Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Hi everyone, I also have a code for a free iRacing (3 Months) Subscription from that racing bundle that was on humble recently. New members only and redemption by June 1st.

Let me know if you are interested and I will send you the code in a PM ASAP.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Goodbye cruel world
I'm leaving you today
Goodbye
Goodbye

Goodbye

Recommendation for the latest of the Legends mods, it's my favorite of theirs: https://thracing.de/ac-legends-gtc-60s-by-bazza/

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

GhostDog posted:

Goodbye cruel world
I'm leaving you today
Goodbye
Goodbye

Goodbye

Recommendation for the latest of the Legends mods, it's my favorite of theirs: https://thracing.de/ac-legends-gtc-60s-by-bazza/

Hahaha what track is that?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

GutBomb posted:

Hahaha what track is that?

Donington 1938: https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/donington-park-grand-prix-circuit-1938.17313/

That braking zone for that hairpin is evil, especially in these old cars. A huge hump into a downhill with a slight bend. A bit too fast, a bit too unsettled when you already need to be braking and away it goes.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly
I love how the classic Donnington went through that narrow stone arch, and I imagine that concerned drivers would ask "What if you go off track and miss the arch?" and the race director would reply "Yes that would be rather bad, so you're advised to not do anything of that sort." If drivers insisted that it was unsafe, then you'd add a few bales of hay to ensure that complainers would burn faster and suffer an extra crispy death.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

F1 2022 is releasing July 1, and the pc version is going to have VR :toot: I am not entirely sure I trust Codemasters to do VR correctly but I am excited its finally coming to F1.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Dirt Rally 2 VR is fine, not sure why this one wouldn’t be.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

necrotic posted:

Dirt Rally 2 VR is fine, not sure why this one wouldn’t be.

I find DR2 to be a pig in VR even with something of a strong system. Compared to something like iRacing it seems to need twice the resources for a given graphical fidelity.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Since the Madness Engine and SMS are now at Codemasters, what's the chance of F1 switching over at some point in the future? More importantly, what are the chances Reiza's licence contract includes them giving their improvements back to SMS? I'd love an F1 game that drives like AMS2 does now.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

GhostDog posted:

Since the Madness Engine and SMS are now at Codemasters, what's the chance of F1 switching over at some point in the future? More importantly, what are the chances Reiza's licence contract includes them giving their improvements back to SMS? I'd love an F1 game that drives like AMS2 does now.

Zero. Reiza's deal basically meant they were using the Madness Engine as the base and then forking it into their own thing based on whatever additional functionality they needed. They have no obligation to share anything they've done with EA, someone asked Renato about this on the Reiza forums when EA bought Codemasters.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Ah bummer. Thanks for the clarification.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I said come in! posted:

F1 2022 is releasing July 1, and the pc version is going to have VR :toot: I am not entirely sure I trust Codemasters to do VR correctly but I am excited its finally coming to F1.

I am so stoked for this. F1 in VR is (hopefully) gonna rule.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I am so stoked for this. F1 in VR is (hopefully) gonna rule.

It does! Have you tried last year's mercedes in iRacing (in VR)? I've driven entire seasons in F1 games and it was completely different and probably a ton more accurate in iRacing. It's great, also very challenging to manage the hybrid while driving.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’ve done a ton of iracing in VR and I love it. I’m currently in an F1 2021 league with friends and we race that weekly.

I got them hooked up with a free year of iracing and I still can’t get them to commit because “it nickel and dimes you”

My brother in Christ you just bought a direct drive wheel to race F1 2021. I can’t argue with them too much though because to race against each other in iracing we need to pay for a dedicated server.

Anyway, that’s my long explanation about why I’m excited for VR in F1 2022. I can finally race in VR against friends.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It costs like 1 dollar for two hours to host a race.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Over the last decade I've spent both far too much on iRacing but also somehow under $200 per year. I spend more than that on one single holiday.

e: worked this out, 45 cars, 40 tracks, ~$1300 plus $80 per year sub (some years less with the deep discount offers). That's not even including the multibuy and 40+ discounts. So yeah they nickel and dime you but I'd rather pay that out over years than have to decide I want to blow $500 up front. If they want to talk about real scams: do they buy the F1 games every year?

Vando fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 24, 2022

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You’re preaching to the choir. I’m hoping that friend with the DD wheel plays iracing and realizes how much better the FFB is on it and converts

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You’re preaching to the choir. I’m hoping that friend with the DD wheel plays iracing and realizes how much better the FFB is on it and converts

Hit them with a bat with these arguments written on them until they comply :colbert:

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Vando posted:

Over the last decade I've spent both far too much on iRacing but also somehow under $200 per year. I spend more than that on one single holiday.

e: worked this out, 45 cars, 40 tracks, ~$1300 plus $80 per year sub (some years less with the deep discount offers). That's not even including the multibuy and 40+ discounts. So yeah they nickel and dime you but I'd rather pay that out over years than have to decide I want to blow $500 up front. If they want to talk about real scams: do they buy the F1 games every year?

I haven't played iRacing in years at this point. But I would like to get back into it eventually when I can justify the cost again. I just really wish they let you play the content you paid for offline. Still, with all the money iRacing costs, at least they are up front about it. Seeing the mention of "Pitcoins" on the F1 games' store pages immediately puts me off. To the point where I never felt like buying any of them. I despise funcoins to the point where I will gladly pay monthly for content if it means I won't have to put up with that poo poo. Alas I'll never ever be able to convince my friends to get iRacing since they would rather pay for funcoins in games that are totally not manipulating you.

But.. at the same time iRacing is really trying to have its cake and eat it too with the whole paid content and monthly fee on top. However that discussion has been had to death a million times by now and it won't change.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I spent way too much on IRacing cars and tracks in the honeymoon phase before realizing it really isn't for me. Playing like one out of the three populated series (back when I still played it was like Skippy, GT3 and F3 I think) or having to basically adhere to a league timetable anyway just didn't work out.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Yeah, it's definitely better now there are the long free/cheap intro deals that you can just roll with for months before deciding if it's for you. Back in the day it was 'HAND OVER YOUR MONEY OR PAY :10bux: A MONTH TO DRIVE THE SOLSTICE'

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If you bought AMS2 you could drive F1 Formula Ultimate with your friends in VR right now.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I spent less than 2 hours on a real track this weekend and it cost me well over $1k (And I really don't want to calculate how much more for my own sanity).

iRacing is cheap.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

KillHour posted:

I spent less than 2 hours on a real track this weekend and it cost me well over $1k (And I really don't want to calculate how much more for my own sanity).

iRacing is cheap.

This is truth.
I'd love to do local track racing / track days. but I own a minivan. Even doing SCCA Solo stuff costs more than iRacing does. I think it's 75 bux at this point for those 4 1 min runs, Plus memebership. My local SCCA has also been reduced to 1 parking lot. it use to be 3 colleges 1 stadium and a now closed Gocart track.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Local track racing in the US every weekend is an $2K investment to win $300.

Might be an exaggeration but my local track pays $1000 to win for the modified division. 4 new tires are $250-300 a piece. Unless your a big money team you’re pissing away money. Race fuel is like $13/gallon too.

I probably have $2500 invested in iRacing with the peripherals and content I’ve bought, but that’s over 2 years.

Some of the local guys I know really well spend a thousand to make a hundred every weekend.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Douchebag posted:

Might be an exaggeration but my local track pays $1000 to win for the modified division. 4 new tires are $250-300 a piece. Unless your a big money team you’re pissing away money. Race fuel is like $13/gallon too.

I probably have $2500 invested in iRacing with the peripherals and content I’ve bought, but that’s over 2 years.

Some of the local guys I know really well spend a thousand to make a hundred every weekend.

This is probably still a massive amount of fun to take part in, but yeah the monetary investment is a black hole.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You know what they say, if you want to make a little money racing, you have to start with a lot of money

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

I said come in! posted:

This is probably still a massive amount of fun to take part in, but yeah the monetary investment is a black hole.

I’d race any of the cars I watch every Saturday in a heartbeat. It’s gotta be a blast. But at the end of every race night when I go back it’s just mind blowing how much of a money pit it is. With just as little as some fender damage, or wheels that are expired because they can only race them so many weeks in a row.

I bought a front nerf bar for a friends modified last season, it was $75 which isn’t much but most drivers don’t have friends offering that.

The INEX Legends have a tire shortage, so bunch of drivers are looking for them for this Saturday night (opening night). Impossible to find. And they have to come from INEX I think. He promised 200 tires and yeah that’s not happening. There’s gonna be kids out there on unsafe tires trying to win $300.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Over in the nascar thread someone mentioned Pacific Raceway and now I want to try it in a sim. Has anyone seen an AC version of it? Nothing came up on racedepartment.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Over in the nascar thread someone mentioned Pacific Raceway and now I want to try it in a sim. Has anyone seen an AC version of it? Nothing came up on racedepartment.

I think it might be this one: https://www.simtraxx.net/shop/product/ac-pacific-circuit-usa/

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
All of the Simtraxx tracks I tried way back (free ones) seemed to be mediocre and perpetually half-finished conversions, did that change or is that still the case?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Douchebag posted:

Plus a pickup plus a trailer plus hours spent wrenching every week. In iracing if some moron punts me I'm not spending 3 days in the garage to fix it for Saturday.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I still don't think it's super useful to compare the cost to real racing because it's really not the same, it's better to compare it to something like golf or hockey or something for the type of hobby it is.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Also true since you know you're not actually racing. But overall iracing gets you a pretty good product for a decent price. Your paying more for the tracks than you would in AMS but the online experience is well ahead of anything else.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Awesome, thanks.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Awesome, thanks.

Just checked out that track mod for PR and its definitely the right track. No idea how accurate it is since I haven't been there in person but it looks pretty close based on pictures. The detail off track is pretty low but the price is right.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Vando posted:

I still don't think it's super useful to compare the cost to real racing because it's really not the same, it's better to compare it to something like golf or hockey or something for the type of hobby it is.

Can I compare it to my Warhammer 40,000 collection? :v:

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of throwing money at things, I've been thinking about upgrading from the very basic pedals I have to load cells.

I have a T150 wheel with the bundled 2 pedal unit currently. I've always struggled with in game braking and its super frustrating.

I did a quick search and the T-LCM seems like a straightforward option. Are those a good option? Is there something else I should look into instead?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yes. These

https://fanatec.com/us-en/pedals/csl-pedals-lc

$50 cheaper, and will be as good, probably better than the TM pedals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yes. These

https://fanatec.com/us-en/pedals/csl-pedals-lc

$50 cheaper, and will be as good, probably better than the TM pedals.

That sounds good to me. Are there any compatibility issues running fanatec pedals and TM wheel?