Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Miguel Prado posted:

I found it fantastic from start to finish.

Anybody giving John French’s new Sigismund book a chance today? I’m skeptical

It's pretty good. I enjoyed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

D-Pad posted:

It's pretty good. I enjoyed it.

Is it good for people who love Sigsmund, hate him, or both?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

von Metternich posted:

Is it good for people who love Sigsmund, hate him, or both?

If you love him yes, if you hate him I guess it would depend on why you hate him.

The basic premise is similar to the Luther novel in that it's the main character relating a series of stories as a way to show something he believes in. In Sigismund it's a remembrancer interviewing him shortly before the heresy starts wanting to know why he believes the imperium will always be at war eternal because at the time he really stood out as one of the only people who believed that as most thought the crusade was coming to an end and humanity would enter a new golden age. If you like the Fists or want to see where the Black Templars beliefs stem from you'll like it.

I particularly liked it because I really loved his portrayal in Warhawk and how between him and Keeler we saw the beginnings of the imperium as we know it today blossom as a reaction to the horror of the siege of the palace. This book basically shows why he was primed to react the way he did and become who we saw in Warhawk.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I love reading unnerving Ecclesiarchy stuff like vat-grown cherubs flapping useless wings while hovering on anti-grav units. The Beast Arises #10 introduces a "page boy" who has a run down, worn look because he's actually a middle-aged man who from a young age was chemically blocked from undergoing puberty and "the death of innocence" and I was like woah crazy until I remembered the existence of castrati.

Kevin DuBrow fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Apr 23, 2022

Col.Schultz
May 14, 2010

Till we come to some beginning within our own power...

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I love reading unnerving Ecclesiarchy stuff like vat-grown cherubs flapping useless wings while hovering on anti-grav units. The Beast Arises #10 introduces a "page boy" who has a run down, worn look because he's actually a middle-aged man who from a young age was chemically blocked from undergoing puberty and "the death of innocence" and I was like woah crazy until I remembered the existence of castrati.

I think some of the best Ecclesiarchy weirdness like that was in the first of the Shia Calpurnia books, from way way back in the day where all of the BL authors leaned in hard to that stuff.

It always disappointed me that Matthew Farrer wrote those and then did nothing for them for like 15 years.

I saw his name on the two Urdesh Gaunts Ghosts spin-off books (which were way better than I was expecting) and was very surprised.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

From what I remember he also worked on the expansion book for Dark Heresy that focused on the Arbites.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
One of these days I'm finally gonna tick off the Calpurnia books from the list.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I should get back to those. I remember enjoying the first one, even if it was a little dull in places.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I recently picked up most of the Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader source books used just for the lore and there is soooo much interesting stuff in them. I hope they add them to the vault soon. If you get a chance to get any of them for cheap do it they are fun reads.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

D-Pad posted:

I recently picked up most of the Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader source books used just for the lore and there is soooo much interesting stuff in them. I hope they add them to the vault soon. If you get a chance to get any of them for cheap do it they are fun reads.

I like how the TTS Custodes look was actually canon.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/04/24/sunday-preview-head-out-on-the-highway-with-necromunda-ash-wastes

Turns out I was wrong and the Infantry Manual is just a reprinted Primer/Munitorium Manual collection.
Which I'm both happy and disappointed over.

Otoh, the Huron Blackheart book goes up for pre-order next weekend.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/04/24/sunday-preview-head-out-on-the-highway-with-necromunda-ash-wastes

Turns out I was wrong and the Infantry Manual is just a reprinted Primer/Munitorium Manual collection.
Which I'm both happy and disappointed over.

Otoh, the Huron Blackheart book goes up for pre-order next weekend.

These drop at like 11AM EST right?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Waroduce posted:

These drop at like 11AM EST right?

12:55 EST is when the website gets updated and is when I hit the refresh button

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Yup, 12:55-1 PM on Saturday is the time to start refreshing the site.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Count Thrashula posted:

12:55 EST is when the website gets updated and is when I hit the refresh button

Ah good I was wondering why there wasn’t an order link with the update.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.cbc.ca/radiointeractives/docproject/warhammer-40k

Just thought I'd share this because I found it interesting and outsider perspectives are entertaining. Not every day I see CBC news publishing an article on 40K and the community's issue with right wing nutjobs.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I have just finished Ahriman: Exile and found it meh

Do I bother with the rest?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

notaspy posted:

I have just finished Ahriman: Exile and found it meh

Do I bother with the rest?

I loved them all tbh but I also enjoy the character and the wolves chasing him.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Ahriman: Sorcerer is nice.

Ahriman: Unchanged has some high points, but it's mostly just...decent.

I have not read the others.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Which is the one where Ahriman fights a time traveling Necron?

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Finally something new for Sigmar https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/04/27/who-is-worthy-of-the-godsbane-find-out-in-dale-lucas-new-black-library-novel

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Well consider me surprised at this.
Now they just need to announce like six more.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
Did anyone ever post any proof of all the AoS authors leaving? Someone said something along those lines a while back.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

The only one that left was Reynolds but that was long time ago. If I had to guess, I think it might just be that aos part of BL has 0 management and no road map and stuff is put out in haphazard fashion or hanging in some kind of publishing limbo.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i repeat my amazement at black library or at least the 40k bit always getting poo poo out on time. how do they do that? what the hell? is there an article or something talking with this? what pact with chaos did kyme and the others intone to get this to happen?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.cbc.ca/radiointeractives/docproject/warhammer-40k

Just thought I'd share this because I found it interesting and outsider perspectives are entertaining. Not every day I see CBC news publishing an article on 40K and the community's issue with right wing nutjobs.
It's not exactly an outsider perspective but it's good to see some light being shone on the fash when the purpose of infiltrating nerd groups was that everyone ignores us.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i repeat my amazement at black library or at least the 40k bit always getting poo poo out on time. how do they do that? what the hell? is there an article or something talking with this? what pact with chaos did kyme and the others intone to get this to happen?

They only announce poo poo when they have it pretty much ready to go is the key I think. Look at varied length between SoT books. I might be wrong though!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

ed balls balls man posted:

They only announce poo poo when they have it pretty much ready to go is the key I think. Look at varied length between SoT books. I might be wrong though!

That's pretty much it. They get things done, then announce a date.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Covermeinsunshine posted:

The only one that left was Reynolds but that was long time ago. If I had to guess, I think it might just be that aos part of BL has 0 management and no road map and stuff is put out in haphazard fashion or hanging in some kind of publishing limbo.

There's also no AoS-equivalent to the Horus Heresy or Dawn of Fire to push things along AFAICT

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Improbable Lobster posted:

There's also no AoS-equivalent to the Horus Heresy or Dawn of Fire to push things along AFAICT

Is there even any method of progress in the AoS setting? I've not really paid attention to the backstory but the impression I get from the outside is that it's some kind of end-of-history spacetime limbo set up by the gods to produce skirmishes forever without any prospect of decisive military victory.

Roller Coast Guard fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Apr 28, 2022

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Is there even any method of progress in the AoS setting? I've not really paid attention to the backstory but the impression I get from the outside is that it's some kind of end-of-history spacetime limbo set up by the gods to produce skirmishes forever without any prospect of decisive military victory.

Basically yes, they tried (are trying?) to basically have Sigmar or Chaos or Nagash do a big push everyonce in a awhile but because it's a grab bag setting where they basically decided that every fantasy trope is now a faction with their own cities or whatever it's kinda hard to give a poo poo.

Honestly it's like they already hit that one point 40k was in until just recently where people just stopped giving a poo poo because everyone knew the story/plot would never move forward. Except it's worse because since it's a relatively new setting people don't have the investment.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Apr 28, 2022

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Nah AoS actually has storyline progression marked with editions and supplements (how much time passes between events is kinda vague tho). It goes like this 1ed Realmgate Wars where gods of order try to wrest control of the realms from chaos - this ends with forces of order reestablishing cities and kingdoms across the place (firestorm campaign). This leads to Malign Portents and Second edition when some time latter Nagash tries to genocide everyone (again) and gets foiled by skaven (again) in an event known as Necroquake. This leads to events of Forbidden Power, when it turns out necroquake unearthed Sigmars Secret Silos storing artifacts and beings of mass destruction. In those events, the city of Lethis is destroyed and Orpheon Katakros (one of nagashes mortharchs) is fred. Katakros leads the assault on Varanspire (big bad evil place) and manages to establish the foothold there - this was in Wrath of Everchosen (also Archaon is just bad at his job). Second edition ends with 4 supplements called Broken Realms with lead to a number of earlier established tables getting flipped (morathi becomes the godess, few stormhosts wiped out, Chamon wrecked, Excelsis wrecked, Slannesh gives birth to twins). This all leads to 3rd edition

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

There is far more plot progression in AoS than in 40k because AoS isn't a huge relic built upon years and years upon cruft. And the moment you shift a piece too much you'll be having angry nerds breathing down your neck. And the same could be said for Warhammer Fantasy tbh.
I mean they even had to roll back the clock with 40k because the new crusade took things too far anyway.

Although I can't help but to wonder if AoS interest has been waning over the past year considering the slow release schedule of new books and such.
Then again, considering how 40k is diving right into atrocious balance while AoS has remained fairly tight there might be a swing around at some point.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I still think the Indomitus Crusade was originally going to be an AoS style reboot that got cancelled last muinute.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
i recently finished titanicus and i really wanted to actually see the indisputable proof that the omnissiah is not the god-emperor :mad:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well when the Void Dragon erupts from the core of Mars and the Mechanicus all pledge fealty to it you'll have your answer.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Plot progression in AoS is also easy because AoS is planar fantasy. You can do virtually anything on high magic planar fantasy, because it has no boundaries like “continents” or “planets”. It’s also why narrative stakes are difficult on planar fantasy unless it’s within a set defined area or personal stories.

Say the realm of death expands and suddenly the realm of fire is at risk! Oh no! But plot twist actually next week the realm of fire expands! That’s very different to nation A v nation B or similar. Structurally different, narratives without boundaries or stakes.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
Hello again, thread!

I've realized after finishing Black Legion 2 that I just really like Chaos stuff, but I've noticed that there's a few themes that keep coming up in ADB's rendition of Chaos, most notably that none of the CSM actually like the Chaos Gods. Even the Word Bearers in The First Heretic seemed put off by the nature of Chaos, and shrugged their shoulders and said, "well, the gods are real, even if we don't like them". Lorgar's crowning moment in that book is even declaring that he serves the gods, but he won't be slaves to them.

This made a lot of sense with the Night Lords, who are pretty anti-Chaos even if they cynically see it as a useful tool to smash the Imperium. With the Black Legion, it kiiiiinda makes sense, in that Abaddon not wanting to be bound to any of the gods has always been part of his characterization, the focus is more on a kind of traitor marine solidarity and supremacist ideology (the Imperium is ours, we're gonna come back and take it, and also vengeance) and its all told from Khayon's point of view, so his perspective on Warp shenanigans colors the narrative.

But in general, I feel like the gods get a bad rap. Even their champions don't seem to like them. I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation where Chaos itself is given a positive spin, or the gods come across better -- even if they're horrible psychic blobs of pure evil? Alternatively, if there's a writer other than ADB who does a good job with Chaos.

Otherwise, I'll just keep going with polishing off the series I have going on.

Also Assassinorium Kingmaker is kinda mid so far. There's a comic edge to it that I don't think works as well here as it fit in the Infinite and the Divine, but I like the idea of assassins playing politics, so imma keep at it.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
IIRC Lords of Silence had more of the vibe you're looking for, but now that I'm thinking about it I'm not so sure. It was better than the first Black Legion book at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lords If silence is very good yeah . It’s kind of a marvel movie in how there is a main story focused on about 10 … sort of people but a lot of the book also moves the meta story forward and flash backs with lore important characters

Lots of body horror !! :)