Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They don't really "run out of" stuff to make, because Lego makes things for a limited time and then just makes it again. It might seem like there is a lot of redundancy if you are an adult who has been collecting for 15 years, but their target market is still mostly kids who are coming into the right age range. people are always like "ugh another X-Wing? they just did one 3 years ago!" and it's like, yeah. 3 years ago a 9 year old was 6 and maybe they want an X-Wing now despite 40 year olds with 5 of them thinking it's too much lol.

As far as Harry Potter goes. I have never seen or read it and only know that the author made a lovely tweet a couple years ago. But I do know it's friggin huge and isn't going anywhere in the same way Star Wars wouldn't go anywhere if George Lucas got caught posting on incel forums or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Emerald Night re-release when?

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Rowling is trash and I never got super into HP but sometimes I think always online types in their own social media/thinkpiece outrage bubbles (not directed at anyone here) underestimate the lasting appeal of the core HP franchise to both children and adults who grew up with it.

It seems like the FB well has run dry and the most recent movie is something of a flop, but even putting the other, successful movies aside, the books are the bestselling series of all time at over 500m copies. I don’t know if it has exactly as much cultural saturation as a Star Wars, but it’s easy to see why a toy company that is significantly reliant on IPs at this point wouldn’t up and stop making those toys because the person who had the idea is a shitbag.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

For sure, but my snip was that the Overwatch line at least felt a little fresh/unique.

Despite liking Harry Potter for a time, even during my lego prime, the sets have just never appealed to me. It feels almost surprising they're still doing them, but they obviously sell. I'd say at least something like Star Wars has a million different vehicles they can make models for, including a bunch of spin-offs and EU stuff to pull from, but Harry Potter has like, 8? books to pull set pieces from, you'd think they'd be out of ideas.

e: New train looks neat, kind of wish I had space to go ham with trains, I bought the previous cargo train set and don't really have room to set it up.

Harry Potter is still loving huge with kids. Like all the kids I work with are excited about their birthdays because then they'll finally be old enough to watch the movies and poo poo. That and the presents they'll get (of course) are literally what they tell me about when I ask them what they'll be doing for their birthdays.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The franchise ticks all of Legos current boxes, so I'm not surprised they have leaned so hard into it. Lego is primarily catering to what kids want, but also they have leaned hard into pop culture nostalgia mining over the last few years and HP covers both of those things. It's like the entire spectrum of Lego's current bread and butter.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

No attachment to HP at all, but I do really like the look of that Astronomy Tower set that's out right now. I should build it in Studio...

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm at odds with how much I don't care about Harry Potter and how good some of those sets are. The owl is amazing.

Buying an expensive set from an IP I have no attachment to just feels to weird to me lol.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I finally picked up an electronic air duster and man, it's nice. I'd been waffling on it for a while because they aren't exactly cheap, but at the end of the day it's the cost of like 8 cans of air so it'll pay for itself eventually. The best part is being able to use it liberally, not feeling like I have to savor it because canned air barely lasts and is pricey as hell.

I regret getting the 45000 rpm instead of ponying up for the 71000 that also works as a lil vacuum though. I'd say it only has about 70% of the power of canned air, which is fine. it's get the job done, but it lacks that turbo blast of air that just instantly knocks all the dust off.

Still it's great though. highly recommend if you have a lot of sets on display. It makes dusting super effortless and has all sorts of other household uses.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
I'm a big fan of the $40 hake calligraphy brush for dusting, it feels very dignified.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Imo brush/air combo is the best way to go. Loosen everything up with the brush. Blast it off with air.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

veni veni veni posted:

The owl is amazing.

I agree, and I'm probably going to rip it off in Stud.io

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I've heard people complain that the train packs a side build, but I'd rather have a lower price for just a train, and get side builds I want as actual sets. I'll definitely get that train eventually, but probably wait for a sale.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Michael's Craft stores are having a sale on display boxes. 50% off or buy one get one free, mix and match.
https://www.michaels.com/shadow-boxes/display-cases/20001929

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Atari 2600 set rumored.

I’m disappointed they’re not going with the ET tie-in.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Could probably fit an emulation of the Atari chipset and all their games inside a 2x4 brick, so hopefully it's a fully playable Atari. :v:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Apparently no blue milk Luke for May 4?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Doctor Spaceman posted:

He was an extra in the vidyagame

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Dogen posted:

He was an extra in the vidyagame

There were a bunch of rumours suggesting it'd be a GWP for May 4th. Sucks given the price and that it wasn't even available for some platforms.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's in the gwp

Poke Chop
Apr 27, 2008
One of the GWPs is probably an in-store only yeah? Maybe that's where all the lukes went

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Speaking of stud.io….is there some kind of VR mod? That would be kinda cool.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

xzzy posted:

Could probably fit an emulation of the Atari chipset and all their games inside a 2x4 brick, so hopefully it's a fully playable Atari. :v:

Doesn’t seem like it but the current info is that it’ll have a mini Pitfall diorama inside and you can move Pitfall Harry a bit with the controllers

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
So with the May 4th promos coming up I’m looking at what I want to grab. I have only ever bought Star Wars sets that are about $150 and under because I have a budget for Legos and usually prefer to buy lots of cheaper sets instead of the larger more expensive ones but I’m thinking about dipping my toes finally into the larger sets that are more for display because I’ve been saving up. My number one choice right now is the Cantina and was wondering if anyone that owns it has any opinions on it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have it. I think it's a top notch set. Maybe a bit on the pricey side, but you do get 20 or so mostly great minifigures with it. The build is very fun and looks great on display. Tbh it's the only set in that line that I personally find to have much display value. With stuff like Cloud City, Hoth, The Death Star you can't really make much out of them except some little vignettes, but with the cantina it's kind of the Star Wars equivalent of a modular or something. The building itself is very detailed and cool and opens up really nicely. There's also so many side builds it never gets boring. It would make an equally good playset for a kid.

My only advice is that it does not look very interesting from the side, so try to set aside a place where you can get a good top down view of the whole thing, like a dresser or the top of a low shelf, table etc.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWtZUzkvQ2E

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

I will also add I actually enjoyed building it unlike many playsets

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

veni veni veni posted:

I have it. I think it's a top notch set. Maybe a bit on the pricey side, but you do get 20 or so mostly great minifigures with it. The build is very fun and looks great on display. Tbh it's the only set in that line that I personally find to have much display value. With stuff like Cloud City, Hoth, The Death Star you can't really make much out of them except some little vignettes, but with the cantina it's kind of the Star Wars equivalent of a modular or something. The building itself is very detailed and cool and opens up really nicely. There's also so many side builds it never gets boring. It would make an equally good playset for a kid.

My only advice is that it does not look very interesting from the side, so try to set aside a place where you can get a good top down view of the whole thing, like a dresser or the top of a low shelf, table etc.
Seconding all this. It's a great build and the final model really captures the cantina nicely, both in the amount of detail and minifigs on the interior and the architecture of the exterior. And unlike a lot of Star Wars UCS sets, it's not a big lump of gray. Also the side builds are cool, especially the speeder.

And speaking of Star Wars UCS sets that aren't gray, while the landspeeder isn't necessarily my favorite design, I'm tempted to get that one if only for the change of pace in color scheme. That price per part count, though...

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sadly as far as SW UCS goes these days the price per part isn't even that bad. it has more parts than the A wing or Snowspeeder and just slightly less than the Y Wing, or even the slave 1 that came out poo poo...like 8 years ago?. The Star Wars tax is intense. The biggest thing it has working against it is that Lukes landspeeder is cool but it's pretty lame compared to all of the previously mentioned ships.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Thinking about the UCS Landspeeder made me realise they could do a UCS Speeder Bike and I reckon it'd actually be pretty cool.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Thinking about the UCS Landspeeder made me realise they could do a UCS Speeder Bike and I reckon it'd actually be pretty cool.

While of course far away from the details of an actual UCS set, I once picked up the buildable figure Scout Trooper with Speeder Bike for a heavy discount, and it actually looks pretty cool!

https://www.lego.com/de-de/product/scout-trooper-speeder-bike-75532

It‘s pretty huge, and was discounted like 40% or something.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah I guess they're running out of iconic vehicles to turn into UCS sets. I guess they could redo the Tie Interceptor and Naboo Starfighter(the latter wasn't really a UCS set in the same sense as the others anyway)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

RatHat posted:

Yeah I guess they're running out of iconic vehicles to turn into UCS sets. I guess they could redo the Tie Interceptor and Naboo Starfighter(the latter wasn't really a UCS set in the same sense as the others anyway)
I assume we are going to start seeing more remakes but they have a few others that haven't been made yet.

I joked about the speeder bike but I don't think it's impossible. Nebulon B and TIE Bomber are pretty much gimmies given the fan vote. Razor Crest is rumoured (and presumably the modified N1 is a possibility too). There are a few good prequel era options too (ARC fighter, Venator, Jedi Starfighter).

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah I’m going to take the plunge. It’s funny you say that about displaying it because the only place I have room for it is the top of my board game shelf which is only about 2 1/2 feet tall so it should be perfect.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Rad Valtar posted:

So with the May 4th promos coming up I’m looking at what I want to grab. I have only ever bought Star Wars sets that are about $150 and under because I have a budget for Legos and usually prefer to buy lots of cheaper sets instead of the larger more expensive ones but I’m thinking about dipping my toes finally into the larger sets that are more for display because I’ve been saving up. My number one choice right now is the Cantina and was wondering if anyone that owns it has any opinions on it.

I'll back up everyone else and say yeah it owns, just make sure you've got room to display it properly

veni veni veni posted:

The biggest thing it has working against it is that Lukes landspeeder is cool but it's pretty lame compared to all of the previously mentioned ships.

I'm slightly mad at prequel stans that got the gunship made instead of the TIE Bomber. I don't get why there hasn't even been a decent small-scale Bomber, ever.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

I just want a goddamn Dreadnaught in any loving form

…then I’ll buy like 6 for a mini Katana fleet

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

RatHat posted:

Needs the chrome pieces, though,

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Futanari Damacy posted:

Needs the chrome pieces, though,

Have they made ANY chrome pieces since that era? The replacement seems to be stickers

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They stopped making chrome parts a ways back, the chrome isn't very durable and ramps up cost. They've been experimenting with alternatives, nothing is quite as shiny but stuff like the lunar lander has the modern versions.

There are a dozen custom brick shops that will chrome pretty much anything you want though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think the chrome pieces have to be entirely separate because they have to be slightly smaller to account for the thickness of the chrome coating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I assume we are going to start seeing more remakes but they have a few others that haven't been made yet.

I joked about the speeder bike but I don't think it's impossible. Nebulon B and TIE Bomber are pretty much gimmies given the fan vote. Razor Crest is rumoured (and presumably the modified N1 is a possibility too). There are a few good prequel era options too (ARC fighter, Venator, Jedi Starfighter).

UCS TIE Defender.