Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Anaxite posted:

Them's post game spoilers, friend. At least tag it.

Sorry, because that's a gameplay mechanic and not story related it didn't occur to me that it could be considered a spoiler. Also I thought they were replayable at any time, not just in the post game.

E: update on prev page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-
No worries. I've planned to show off the various game features as they come up, which happens to be at the end, so I was keeping it under wraps.

Anaxite fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 15, 2022

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

And now back to the Questionable Area for the real collect-a-thon, and a few interactions to wrap up.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Blah. Sam was the only really enjoyable intern.

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

The interns all seem pretty undercooked compared to your fellow campers back in 1.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

Yep. Sadly, we've seen all their major characterization. All that's left is in these cleanup/exploration videos. As far as the game is concerned not a lot of time has passed in the overworld, so not much changes at this point. For those of you who've played Psychonauts 2 already, the game has a reason why we won't get more dialogue out of the interns, but we'll get there soon enough.

A few lines or extra characterization beats would've been nice, but the game is switching our focus away from the interns.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

It really feels like they were supposed to play a larger role that had to be cut down.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

And that's (mostly) a wrap for the Questionable Area.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

Welcome back to plot.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

This is also the order I did it, despite it clearly intending you to do the barber, then bowling alley, then mailroom, despite bowling alley making the most sense to do first. This level's nice and straightforward, though pretty gross!

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Welcome to Ford's Fractured Mind.

I mentioned before that the aforementioned Compton's Cookout and Psi King's Sensorium are structured to not require completion of each other to access either and this collection of Mental Worlds is why since both are required to access two of these Mental Worlds as Anaxite noted in video.

This also makes this multi-Mental World analogous to the aforementioned Thorny Towers trio of Mental Worlds since like Cookout and Sensorium, there isn't a required order to these to the point you can do Cookout and Sensorium between segments of Fractured Mind.

In fact, I'm almost certain the game expects you to do this hence why Ford has a prominent role in both Cookout and Sensorium.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 25, 2022

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

We'll see how the three levels are different in theme and tone for sure. You won't get the complete picture from any single level, but the order you do them in changes how you interpret all the facts; it's quite clever!

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Romance broke him?

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Buller posted:

Romance broke him?

I don't think the romance itself broke him, but something else that broke him as a whole, and either the romance played a big part, or that romance was a big part of him. It could also just be a painful memory like the hidden room in Mila's Dance Party from the first game.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The game isnt particularly subtle about it but
your lover turning into maligula might do a number on someone.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

Miz Kriss posted:

I don't think the romance itself broke him, but something else that broke him as a whole, and either the romance played a big part, or that romance was a big part of him. It could also just be a painful memory like the hidden room in Mila's Dance Party from the first game.

They really didn't do too much with hidden rooms like that in this game, did they? It's not that there aren't side rooms, but nothing quite like Milla's.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
So did all the friendly 1950s germs all die then? :(

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
Yes. They are all dead. Unless you go back there using the Collective Unconscious, then they're alive again.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
point of no return.. its getting hairy

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
And this is why Anaxite did that collection video before tackling the Fractured Minds of Ford Cruller.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Apr 29, 2022

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Makes sense. I can also see why Anaxite is doing the Ford minds in this order.

The way I'm seeing the backstory is:
  • Lucy and Ford meet and begin a romance
  • Lucy's home country, Grolovia, is invaded and Lucy returns to her home country to help.
  • Grolovia is saved thanks to her, but she stays.
  • Lucy starts using her power on innocent people (the game did an amazing job at using the lice you found annoying earlier in the level for this purpose)
  • Ford and the other Psychonauts are sent to stop her.
  • ?????????
  • Ford's mind is broken, Helmut is presumed dead, but the day is saved?

Can't wait to see what the 3rd mind is gonna be.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

You've got many of the points! There are a few details that we'll see in the third part of Ford's mind :)

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

I'll let this sit for a bit before I give my thoughts. Next video, though, I'll be doing something I've been super stoked to show off.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Wait, is that last bit in the real world and no longer in Ford's mind? When did we exit Ford's mind?

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

Carbon dioxide posted:

Wait, is that last bit in the real world and no longer in Ford's mind? When did we exit Ford's mind?

Yup, it's one of the few times the game doesn't show you the transition! The fade to white at 40:35 is where we jump ahead.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

What a twist!

But when did we learn that Lucrecia is Razs great aunt?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
It's a good thing we only had 3 Fords to reintegrate here. Can you imagine if we had to do that at the summer camp? How many Fords were there?

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Ranger Ford, kitchen Ford, Boathouse Ford, laboratory Ford.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

What a twist!

I didn't catch the exact relation, but some connection was definitely alluded to by, I think, Raz's dad?

also: I really like how the way the address is written on the Raz-envlope actually looks like a drawing of Ford.

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 06:08 on May 1, 2022

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Buller posted:

I don't think Laboratory Ford counts, that's the same one Raz summons with bacon and the first Ford he entered in this game. Raz didn't have to grab a mirror shard for him, it was already placed in the mirror frame. However there was a Janitor Ford you missed so it's still four.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

What a twist!

Yeah, I'm trying to remember if there were any details or clues, but all I remember is Dad saying that Maligula was the one who cursed the Aquato family, and that Mom mentioned there being a huge rivalry or bad blood between acrobats and psychics, which is why she doesn't like them. I'll probably go back to an earlier episode and see if there's anything we missed.

I understand Raz being absolutely pissed at the plot twist. I would be too.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What a twist!

But when did we learn that something

I didn't realize that missing story beat until now. After replaying the section, the only real references I see are that in Tomb of the Sharkophagus, Raz remarks that Grandma Marona drowned in the Valermo Dam disaster, and then Ford remarks that Lucy was placed in her family. Which means that either Ford said something outside of the cutscene and we didn't get to hear it, Raz is totally spitballing due to the resemblance, or that's a small mistake by the writers. The connection comes up later in the game and it's way more impactful then. So, uh, I guess the game spoiled something that could have waited? Or I already forgot something Raz's dad said which may not have been essential dialogue anyhow.

And speaking of impactful, I overall like Ford's mind:
  • Each level isn't very big. They have their own mechanics but don't overstay their welcome.
  • You can play them in any order, and the reveals change how you see them. My order is more "start off light-hearted, and see how everything went to hell" thematically, but if you do Cruller's Correspondence first, then you immediately get the gut punch of finding out who Maligula is, and you get the sense of sadness as you work out how it all started.
  • They're thematically appropriate to what Ford is doing, yet story relevant. Seriously, Ford's Follicles is cool in how the elements are gradually built up.
  • The attentive are rewarded with light foreshadowing.

But there are some slightly sour notes...
  • The NPC conversations don't advance between the levels. If you did everything NPC-wise as soon as possible, or liked the variety at the beginning of the game, sorry; you're done, and it's because we're moving to another hub area with none of the old NPCs.
  • I'm sure we could come up with good in-game reasons why Ford's mind takes those three aspects and not anything like in Whispering Rock from the first game, but, the reasons aren't there. You're almost better off ignoring the first game. Hell, Compton's Cookoff could very well have worked for Kitchen Ford, or have some plot tie-in.
  • The plot hole as mentioned above.

Minor flaws IMO. Good levels.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Cruller's Correspondence clearly centers around how Ford lost touch with Lucy as she became Maligula - the connection is quite blatant. Strike City refers to that bowling date and how, inevitably, it led to the eventual outcome. The connection with Ford's Follicles isn't quite as obvious, but it's all about cutting away the unnecessary, bothersome parts of something to leave behind what you want, although it's quite literally all for appearance's sake and doesn't generally lead to an actual practical improvement. (Admittedly, I'm very far behind on watching the videos, so that may not be what you meant.)

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Buller posted:

whitehelm posted:

I don't think Laboratory Ford counts, that's the same one Raz summons with bacon and the first Ford he entered in this game. Raz didn't have to grab a mirror shard for him, it was already placed in the mirror frame. However there was a Janitor Ford you missed so it's still four.

Okay, so it's not much more than what's available in this game. I do wonder what we would see in each of those minds if we could explore them. Ranger Ford could be about the creation of Whispering Rock summer camp, Boathouse Ford could be about Ford and Otto (and later on Lucy) exploring the lake to dig up Psitanium, Janitor Ford I guess could be about him cleaning up after Lucy/Meligula, and Cook Ford... his love of bacon, I guess?

Mraagvpeine fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 1, 2022

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

One thing I don't quite like is how the timeline... Doesn't really make sense? I could understand Ford doing this as a young-ish man, but according to how many years have passed between the incident and now it he'd be well into his thirties... Just doesn't feel quite right to me.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

Plot twist: psitanium has aging effects on your body :v:

We never really get the age of most characters, but I'd say the Psychic six/seven calling themselves young is relative.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Anaxite posted:

Plot twist: psitanium has aging effects on your body :v:

That'd be a terrifying turn of events.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

I mean I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Psitanium is the asbestos of the Psychonauts world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

I figured that was implied in the first game :v:

Also I just realized that it makes complete sense that Ford didn't punish Hollis for scrambling her boss' brain and instead recruited her because he literally did the same thing.

In fact, all 3 of the brain scramblings we've seen so far have been for self-serving reasons: Raz wanted to go on a dangerous mission; Hollis wanted her boss to pay for stealing her work; Ford could not bear to see Lucy die, even after she destroyed so many lives.