Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Skeezy posted:

Doesn't really make sense for the SE to look like the Mini now while there are 12/13 Mini's still around and can be bought. Give it another two years or so and you'll probably see the SE Mini or whatever.

This is almost assuredly where it’s going. I’d be surprised if the 2022 SE wasn’t the last phone with the classic design. In 2024 or 2025 the Mini will be repackaged as the new SE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Gay Retard posted:

Three of my friends love their iPhone Minis to death, and are quite sad to hear they won't be making them after this year. They're definitely outliers, though.

I love my 13 mini too. Perhaps not to death, but smaller form was the reason I dropped Android and bought my first Apple product ever. I think smaller phones will make a comeback, but perhaps not right around the corner.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Smaller phones go to hell. I want phones to keep getting bigger forever until JNCOs become the only practical legwear on the planet.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
How do I take parts of video 1 and video 2, from the camera roll, and put them together to make a video to send via iMessage

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I’d probably use Premiere Rush but there’s also Apple’s Clips app.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

The Dave posted:

I’d probably use Premiere Rush but there’s also Apple’s Clips app.

I think clips is what I’m looking for thanks. Not trying to win an oscar here.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you want something a little more advanced than Clips, iMovie is the other option. Clips is more of a social media with goofy filters movie maker.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

I think clips is what I’m looking for thanks. Not trying to win an oscar here.

Premiere Rush is actually a dumbed-down editor Adobe put out for the casual editor. Also loling I forgot there's iOS iMovie.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I've used iMovie a few times and it works really well IMO.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Probably a dumb question, but here goes.

Recently (finally) replaced my 6s. I don't need bells and whistles (or cameras, really) but wanted a faster phone, so my wife and I bought new 3rd gen SEs. I went with a 128GB model because I'm old and cranky about music and still like having local copies of my MP3s. Both on my PC as well as on my phone for some dumb reason.

When I got the new phone, I did Apple's little set them next to each other trick and a while later - new phone basically became a clone of the old one. I didn't have to reinstall a thing. Very seemless.

The issue:

For years, I've kept my MP3 collection in folders on my PC and played them when I wanted via itunes. When I get something new - I plug my phone in, start itunes and sync it. New tracks get loaded nice and easy.

I just attempted to do the same, but itunes appears to be trying to load a new copy of my entire MP3 library onto the phone and throws an error claiming there's not enough room. There certainly is - I have 64GB or so of music on the phone, with roughly 35GB of free space. Yet, after adding a new LP to my collection - itunes won't sync, claiming I need an additional 40GB of space.

Any means of fixing this short of clearing the phone out and re-syncing the entire collection?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Tony Phillips posted:

Any means of fixing this short of clearing the phone out and re-syncing the entire collection?

No. You can delete the music off the phone until you have enough free space, no need to wipe the entire phone.

Music app -> Library -> Albums -> Long press on an album, "delete". Tedious.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

endlessmonotony posted:

No. You can delete the music off the phone until you have enough free space, no need to wipe the entire phone.

There's already more than enough space. I'm trying to add a single LP to a phone with 35GB of free space.

It's as if itunes is ignoring that 99% of my library is already on the phone despite it taking up 60+GB of room.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Tony Phillips posted:

There's already more than enough space. I'm trying to add a single LP to a phone with 35GB of free space.

It's as if itunes is ignoring that 99% of my library is already on the phone despite it taking up 60+GB of room.

My guess is that iTunes thinks it's a new device so it wants to sync up everything.

Just delete all the music and poo poo off the phone and then sync it up to iTunes.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Tony Phillips posted:

You are wrong. Delete the music off your phone (one album at a time, or by only syncing select albums through iTunes) or get enough free space by some other means, then resync.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Jose Oquendo posted:

My guess is that iTunes thinks it's a new device so it wants to sync up everything.

Just delete all the music and poo poo off the phone and then sync it up to iTunes.

No need to guess, the copies on the phone don't match the copies in iTunes due to filesystem issues, and you need to resync all music.

It may also trigger a bug where you have multiple copies of each track.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

endlessmonotony posted:

No need to guess, the copies on the phone don't match the copies in iTunes due to filesystem issues, and you need to resync all music.

It may also trigger a bug where you have multiple copies of each track.

Just what I thought in some way or or form, and definitely what I want to avoid. Wipe and resync it is. Thanks.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Tony Phillips posted:

Just what I thought in some way or or form, and definitely what I want to avoid. Wipe and resync it is. Thanks.

iTunes is a museum-worthy example of what happens when you put all the C-list programmers on a project nobody really cares about.

This design choice has been present for about a decade now.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Welp. Wiped the MP3s off the phone and now something similar to this is happening.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252366440

Plug phone in, little iphone icon appears in itunes, but dissappears within a second or two. Can't even get to the screen that breaks down the storage usage, sync, or anything. Phone charge indicator is on, and I can navigate through photos on the phone with Windows file explorer. But itunes doesn't seem to think it's connected.

Fake edit - solution / workaround found. Connected the phone with an older USB->lighting cable instead of the USB-C -> lightning cable that came with the phone. Itunes saw the phone, didn't immediately forget it, and big rear end 64GB sync underway.

Thanks again - I swear someday I'll move on from this dumb rear end program.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
The real solution is to delete your mp3 collection, sign up to your choice of Apple Music or Spotify, and then get on with life free of any music related cares in the world. I did it years ago when Apple Music first came out, dumped all my CDs at the local pawn shop, and I never looked back. With Apple Music at least you can also download the music to your phone so you don’t need to use mobile data to stream.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

The real solution is to delete your mp3 collection, sign up to your choice of Apple Music or Spotify, and then get on with life free of any music related cares in the world. I did it years ago when Apple Music first came out, dumped all my CDs at the local pawn shop, and I never looked back. With Apple Music at least you can also download the music to your phone so you don’t need to use mobile data to stream.

People that still use CDs/mp3s at this point generally have reasons...

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It’s fine to use whatever you like but Streaming + Vinyl is the best and I highly suggest that combo

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

TOOT BOOT posted:

People that still use CDs/mp3s at this point generally have reasons...

Nah they have excuses. A lot of people stubbornly cling to outdated ideas and ways of doing things despite the world having moved on and it being increasingly difficult and illogical to keep bending systems into doing things they are not really designed for.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

The Lord Bude posted:

Nah they have excuses. A lot of people stubbornly cling to outdated ideas and ways of doing things despite the world having moved on and it being increasingly difficult and illogical to keep bending systems into doing things they are not really designed for.

Oh please, Apple Music is - in fact - designed to upload your local mp3s to its service for all the content that isn’t available on the streaming platform. iTunes is designed to work with a database of local audio files.

Every month there are an average of about 2-4 songs I’ve added on Apple Music that become unavailable to stream. Sometimes they’ve just replaced the album with the deluxe or remastered version of it or something, but often they just no longer have the rights.

Why would I throw out all the music I love because 80% of it happens to be available to stream (for now)? That’s like saying “oh well, this movie is always going to be available on Netflix, so I should throw away this Blu-Ray rip I have on my hard drive”

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I have never in my life encountered music I wanted to listen to that wasn’t available on Apple Music, right down to obscure Greek folk songs from the 1930s for my grandparents. It’s been 5 years since I owned a device that could play optical media, longer since I owned a cd. I had literally hundreds of dvds; blu rays, cds, that took up 12 shelves across 2 bookcases. Got rid of them all. Between Apple Music, various streaming services, and worst case scenario buying or renting a movie from YouTube or the iTunes Store all my bases are covered and I’ve never looked back. Physical media is the past.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

The Lord Bude posted:

I have never in my life encountered music I wanted to listen to that wasn’t available on Apple Music

i have

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
The only poo poo I haven’t been able to find on Apple Music is certain (Nintendo mostly) video game soundtracks.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Y'all got some super weird obscure taste in music or something.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Love to pay monthly fees for access to media I already own.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I wish I was one of those people that had no interest in ever discovering new music.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Gay Retard posted:

Y'all got some super weird obscure taste in music or something.

not really. the stuff i had to upload because it wasn't in the catalog includes the disco elysium soundtrack, a burial/massive attack collab, "zaireeka" by the flaming lips, a talk talk live album, a scott walker album that randomly lost three tracks on streaming, and light in the attic's "pacific breeze" city pop comps. none of it is that obscure, it's just stuff that's in streaming limbo for whatever reason. i mostly use apple music tracks but the ability to upload and integrate my own mp3s with my cloud library is a killer feature. if i wasn't streaming at all and only wanted to listen to local files i'd use Doppler because music.app sucks poo poo if you're not using apple music

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/doppler-mp3-flac-player/id1468459747

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Gay Retard posted:

I wish I was one of those people that had no interest in ever discovering new music.

Apple Music has been a godsend in discovering new music; I find new music far more often now than I ever did before. I can browse through stuff, and I can just try things at random without having to buy anything.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The REAL problem with streaming music is when albums get remastered, the original gets memory holed. Or they tack on a dozen demos that sound like rear end that now you have to manually delete from your library.

:corsair:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Tony Phillips posted:

Welp. Wiped the MP3s off the phone and now something similar to this is happening.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252366440

Plug phone in, little iphone icon appears in itunes, but dissappears within a second or two. Can't even get to the screen that breaks down the storage usage, sync, or anything. Phone charge indicator is on, and I can navigate through photos on the phone with Windows file explorer. But itunes doesn't seem to think it's connected.

Fake edit - solution / workaround found. Connected the phone with an older USB->lighting cable instead of the USB-C -> lightning cable that came with the phone. Itunes saw the phone, didn't immediately forget it, and big rear end 64GB sync underway.

Thanks again - I swear someday I'll move on from this dumb rear end program.

If you don't want to go the streaming service route, you could setup iTunes Match and never have to worry about syncing your phone to iTunes ever again.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I've probably submitted two dozen Feedback requests for Apple Music after switching from Spotify earlier this month. I've been a Spotify user for over a decade, but their push to focus on podcasting, lack of HQ-quality audio tracks, and slowness to adopt iOS features had be considering Apple Music again, especially with the Apple One bundle discount.

Just let me pin/custom sort my playlists and don't group collaborating Artists as separate artists, drat it.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Gay Retard posted:

I've probably submitted two dozen Feedback requests for Apple Music after switching from Spotify earlier this month. I've been a Spotify user for over a decade, but their push to focus on podcasting, lack of HQ-quality audio tracks, and slowness to adopt iOS features had be considering Apple Music again, especially with the Apple One bundle discount.

Just let me pin/custom sort my playlists and don't group collaborating Artists as separate artists, drat it.

I would love Apple Music to take the recently playing page thing that Spotify has. That's really the one thing that would get me to switch again.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Skeezy posted:

I would love Apple Music to take the recently playing page thing that Spotify has. That's really the one thing that would get me to switch again.

Can you elaborate on what you mean? I really like that Apple Music gives you a little notification at the top of your Library when one of your artists releases a new song, and the "Browse" and "Listen Now" do a decent job of surfacing new music.

I know most Spotify fans miss their Discover Weekly and New Music Friday playlists, but I actually really like Apple's curated playlists that get updated every week, and they also have four "Made For You" curated playlists that are updated weekly, including "New Music Mix", "Get Up! Mix", "Favorites Mix", and "Chill Mix".

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I switched to YT Music/YT Premium from Spotify. I chose that because I love having access to weird bootleggy and unofficial poo poo on YT. I imagine someone that is using mp3s is probably doing so for more obscure stuff and they wouldn't get that from a streaming service.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Gay Retard posted:

Can you elaborate on what you mean? I really like that Apple Music gives you a little notification at the top of your Library when one of your artists releases a new song, and the "Browse" and "Listen Now" do a decent job of surfacing new music.

I know most Spotify fans miss their Discover Weekly and New Music Friday playlists, but I actually really like Apple's curated playlists that get updated every week, and they also have four "Made For You" curated playlists that are updated weekly, including "New Music Mix", "Get Up! Mix", "Favorites Mix", and "Chill Mix".

I haven’t used AM in a while so I’m not sure if they ever changed this. But in Spotify at the top right of the main page you have this icon that when clicked shows you everything you have recently played.

Here’s the icon (it’s the one in the middle)

And then the recently played list

I know there is a recently played option in AM but it just shows the albums iirc, I like that in Spotify it’ll show both.

It’s a minor thing but with the way I listen to stuff it’s just a very easy menu to click into and just tap to play whatever.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Skeezy posted:

I haven’t used AM in a while so I’m not sure if they ever changed this. But in Spotify at the top right of the main page you have this icon that when clicked shows you everything you have recently played.

Here’s the icon (it’s the one in the middle)

And then the recently played list

I know there is a recently played option in AM but it just shows the albums iirc, I like that in Spotify it’ll show both.

It’s a minor thing but with the way I listen to stuff it’s just a very easy menu to click into and just tap to play whatever.

Ah I see, if you scroll up on the queue in Apple Music, it shows the History:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

also big shout out to Marvis, which is a feature-rich and extremely customizable front-end for the stock music app that makes it a lot more pleasant to use, at least for me. there's a lot of stuff that apple music/itunes keeps track of that the stock music app won't show you but marvis is way more flexible. apple music + marvis is the best "power user's" streaming solution i've found

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/marvis-pro/id1447768809