Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

berenzen posted:

That's basically the same boat as my wife and I. We have a relatively comfortable life currently in Edmonton with pretty good rent (~1200/mo for a 2 bed 2 bath apartment), and moving to the island comes as both a cost of living increase and a ~7k/yr salary decrease. That's not even considering uprooting and rebuilding our hobbies and social networks, as our parents and hobby groups both live here.

Edmonton sucks, but don't forget that The Big One is coming. I haven't looked into it but I assume an earthquake severe enough to wreck california will do a number right up the west coast. You'll feel really foolish if that happens a week after you move here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Yeah you probably want to check a few forecasting maps before moving to the south coast of BC. Earthquake, tsunami, sea level rise. There are a few problems on the horizon.

CBC did a podcast on the big one, Fault Lines I think it was called. It’s a few years old now but I remember it being good, if you want an idea of what this earthquake will potentially look like (real bad).

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

kaom posted:

Yeah you probably want to check a few forecasting maps before moving to the south coast of BC. Earthquake, tsunami, sea level rise. There are a few problems on the horizon.

CBC did a podcast on the big one, Fault Lines I think it was called. It’s a few years old now but I remember it being good, if you want an idea of what this earthquake will potentially look like (real bad).

Didnt they also do an episode of The Nature of Things on it too? I remember watching something a few years back that went over BC (and especially Vancouver) disaster prep with regards to earthquakes, tsunamis and sea level rise and it turned out the province had been woefully neglecting it during the BC Lib years.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Isn't that earthquake one of those 'could happen tomorrow could happen a thousand years from now' sorta things.

I mean BC is going to have it's problems with sea level rise and constant wildfires but even I wouldn't bother avoiding the region because of this theoretical earthquake.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
it's more like within the next 200 years

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Well that sounds like a within 200 years from now Canada problem, gently caress it yolo build more cheap skyscrapers.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
Every day the matrix is more correct that our civilization peaked in 1999

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

EvilJoven posted:

Isn't that earthquake one of those 'could happen tomorrow could happen a thousand years from now' sorta things.

Yes

quote:

I mean BC is going to have it's problems with sea level rise and constant wildfires but even I wouldn't bother avoiding the region because of this theoretical earthquake.

Also yes. The problem from the earthquake won't be a tsunami but (aside from the initial destruction of buildings, infrastructure, services) the potential liquefaction of a huge amount of the land surrounding greater vancouver. For a fun time have a look at elevation maps around the gvrd, particularly paying attention to the elevation of all our major land routes out of the area

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Aces High posted:

Why couldn't they have gone to Jasper? It's a far drive for everyone and you're still in the mountains
Good deal on the hotel and there's not as many conference centres in Jasper. Plus, Edmonton is nearly as close to Banff as it is to Jasper, so it's not a huge time savings. Everywhere is far from the Peace Country but that's just the least of your poor decisions at that point.

This video is fantastic and anyone who's spent any time in small-town Alberta will get the feels from it.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

At least the earthquake won't be man made. Something for our descendants to feel good about as they hide in caves from the sixty degree summer days we left them as a parting gift.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

RBC posted:

it's more like within the next 200 years

"That's not how probabilities work!" he cried, jinxing the drat thing and ensuring the quake happens tomorrow

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I feel like someone from Starfleet would have warned us if an earthquake were imminent.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Don't come to southern BC. the weather may be nice but we're doomed. DOOMED!

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Facebook Aunt posted:

Don't come to southern BC. the weather may be nice but we're doomed. DOOMED!

Been loving my new battery powered leaf blower for cleaning up the cherry blossom drifts this year.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

I mean we did have that 5+ one the other day

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I live on a boat in a non-tsunami area, wrap it up land-ailiures

Xaranthius
Nov 27, 2002

Grimey Drawer

JawKnee posted:

Yes

Also yes. The problem from the earthquake won't be a tsunami but (aside from the initial destruction of buildings, infrastructure, services) the potential liquefaction of a huge amount of the land surrounding greater vancouver. For a fun time have a look at elevation maps around the gvrd, particularly paying attention to the elevation of all our major land routes out of the area

Being from Nanaimo, I have long wondered just how much of the city is going to crumble into itself from all the coal mining that happened here. Anyone know what happens to mineshafts in large earthquakes? (legit question)

edit: Specifically mines from 100-150 years ago. I'm sure modern mineshafts would be built to better withstand earthquakes.

MikeSevigny posted:

Does Sidney Bakery have sugar twists? Nobody else I know of on the island has them anymore.

I haven't been there in years so I can't say for certain. I'd suggest giving them a call? Maybe they'd make some for you on request if they dont offer them as standard fare?

Xaranthius fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 24, 2022

tired gay and dead
Apr 4, 2022

by Hand Knit

Xaranthius posted:

Being from Nanaimo, I have long wondered just how much of the city is going to crumble into itself from all the coal mining that happened here. Anyone know what happens to mineshafts in large earthquakes? (legit question)

edit: Specifically mines from 100-150 years ago. I'm sure modern mineshafts would be built to better withstand earthquakes.

I haven't been there in years so I can't say for certain. I'd suggest giving them a call? Maybe they'd make some for you on request if they dont offer them as standard fare?

Mineshafts are just holes in the ground, you need to worry about the depth of the hole and the composition of the ground rather than the shaft itself.

Nanaimo is largely built on sandstone called the "Nanaimo group", and sandstone is a perfectly fine material to build stuff on for the most part. The problem comes in when you take into account the fact that a lot of the Victoria Street area is only a couple dozen feet above old coal mining adits, which are definitely going to be a big problem when The Big One hits.

You should also worry more about the areas like downtown and the harbor that are built on the stuff they dug out of the ground and threw in the water to create more land, which have a good chance of becoming unstable if there was a big earthquake, but honestly Nanaimo isn't the worst area to be in for The Big One by a long shot. The entirety of Delta in Vancouver is built on a loving river delta, as the name implies, and the whole thing is going to liquefy and a ton of the poo poo they built on it is going to fall down. Victoria is really exposed to tsunamis from the models I've seen and Nanaimo is fairly sheltered as it's pretty far from the open ocean.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Xaranthius posted:

I wish you could still walk from the mainland to newcastle island. Bypass the ferry and take the mine shafts! Also I saw white raccoons there, cool island.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Alctel posted:

I live on a boat in a non-tsunami area, wrap it up land-ailiures

My brother is law has an oceanside property in Chilliwack. He just doesn't know it yet.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Madkal posted:

My brother is law has an oceanside property in Chilliwack. He just doesn't know it yet.

fingers crossed we only get like 30m of sea level rise instead of 60+ and I will too!

until our old rear end pbr gets torn down to build more modern condos

Xaranthius
Nov 27, 2002

Grimey Drawer

tired gay and dead posted:

Mineshafts are just holes in the ground, you need to worry about the depth of the hole and the composition of the ground rather than the shaft itself.

Nanaimo is largely built on sandstone called the "Nanaimo group", and sandstone is a perfectly fine material to build stuff on for the most part. The problem comes in when you take into account the fact that a lot of the Victoria Street area is only a couple dozen feet above old coal mining adits, which are definitely going to be a big problem when The Big One hits.

You should also worry more about the areas like downtown and the harbor that are built on the stuff they dug out of the ground and threw in the water to create more land, which have a good chance of becoming unstable if there was a big earthquake, but honestly Nanaimo isn't the worst area to be in for The Big One by a long shot. The entirety of Delta in Vancouver is built on a loving river delta, as the name implies, and the whole thing is going to liquefy and a ton of the poo poo they built on it is going to fall down. Victoria is really exposed to tsunamis from the models I've seen and Nanaimo is fairly sheltered as it's pretty far from the open ocean.

Thanks for this info! I did a quick search into the "Nanaimo group" sandstone and found this which has more info and some nice coloured graphics showing the layers.

https://web.viu.ca/earle/mal-cut/nanaimo-group.pdf

tired gay and dead
Apr 4, 2022

by Hand Knit
You might be able to find maps of the mining that was done under the city and what areas are only a half dozen metres or less above old emptied out pillar mines if you look around for them. I know the city would have them somewhere in the archives but it could be online too.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The entirety of Delta in Vancouver is built on a loving river delta, as the name implies, and the whole thing is going to liquefy and a ton of the poo poo they built on it is going to fall down. Victoria is really exposed to tsunamis from the models I've seen and Nanaimo is fairly sheltered as it's pretty far from the open ocean.

This is a common misconception. Contrary to popular belief, Delta is not a Delta. It's Richmond that's build on a Delta.

Victoria is actually fairly protected from tsunamis by the Olympic Peninsula in Washington. The place that's super-screwed is Port Alberni.

tired gay and dead
Apr 4, 2022

by Hand Knit

McGavin posted:

This is a common misconception. Contrary to popular belief, Delta is not a Delta. It's Richmond that's build on a Delta.

Victoria is actually fairly protected from tsunamis by the Olympic Peninsula in Washington. The place that's super-screwed is Port Alberni.

I would not want to be in port alberni at all, or probably anywhere else on the West of the island.

I think someone told me that about Richmond before but the name makes it hard to remember lol

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Port Alberni has a brewery now so it's not all bad. Richmond is screwed however, which is a shame because it is quite fun to bike around

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

a whole bunch of the fraser valley flood plain is at risk. But tbh almost everyone in vancouver is hosed in the event of a major earthquake, so I wouldn't worry about it all that much

now sea level rise - that is definitely going to gently caress things up

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Anything on the west coast north of Sooke will probably be scoured from the face of the earth. Port Alberni is especially bad because it's at the very tip of this giant inlet that is almost long enough to cut the island in two and basically acts as a giant funnel for tsunamis.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

~*Googles "liquifaction"*~

Oh my

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

Madkal posted:

Port Alberni has a brewery now so it's not all bad. Richmond is screwed however, which is a shame because it is quite fun to bike around

I am struck by the millennial-ness of this post

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

infernal machines posted:

~*Googles "liquifaction"*~

Oh my

Having done a short course on the science of natural disasters, the fact that soil can behave like a liquid when the forces acting on it are that intense is quite fascinating.

Also kind of despair inducing but that's future me's problem.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I mean the earthquake sounds unpleasant, but have you considered I once saw a man in a truck in Calgary? I’ll take my chances with the earthquake, thank you!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

PT6A posted:

I mean the earthquake sounds unpleasant, but have you considered I once saw a man in a truck in Calgary? I’ll take my chances with the earthquake, thank you!

I think I saw I saw snow once as well. I will stay in Vancouver.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

PT6A posted:

A lot of people would face the daily threat of death by natural disaster before they'd move to Edmonton.

Makes you think

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Noting I'd live in Vancouver any day over anywhere in Alberta, this recreation of 1700 is just bonkers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W2iUl0VB8c

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

This isn't a diss video exactly but it makes me want to get on the TTC (and off when the auto tune kicks in, nooo what are you doing)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-Ky7dQLuNg

Also pleased to learn there was a PS3 Edmonton game, I'll have to rent it from Blockbusters when I return my ReBoot VHS tapes.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!
I wish Vancouver Island would be swallowed by an earthquake so I can finally afford a house here.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I wish Vancouver Island would be swallowed by an earthquake so I can finally afford a house here.

What if it went the other way and the earthquake makes more land between Vancouver and Vancouver island.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
The year is 2039. Winnipeg Manitoba is the only city that has yet to be severely impacted by climate change. It's population has decreased by 15% since this news was announced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006

Facebook Aunt posted:

What if it went the other way and the earthquake makes more land between Vancouver and Vancouver island.

Won't be much room for houses after all the roads, parking lots and strip malls get built.