Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah imagine if Goku pulled out a new form he learned offscreen or just got stronger out of nowhere mid fight or even just started busting out techniques of his allies and teachers he saw One Time before using.

Vegeta should've kept doing Destructo Disks though, that ruled.

We're all gonna be mad hosed when Koichi starts shaping his energy and he turns it into All-Might as a Stand. It dramatically loses out in power compared to the real thing but he's got fists the size of mailboxes so it'll help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Mina is going to learn how to excrete other chemicals from her skin and start exploding like Bakugo.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

If you aren't ok with powers being pulled out the rear end at least once in a while quit reading shonen manga forever

Yeah, the "once in a while" seems like the operative term here. When it was just one power being pulled out, that wasn't so bad. But Koichi just kept getting new powers for the whole fight and it went past "Oh, cool!" to "...Seriously?"

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Just a cut to one of the villains horrifically burned to death from Mina’s acid, and that’s it.

Whoever is the least likable at this point

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

RareAcumen posted:

Vegeta should've kept doing Destructo Disks though, that ruled.

I feel like vegeta would have but then he heard Freeza started using it so it's verboten now

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It isn't really comparable to a new technique. It's comparable to finding unusual or new ways to use your existing technique.

It's more like how Goku can suddenly make Kamehamehas that remain where they are until he throws them or shoot them from his feet or whatever, not like Goku going Super Saiyan. It's the exact same technique used in different ways and that is a good recipe for super hype moments. (See also: Tony Hawk's Pro Kamehameha.)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It'd be like if Spider-Man decided he could just not have his webs stick to things immediately and started ricocheting them around corners or hallways or something.

Or Bakugou being able to sweat out of his feet and doing an exploding dropkick out of the blue.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

RareAcumen posted:

Or Bakugou being able to sweat out of his feet and doing an exploding dropkick out of the blue.

Okay we might be able to save the main manga

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

aren't the two big koichis powerups directly related to his friends

like his flight is basically how pops thing works and then knuckle style is pretty obvious and then the rest were just stuff he was already doing right (ultra instinct dodge and shielding with repulsion? we're there more?)

seems like it thematically tracks with it being a culmination of his experiences throughout the series and ending with the two big ones being direct references to the two people who were central to it

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

RareAcumen posted:

I mean, Deku literally leaned how to repurpose a quirk that wasn't even his to work with his feet instead of his hands. I can imagine Bakugo figuring out Explosion Murder Kick if he's ever not wearing boots.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Obtaining bullshit powerups in the middle of a battle due to the power of friendship, love, and from your mentor/sensei is like a triple shonen score, yes.

The issue for me isn't that the power-ups occurred. It's that they all occurred in the same battle that was already running long with ever-increasing scope and stakes. It gets a bit exhausting, and becomes less cool when you're saturated with upgrades.

Basically, I just have an issue with the pacing.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Apr 25, 2022

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

If anything his feet should be more sweaty

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

It'd be like if Spider-Man decided he could just not have his webs stick to things immediately and started ricocheting them around corners or hallways or something.

You do know that Spider Man does poo poo like that all the time, right?

"Oh I had a new formula of web that lets me make a boat"

And the other one would be entirely reasonable.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
bakugo's always yelling and it inadvertently regulates his body temp. kinda like how dogs pant.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

TheHan posted:

bakugo's always yelling and it inadvertently regulates his body temp. kinda like how dogs pant.

So like Anakin Skywalker, once he shuts up, he becomes infinitely more dangerous since he's instead dedicated his energy into defeating his opponent rather than belittling them?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TheHan posted:

Turns out his spit is also explosive

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Speaking of Dragonball I didn’t realize the full catalogue was available on Viz. Guess I know what I’m reading the next few weeks

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
There's also (I think it's on viz) a hilarious mini series about a guy getting isekai'd into yamcha at the beginning of dragon ball.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Each new Koichi power-up was like a Star Finger to my heart.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
https://twitter.com/volkerstime/status/1519944278319017985?s=21&t=mlJL_UhLLgM8w-yQ-SqokQ

apparently his sales were slumping during the forest training arc so he skipped doing the traitor reveal that was planned for it

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
lol at Japanese fans ruining your manga because they wanted a superhero slice of life

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I mean to be fair, the villains were just not good at that point.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Wait, forest training arc as in when they trained with Wild Wild Pussycats and when Bakugo was kidnapped? Because Jesus Christ, if so. :stare:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Lt. Lizard posted:

Wait, forest training arc as in when they trained with Wild Wild Pussycats and when Bakugo was kidnapped? Because Jesus Christ, if so. :stare:

I assume we'd have found out Aoyama was the traitor there, but the cast doesn't, and the Aoyama/Deku scene later on in the story makes a lot more sense for the reader instead of being a bizarre distraction.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah during Forest Training he suggested the Villains were coming so the ratings plummeted, and his editors encouraged him to rush the arc.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah during Forest Training he suggested the Villains were coming so the ratings plummeted, and his editors encouraged him to rush the arc.

Absolutely baffling, like the slice of life thing take it or leave it (personally I'd love it) you can't do good superhero stories without equally good rogue's gallery.

That's just like, basic super hero rules.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

skipmyseashells posted:

https://twitter.com/volkerstime/status/1519944278319017985?s=21&t=mlJL_UhLLgM8w-yQ-SqokQ

apparently his sales were slumping during the forest training arc so he skipped doing the traitor reveal that was planned for it

That explains a lot about that reveal.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

What the gently caress, I hate everything about this. :psyduck:

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
I feel bad for hori cause jump was pretty cutthroat around then when even phantom seer got the axe, a shame that the fujioshis bullied him

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Should've added a sexy villain with a tragic past and heart of gold for the fujioshis

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

hatty posted:

Should've added a sexy villain with a tragic past and heart of gold for the fujioshis

dabi’s right there!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Do people find overcooked beef jerky sexy?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
if jeff the killer gets to be a sex symbol then my man dabi and his briquette buttcheeks should get to be one too.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah it's pretty bizarre.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Do people find overcooked beef jerky sexy?

Absolutely, he's like crack for the fujioshi's who are into edgy goth boys, possibly the edgiest goth boy in the history of manga. Also, he's a drawing so people don't have to deal with how ridiculously disgusting to look at, smell and be around in general he would be.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 29, 2022

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I remember seeing an interview years ago where Horikoshi mentioned that he had ideas for a Shouji arc(and maybe a Mina one too) and now I'm wondering how many side characters had arcs or moments cut due to editorial pressure or fear of losing popularity.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
It is absolutely nuts that the entire trajectory of what wound up being a decade-long story was altered by people not sending in some loving postcards or whatever.

The character poll results alone should disqualify reader opinions on anything.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
It's Bleach all over again, incredible. :magical:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The first attack was cool. Japanese fans, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?