Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Oasx posted:

So far I don't understand the point of the plotline featuring that girl with the bad haircut.

Yeah I'm kinda tuning that whole part out at this point, just give me more spartans murking aliens. I've been taking an edible before watching each episode, and while my judgement may be impaired, I truly feel like I'm watching a pretty corny show, but hey I'm still watching after 4 episodes so maybe they have me hooked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yeah it would be nice if they would tie her story into the main story or give us a reason to care sooner than later because I don't give a poo poo about some girl who thinks she can magically defeat the USNC with hopes and dreams.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

im not sure its possible to look cooler when smoking a ciggy than Shô Kasamatsu in tokyo vice

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I've always found the way Asians smoke cigarettes hilarious. They do this weird wrist/finger thing that makes it look like they've never done it before.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Oasx posted:

I will once again recommend The Night Of for more John Turturro goodness.

Man, the first two episodes of that show were amazing. Shame the show went in a direction that was totally different to what people wanted

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Looten Plunder posted:

Man, the first two episodes of that show were amazing. Shame the show went in a direction that was totally different to what people wanted

i remember enjoying the whole thing pretty much. i suppose the direction you mean is that he might have actually been a murderer after all? because i thought his prison experience of hardening despite (as far as we know) being innocent, and the struggle to keep his appearance of innocence up, was good. i don't remember the show that well, though. it was the first big john turturro vehicle i'd seen, i remember liking him, and riz ahmed, but overall that it was y'know, b or b+ sort of quality.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Nah, The Night Of absolutely lost a mass of brain cells as it went along and the plot and script got more ridiculous and stupid. The final episode is a masterclass in the dumbest way to end a miniseries, its kinda magnificant.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I agree that it fell apart, but man that first episode was magnificent. The utter stress and tension of him sitting a few feet away from the door KNOWING that he's just a search away from them discovering the murder weapon and weighing up running against the slim chance they just let him go because they haven't figured out the connection between him and the murder yet was incredible.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The eczema subplot was bewildering

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I've bounced off of three shows recently.

I'm not getting into the direction Russian Dolls is going after 2 eps. Moon Knight has bored me to exaggerated tears. And For All Mankind just isn't my thing. I can see why people like it. It's REALLY well done, but after watching the first episode and waiting for the pull, I just scanned the season trailers and went "maybe not my thing".

Basically, I need more Severances in my life.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

An Ounce of Gold posted:

I'm not getting into the direction Russian Dolls is going after 2 eps. Moon Knight has bored me to exaggerated tears. And For All Mankind just isn't my thing. I can see why people like it. It's REALLY well done, but after watching the first episode and waiting for the pull, I just scanned the season trailers and went "maybe not my thing".

Your tastes sound eerily similar to mine... Check out From, if you haven't already.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I am curious to know how you guys think The Night Of fell apart, I thought it was pretty consistently great, but I also found the Turturro part to be best part of the series by far, and on my latest re-watch I skipped all the prison stuff.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

An Ounce of Gold posted:

They really hosed up the second episode of Russian doll. There had to have been a better way to do that, but it immediately gets better.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah the itchy stuff was very odd. Not even Quentin Tarrantino could get off to that.

https://twitter.com/Danzilla93_GNP/status/1506625874489233409?s=20&t=Ibw1sZLtPQ33Z4fmyFdSVw

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

THOUSANDS OF YEARS AGO....

https://youtu.be/i8kD3iOVaSs

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

An Ounce of Gold posted:

For All Mankind gets good in episode 3. The first two kind of suck but they bring in new characters and it gets interesting.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

For All Mankind gets good in episode 3. The first two kind of suck but they bring in new characters and it gets interesting.

Yeah and once it gets going it gets so so good.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Out of all of those of recommend giving for all man kind another shot

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Yeah, the "give it 3 episodes" rule applies to FAM

Parts of S2 were slow but it's still so drat good.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Shageletic posted:

Nah, The Night Of absolutely lost a mass of brain cells as it went along and the plot and script got more ridiculous and stupid. The final episode is a masterclass in the dumbest way to end a miniseries, its kinda magnificant.

Did it top The Killing?

That has always been the go to for a show that came out on fire and perfect that then dove deep into garbage territory including a requisite mid 2010s "this brown person is suspicious OR ARE THEY"?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I'm rewatching FAM and after ep two, it really ramps up the pace.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

I’ve finally managed to tear myself away from my compulsive rewatching of our flag means death to watch Russian Doll and like it so far. Natasha Lyonne is great but now that loving song is stuck in my head

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I finished Russian Doll S2 tonight, and it was pretty nuts. No idea if they are going to go for a third season or not. Seems like there could be room for it, but it also tied up a bunch of loose ends and could just end there. I guess I'll never know because I'm cancelling Netflix after I watch Ozark on the 29th.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

the van of misery is really detracting from my enjoyment of slow horses

False
Oct 6, 2003
i have friends who will pull magazine models wearing headphones off of trains without even speaking the same language as them. Friends who will show up in a town after hitchhiking cross country for 3 days without showering and pull two girls working

Qmass posted:

the van of misery is really detracting from my enjoyment of slow horses

How is Slow Horses? I'm torn between being a sucker for a gritty UK spy show vs. the first episode having the most insulting premise I can think of for a series premier. Does it get better or is the show pretty untethered from reality?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Oasx posted:

I am curious to know how you guys think The Night Of fell apart, I thought it was pretty consistently great, but I also found the Turturro part to be best part of the series by far, and on my latest re-watch I skipped all the prison stuff.

Well the prison stuff was where the ostensible main character was so it being terrible and cliche clearly put a hamper on things.

But if you'd don't retroactively lol at the crux of the show being his defense attorney banging him in his cell, and it somehow leading to his release I don't know what to tell you

Some absolute amazing storytelling choices in there. That's all I remember really and close shots of incredibly disgusting toes

E: looked at the wiki and wow I'm way off. Eh what can you do

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Apr 24, 2022

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

pentyne posted:

Did it top The Killing?

That has always been the go to for a show that came out on fire and perfect that then dove deep into garbage territory including a requisite mid 2010s "this brown person is suspicious OR ARE THEY"?

I peaced out after the first episode but following reactions of the show on the larger net and here was a loving delight. The escalating disappointment and then howling rise in derision was perfect.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Shageletic posted:

I peaced out after the first episode but following reactions of the show on the larger net and here was a loving delight. The escalating disappointment and then howling rise in derision was perfect.

I've said it before but season 3 of The Killing is a legit great stand-alone crime drama, and it is a pity that everyone was turned off by the first two season. It was fascinating to see the SA thread turn from a mock thread into genuine admiration. Here are some goon reactions:

Alan Smithee posted:

So I checked the AVclub and it's all A's what the hell The Killing? Did Veena Sud get the wheel taken from her what's going on ?

qbert posted:

This season is by far the best of the three and quite standalone. It does feel like a completely different writing staff at times. I've been impressed with some of the story/character choices made this season.

Exploder posted:

I just checked Wikipedia, and it looks like it's pretty much the same writing crew, including Veena Sud. It's night and day between the Rosie Larsen debacle and this. Like I said earlier, I think the writing staff learned their lessons from the first two seasons, which is very rare in television. I can't think of another show that transformed from quite literally the worst thing on television into must-watch television within a year. Just forget the first two seasons happened, check it out, and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I just hope they don't screw up the final two episodes.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Oh wow, that was incredible. I had to stop watching for a while and then come back. I don't think I've been that uncomfortable with television since the ending to the first season of Homeland.

Listerine posted:

Yeah if you ever needed to look to a piece of fiction to convince people the death penalty is a mistake, this would be it. Sarsgaard was exceptional.

Number19 posted:

This season has redeemed the show in my opinion. It's no longer "watch to see how bad it is". It's really good and bordering on great.

If you gave up on this show, watch this season. It's better in every possible way. This last episode was incredible.

Past Tense Ragu posted:

That was one of the best episodes of television ever made, in my opinion. Some show called Bar Rescue is stickied but this wasn't?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Oasx posted:

I dunno, it sounds like you found it to be inconsistently great!

I liked it overall, but I really hated where the prison stuff went. It just felt like it escalated so quickly, out of nowhere to the lawyer making out with the guy and smuggling drugs to him in her vagina, it just felt ugly for the sake of it. Though I did like how the resolution to the case was a total anticlimax and didn’t satisfy anyone, just hosed up a bunch of lives to no higher purpose.

Turturro was a highlight, his feet were not.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
From's been quietly renewed for a second season.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Doing a rewatch of Fringe and gently caress season 4 goes off the rails seemingly every six episodes. Like they had teams of writers that didn't concerse with each other and kept rotating them. Plot lines appear and drop and appear and drop. I know they were in danger of cancellation but it makes it painful to get through.

But don't take my word for it. Take... my same post on it from literally a decade ago that I looked up to see if my attitude had changed.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3435580&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=119#post405922709

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I absolutely agree.

Fringe will always have a special place I'm Mt favorite shows of all time and it's 100% down to that talented cast.

Spoilers!

after stepping into the machine, the universe forgets Peter. while he does eventually reenter reality, no one remembers him. this lasts for the remainder of the series with small exceptions but in the finale, Walter pulls him aside and tells him he has regained all his memories and they reconcile and hug.

It's one of my favorite scenes of any media.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
This rewatch came about via a different rewatch, The X-Files, which has half aged terribly and half has aged wonderfully.

Funnily the parts that have aged terribly are the exact opposite of Fringe's - The X-Files myth arc episodes are universally poor and terrible whereas their monster of the week stuff is still amazing. This has to do with the myth arc being tied directly into 90s conspiracy theory thinking and anti-government ethos.

As the decades have gone on the X-Files depiction of the shadowy government hiding secrets for no reason, and conspiracy theorists being harmless stoners and innocents truth seekers, has been thoroughly debunked in every possible way and instead it comes across not only as a relic but an insulting one. The direct questions of "why are they doing this" could be answered because Big Government then, but now its just "who loving knows".

Meanwhile all the episodes which are just supernatural poo poo based on fringe experiments and random poo poo, like pyrokinesis for no reason, are loving great. They don't get hung up on cover ups or the big question and avoid so much melodrama.

And it's funny because The X-Files started the obsession with myth arcs that decades of TV since has followed - from Fringe to Lost to Orphan Black to Supernatural. And yet it could be jettisoned from the X-Files and the show would now be better for it.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

I miss the FX X-Files Viewer's Choice Thanksgiving Day Marathon more than anything else on TV, honestly. Just the absolute joy at seeing a curated list of awesome episodes, of course always capped off by the unquestionable best episode Bad Blood.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Clyde Bruckman. Maybe Jose Chung.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
None of which involve the myth arc of course.

Even Lost's best episode, The Constant, is myth arc through and through.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Starting Russian Doll Season 2, am I the only one who half expected in the first episode for her to say "Oh boy" when she looked in the mirror?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The politics of the X-Files are weird because it is from that pax americana neoliberal dreamworld where politics seemed like a settled question. There is no alternative to capitalist liberalism, and so even if the government is doing bad stuff, it’s just a bad way to go about the only task government can ever have at the end of history: to use market incentives to ensure the optimal flow of capital. Mulder is the enemy of the government but can imagine no alternative to going to work every day and buying more poo poo, paying his rent, catching the game, etc. I’m pretty sure the smoking man gets in his face a few times about how the conspiracy is doing all that evil poo poo to preserve the American way of life, a line that confuses Mulder because he agrees that the American way of life circa 1996 is worth preserving.

I guess the show does get into American imperialism a bit with the repeated holocaust imagery and emphasis on nazis stolen from World War II as the origin of modern America, but there’s not really a sense of why America is an empire or what its purpose is. Flashbacks sometimes show the smoking man as a rabid anticommunist, but in the sense of this being an archaic attitude unrelated to what he does in the present.

It is interesting that there’s a persistent sense that the status quo will utterly end when the aliens take over, but there’s never so much as a sentence-long description of what that will be like. Will we be slaves building war machines? Will it be genocide? Will there be terraforming? It’s just a total blank, utterly inconceivable except as the end of the only possible state of affairs.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Lid posted:

None of which involve the myth arc of course.

The mytharc episodes are rarely good on their own, because the entire point is the serialized growing understanding of the conspiracy. I think with mytharc stuff that needs to be taken into account. Can I point to my favorite mytharc episode in the first two seasons as a terrific standalone episode? Probably not. But the mytharc stuff taken in totality over the course of those two seasons I completely adore because it absolutely nails that 70s political thriller All The Presidents Men vibe and is an engaging, building mystery. It's really difficult to yank one of those episodes out of its larger context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Even when I was watching X-Files when it first aired, I always liked MOTW episodes better