weight lol

hmm I feel like I heard this story elsewhere last night...

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Congrats on a cool rear end belt!!!

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Congrats!

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Jerome Louis posted:

]

Hey there it is! Congrats man, that's a big achievement

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Jerome Louis posted:

]

Outstanding. Congrats!

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Congrats!

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Grace Baiting posted:

Congrats on a cool rear end belt!!!

As a 39 year old white belt, this image puts the fear in me.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
A while back someone posted a doc with back exercises. Cross crawls, side planks etc.

Anyone know what I'm talking about and can repost? I saved a copy but lost it :\

Congrats on the brown btw!

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Jerome Louis posted:

]

Congrats!

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Jerome Louis posted:

]

Congrats! And good planning on the correctly-sized spare, that's a great story.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
https://www.mallorcabjjyogafest.com/

Has anyone been to this / hear any reviews? It seems like a really good event and my wife is big into yoga. Sounds almost too good to be true.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Xguard86 posted:

A while back someone posted a doc with back exercises. Cross crawls, side planks etc.

Anyone know what I'm talking about and can repost? I saved a copy but lost it :\

Congrats on the brown btw!

The back pain/rehab exercises?

https://www.ahs.uwaterloo.ca/~mcgill/fitnessleadersguide.pdf

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
That's the one! Thank you!

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Been having a lot of success lately engaging like this when seated vs standing:

Wrist deep, false grip. You can pull yourself in close to get shin-to-shin and then switch arms once you're close.
This stops them giving up an underhook and getting knee-cut while you close distance from shin-to-shin.
OR you can just get behind the leg and turn it into a single.
------
OR if they straighten their leg to try and back away, you can do the spin-under RDLR backtake
OR you can use it to throw yourself under into backside 50-50 like in the Ryan Hall/BJ Penn fight.

I've just been doing the shin-to-shin entry and the single leg, but Craig Jones has those other two options on his 'power bottom' dvd and I will take a crack at them once my training partners start working out counters.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Is anyone here familiar with Danaher/Ryan's mount attack system?

I watched Ryan vs Couch and was suprised when Couch tapped from pressure. I found the below two videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kft2AkvKhWU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FbGenSia08

Following the advice in these has made my mount probably twice as effective as before (as a purple belt). I want more, but there isn't much about it online. And I do want this specific system-- almost all the skills and techniques they discuss I already knew; it was the order of operations that really clicked with me. I've got questions mostly on how the system fits together rather than nitty gritty technical details. Shall I post my questions?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I have Danaher’s ‘4x4 mount’ DVD - fire away. I’ve only engaged with it a little bit, but I can look up sections that interest you. The bits that I’ve played with have been really good.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Great! I have several, answer what you feel like.

1) How does one get double underhooks? Getting the single underhook and linking with the crossface is clear, as is bringing uke's elbow up over his head. I can get the second arm by chance but have no system for it.

2) S-mount. Is this entered from single underhook, double, or some other method?

3) From technical mount + giftwrap. Gordon mentioned "back head and arm" and "side head and arm". What are these?

4) How does the mounted triangle fit into this system?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

These will be messy descriptions and probably hard to follow, I've tried to pack as much detail in as I can:

Count Roland posted:

1) How does one get double underhooks? Getting the single underhook and linking with the crossface is clear, as is bringing uke's elbow up over his head. I can get the second arm by chance but have no system for it.

Get double underhooks as you're passing half-guard. It's hard to get them in side control because you're perpendicular, but easier to get them top-half while you're still lined up. Pass to side control and mount from there.

Specific gameplan: You're in top half-guard, have a crossface and an underhook. Passing to the left. Your crossfacing arm (left) posts on the side of his head and you replace it with your head - (as if you're setting up an arm triangle, but you don't have the near-side arm). As the opponent is trying to elbow escape or whatever, make your hand flat and slide it down between his arm and his rib cage. Slide your hand up under his arm (walk your body away from him circularly as you do this to make it easier to walk your arm up) . S-grip under his head , he calls this position 'high lock'. Crossface pressure, tripod up a bit, whatever you need to come to that inside-shins mount position (butterfly mount/vegan mount/v-mount etc. He calls it "inside mount") and then slide your knees out and down to the left, so that you're in side control. From side control, switch your head to the opposite side. You're now in side control with your head on the far side, double underhooks, and your hands s-gripped under his head, then slide your shin over to mount.

So I guess the specific trigger to go for double-unders is when you're going for an arm triangle and they get their arm back inside.

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Apr 27, 2022

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Count Roland posted:

2) S-mount. Is this entered from single underhook, double, or some other method?

Double chest wrap. He doesn't believe you should go for armbars unless their elbows are up above the line of the shoulders.

Start with the single chest wrap, aim for an arm triangle, upgrade to a double chest wrap if you can't shrug his arm across to the other side. Slide your legs up, s-mount.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Count Roland posted:

3) From technical mount + giftwrap. Gordon mentioned "back head and arm" and "side head and arm". What are these?

4) How does the mounted triangle fit into this system?

The 'mounted head and arm' is his intermediary position between mounting and getting a mounted triangle. It looks like this:

He got here by pinning a hand and sliding his shin over it, then turning the corner like you would as you s-mount. It might have come about because he was in the single chest wrap and saw an opportunity to slide his shin up over the untrapped arm.

I can't find any mention of the "side head and arm" or the "back head and arm" but you can guess what it is from this picture - maybe it's the same position tipped onto a different angle, or maybe the person on top has a similar pinch but they're facing a different direction?

So it looks like the order of operations is something like:

Single chest wrap, try to finish an arm triangle.
*slide a shin over the untrapped arm, go to mounted head an arm, proceed to triangle
*can't get arm across, go to the double arm wrap, slide higher, s-mount, proceed to armbar

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

These will be messy descriptions and probably hard to follow, I've tried to pack as much detail in as I can:

Get double underhooks as you're passing half-guard. It's hard to get them in side control because you're perpendicular, but easier to get them top-half while you're still lined up. Pass to side control and mount from there.

Specific gameplan: You're in top half-guard, have a crossface and an underhook. Passing to the left. Your crossfacing arm (left) posts on the side of his head and you replace it with your head - (as if you're setting up an arm triangle, but you don't have the near-side arm). As the opponent is trying to elbow escape or whatever, make your hand flat and slide it down between his arm and his rib cage. Slide your hand up under his arm (walk your body away from him circularly as you do this to make it easier to walk your arm up) . S-grip under his head , he calls this position 'high lock'. Crossface pressure, tripod up a bit, whatever you need to come to that inside-shins mount position (butterfly mount/vegan mount/v-mount etc. He calls it "inside mount") and then slide your knees out and down to the left, so that you're in side control. From side control, switch your head to the opposite side. You're now in side control with your head on the far side, double underhooks, and your hands s-gripped under his head, then slide your shin over to mount.

So I guess the specific trigger to go for double-unders is when you're going for an arm triangle and they get their arm back inside.

I really appreciate the detailed replies.

I'm not totally clear on this one, I'll describe what I think is going on.

I start in in standard half guard w/ crossface and underhook, like so:

Keeping the underhook, I put my head next to uke's head, kinda like a knee cut:

From there I use my non-underhooking arm to underhook on the same side as my head. This will be my 2nd underhook.

From here I'm less certain. I think I force uke's elbows above his head (both elbows?). Once they're above uke's head I S-grip my hands, I assume to keep his elbows in that position.

I don't understand the V-mount -> side control. If I have V-mount, why not go directly to mount?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Double chest wrap. He doesn't believe you should go for armbars unless their elbows are up above the line of the shoulders.

Start with the single chest wrap, aim for an arm triangle, upgrade to a double chest wrap if you can't shrug his arm across to the other side. Slide your legs up, s-mount.

Is this a single chest wrap?

Because if yes this makes total sense to me.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Count Roland posted:

I really appreciate the detailed replies.

I'm not totally clear on this one, I'll describe what I think is going on.

I start in in standard half guard w/ crossface and underhook, like so:

Keeping the underhook, I put my head next to uke's head, kinda like a knee cut:

From there I use my non-underhooking arm to underhook on the same side as my head. This will be my 2nd underhook.

From here I'm less certain. I think I force uke's elbows above his head (both elbows?). Once they're above uke's head I S-grip my hands, I assume to keep his elbows in that position.

I don't understand the V-mount -> side control. If I have V-mount, why not go directly to mount?

You’ve interpreted me correctly on every point. I’m not sure why he doesn’t go straight to mount, he must be shutting down an opportunity to escape. Or maybe killing momentum.

It’s only a tiny extra step, in any case? V-mount, touch your knees to the floor on the left, slide forward, shin across, mount.

With regards to getting the elbows above his head, you’ve already got one. See how it’s under in your second picture? Just chilling flat underneath, but keeping it higher than the shoulder line. Do the little hand spider-walk thing with the other (left hand) once it’s under. Now you’ve got two hands flat on the ground, high enough to keep the arms above the shoulders. Get those hands together into an S-grip - you’ll probably have to ‘walk them together’ using your body, walking around, instead of just reaching.

“Count Roland" posted:

Is this a single chest wrap?

Because if yes this makes total sense to me.

Yep!

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Apr 27, 2022

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Well thanks for taking the time to put all that together, this really helps me a lot. Especially since I already pass halfguard like that so this fits very neatly into my existing game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Hey guys, I’ve done a few BJJ classes so far and now it’s all I want to do.

Anyway, is having a sore-ish throat from getting choked out normal? My throat is still a little sore a day after getting stuck in some nasty headlocks