Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Also, is there a storage mod that isn't OP? I would like a mod that allows me to store stuff a bit more compact, but isn't "stuff 100 squares worth of items into a 1 square chest"

Basically, I don't want to have a giant storage depot where everything is dumped on the floor, but instead in chests / hooks / shelves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2566120724

It's the usual option. All the containers are configurable so you can limit or expand stacking as desired

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
okay thats perfect. ty

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I use deep storage which is pretty balanced, takes time to store stuff in containers but allows greater density, also the interface looks nice.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Also get that weapon racks mod because it is very pretty.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Azhais posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2566120724

It's the usual option. All the containers are configurable so you can limit or expand stacking as desired

i like this one because putting stuff in and taking it out takes time and sort of, kind of balances things out: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1617282896

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
That's probably the one I was thinking of. I go the opposite direction and use rimfactory and beeline holographic storage so I can have 500 stacks of items in a 2x2 space that can be instantly teleported anywhere on the map in precise quantities.

All for the low low price of all the advanced components and a full nuclear reactor worth of power

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

To cut down on my hoarding I've just started taking half my inventory every year and just jamming them into launch pods and giving the stuff away for goodwill.

I definitely hoard way too much poo poo then I need, in my current play through I am actually trying to keep my food freezer in check rather than just having a giant box with like 8 AC's keeping it frozen.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

BadLlama posted:

I definitely hoard way too much poo poo then I need, in my current play through I am actually trying to keep my food freezer in check rather than just having a giant box with like 8 AC's keeping it frozen.

I once had a game where a toxic fallout lasted for almost an entire year so I can't not keep a hoarder's freezer of food around.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
well ty again. I'm gonna start a new colony tonight. I'm probably also going to pick something very dangerous. I have the vanilla biomes and alpha biomes mod, but I also have the alpha biomes occurences cranked way down. Maybe I'll pick some place that has acid rain or something

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
What would be a good difficulty setting if I just want to cap the raids and attacks at around mid-level rather than have them scale up indefinitely? I feel like I'd much rather create a nice-looking colony with a lot of features that are just for fun (like a nice garden or museum or whatever) than the kind of hyper-efficient, well-oiled machine you'd need to beat back the late-game sieges.

e: I'm also using the Hospitality mod and yea, building nice facilities for guests also takes away a lot of time and resources, even if they're paid back in visitor fees and gifts

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
There's a mod called raid limiter that will let you cap the number of points used

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

SexyBlindfold posted:

What would be a good difficulty setting if I just want to cap the raids and attacks at around mid-level rather than have them scale up indefinitely? I feel like I'd much rather create a nice-looking colony with a lot of features that are just for fun (like a nice garden or museum or whatever) than the kind of hyper-efficient, well-oiled machine you'd need to beat back the late-game sieges.

e: I'm also using the Hospitality mod and yea, building nice facilities for guests also takes away a lot of time and resources, even if they're paid back in visitor fees and gifts

Randy Random on Community Builder is probably what you want - the other storytellers will scale up indefinitely. Community Builder does not cap raid difficulty but the adaptation modifier is very low. If you want to make it even lower, you can manually set the Adaptation Growth Rate to 0 or play on Peaceful

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Ooh, acid rain? What does that do and how do I get it?

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

bird food bathtub posted:

Ooh, acid rain? What does that do and how do I get it?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1841354677

I'm not sure exactly which biome has the acid rain.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
What are the mechanics for the "Traitor!" event to pop off? Can it happen to anybody who joins the colony, or is it limited to those who join in certain ways (like through events rather than recruiting)? Are they marked from the moment they join or is it applied randomly?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

SexyBlindfold posted:

What are the mechanics for the "Traitor!" event to pop off? Can it happen to anybody who joins the colony, or is it limited to those who join in certain ways (like through events rather than recruiting)? Are they marked from the moment they join or is it applied randomly?

It's a fake copy of the "Wanderer Joins" event. They only show up on that event, and they're guaranteed to turn traitor on a timer regardless of what is happening around them when the timer goes off, whether they're surrounded by people with guns or asleep in bed. The event also doesn't respect storyteller population thresholds, so if someone shows up randomly on an already big colony just shoot them on sight.

The mimes from Alpha Animals work similarly though won't flip on you so long as you can keep the food flowing. Their extra hunger does mean lower overall efficiency due to extra meal breaks however.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
I think the mimic doesn't immediately show the higher hunger either, right? Or there's some other thing mildly obscuring the change so it's not quite so obvious right off the bat.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
Yeah it was only my third colonist so I didn't think anything of some rando joining in, but for the same reason it had a much larger potential for disaster once she flipped. Good thing she was an absolute garbage fighter, bad thing I equipped her with my best melee weapon to compensate (my other two pawns are shooters). After some nervous scrambling I managed to down her, but not before she chopped someone's toes off. One of my pawns has an insta-recruit inspiration so I think I'll haver her rejoin, but you're on thin ice, missy :colbert:

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

isndl posted:

It's a fake copy of the "Wanderer Joins" event. They only show up on that event, and they're guaranteed to turn traitor on a timer regardless of what is happening around them when the timer goes off, whether they're surrounded by people with guns or asleep in bed. The event also doesn't respect storyteller population thresholds, so if someone shows up randomly on an already big colony just shoot them on sight.

The mimes from Alpha Animals work similarly though won't flip on you so long as you can keep the food flowing. Their extra hunger does mean lower overall efficiency due to extra meal breaks however.

Once, I had one of those 'I am joining you, I will not take no for an answer, and if you still say no everyone will get upset for turning me away' events and she turned out to be, ideologically, a member of the Slaaneshi demon worshipers. So I figured she was an absolute shoo-in for a traitor and was keeping a close eye on her. Right after she showed up, though, I got a quest for sending a colonist away for most of a year to help another faction, so I waved her goodbye, figuring it might break her traitor routine not being here when it was supposed to trigger.

Year passes, she shows back up, and seems fine.

Two days later she gets shot in a raid and immediately changes into a Mime.

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

isndl posted:

I just reject any wanderer joins message unless it came from an ideology ritual on principle.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I hate reloading saves during a session. I'll only reload if the game crashes or I start it up from the previous session. I say this because if I wipe, then I restart. I normally don't get super far, like maybe 8-12 people and then I get a super-raider party around year 2 I'm not equipped for. I need to learn how to play this game better! But also, for advice:

-which difficulty level should I use? (I've been doing the adventure story or strive to survive, and randy random mostly, but my friends use phoebe chillax so I am trying a game with her on adventure story
)
-which storyteller is recommended? I suppose I want to be able to reach end game.

and also for playstyle:
-how does everyone manage armour? Do your melee characters wear it all the time? Do you wear all-devilstrand clothes? Flak jackets and metal helmets? Which melee weapons are recommended?
-Should I be giving my people beer/psychite tea/weed? There's that reddit guide that reddit seems to think is good, but ITT people say drugs are for selling only. I think it's set to social + also every 2 days + only below 20% mood, or something like that. But then I have like, my surgeon high on weed etc. Do you restrict it for those people, or ..????
-Is there a mod that shows you what areas of skills, you're lacking in general? Like 'you have no people with high art!' or something.

I'm getting to where I have mid-tier guns, they're raiding me with shotguns/pistols/bows/grenades, I've got a large granite wall around my base (I think it's the first time I've done that instead of wood) with wood-trap-trapped tunnels that generally take out about 2 people (maybe they should be longer?), I haven't actually made any extra armour or anything. I'm getting to around where I normally get wiped out, I'm at the start of year 2.

edit:
-What are must-have research items? Like for instance, I read ages ago that autodoors and sterile tiles are good, but autodoors take up a lot of power I think, and sterile tiles are too expensive so now I leave both of those for later. I always seem to go: 1: battery 2: solar, then drugs/beer, devilstrand, smithing, guns, machining, then not really sure what to do after that.

redreader fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 25, 2022

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Ill be honest every just wears armor all the time because I'm not an insane min maxer and if you build your base even slightly planned out the movement speed reduction is not going to be super noticeable.

Your pawns are stranded on an alien planet full of things wanting to kill them. Let them have a beer.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, armor takes way too long to put on for it to really be a hot-swap thing. Like if a drop pod raid or infestation happens your characters are never gonna be able to armor up if you have them bumbling around without it. Always keep them in it 100% of the time and invest in crafting bionic legs for everyone early to make up for the move speed penalties.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Everyone should be taking psychite tea every two days, there's literally no chance of addiction at the rate so its pure buffs. Other drugs generally aren't worth it

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Zore posted:

Yeah, armor takes way too long to put on for it to really be a hot-swap thing. Like if a drop pod raid or infestation happens your characters are never gonna be able to armor up if you have them bumbling around without it. Always keep them in it 100% of the time and invest in crafting bionic legs for everyone early to make up for the move speed penalties.

Cooking in power armor like a boss

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

pixaal posted:

Lovin' in power armor like a boss

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I realized my mod list has become an unmanageable mess and nothing is balanced for a good game anymore. I need to simplify. What is the generally accepted vanilla-plus-qol mod list? Like just things that improve the experience without changing it too much

I know this question has been asked a hundred times but I'm on mobile and searching isn't great

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Sounds like someone should make a goon approved mod list and publish it

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You may want to run multiple shifts as well if you're finding mood spirals are what's pushing you over the edge to lose bases.

Iirc the numbers are flak vest and duster with a button down and pants are best until marine armor. Idk head tbqh, I assume war mask until marine helmet to protect those eyes and the pain threshold.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

redreader posted:

I hate reloading saves during a session. I'll only reload if the game crashes or I start it up from the previous session. I say this because if I wipe, then I restart. I normally don't get super far, like maybe 8-12 people and then I get a super-raider party around year 2 I'm not equipped for. I need to learn how to play this game better! But also, for advice:

-which difficulty level should I use? (I've been doing the adventure story or strive to survive, and randy random mostly, but my friends use phoebe chillax so I am trying a game with her on adventure story
)
-which storyteller is recommended? I suppose I want to be able to reach end game.

and also for playstyle:
-how does everyone manage armour? Do your melee characters wear it all the time? Do you wear all-devilstrand clothes? Flak jackets and metal helmets? Which melee weapons are recommended?
-Should I be giving my people beer/psychite tea/weed? There's that reddit guide that reddit seems to think is good, but ITT people say drugs are for selling only. I think it's set to social + also every 2 days + only below 20% mood, or something like that. But then I have like, my surgeon high on weed etc. Do you restrict it for those people, or ..????
-Is there a mod that shows you what areas of skills, you're lacking in general? Like 'you have no people with high art!' or something.

I'm getting to where I have mid-tier guns, they're raiding me with shotguns/pistols/bows/grenades, I've got a large granite wall around my base (I think it's the first time I've done that instead of wood) with wood-trap-trapped tunnels that generally take out about 2 people (maybe they should be longer?), I haven't actually made any extra armour or anything. I'm getting to around where I normally get wiped out, I'm at the start of year 2.

edit:
-What are must-have research items? Like for instance, I read ages ago that autodoors and sterile tiles are good, but autodoors take up a lot of power I think, and sterile tiles are too expensive so now I leave both of those for later. I always seem to go: 1: battery 2: solar, then drugs/beer, devilstrand, smithing, guns, machining, then not really sure what to do after that.

Difficulty level is for tailoring your experience, if you are bored, kick it up, if you are struggling, kick it down. Storytellers don't affect difficulty so much as event timing. Cassandra will throw Big Threat events like raids or infestations at you on a regular timer with some time spaced between them, so you won't ever get a massive difficulty spike unless you do it to yourself by accepting a bunch of quests at once that all have raids associated with them. This can be good but if you're experienced with the game, this can also be boring because you know what to expect. Randy throws events at you at random. His highs are much harder and his lows are much easier, and you never know what you're going to get. Because I've played the game a bunch, I find him more interesting than Cassandra. Phoebe works like Cassandra, but with bigger gaps between threats so you have more time to stabilize or build up. You can reach endgame on any storyteller.

For armor everyone wears flak vests and flak helmets as soon as I can make them. Flak jackets and flak pants are not very good. Putting armor on takes too long so I just keep everyone in armor all the time. Melee boys transition to marine armor in the late game, and if I'm going to the ultralate game, eventually everyone in marine armor all the time.

If you're getting wiped out it probably has more to do with your killbox setup. Rimworld is a defensive game where you're frequently outnumbered, you have to construct the battlefield to give you an advantage. The traps are a start, but you really need more before long.

I do not like giving my people drugs. Most drugs cost a lot of labor to produce, give your pawns big performance penalties, and all you get out of it is a mood boost. You can get mood boosts other ways. A fancy dining room gives a 24-hour mood boost every time your pawn eats there, a fancy rec room gives a 24-hour mood boost every time your pawn relaxes there, and these boost stack, and cost you no upkeep once you've built the room. Putting some large wooden sculptures in your dining room will give you just as much of a mood buff as beer would, with no downside and no upkeep. And as you have said, drunk or high colonists are a massive liability in an emergency. In the case of psychite tea, you will get a small performance boost out of your tea, but growing/crafting/drinking psychite tea takes a LOT of labor, more than you will make back on performance boosts, so using psychite to get more out of your colonists is a negative sum endeavor. You can make some to keep around and chug in case you get a raid or really want your doctor to be on top of his game for this surgery, but keeping enough tea around to give to everyone frequently is a huge waste of work. Drugs are very good for making money, and that's all I use them for. The best drugs for selling are beer (requires relatively little pawn labor) and flake (high sale price, requires more work and research to get).

The most important research are the ones that improve your survival, and those are almost always weapons and armor. If your killbox is built around short engagement distances, the chain shotgun is by FAR the best weapon in the game to shoot for early, so rush for Gas Operation and get some chain shotguns out. Flak armor is the second highest priority. The only technology I will consider getting before those is batteries, and only if I'm in a biome without enough wood to just run a wood-powered generator. Devilstrand should either be the first research you ever do (so you can get a harvest year 1), or else be much lower priority as you're going for flak armor instead. Even a normal-quality flak vest gives 100% sharp defense to the vital organs, which devilstrand can't match, so I prefer getting those before I think about devilstrand.

Sterile tiles are good for making research go faster and improving medical results. Both are very good things, but early on just keeping the research room clean is fine.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

A simple helmet is the best for protection until power armor I'm pretty sure, though depending on climate it may be easier to just have colonists wear cowboy hats/tuques so they don't collapse after being outside too long.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I really appreciate all of the replies! looks like I am probably dying due to lack of armor, which I don't make. I only have the starter armor on my melee person generally.

I'll also look up some kill box stuff. I bet it's been completely solved.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Zore posted:

This is why you take the WW1 approach to defenses. A square box of embrasures out in the field with a sturdy door at the back connected to redundant power supplies makes for a hard (if expensive) barrier against intrusions when it's filled with turrets. Put in proper star fort/outcrops in the bunker instead and you have a frighteningly effective defense system that will take down all but massive zerg rushes. Factor in multiple layers of bunkers on the outskirts with long range turrets sniping and you've got massive casualties even if they breach the perimeter.

For halls, picking up that mod that lets you have pop out turrets is great. Especially since when powered on they double as barricades that slow down movement until destroyed. Modwise, ditto for pre-planning so that you have room to place some of the mountable turrets that can spray down a long hall. 50 bugs can't do poo poo against an AGM and a minigun platform spraying bullshit down the hall alongside the turrets acting as a stop gap. All while I have a team suiting up to literally gas the corridors if the advanced heating/ventilation (A 1x1 set of superheated air kept between the rooms stretching along the base hallways.) pipes in 500 degree air to sterilize the sector of the base. :unsmigghh:

For vanilla, literally just sealing an area off after tossing some incendiaries into the horde means that it will get incapped so long as your base is airtight in that area.

Honestly, if Rimworld had better traps you could do some downright diabolical stuff. Remote technologies alone would enable all sorts of nightmarish situations, like opening up doors into ambushes and the like as if the base is some sort of homicidal spooky haunted mansion. Shame the one big mod I found that has that has all sorts of pathing issues built into it.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 25, 2022

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I've found that layering clothes made of insect chitin works decently well if you dont have the metal for armor, but now that I've typed this out I'm not sure getting chitin is in base game.

Point is you can get pretty far using your best clothing and wearing as much as you can.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Does anyone know of a way/mod/whatever to make overhead mountain where you want? I chose the insect worshipers from expanded ideology and embarked on a flat map, now I realise I need overhead mountain to actually make a hive.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Carcer posted:

Does anyone know of a way/mod/whatever to make overhead mountain where you want? I chose the insect worshipers from expanded ideology and embarked on a flat map, now I realise I need overhead mountain to actually make a hive.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1796223954

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug
I just had a traitor timer go off while she was rescuing an alpaca right after a pirate attack right after a robot attack. She did not drop the animal or flee but instead decided to try to break down a random wall until my T1 janitor rolled up bonked her on the head with a wooden hammer and she died.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Oh hell, Evil Genius 1/2 level of traps in Rimworld, now that would be fun.
Is there anything in the game that pushes/forces pawns around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Thank you.