Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
The opening cop scene of The Batman is so good.

Imagine if you were at your place of work one day when suddenly some weird guy wearing four motorcycle jackets at the same time walks in and starts staring at things without speaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Kingo Ligma posted:

We're discussing biopics that don't have the right to play the ARTIST THAT IS THE SUBJECTS music numbnuts.

No, we aren't! We're discussing biopics that had to make a legally distinct version of a real person, like the 30 Rock joke Jackie Jormp-Jomp! That's literally the thing I said that started this conversation, and then you listed off a bunch of movies that aren't that.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Aren't they also making a new Billy Joel one that won't have rights to even his name?

Fake e

quote:

A biopic about the great piano pop-rock maestro Billy Joel has received the green light despite not having any rights to the artist’s music, likeness, or even name.

Entitled Piano Man (natch), the production is coming from Michael Jai White (he of Undercover Brother 2 and Spawn fame) and his Jaigantic Studios. However, Joel’s rep told Variety that the musician is not involved in the film in any capacity, and that there’s no intention to grant the project rights to any element of Joel’s personal life story.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
This literal exact thing happened in real life, and it was loved by critics and audiences

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnKhDdzJypg

That is the noteworthy thing, not you listing a bunch of unrelated movies

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
Goddamn you are the joshest Josh in the thread.

Still got a sad boner about being poorly rated the other day I see.

It's a comedy forum,.get funny or die trying.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Aren't they also making a new Billy Joel one that won't have rights to even his name?

Fake e

This was the one I was thinking of directly, the others were a few Kingo referenced, which I guess don't count since we're getting real fuckin' accurate in the RLM related movie and television bullshitting thread.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Kingo Ligma posted:

Goddamn you are the joshest Josh in the thread.

Still got a sad boner about being poorly rated the other day I see.

It's a comedy forum,.get funny or die trying.

What the gently caress are you talking about?

infernal machines posted:

This was the one I was thinking of directly, the others were a few Kingo referenced, which I guess don't count since we're getting real fuckin' accurate in the RLM related movie and television bullshitting thread.

Yeah, we are. I didn't realize that would be so hard for some people

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Settle down Josh, this is the Shaq meat thing all over again.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
How do you expect me to watch a biopic about a musician if the rights holders don't completely change the story, the film is edited with a chainsaw, and the director has fled the country due to his many, many sex crimes

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There was also a Beatles miniseries in the early 90's about Paul and John getting the band back together before John gets killed. Or maybe he never gets killed , I don't remember. It also didn't have the rights to any Beatles songs, so they decided to never play their old stuff, only brand new stuff.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

infernal machines posted:

Settle down Josh, this is the Shaq meat thing all over again.

I am not going to let Kingo ruin the magic of Jackie Jormp-Jomp being real with his "joke" of pretending he doesn't know John C Reilly's name

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Your Gay Uncle posted:

There was also a Beatles miniseries in the early 90's about Paul and John getting the band back together before John gets killed. Or maybe he never gets killed , I don't remember. It also didn't have the rights to any Beatles songs, so they decided to never play their old stuff, only brand new stuff.

This would be hilarious if it were acted and composed by The Monkees

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I f John Lennon hadn't died he would be one of the most canceled celebrities alive today. And not just because of his personal stuff, he definitely would've released the worst rap album ever made.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Gripweed posted:

I am not going to let Kingo ruin the magic of Jackie Jormp-Jomp being real with his "joke" of pretending he doesn't know John C Reilly's name

Yeah, okay, so tell us more about the artistic merit of Turtle Dreams

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

turtle dreams josh, thats fine. josh playing the worm for the guitar song, heck that's even great. but i will never, ever forgive josh for bringing in future war for the gangs review and pretending he hadnt watched the mystery science theatre 3000 on it just before

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

That DICK! posted:

i will never, ever forgive josh for bringing in future war for the gangs review and pretending he hadnt watched the mystery science theatre 3000 on it just before

god he’s such a piece of poo poo

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

That DICK! posted:

turtle dreams josh, thats fine. josh playing the worm for the guitar song, heck that's even great. but i will never, ever forgive josh for bringing in future war for the gangs review and pretending he hadnt watched the mystery science theatre 3000 on it just before

He did the same with Space Mutiny and you know it was killing him that he couldn't make a PUNCH ROCKGROIN joke

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

I genuinely hope you have either deliberately taken non prescription medication or forgotten to take prescription medication because hoooooo boy this is some awkward posting.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Gripweed posted:

I'm assuming you mean Don Cheadle, not Terrance Howard, so this is Miles Ahead. Which very much had the rights to Miles Davis

They never put Terrance Howard in the suit because he thinks 1 = 0

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
There was the Backbeat movie around the early 90s that was a pre-fame Beatles while they were still performing in Germany with Stuart Sutcliffe, all original new music recordings from what I gather. I'm assuming that was done mostly without rights to anything and the rerecorded songs on the soundtrack were apparently all tunes that the Beatles themselves had done covers of.

As a side note to the Janis Joplin thing: Apparently in the 90s there were two different Janis movies in development, I think one with some official rights and the other based on a biography. The reason that neither got made was because neither production wanted to run the risk of having the other one ruin or steal the success of theirs in some way.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Kingo Ligma posted:

I genuinely hope you have either deliberately taken non prescription medication or forgotten to take prescription medication because hoooooo boy this is some awkward posting.

Shut up dickhead

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
WTF is going on lol

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

Shut up dickhead

No u

Also maybe if gripweed could loving link what Jenny had for dinner already we can all jerk off and calm down.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The Anime Liker posted:

WTF is going on lol

Pon Farr

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Lol nerd slap fight take 35

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Holy poo poo lmao

Hide the melee weapons

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5n28hpMFBE

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

If we don’t agree about musician biopic categorization theyyyyyyyy will kill us both

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Northman was better than The Green Knight

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Someone recently brought to my attention that my randomly generated surname is the same as a guy who got kicked out of RLM. I tried looking it up and the only thing I can discern is that he was seen as an unfunny tryhard. Who is this guy exactly and what did he do?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

Someone recently brought to my attention that my randomly generated surname is the same as a guy who got kicked out of RLM. I tried looking it up and the only thing I can discern is that he was seen as an unfunny tryhard. Who is this guy exactly and what did he do?

wow this is tragic, you took getting kicked out of RLM so hard that you've blanked it out entirely

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

AHH F/UGH posted:

Green Knight needed more naked volcano fights.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Gripweed posted:

name five movies where people sing?

Tank Girl
The Addams Family
Scream 2
Shrek
Adaptation

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

AHH F/UGH posted:

Slow down with these scalding hot takes

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Classic Gilchrist

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Gilchrist had to die so Jay could become midwestern hot

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

he was another independent filmmaker who crossed paths with the boys before they were famous and worked with them on a woeful turd called Gorilla Interrupted, which spawned the much better and more interesting How Not to Make a Movie

they had some kind of falling out which is none of anybody's business
and as they established their brand as youtube reviewers, he quietly made a name for himself as an editor, putting together, most famously The Thief and the Cobbler Recobbled Cut, and periodically appearing in news articles about some old film footage he helped restore or preserve, stuff like that

years later, 4channers stumbled across his youtube channel which had old and rare videos of Mike and Jay, and they began to wonder just who this guy was
he happened to be livestreaming his editing work, so anon went and bugged him, and, when asked about RLM, allegedly he just started spilling his guts out about years of drama from back when they used to post on the same message board- past relationships, stuff they fought over, etc

he seemed to be generally a pretty weird guy, but also not really a bad guy, just kind of a dweeb who happened to be the Pete Best of Red Letter Media, earning him the affectionate sobriquet "Classic Gilchrist"
tragically, despite his lifelong aspirations as a filmmaker and film preservationist, his legacy for most people is that one evening while editing a film he gave depraved internet freaks the sordid behind-the-scenes interpersonal drama they desperately craved about some strangers from Milwaukee that they don't know who happen to make youtube videos they enjoy

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
he's also forums user tygerbug, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Gilchrist is now living his best life doing art for NES ROM hacks.

https://www.romhacking.net/community/6297/