Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Feeple posted:

I'm trying to gather up the last bits for an Ossiarch army, but I can't seem to find Arkhan the Black anymore. What happened to him?

Not even the end of the world and being turned to dust stopped Eltharion from getting his

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Ristolaz posted:

This is my dream. I want to make a tzeentch army that is 50% slaves to darkness and 25% beasts of chaos and custom heroes from the new book, and play in a league like this

The trick is to get at least three other people to hard commit to keeping the WAAC fuckery out of the league.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

The trick is to get at least three other people to hard commit to keeping the WAAC fuckery out of the league.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

We're starting a narrative league pretty quick here and playing the "if you're here to chase meta and win every single time, gently caress off" set of rules. Our gaming group basically just wants to see you lose and see how you react to losing badly.

Serious question: Is "WAAC fuckery" and "meta chasing" a thing that you have personally had bad experiences with recently in AOS? Because the number of truly oppressive, lovely to play against lists in this game is very low.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

Geisladisk posted:

Serious question: Is "WAAC fuckery" and "meta chasing" a thing that you have personally had bad experiences with recently in AOS? Because the number of truly oppressive, lovely to play against lists in this game is very low.

If we are talking path to glory, my understanding is that the points limit could be as low as 600pts, with no minimum battleline requirements. I could roll up with a lord of change and 1 unit of acolytes if I was a dickhead. Most factions could do something similar probably

abravemoose
Jul 2, 2021

Malevolent Maelstrom done. These spells are a nice break from say, the plague drones I painted previously. Easy to assemble and surfaces look good with contrast.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Feeple posted:

I'm trying to gather up the last bits for an Ossiarch army, but I can't seem to find Arkhan the Black anymore. What happened to him?

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Deathlords-Mortarchs-Arkhan

Temporarily out of stock online

He was part of the start collecting skeleton horde box if you can find one

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
any good AoS podcasts out there? I need to fill dead air at work and would like to listen to something that will motivate me to continue my stormcast paint project

btw here are some pictures of the finished models

sorry for the picture quality, still a bit new at this

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
I still enjoy Legends of the Painty Men although their release schedule was pretty erratic for a while.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Warhammer Weekly is a youtube show where they talk about AOS. It's technically videos but it is just guys talking about AOS. The only visual content is the occasional slideshow.

I really enjoy it and often listen to it while painting. The hosts are extremely knowledgeable about AOS.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

I tend to listen to AoS coach and honest wargamer (even if he annoys me at times) on youtube. Dunno about the podcasts

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
From my own attempts to find good AoS podcasts, there are no good AoS podcasts. This means there's an open market.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Sounds like the perfect opportunity for someone to start the Sigmar Badcast.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Sadly Stormcast name is already taken

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

I listen to The Mortal Realms from time to time. Also, even if it's on YouTube, 2+ Tough is worth listening to.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I believe Podcast Eternals is already taken as well.

e: I tried listening to Garagehammer but the incredibly embarrassing dwarf voice at the start of every episode was an immediate turn off. That and they seem to release, like, monthly, so they were talking about Kragnos still in the middle of AoS 3.0 dropping. There's never been a podcast as timely as the Badcast manages to be.

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Apr 26, 2022

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Well until real life struck.
Although SRM confirmed that they were recording last week so we're getting a new episode before long.

Dreamerdeceiver52
Nov 11, 2007

Good AoS podcasts seem to be few and far between.

Some of the ones I listen to are:
    Mortally Wounded
    Bush Radio - Measured Gaming
    Rune Axe Radio
    Notorious Age of Sigmar
Definitely slanted to the AU/NZ AOS scene, but they definitely aren't as dry as some of the other podcasts, especially Bush Radio :nws:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

FAQ updates for Daves of Darkness, Space lizards, Fish elves and Fire dwarves just went up:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/5cHpBQ3bwVpktyEj.pdf
https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/eknjoVpBlRa2KZUw.pdf
https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/N6S9BeaUVFYCE1NT.pdf
https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/b0Wsx6rpKlyHBoJR.pdf

Edit:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/04/27/the-daughters-of-khaine-now-indulge-in-more-powerful-blood-rites-with-fewer-re-rolls/

And like a knife stab from the dark we get our first look at the new DoK Battle tome.
Won't surprise me if it goes up for pre-order next weekend.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 27, 2022

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Didn’t they get one literally last year?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Didn’t they get one literally last year?

Yes

Im pretty annoyed that elves seem to be becoming AoS's Space Marines. At this rate the summer Order book is gonna be Lumineth.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
They forgot Stormcast exist lol

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

The Deleter posted:

They forgot Stormcast exist lol

You misspelled dwarfs (yes I know fyreslayer got a tome but gw has no idea what to do with that faction)

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I think dwarves are lame, but also yes they should probably figure out how to make Fyreslayers not dumb looking or play bad. Do they still have that stupid-looking axe throwing artillery?

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Nah that is long gone. Fyreslayers tho could make use of it since it would break the mold of that army. Gw somehow managed to work themselves into the corner with this faction's aesthetic

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Fyreslayers need some new Magmadroth-esque beasties and they honestly just need to redo most of their battleline sculpts - they all look really samey and the sculpts are just really bad, they're some of the worst "mid-action" poses modern GW has ever put out and while they look alright in a big blob on the table it's super noticeable once you start looking at them up close that they were just learning how to use CAD or had a junior artist designing them or something.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

If they are dedicated to naked dorf looks they should add girls to the group. Give me runedaughters and runemothers Grimnirdamnit.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Fyreslayers need one of the following:
  • A range expansion, probably heavy infantry of some kind and a war machine. I kinda am feeling golems of some sort and maybe a big flamethrower. Something that adds more ways to play them.
  • To be stapled onto a big revival of "classic" dwarves as a return to being Slayers, since "oops all Slayers" doesn't work without the context of what a regular dwarf looks like.
  • To be hurled into the garbage.

The big problem is what Covermeinsunshine referenced where the Fyreslayers don't have an aesthetic or gimmick that works without the context of what they were in Warhammer Fantasy. It's harder to make interesting things for them because they're basically a condensed take about dwarves. They don't have the craftsmanship angle so they don't seem to make anything. They don't have a fallen kingdom/in decline angle because everything is too new in AoS for that to fly. They just have "loves gold", "speaks funny" and "axes", and they got some big lizards stapled on. They mine stuff but we don't see what they mine for or what they do with any of the poo poo they dig up so there's no mining machinery to convert into war machines, and they're all naked so you can't get armor thats a work of art.

They're somehow even less than the lamest, most stereotypical fantasy dwarf possible! And that's impressive because for some reason nerds absolutely love that kind of dwarf!

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

I mean, this isn't exactly true because books do give more character to them but a) no one reads those b) people learn their warhammer lore through regurgitated memes so any finer points are lost on them. So without giving them stronger visual identity, there is no helping those guys out. I mean if I would have to describe them in one sentence I would say "Dwarfters of Grimnir" but that again requires further elaboration.

Covermeinsunshine fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Apr 28, 2022

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds
The issue is that Elves and Humans(stormcast) have more fully realized lines, KO and fyreslayers really seem two halves of a more complete army, and with rework you could get traditional dawi bridging the gap with artillery and rune magic. They've been lurching towards it, especially with the whole duardrazhal aspect, and honestly it was a surprise that we got another fyrslayers tome rather than a soup book.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Fyreslayers feels a bit like a relic from the flawed first edition that has languished, probably due to not being all that popular in sales so there haven't been that much of a push to fix them.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I think Fyreslayers were literally the third army released after original flavor Stormcast and Khorne mortals and it shows. GW really stepped it up for Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch and Ironjawz afterwards. Stormcast managed to shake off that early aesthetic with two waves of awesome models (soul wars and dominion) and Khorne always just looked lile Khorne but Fyreslayers got left in the dust.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Khorne at least had a dude with a flaming anvil on a chain. You don't really need anything else after that.

Seriously tho even early sce had some decent minis (lord relictor is dope imho). Sce also picked up slack a bit earlier than soul wars - vanguard chamber was a step up with less chonky and more detailed/characterful minis. imo after fyreslayers I do think every faction realesed in 1ed was a slam dunk - deepkin, magotkin, dok, sylvaneth, tzeentch and ironjawz were all cool and have healthy following to this day (even if sylvaneth kinda suck in game).

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds
I think most of it is that vulkite beserkers look like hot garbage, which ends up being most of an army. hearthguard and the heroes look pretty good, magmadroths look great, and the new flamekeeper shows that just putting a helmet on the guys works really well.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I feel like every fyreslayer model is pretty cool on its own but as a army they look like garbage because they are all that model.

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds

Geisladisk posted:

I feel like every fyreslayer model is pretty cool on its own but as a army they look like garbage because they are all that model.

I have a feeling it wouldn't be too bad if they expanded the range to include droth calvary or rune golems or even the weird slayer tech that fantasy used to have to help break up the sea of naked battle uncles. Also if half the line wasn't standing on tiptoes, like cmon man

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I dont know enough about the lore to know if this is a bad idea but bring in the chaos dwarfs and have them been corrupting the fyreslayers through the urgold and bankrolling the kharadron. Then the good guy runes, hammers and plate mail gang can come in to oppose them, field some redeemed slayers, and boom, beards for days with new options.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Yeah Mors explained it better below. But I will refer to my earlier Dwarfters of Grimnir point. Like DoK they are followers of the dead god and they devoted their society to revive him and punch chaos in the face.

Covermeinsunshine fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 28, 2022

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Wouldn’t work. Ur-gold is functionally incorruptible, because…well, the lore is actually the one thing Fyreslayers got really good right now. Fyreslayers, you see, aren’t greedy at all. Their seeking of gold is to find the secret ur-gold, because they are a death cult, a heroic death cult welded to lineal glory seekers. The ur-gold contains the trapped soul shards of Grimnir, and by releasing its power in battle, they hope to revive him, sending the shards out to recoalesce into a divine cloud that will become their god and lead to the final battle that will defeat all evil forever.

Their religious rituals surrounding goldsmithing, war and death are the coolest thing they have going for them, and even their chance of corruption is really more about addiction to channeling the divine power of Grimnir than it is about the gold itself. I’d love to see them do more with the obsession with family lines aspect but their work with the death cult aspect is actually great, especially as they delve into the finer details of how it relates to the sacred role of fire, the forge and Vulcatrix between the various lodges.

Corrupting and defiling the religion of the Fyreslayers would remove the one thing they have going that’s actually incredibly cool and unique to them compared to old Slayers. Chorfs and Fyreslayers are mirrors of each other - a heroic death cult and a villainous creation cult.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

That's all fair, my only experience with the fyreslayer lore was the Gotrek audiodrama and I don't remember much from that besides Brian Blessed and the dark elf hamming it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds
The fyreslayers are supposed to be mercenaries, and some lodges will work for anyone as long as ur-gold is up for grabs. It'd be more interesting if the rules reflected this like the sons of behemat. I think mercenaries in general were pretty fun for the short time they were in 2.0