Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

About two thirds through best served cold, not really feeling it as much. Like BananaNutkins I like at least a little magic happening, so it's definitely partly that, but do all his books continue the very gritty, nothing good ever happens line?

Is best served cold just kind of a low point in the series? I was digging it at the start, but almost in tune with Monza's growing distaste for her own revenge the book has gotten less interesting, like yup, she did that, and is still working on it.

BSC was my least favorite book of the series by far, but I know it's a lot of other peoples' favorite. There's a grimdark streak to the whole series but BSC really marinates in misery. I liked the next two more.

Edit: specifically I just didn't feel that (general BSC spoilers) how sadistic Shivers' point of view becomes in the back half of the book was justified by his "betrayal" and disfigurement. He really goes off the deep end, to the point where I had trouble caring about his character after a certain point. The bitterness of the fates of the characters in the original trilogy was one of my favorite parts because I felt like the characters all more or less earned their fates (I even wanted a worse end for Glokta. He gets off easy.) I think part of the reason BSC didn't work for me in the same way is the shorter story length means everything just happens quicker.

Randallteal fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Good to know, I'll keep on him for another book or two then. I liked Logan and want to see where he comes back up again. Also BSC spoilers Yeah, Shivers going angry sadist after being the "good" man and kindof a knockoff Logan berserker is a letdown. Like Logan minus any trying to be better. For the original trilogy Glokta getting out so well was really amusing to me, other than Bayaz. Also gently caress Bayaz.

Further books question, are there more Glokta esque life is torment I'm physically broken characters past BSC? Only going off Glokta and BSC, it feels like it might be a thing for him. Also original trilogy spoilers Is there more of main character killing they're friends through the series? It surprised me and was narratively disturbing when Logan killed his friends and Bayaz killed/sealed away Yulwei, which like, good writing, I liked those characters, that really sticks in the mind, but if it's something that happens regularly throughout the series it's not shocking, just boringly grim.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

Also original trilogy spoilers Is there more of main character killing they're friends through the series? It surprised me and was narratively disturbing when Logan killed his friends and Bayaz killed/sealed away Yulwei, which like, good writing, I liked those characters, that really sticks in the mind, but if it's something that happens regularly throughout the series it's not shocking, just boringly grim.

Occasionally, but not so often that it comes predictable or cliche

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

FWIW, a lot of people think The Heroes (the next standalone book) is the best he's ever written, so it's definitely worth powering through and going one book further. Or, you know, if you're really not feeling BSC, just putting it down and skipping ahead. There are some references later on to the events of BSC and it does change the status quo a little bit but it's nothing you can't figure out through context (or googling a plot synopsis).

I do like BSC if only because it lets my boy Cosca have an arc, I liked him in it a lot. I did not like him in Red Country one bit however

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Shivers is awesome, you just have to give him some time.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Ainsley McTree posted:

FWIW, a lot of people think The Heroes (the next standalone book) is the best he's ever written, so it's definitely worth powering through and going one book further. Or, you know, if you're really not feeling BSC, just putting it down and skipping ahead. There are some references later on to the events of BSC and it does change the status quo a little bit but it's nothing you can't figure out through context (or googling a plot synopsis).

I do like BSC if only because it lets my boy Cosca have an arc, I liked him in it a lot. I did not like him in Red Country one bit however

Heroes is awesome, also yeah Cosca is probably the highlight in BSC.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Nice, good to know. Cosca is a highlight of BSC for sure.

Hmm now I'm curious if Shivers comes back later, but I'll hold off on knowing until I finish BSC, he probably won't get double double crossed by Monza but can't be too sure.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
dont skip Sharp Ends, its my favorite

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Sharp Ends: ”Changed my mind.”

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Morveer is the highlight of BSC.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Relevant Tangent posted:

Morveer is the highlight of BSC.

:hai:

A tragic character if there ever was one!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

i don't know if it's possible to both like a character and be glad he's dead but abercrombie pulled that off with morveer for me

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Ainsley McTree posted:

i don't know if it's possible to both like a character and be glad he's dead but abercrombie pulled that off with morveer for me

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The whole king of poisons scam is the funniest scene in the entire series imo, Morveer is an all time great

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

What book was Friendly in. Because he’s the best character of that book.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

RCarr posted:

What book was Friendly in. Because he’s the best character of that book.

Best served cold

When he tried going back to prison lol

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Was he confirmed the dice dude in the new trilogy at cardotis house of leisure?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Harton posted:

Best served cold

When he tried going back to prison lol

the Saejima of first law

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Apologize to my loving dice!

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Seems Joe has just announced his next trilogy

https://twitter.com/gollancz/status/1509550946581422086?t=tOT1L_OeBN1gH_FJGxX4EA&s=09

Magic heist hijinks, but in real Europe! Could be fun

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

quote:

In a magic-riddled Europe under constant threat of elf invasion, the 10-year-old Pope occasionally needs services that cannot be performed by the righteous. And so, sealed deep beneath the catacombs, cathedrals and relic stalls of the Sacred City lies the secret Chapel of the Holy Expediency. For its highly disposable congregation – including a self-serving magician, a self-satisfied vampire, an oversexed werewolf, and a knight cursed with immortality – there is no mission that cannot be turned into a calamitous bloodbath.”

What CKIII mod is this?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

quote:

“In a magic-riddled Europe under constant threat of elf invasion, the 10-year-old Pope occasionally needs services that cannot be performed by the righteous. And so, sealed deep beneath the catacombs, cathedrals and relic stalls of the Sacred City lies the secret Chapel of the Holy Expediency. For its highly disposable congregation – including a self-serving magician, a self-satisfied vampire, an oversexed werewolf, and a knight cursed with immortality – there is no mission that cannot be turned into a calamitous bloodbath.”

I want to go to there

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I guess that sounds like it could be fun? Joes gonna keep doing different trilogies until one of them gets turned into a tv show.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I just finished the First Law trilogy and absolutely enjoyed it. Very interested in continuing through the rest of his books but I get the impression Best Served Cold is kind of a low point. I'm just going to be blunt, will I be chasing the dragon from here on out?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Social Animal posted:

I just finished the First Law trilogy and absolutely enjoyed it. Very interested in continuing through the rest of his books but I get the impression Best Served Cold is kind of a low point. I'm just going to be blunt, will I be chasing the dragon from here on out?

The Heroes, the next book, is generally considered to be one of his best, so take heart! Opinions seem more mixed about the latest trilogy but I liked it overall.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Social Animal posted:

no, and dont skip Sharp Ends

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Social Animal posted:

BSC isn't bad, and the next two are very good.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The standalone books are all takes on various genres.

Best Served Cold is about a former mercenary gathering a band of rogues to take revenge on a former employer. The Heroes is a war story. Red Country is a western. They’re all good

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I love me some BSC. Morveer is the coolest.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I like Red Country on the whole--I think he did my favorite character dirty, but when you decide to have a favorite character in an abercrombie book, these are the risks you take, and i'm at peace with that

i still wish cosca never came back after BSC though, I liked his arc in that and didn't care for him having a heel turn offscreen and becoming a villain again

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
I think the discussion came up earlier in the thread regarding Red Country, but personally I really liked the way Cosca was utilized in the story. With the possible exception of the last 1-2 pages he appears on, he’s the exact same person we had seen in previous books. What changes is perspective — this story is written by people who are victimized by his merry band of amoral mercenaries, rather than the fellow mercs or the people who hire them.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Magitek posted:

I think the discussion came up earlier in the thread regarding Red Country, but personally I really liked the way Cosca was utilized in the story. With the possible exception of the last 1-2 pages he appears on, he’s the exact same person we had seen in previous books. What changes is perspective — this story is written by people who are victimized by his merry band of amoral mercenaries, rather than the fellow mercs or the people who hire them.

I hadn't thought of it that way, maybe i'll give it another look if I read the book again; I do agree that his treatment in red country is much more consistent with how he comports himself in the original trilogy, I just thought he had a kind of redemptive arc in BSC that would have been nice for him to go out on instead of getting back on his bullshit but hey, that's grimdark for you. One thing I can't remember; is he drinking again in Red Country? Him beating the habit was one thing I liked in BSC and I feel like they undid that for Red Country (which to be fair is not an unrealistic portrayal of an addict, but still), but now that I'm writing it out I can't remember if that actually happened

e: tried googling it and couldn't find the answer but I did appreciate this reddit user's description of him: "He's a lovable-rogue, and he is at least as much rogue as he is lovable"

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 24, 2022

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Cool thanks guys I'll grab BSC. The trilogy books were just so perfect for reading before bed. A little dangerous though when that "just one more chapter" hits when you really need to turn the light off and sleep.

scary ghost dog posted:

no, and dont skip Sharp Ends

I didn't even see this one, looks cool. Should I get on this after the standalone stories or does it not matter? I like catching references.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Social Animal posted:

Cool thanks guys I'll grab BSC. The trilogy books were just so perfect for reading before bed. A little dangerous though when that "just one more chapter" hits when you really need to turn the light off and sleep.

I didn't even see this one, looks cool. Should I get on this after the standalone stories or does it not matter? I like catching references.

I can't remember how much of the standalone novels tie into it, but it was published (according to google) 4 years after Red Country, so I'd probably read the novels first just to be safe

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

I hadn't thought of it that way, maybe i'll give it another look if I read the book again; I do agree that his treatment in red country is much more consistent with how he comports himself in the original trilogy, I just thought he had a kind of redemptive arc in BSC that would have been nice for him to go out on instead of getting back on his bullshit but hey, that's grimdark for you. One thing I can't remember; is he drinking again in Red Country? Him beating the habit was one thing I liked in BSC and I feel like they undid that for Red Country (which to be fair is not an unrealistic portrayal of an addict, but still), but now that I'm writing it out I can't remember if that actually happened

e: tried googling it and couldn't find the answer but I did appreciate this reddit user's description of him: "He's a lovable-rogue, and he is at least as much rogue as he is lovable"

“Sometimes men change for the better. Sometimes men change for the worse. And often, very often, given time and opportunity . . .’ He waved his flask around for a moment, then shrugged. ‘They change back.”

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Social Animal posted:

BSC is one of my all-time favorites, but I'm a sucker for the type of story being told in it.

The Heroes is fantastic. Red Country is very good. Sharp Ends is great. New trilogy is...just okay.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Magitek posted:

Yeah, it's this. The other books are with the Cosca cannon aimed away from you. In Red County the main cast have it pointed right at them and it's a whole different feeling.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I guess at the end of the day, if you're hoping for a happy ending for a character in this series and are unpleasantly surprised, then that's on you really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I reread the first two books in the most current trilogy in the lead up to the third but I don’t think I’ll reread the third ever. I mean I blitzed through it so it’s not like it wasn’t engagingly written, but there were just aspects that didn’t work for me. I think Joe is taking the right approach by taking a break from The First Law world now.