Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Re: Talisman, I think it would be faster to sit everyone down around a beautiful coffee table book of fantasy art and have everyone take turns rolling a d6, and when you roll a 6, you roll again. The first player to 100 sixes wins. You look at the book and/or drink heavily when it's not your turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Talisman-making GBS threads can be in vogue, but a long time ago, it brought me a great deal of joy as an RPG gamer breaking into boardgames. It is many people's equivalent of comfort food - nobody's going to claim that mac and cheese from the box is high cuisine, but my hackles rise a little whenever someone looks down their nose at someone who expresses a fondness for it.

Love or hate Talisman, to each their own.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Talisman and the like are amazing when you're a dumb kid with all the time in the world and spending 6 hours meandering aimlessly around a board watching random poo poo happen (or more frequently fail to happen, but you can dream!) seems like a feature rather than a bug. I won't blame anyone for dipping in the nostalgia pool, but the assessments in the last few posts are basically accurate.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

My neighbor and I had a lot of fun with it the second edition an experience generator when we were kids, but it's absolutely a terrible game if you try to play it as a game. As HP said, we pretty much ran around the board watching random poo poo happen and trying to get as powerful as possible until it was about time to go home, and then ran for the crown and promptly broke the game milling spells (2e didn't have a casting limit and we always took characters that draw new spells as they were cast). We'd declare the universe torn asunder and that was a satisfactory conclusion.

My dad HATED the game the only time I convinced him to play it with us, because it's excruciating if you're not trying to kill 3 hours watching random poo poo happen. There is (and was) better games for what it does and I certainly wouldn't recommend to anyone who didn't know exactly what they were getting themselves in to.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 24, 2022

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I have Talisman digital and even with turn skip and fast forward it takes forever to play.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Memnaelar posted:

Talisman-making GBS threads can be in vogue, but a long time ago, it brought me a great deal of joy as an RPG gamer breaking into boardgames. It is many people's equivalent of comfort food - nobody's going to claim that mac and cheese from the box is high cuisine, but my hackles rise a little whenever someone looks down their nose at someone who expresses a fondness for it.

My only problem with games like Talisman is that it doesn't respect your time, which was fine as a 10yo kid but it's unforgivable as a 40yo father.

And of course a 10yo today has better options, but that's not totally fair as a criticism.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Memnaelar posted:

is it ok to look down on Talisman as long as I don't look down on people for being fond of it

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Sister in law was selling some old furniture, so now I have a big rear end gaming table.

At 2.4m x 1.0m it's a bit of a beast, and longer than my brand new playmat lol

Perfect for 8 player TI:PoK next month :getin:

homullus posted:

is it ok to look down on Talisman as long as I don't look down on people for being fond of it

Yes bad games are bad, not the people.

Unless it's people who unironically like Monopoly - then you can be mean to them.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Infinitum posted:

Sister in law was selling some old furniture, so now I have a big rear end gaming table.

Unless it's people who unironically like Monopoly - then you can be mean to them.

Don't you have the gaming basement and the gaming nook as well? Like just unlimited gaming options.

Zkoto
Dec 9, 2004

Infinitum posted:

What playmat you get? I'm looking to get something similar for my 1.5x1.5 square table.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I'd never laughed so hard at a game before than when I first played the digital edition of Talisman with a bunch of friends. The amount of randomness in that game enabled some truly despicable acts of sabotage and unfair play, the heights of which I hadn't experienced in any game before, or since for that matter. It truly sucks as a game but I'll treasure those memories forever.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Aramoro posted:

Don't you have the gaming basement and the gaming nook as well? Like just unlimited gaming options.

Nah you're thinking of someone else. This will be my main table from now on. We've put our old table out in the shed for storage today.

Zkoto posted:

What playmat you get? I'm looking to get something similar for my 1.5x1.5 square table.

That is a Large BoardGameTables.com playmat from their recent KS.

You can order directly from their website
https://www.boardgametables.com/products/board-game-playmat

I'm very happy with it.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

homullus posted:

Ehh, I come at this from two sides. On the one hand, I don't know if "looking down on" is the best approach, since that implies a certain moral judgement and snobbery. Even if you say, "I don't look down on people who play Talisman, I just look down on Talisman" that's still sort of a sideways insult.

However, some games and mechanics, particularly those from a long time ago, are actually just bad. For instance, Roll and Move is a type of game that is typically bad because it reduces player agency, and games with lower agency are generally worse. Of course, it's not an exact science: something like Colosseum is a Roll and Move game, but for various reasons it works better than other classic Roll and Move games. You have six different nobles of varying importance to move, you can move one twice or two once each, and for some dice you an elect to move within a range instead of the exact count. You can use this flexibility to gain various rewards (Medals, Spectators) or hinder your opponents (by reducing Spectators). This all opens up the decision space, allowing the player more control and tactical/strategic opportunities. This is compared to other roll and move games where you tend to have one or possibly two choices.

I've come across many board gamers who equivocate "I like/dislike this game" and "this game is good/bad". I think we all have played some games that we recognize as good games but we don't like as a matter of taste for whatever reason, but it feels like fewer of us recognize that the reverse can be valid. You can like a game that is bad. That doesn't mean it's good. Of course, you can also just disagree that it's bad and offer evidence, but is a separate axis than like and dislike.

The important thing is the enjoyment, not some divine Platonic Ideal of Good Game. To that end, life is short and for some of us the opportunities to play games are rare. Personally, I do not wish to play bad games if I can avoid them.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I think the obvious example for this thread would be Betrayal. It's a bad game for a number of reasons, but I still enjoy it (as do a few others in this thread). I'm not going to try to argue that it's a good game though, and even as an experience generator there are countless other better options.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Infinitum posted:

That is a Large BoardGameTables.com playmat from their recent KS.

You can order directly from their website
https://www.boardgametables.com/products/board-game-playmat

I'm very happy with it.

Concur very happy with BGT large game mat. I even got mine for free from a contest so it’s double love :love:

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Infinitum posted:

Unlikely to be able to fit 18 players for Mega Civ, garbage table belongs in the trash you got taken advantage of by a loved one, shameful.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
My favorite bad game is Founders of Gloomhaven but everyone else hates it. Also I love love love Urban Sprawl, also known as the Great Chad Jensen Disappointment it seems.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Mayveena posted:

My favorite bad game is Founders of Gloomhaven but everyone else hates it. Also I love love love Urban Sprawl, also known as the Great Chad Jensen Disappointment it seems.

I only played founders once but enjoyed it well enough. I agree that it probably gets a bit more hate than it deserves.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I like Founders but most of the times I've played it I've forgotten at least one placement rule in a way that screwed the outcome

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Magnetic North posted:

Ehh, I come at this from two sides. On the one hand, I don't know if "looking down on" is the best approach, since that implies a certain moral judgement and snobbery. Even if you say, "I don't look down on people who play Talisman, I just look down on Talisman" that's still sort of a sideways insult.

However, some games and mechanics, particularly those from a long time ago, are actually just bad. For instance, Roll and Move is a type of game that is typically bad because it reduces player agency, and games with lower agency are generally worse. Of course, it's not an exact science: something like Colosseum is a Roll and Move game, but for various reasons it works better than other classic Roll and Move games. You have six different nobles of varying importance to move, you can move one twice or two once each, and for some dice you an elect to move within a range instead of the exact count. You can use this flexibility to gain various rewards (Medals, Spectators) or hinder your opponents (by reducing Spectators). This all opens up the decision space, allowing the player more control and tactical/strategic opportunities. This is compared to other roll and move games where you tend to have one or possibly two choices.

I've come across many board gamers who equivocate "I like/dislike this game" and "this game is good/bad". I think we all have played some games that we recognize as good games but we don't like as a matter of taste for whatever reason, but it feels like fewer of us recognize that the reverse can be valid. You can like a game that is bad. That doesn't mean it's good. Of course, you can also just disagree that it's bad and offer evidence, but is a separate axis than like and dislike.

The important thing is the enjoyment, not some divine Platonic Ideal of Good Game. To that end, life is short and for some of us the opportunities to play games are rare. Personally, I do not wish to play bad games if I can avoid them.

I feel comfortable saying that Talisman is a bad game (the bad kind of roll to move, some characters being incredibly strong starts, protracted endgame...and midgame...and beginning). I bought the 2nd edition when it was new and I was young and there wasn't the modern fertile middle ground between Stratego/Conquest of the Empire and quite sophisticated titles like (say) Divine Right/Republic of Rome/Civilization, and I played it a lot. I still have my copy of Talisman somewhere; nobody wants a very used, very old edition when they can get a new one with minis. Much earlier in my downward spiral into modern board games, Talisman was still fun and I felt like I was doing something good with my time when I played then-new 4th edition with friends, so I do understand how people who like it could do so. Probably still gonna trash talk the game until the end of time, though. Giving everyone a hand of cards numbered 1-6 instead of dice for movement and combat (you don't get them back until you've played them all) and giving everyone the Prophetess' draw +1 power would make it better and (I think) much shorter.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
My friends and I almost all share mid April to early may birthdays, so we try to get together at an airbnb to play boardgames for a big birthday weekend celebration.

This year we got a cabin just off the Illinois River.

Friday evening was primarily party games: For the King (and Me), Insider, Welcome To..., and Wavelenth

Saturday was Quacks of Quedlinberg, Architects of the West Kingdom, Equinox, The King's Dilemma, Unfathomable, Just One, and Fool!

We made it 12+ distance, but ultimately the hybrids won. Honestly it's a huge improvement over BSG both in theme and mechanics. Definitely putting my copy of BSG and it's expansions on the Geek Market.

On Saturday we also made homemade sushi.

Today we finished our King's Dilemma campaign, which was a vaguely anticlimactic ending but really fun none the less. I can't wait for Queen's Dilemma, then played 7 Wonders: Architects.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

FirstAidKite posted:

Basically he had almost all of the properties and I had some and he had almost all of the money and I didn't so I just sold them to him and hey, I had all the money, nobody could play anymore anyway so I won

Cool, what about the other monopoly one

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?

Mayveena posted:

I legit think that Urban Sprawl is great, and everyone I’ve played it with has enjoyed it, but it only emerges when I’m very certain about the other persons tastes.

I happily played Sneaks and Snitches multiple times.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

We stopped playing Talisman after 4 hours when nobody had made it to the middle. None of us had managed to level up more than twice either. I still love Talisman because it is so utterly stupid - this is pretty much the same reason that I enjoy Riverdale.

We also played another game, I don't know what it's called and it was all in French, but the general idea was you have a bunch of transparent cards with abstract images on them (like stick figures and shapes) and you had to assemble them to make a picture that looked like whatever clue was on the card. All of us except the French guy used Google Lens to translate the clue cards and it works really well. It was a great party game.

Also tried Wolfenstein, which is kind of interesting. It's a dungeon crawler with a bajillion minis, where the gimmick is you have to be stealthy - ending your turn in the same room as someone else generates noise, as does fighting (unless you have a silenced weapon or a melee weapon that lets you do a stealth execution), and noise causes enemies to activate. You have to have exactly 4 characters in play, though, there's no scaling for other numbers which is a shame.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

gently caress that’s alotta sushi

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

djfooboo posted:

I find it always ends up that way when you make it yourself, because it's fun to make, and lends itself to being made collaboratively, and really cheap.

On the subject of talisman, I had like 6 expansions, and I've always known it was a bad game, but it was a game I could get people to play, and so a MUCH better game than everything else.

Periodically I like to ask this thread if you've heard of any new dudes on a map / 4x games I should know about?

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

!Klams posted:

I find it always ends up that way when you make it yourself, because it's fun to make, and lends itself to being made collaboratively, and really cheap.

On the subject of talisman, I had like 6 expansions, and I've always known it was a bad game, but it was a game I could get people to play, and so a MUCH better game than everything else.

Periodically I like to ask this thread if you've heard of any new dudes on a map / 4x games I should know about?

Yeah, you don't realize how little fish it takes to make a roll until you make it yourself and are like... gently caress, what do I don't with the other 80% of the fish... Guess I'll make 4 more rolls.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Leraika posted:

Cool, what about the other monopoly one

8th grade, I wanna say before Easter break because the weather wasn't snowy but it was one of those near-break school days where the teachers just put on some movies and tell the kids to do whatever the hell they wanna do, no work or anything like that.

Sitting in social studies class, teacher has some board games available. 4 of us decided to play monopoly.

I was the ship.

Everything's going fine, smooth, all good, and then one of the players says "is that blood" and points to a few drops of red that were sitting on the board. We looked at one another trying to figure out what was happening. None of us were in any pain, none of us had any bandages on, no idea where the blood was coming from. That's when I realized I was the one bleeding.

See, remember the ship?

This motherfucker.

This motherfucker right here.

At some point during the game, I moved my piece and that part of the ship ended up sliding painlessly into this area right here, the area highlighted yellow.

Monopoly stabbed me.

I hid my finger because I didn't want anyone to get upset with me for bleeding on the game but someone else had already noticed something I didn't: my ship had my blood on it.

So they got mad at me for accidentally bleeding on the game. One of the players said "Kite, why would you do that? What if you have AIDS and I get AIDS from you bleeding on the game board?"

I felt really lovely and just kinda left them to playing the game after getting stuff cleaned up and making sure she knew that I don't have AIDS and so she does not have to worry about getting AIDS from the hypothetical Monopoly AIDS blood.

A couple classes later, we still weren't doing anything, just we weren't doing anything in the math classroom. One student and I started throwing a ball back and forth. At some point another kid, one of the other players from the monopoly game, walked up and took the ball, telling the other kid they shouldn't play with me because I'll get blood on the ball and then I'll give them AIDS.

I'd been bullied all my life so hearing stupid rumors get spread about me was hardly anything new but something about this guy walking up and telling another person "he has AIDS, if you play ball with him he's gonna bleed on the ball and give you AIDS" just pushed me over the edge. Almost a decade worth of bullying and this was the straw that broke the camel's back. So I walked up to the kid who said it and smacked him. Twice.

Apparently almost a decade's worth of bullying wasn't worth much more than a double slap.

The teacher looked horrified. The actual math teacher didn't want to be around because it was a no-teaching day so this was a substitute. The sub had it easy, just keep everything fine and smooth, so of course now she had to do more than the bare minimum because I had gone and hit another kid.

Both me and the other kid were sent to the principal's office. I told the principal what happened. Our school had a zero tolerance rule. The other kid got 2 days in-school suspension for trying to spread rumors that I had AIDS and I got 2 days out-of-school suspension for slapping his poo poo.

gently caress monopoly.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

djfooboo posted:

Frankly it was an obscene amount of sushi. And we ate it all.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

FirstAidKite posted:

8th grade, I wanna say before Easter break because the weather wasn't snowy but it was one of those near-break school days where the teachers just put on some movies and tell the kids to do whatever the hell they wanna do, no work or anything like that.

Sitting in social studies class, teacher has some board games available. 4 of us decided to play monopoly.

I was the ship.

Everything's going fine, smooth, all good, and then one of the players says "is that blood" and points to a few drops of red that were sitting on the board. We looked at one another trying to figure out what was happening. None of us were in any pain, none of us had any bandages on, no idea where the blood was coming from. That's when I realized I was the one bleeding.

See, remember the ship?

This motherfucker.

This motherfucker right here.

At some point during the game, I moved my piece and that part of the ship ended up sliding painlessly into this area right here, the area highlighted yellow.

Monopoly stabbed me.

I hid my finger because I didn't want anyone to get upset with me for bleeding on the game but someone else had already noticed something I didn't: my ship had my blood on it.

So they got mad at me for accidentally bleeding on the game. One of the players said "Kite, why would you do that? What if you have AIDS and I get AIDS from you bleeding on the game board?"

I felt really lovely and just kinda left them to playing the game after getting stuff cleaned up and making sure she knew that I don't have AIDS and so she does not have to worry about getting AIDS from the hypothetical Monopoly AIDS blood.

A couple classes later, we still weren't doing anything, just we weren't doing anything in the math classroom. One student and I started throwing a ball back and forth. At some point another kid, one of the other players from the monopoly game, walked up and took the ball, telling the other kid they shouldn't play with me because I'll get blood on the ball and then I'll give them AIDS.

I'd been bullied all my life so hearing stupid rumors get spread about me was hardly anything new but something about this guy walking up and telling another person "he has AIDS, if you play ball with him he's gonna bleed on the ball and give you AIDS" just pushed me over the edge. Almost a decade worth of bullying and this was the straw that broke the camel's back. So I walked up to the kid who said it and smacked him. Twice.

Apparently almost a decade's worth of bullying wasn't worth much more than a double slap.

The teacher looked horrified. The actual math teacher didn't want to be around because it was a no-teaching day so this was a substitute. The sub had it easy, just keep everything fine and smooth, so of course now she had to do more than the bare minimum because I had gone and hit another kid.

Both me and the other kid were sent to the principal's office. I told the principal what happened. Our school had a zero tolerance rule. The other kid got 2 days in-school suspension for trying to spread rumors that I had AIDS and I got 2 days out-of-school suspension for slapping his poo poo.

gently caress monopoly.

A physical manifestation of Monopoly’s subtext

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

A physical manifestation of Monopoly’s subtext

No, you're looking for the story of how Monopoly was created.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

gently caress monopoly.

Sounds more like "gently caress AIDS hysteria" to me.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
Without any kind of fanfare or recognition Great Western Trail is in beta on BGA so anyone can play it now. The implementation seems pretty good to me.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

OrthoTrot posted:

Without any kind of fanfare or recognition Great Western Trail is in beta on BGA so anyone can play it now. The implementation seems pretty good to me.

Implementation is excellent but I am awful at it as Nimby and encounter can attest to.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
As it's on BGA, it's worth asking: is there an undo button?

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006

Aramoro posted:

Implementation is excellent but I am awful at it as Nimby and encounter can attest to.

I've only played it once or twice before in person so I still feel like I'm learning it. I find it very hard to work out what strategy to follow until it's too late usually. If I've by some chance done something that's "worked" for the building availability and placements and worker auction I score ok. Other times I'll try something and I'm struggling to work out if it's going to all come together until it's too late to shift gears.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006

Mr. Squishy posted:

As it's on BGA, it's worth asking: is there an undo button?

Yes. Cancels the whole turn though, so you can't pick and choose. And it gives you a warning before you draw cards as part of an action that you won't be able to undo from that point.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

It's legit one of the best implementations on there. Full undo, mouseover for every building and item so you can quickly tell what does what while learning, it's real good.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
My only quibble is no mouseover text for some of the victory point numbers and the train track stops, so it's quite hard to see all of them. But in general it's very impressive that they've got as much information in as they have. It's such a dense game for information, which I hadn't appreciated until it was all there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Tried to get a copy of Ark Nova this weekend at our local game shop that I haven't been in for ~2.5 years and found out the shipment of copies was delayed (again) at the last minute. Walked out with Welcome to... The Moon instead, which we played at a friend's place and loved.