Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

explosivo posted:

Has anyone played this in co-op with a friend and had a good time with it? I remember trying this a while back with one of my friends and it was just awkwardly warping around to the same places and struggling to figure out what exactly we could do that would be fun. This has to have been 2 years or more ago though so have they improved the co-op experience?

Not really, we generally do an Abandoned Freighter mission, or whatever is good from the Anomaly, but generally there's not much to do with multiplayer apart from show off each others' bases.

Also each person has an individual Sentinel level which is weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Not really, we generally do an Abandoned Freighter mission, or whatever is good from the Anomaly, but generally there's not much to do with multiplayer apart from show off each others' bases.

Also each person has an individual Sentinel level which is weird.

Thanks, I figured this might've been the case.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
You could walk around inside your ship (and even outside of your ship in space) in NMS's spiritual predecessor, Noctis IV. Granted, though, there wasn't a whole lot to said ship...

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
To be fair, most NMS ships really wouldn't have much of an interior besides the cockpit + cargo hold.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Mokinokaro posted:

To be fair, most NMS ships really wouldn't have much of an interior besides the cockpit + cargo hold.

You'd be packed in asscrack to nutsack in this little puddle jumper.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Just got the game on sale and having a lot of fun.

One big issue though -- how do I navigate when in-system? The map lets me pick new systems to warp to, but sometimes I have a hell of a time just finding my way back to the space station or locating one of the planets. It's really frustrating.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

JerikTelorian posted:

One big issue though -- how do I navigate when in-system? The map lets me pick new systems to warp to, but sometimes I have a hell of a time just finding my way back to the space station or locating one of the planets. It's really frustrating.

You have a (bad) compass on the top of your screen and every ship has a 3D radar in the cockpit you can use to help orient yourself. But yes it's a bit of a mess to do poo poo in-system.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

JerikTelorian posted:

It's just a matter of getting used to the HUD and in-ship radar screen.

The yellow sphere on the upper left side is space station. The planets and moons will appear on the radar in the middle. Sometimes planets will block your view of what's behind them, and you'll have to boost past to get a better look.

E: for any other new players, an easy way to get tons of cash is to throw a couple S Tier Scanner upgrades on your multitool. You can buy them from one of the technology merchants on every space station, but not every space station will have top quality gear. Wait for those S Tier upgrades. Afterwards, every plant and animal you scan will be worth hundreds of thousands of units.

The Zombie Guy fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 23, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Zombie Guy posted:

Have you given Subnautica a try? It's underwater exploration instead of space, but you can get a sweet sub that acts as a mobile base.

Oh, I'm a huge Subnautica nerd (I even love BZ!) and I was looking for something that offered "cyclops, but way bigger, and in space".

However, looking up X4, I don't know what it is about it, but it just feels kind of unappealing to me. I can't really describe why I feel that way, maybe it just comes off (at least from the trailer) to be very impersonal.

When it comes down to it, despite the lack of walkable space ships, NMS is really giving me everything else that I want, so I think I'm good. But I appreciate all of your help!

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

having slightly larger ships that support walking around on em would do wonders for both immersion as well as gameplay though, especially if you could just have a few refiners on board that automatically use whatever carbon you have in cargo.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’d love to be able to build a short range teleporter on my freighter in the landing bay to go upstairs.

Also, has anyone built a second level on their freighter? I always see the stairs part when trying to find something to do on board, but eh.

slagmatic
Apr 28, 2004

glowy melty swirling things!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I thought I could paint it myself?

This hot pink ship is pretty great, coordinates are in the comments, you'll have to track down all the glyphs and a portal:

https://old.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/u9b5ae/i_was_loving_this_ship_cause_well_how_often_do/

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

I’d love to be able to build a short range teleporter on my freighter in the landing bay to go upstairs.

Also, has anyone built a second level on their freighter? I always see the stairs part when trying to find something to do on board, but eh.

Stairs in freighters are awesome and let you compact the design really well. I put all my frequently used things on the first level, but then put my bedroom, storage, and all the other poo poo you need to plop but never interact with up there so you don't end up with a hugely spread out design. The downside is that because of the way stairs and freighter building works, if you need to move the stairs you absolutely need to place another stairwell first or it is nearly impossible to reconnect to the second floor without it being a huge clusterfuck.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Omnicarus posted:

Stairs in freighters are awesome and let you compact the design really well. I put all my frequently used things on the first level, but then put my bedroom, storage, and all the other poo poo you need to plop but never interact with up there so you don't end up with a hugely spread out design. The downside is that because of the way stairs and freighter building works, if you need to move the stairs you absolutely need to place another stairwell first or it is nearly impossible to reconnect to the second floor without it being a huge clusterfuck.

Ooo...thanks for that tip!

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
I started to build a base last night. I dont quite understand why they replaced all the old wood, metal, and stone stuff. I thought it was for compatability with other stuff, but it doesnt sync with cuboid rooms. Some of it looks ok, but the metal walls are pretty annoying. They have this extra piece of metal sticking out at the top which is an absolute pain to deal with if you are trying to build any multi story structure. Ill try a bit more, but i think im just gonna go cuboid again for most of the main stuff.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
This game really is a bit speciesist...

Ugly green giant bug critter that will immediately drop whatever it's doing and try to murder you the instant it becomes aware of your existence and won't stop until one of you is dead, despite being surrounded by herds of its ordinary prey: Just a normal predator, circle of life, nothing to see here, folks! :angel:

Ugly green giant bug critter that just chills out underground not bothering anyone and only attacks you when you start stealing its unborn children to grind them up for profit, then fucks off and goes back to chilling underground if you leave them alone for a minute: BIOLOGICAL HORROR MONSTROSITY! :derp:

Tuxide
Mar 7, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
So, is there anything to do in this game cooperatively, as a group?

I'm looking for something for goons to do together on the NMS goon Discord, like trying to find a decent planet and then doing a build project on it, or something like that. But I don't even know if that's doable.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
In a short-term sense, grouping up on specific anomaly quests or, larger scale, expeditions as a whole are usually the extent of what's sanely doable (although "pairing up with one or two people and lockstepping through content from a fresh save" might be an option as well).

Large co-op projects in this game tend to center around one of two approaches:

- Collaborative but individual discovery a la NMSCE, where "hey I found this cool thing, let's make a note of it and add it to the list of cool things we've found so other people can go grab that thing in their own save files too", or
- Neighborly base-building (usually with a smattering of RP a la civilized space) where everyone has their individual bases near by each other

The rub here is that in both blessing-and-curse fashion, bases are stored local to your save file until they're explicitly uploaded and synced, and I'm not even sure if uploaded bases can be modified by others while the owner is offline (even with full base-modification permissions allowed), so truely asynchronous collaborative bases in the usual survival sandbox game sense don't quite work out the same way.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Realized my settlement is located in hell, so I'm finding a new one. The "A Trace of Metal" quest just popped up though, so now I'm nervous about changing it in case it breaks the quest. Anyone have experience with this?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I don't think that the trace of metal quest really involves settlement interaction past the first step, but it's also pretty straightforward and nothing in it is timegated so if you want to be on the safe side you can knock it out to completion in fairly short order before swapping settlements

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I don't think that the trace of metal quest really involves settlement interaction past the first step, but it's also pretty straightforward and nothing in it is timegated so if you want to be on the safe side you can knock it out to completion in fairly short order before swapping settlements

Yeah, that sounds reasonable. Thanks!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I loved Noctis but it used to give me the fear. The vast emptiness of space and all that.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Haven't played in over a year, I think just before the companions update. Finally jumped back in and got the first distress signal to introduce me to settlements. I show up, and all the villagers are glitched into the ground and can't be interacted with. A couple are floating fifty feet in the air.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Origami Dali posted:

Haven't played in over a year, I think just before the companions update. Finally jumped back in and got the first distress signal to introduce me to settlements. I show up, and all the villagers are glitched into the ground and can't be interacted with. A couple are floating fifty feet in the air.

You can buy a settlement chart from the nav data vendor for five nav data. Use it in a system you like, make sure you select the settlement quest from the log and you'll get a new opportunity.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I love the random names that multitools have. I don't think I've seen a bad one yet. Last night I found an awesome A Class rifle that I had to buy, called the Unstable Dream Probe.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

The Zombie Guy posted:

I love the random names that multitools have. I don't think I've seen a bad one yet. Last night I found an awesome A Class rifle that I had to buy, called the Unstable Dream Probe.

I mean that just sounds extremely rude!

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Is there a way to have an exocraft do survey scanning or am I stuck hoofing it on foot to find an activated indium deposit?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

HopperUK posted:

I loved Noctis but it used to give me the fear. The vast emptiness of space and all that.

Elite Dangerous can give me that fear at times.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Floppychop posted:

Is there a way to have an exocraft do survey scanning or am I stuck hoofing it on foot to find an activated indium deposit?

You can just hop out at regular intervals and tag the closest one, yeah?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Started a new game. The second planet in the system I started in is infested with adorable owlbears. And since it only has occasional deadly storms and no sentinels at all I think I will actually make a real base here!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

One day he'll get that acorn

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

That last bit is amazing. Please elaborate, whoever wrote this entry!! What did it do?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

One day he'll get that acorn

poo poo, shoulda named it Scrat.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Rodents of unusual size?

I don't think they exist :smug:

Edit: I have never, ever, been so goddamned enthralled with a game more than this. Holy poo poo.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Apr 25, 2022

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
The bugs in this game are so strange.

I had a class A explorer with 31 slots then I did an Artemis mission that teleported me to another planet/system and the mission tells you to go to your ship. When I found my ship the model has now switched to one of those sphere based exotic ships but it still has all the slots, gear and items of my explorer. It's still A class but I think the game does consider it an exotic now since I no longer have reduced cost of launch (it takes 25% to lift off now instead of 12.5). I've restarted the game and it appears to be a permanent change.

Unrelated, I was playing multi with my buddy and his settlement got attacked by sentinels but it bugged out. It kept say he had 4 to kill when there was just one big guy left. Killing the big guy would reset the attack, and revert the counter to 11 and spawn a new wave. After doing that several times, the game absolutely flipped and spawned over 1000 drones. He said it looked like an atmospheric effect from a distance. He managed to hop into his ship and make passes over the settlement blowing them up by the hundreds. Completely filled his inventory with that sentinel glass but he eventually got them all and was able to get the defence to complete.

Their bugs are entertaining if nothing else.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Thats a hell of a way to farm nanites. Sounds fun too! Strafing runs like an A10 on a tank column.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

ZombieCrew posted:

Thats a hell of a way to farm nanites. Sounds fun too! Strafing runs like an A10 on a tank column.

Infra-Knife Accelerator goes BRRRRRRRR

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

ZombieCrew posted:

At one point one of my Sentinel settlement things bugged out, but instead of the Sentinels themselves spawning endlessly it was just the canisters they drop when they die. Every time I'd pop a few, a few more cans would appear out of thin air and fall to the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

ZombieCrew posted:

He sent over a screenshot of the sentinels in action