Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Turbinosamente posted:

Eh I'm not on the ball today either; I've been stumbling around in the attachments/guilt/will I really miss this/it's too expensive to rebuy etc. loop that everyone I think falls into at one time or another doing this. Which is why I'm glad I stumbled upon something that's easy for me to send out the door today. And FWIW I never read Kondo's book or saw the Netflix show, just gleaned enough from google and a couple free video demos of her clothes folding techniques, very handy if you need to compact clothes.

Overall I've found the idea of only keeping or buying things that serve a purpose and holding out for the items you really want to be the most useful tactics in dealing with my stuff; heck half of that is the underlying idea behind minimalism as a lifestyle. Doesn't help too much with the attachments though, and it still takes me a bit to come to terms with my purchasing mistakes. I will also probably never have all the flat surfaces in my house completely free of items either.

Purchasing mistakes are the ones i find easiest to move on from. I just have too many things with an emotional attachment to move on from. This is even after a few rounds of selling, donating, or trashing many items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Queen Victorian posted:

As for methods of decluttering, I've been meaning to get into Marie Kondo because she seems to have the only popular method that doesn't have a "purge" mentality, which stress me out thanks to negative childhood experiences around purging.

ZombieCrew posted:

Purchasing mistakes are the ones i find easiest to move on from. I just have too many things with an emotional attachment to move on from. This is even after a few rounds of selling, donating, or trashing many items.
I really enjoyed Kondo's Netflix show because the way she lets go of stuff feels very respectful to the emotional attachment without shaming. She thanks each item, honors the memories made with it, then lets it go. And while I found the documentary by The Minimalists dudes to be more than a little insufferable, some of the strategies were helpful.

I've found the best way to help get rid of items that I have an emotional attachment to but don't actually have a use for is to digitize. I scan and upload things like boxes of old photos, some of my kids' bajillion drawings and report cards, medical records, etc. For non-paper goods, like lumpy pottery my kid made or quilts my grandma gifted but are scratchy, I just take photos and upload them to a google photos album so I can still enjoy seeing them without having the physical clutter.

Turbinosamente posted:

Overall I've found the idea of only keeping or buying things that serve a purpose and holding out for the items you really want to be the most useful tactics in dealing with my stuff; heck half of that is the underlying idea behind minimalism as a lifestyle. Doesn't help too much with the attachments though, and it still takes me a bit to come to terms with my purchasing mistakes. I will also probably never have all the flat surfaces in my house completely free of items either.
I like the strategy of putting stuff you're not quite ready to part with into a bin and stashing it away in a garage/basement/closet. Mark your calendar and if you don't touch it for 6 months, then you know you don't actually need it and were never going to rebuy it.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

amethystbliss posted:

I like the strategy of putting stuff you're not quite ready to part with into a bin and stashing it away in a garage/basement/closet. Mark your calendar and if you don't touch it for 6 months, then you know you don't actually need it and were never going to rebuy it.

If only I had the storage space to do that, lol. I keep stumbling into the forgotten poo poo in the closets etc, but it's not all my poo poo, so I can't just get rid of the things that aren't mine. The full disclosure is that yes, I am still living with my parents, but have more concrete plans to be buying my own house and moving in the next 1 to 2 years. It's why I decided to dip into the interior design threads to get ideas on how to furnish a house and tie things together visually since I already own a wide range of disparate things.

I'm still decluttering my poo poo now because I know I have excess crap squirreled away that's not worth the effort to move and it gives me extra time to sort it out. I've even sold some stuff that was worthwhile to do so because a little bit of extra cash never hurt.

The other part is it gives me a chance to start cultivating good spending habits because I have had a tendency in the past to settle for the "good enough" and stop gap items now, over waiting for what I really want. It's why that part of minimalism appeals to me, but I agree that those going overboard on it can be insufferable; especially if they have a vested interest in selling you on the idea.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

amethystbliss posted:

I really enjoyed Kondo's Netflix show because the way she lets go of stuff feels very respectful to the emotional attachment without shaming. She thanks each item, honors the memories made with it, then lets it go.

Yeah this is the part that I really like. I initially wrote about some of my hang ups in my previous post but took it out because it felt too E/N, but in a nutshell, I tend to develop strong sentimental attachments to things, and purge-style decluttering always felt destructive and disrespectful to me. So the idea of honoring your old things and respectfully letting go kind of blew my mind because for the longest time I thought I was a total weirdo for being bothered by the act unceremoniously throwing things away and how disrespectful it felt. Now I need to actually go practice it...

In the meantime, I've found that the best clutter mitigation for me is not buying clutter-inducing poo poo in the first place. If I'm to buy a thing, it needs to serve a purpose that I've previously identified, so that generally means functional items only and no useless "accent" items (excepting sentimental objects already in my possession that I want to display). Like a while ago I realized we didn't have a central location for storing bread products, which we'd been putting in random inconsistent places, so I bought a basket from Crate & Barrel and it's been lovely. It solved a specific problem, looks good, and can be used for other purposes, like outdoor serving, as needed.

Another good opportunity for decluttering is refitting/repurposing a room, which more or less forces you to remove everything from it, clean it, and put things back in a thoughtful way and if something no longer fits/works in the room, discard/store/reallocate it.

I did this fairly recently with one of our attic rooms. I'd claimed it as a studio/office/craft room for myself and filled it with boxes of my stuff to be unpacked/organized. Then a few months after we moved in, we got burglarized and the room was ransacked and had things stolen from it. I made an even bigger mess trying to figure out what had been stolen, and afterwards avoided the room altogether because it gave me bad vibes, not to mention it was a giant, stress-inducing, hoarder-grade mess. But last Thanksgiving we had some extra houseguests and needed a second guest room, which forced me to confront the mess, sort through things, add furniture, and generally make it into a cute and, more importantly, functional room. And now one of our cats has decided it is Her Room and hangs out in it all the time :3: (and since it's on the third floor, the windows look out into the trees for prime bird and squirrel watching).

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

An important thing: Marie Kondo's "deal with everything in a category at once" can be overwhelming. If I put all the clothes in my closet on the bed, I wouldn't be able to sleep that night, because there wouldn't be time to process all of it. (Working on it.)

For me, "pick something small and fix it" is easier both emotionally and physically. Today I unpack one box. Today I fix the stuff under the bathroom sink. Taking nibbles gets you to the end, too.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Coronatae, the magic words are "faux bamboo". I added "1980s" in my googling because that was my guess at the date. Check this out, for instance.
https://www.chairish.com/product/4704546/mid-20th-century-palm-beach-regency-faux-bamboo-extendable-dining-table, "Chinese Chippendale" brings up similar results. Your set might have been Thomasville, because (again according to googling) they were doing a lot of faux bamboo in the 1980s, and it's a major American furniture producer. You can look at the back of the china cabinet for a label.

Thank you for this! I like this a lot :)

Inre: hoarding and purging, we talked and I think there's a little less emotional turmoil around the figurines than there used to be.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Arsenic Lupin posted:

An important thing: Marie Kondo's "deal with everything in a category at once" can be overwhelming. If I put all the clothes in my closet on the bed, I wouldn't be able to sleep that night, because there wouldn't be time to process all of it. (Working on it.)

For me, "pick something small and fix it" is easier both emotionally and physically. Today I unpack one box. Today I fix the stuff under the bathroom sink. Taking nibbles gets you to the end, too.

You could break those categories up too. Instead of "everything in the closet" it can be "lets work through coats and, if i have time and energy, pants" or whatever categories make sense at the time.

amethystbliss posted:

I really enjoyed Kondo's Netflix show because the way she lets go of stuff feels very respectful to the emotional attachment without shaming. She thanks each item, honors the memories made with it, then lets it go. And while I found the documentary by The Minimalists dudes to be more than a little insufferable, some of the strategies were helpful.

I've found the best way to help get rid of items that I have an emotional attachment to but don't actually have a use for is to digitize. I scan and upload things like boxes of old photos, some of my kids' bajillion drawings and report cards, medical records, etc. For non-paper goods, like lumpy pottery my kid made or quilts my grandma gifted but are scratchy, I just take photos and upload them to a google photos album so I can still enjoy seeing them without having the physical clutter.

Yeah, ill have to employ the "stow until ready" method. I think I've gone through everything im mentally ready for at this time. Pictures will suck because of how much there is. At least I get to toss the vacation pictures of places ive never been. Not to make anyone uncomfortable or make it a sob story, but I've been dealing with the personal effects of most of my family. No one in my family told me we were playing Highlander. It has not been fun.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
That sucks ZombieCrew, sorry to hear that. I've got the luxury of being able to chip away at it in tiny pieces, and it does work, it just takes a really long time. And hey all my complaining got me to clean out some comic books today, and I got like a foot of shelf space back in a cabinet. Which was promptly filled with books that weren't properly stacked in there but I can see what everything is now!

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Looking for the thread's opinion on this. I'm slowly trying to furnish my house purposefully, and focusing on seating in the living room. Would these chairs mesh okay in this space?

(Note, the glider and ottoman, and that cheap lamp, will eventually be removed, they're just there out of lack of other options for now)

In case it's helpful, here's how it looked with the previous owner, who had better taste than me.

However, I'm looking to stick with leather (easiest to manage dog fur), and I like the tufted look, just not sure if those chairs are too big\tall or gaudy\shiny for the space. I like the low sit of the couch too - the space is for sipping whiskey and listening to records, so other suggestions of chair types that would work better is appreciated.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

marjorie posted:

Looking for the thread's opinion on this. I'm slowly trying to furnish my house purposefully, and focusing on seating in the living room. Would these chairs mesh okay in this space?

(Note, the glider and ottoman, and that cheap lamp, will eventually be removed, they're just there out of lack of other options for now)

In case it's helpful, here's how it looked with the previous owner, who had better taste than me.

However, I'm looking to stick with leather (easiest to manage dog fur), and I like the tufted look, just not sure if those chairs are too big\tall or gaudy\shiny for the space. I like the low sit of the couch too - the space is for sipping whiskey and listening to records, so other suggestions of chair types that would work better is appreciated.

I think those chairs are too tall for that room. The windows are the best feature and they would block them

marjorie
May 4, 2014

BigFactory posted:

I think those chairs are too tall for that room. The windows are the best feature and they would block them

I agree with you about the windows. I was a dummy and didn't realize they actually had dimensions in the listing - the photos may be a bit misleading because it seems they're almost exactly the same floor-to-seat height and only about an inch taller in total height than the glider. However, I recognize that these would have a full back at that height instead of the posts of the glider. If I put them kinda in front\angled relative to the couch (like, the first one about where the glider is but moved back toward the wall the fireplace is on a bit, and the second at a similar angle relative to the opposite arm of the couch), do you think that would still overwhelm the space? Should I strictly be looking at lowboys like this?

(I don't know that I'd go for those because they kinda look wonky and cheaply made, though I may go check them out)

I also like this, but they want $1k and that seems excessive.

E: I could also go funky with this chair:

marjorie fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 22, 2022

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

marjorie posted:

I agree with you about the windows. I was a dummy and didn't realize they actually had dimensions in the listing - the photos may be a bit misleading because it seems they're almost exactly the same floor-to-seat height and only about an inch taller in total height than the glider. However, I recognize that these would have a full back at that height instead of the posts of the glider. If I put them kinda in front\angled relative to the couch (like, the first one about where the glider is but moved back toward the wall the fireplace is on a bit, and the second at a similar angle relative to the opposite arm of the couch), do you think that would still overwhelm the space? Should I strictly be looking at lowboys like this?

(I don't know that I'd go for those because they kinda look wonky and cheaply made, though I may go check them out)

I also like this, but they want $1k and that seems excessive.

E: I could also go funky with this chair:

I think I hate that last chair the least. It would add some color to the room. The picture you took doesn’t do it any favors compared to the artificially bright one from the real estate listing, but you still need to brighten it up. Or go way darker. One or the other. And get a rug.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

BigFactory posted:

I think I hate that last chair the least. It would add some color to the room. The picture you took doesn’t do it any favors compared to the artificially bright one from the real estate listing, but you still need to brighten it up. Or go way darker. One or the other. And get a rug.

Haha, well hating the least is kinda damning praise - any ideas on an alternative style I should be targeting? Or are my constraints (leather, the existing couch, trolling for used stuff because of budget) just not appealing?

The photo I took is certainly poor quality - a quick snap with my old phone and no light since the shades are drawn. That being said, I agree about the pop of colour being ideal. Especially if I end up mismatching chairs. And agree on the rug, but seating is a little more immediate need, so focusing on that first.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

marjorie posted:

Haha, well hating the least is kinda damning praise - any ideas on an alternative style I should be targeting? Or are my constraints (leather, the existing couch, trolling for used stuff because of budget) just not appealing?

The photo I took is certainly poor quality - a quick snap with my old phone and no light since the shades are drawn. That being said, I agree about the pop of colour being ideal. Especially if I end up mismatching chairs. And agree on the rug, but seating is a little more immediate need, so focusing on that first.

You can sit on a rug.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

BigFactory posted:

You can sit on a rug.

Haha yeah, I suppose that's marginally more comfortable than sitting on hardwood?

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Okay, I bought some chairs, guess I'm doubling down on dark!

Ultimately, they won me over because they're incredibly comfortable and I guess that's more important to me than looks (though I think they look pretty cool too). I think I'll end up putting them in the space near the piano rather than in front of the couch, though - I'll just create a second little seating area there.

E: y'all, I could've done worse, look what just popped up on my feed

marjorie fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 23, 2022

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

What software y’all use to plan out spaces?

Love free software, excited for hot goon recommendations.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Graph paper, tracing paper, and architectural stencils.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

a couple of chairs came in around $5K each and sold within hours of listing. DGMW, there was a lot of Ikea.

Kids these days love the vintage Ikea too. If you have the right pieces you could easily get a few grand. https://billy.forsale/

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

floorplanner.com is good enough for me

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Queen Victorian posted:

Graph paper, tracing paper, and architectural stencils.

Quit showing off :mad:

Anne Whateley posted:

floorplanner.com is good enough for me

Thank you friend :)

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Would this be the right thread for furniture appraisal?

My parents got married in 1969 and either later that year, or the next year they were gifted a pair of Queen Anne chairs, one is a wingback and the other is similar but not wingbacked so I guess it's an armchair? Anyway the wingback is similar to this (and the other has a curved back sans wings):

Dad doesn't want these chairs any more, he's interested in getting a new La-Z-Boy and he wants to sell these to pay for it. I offered to buy them and he said he'd love to see them stay in the family. What would be a good way to find out their ballpark venue? I want to give him a fair price.

Anne Whateley posted:

Like $20-100 probably. Do you have any reason to think they were exceptional at the time vs. being mass-produced? You mean they were made around 1970, right, not given to them as antiques?

The style isn't widely popular now (which is what's driving the value of MCM) and you can find tons of it on craigslist or facebook marketplace, more in the last couple years due to the increased rate of dead grandmas. Sorry.

If my assumptions are incorrect, you could flip them over and look for a maker, and/or take them to a furniture appraiser / antiques dealer.

Thanks to Anne Whateley and everyone else who chimed in. I had lunch with my dad today and asked him when the chairs were made, he says late 19th or early 20th century, they had previously belonged to his then-boss's mother in law. However, in addition to being reupholstered they've also had some (or maybe all?) of the legs replaced. Should I have an appraiser look at them?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Thanks to Anne Whateley and everyone else who chimed in. I had lunch with my dad today and asked him when the chairs were made, he says late 19th or early 20th century, they had previously belonged to his then-boss's mother in law. However, in addition to being reupholstered they've also had some (or maybe all?) of the legs replaced. Should I have an appraiser look at them?

They’re only worth something to you

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Help me thread!!!

My pad: small one bedroom, one bathroom condo. Total sq footage about 500 ish.

What I'd like to do: paint the walls in the "main room" (living/dining room) kitchen and bedroom.
Replace the floors in the main room with some sort of new hardwood floor product. Keep the floors in the bedroom, at least for the time being.
Put new doors on the kitchen cabinets and drawers.

Pay someone else or DIY? Probably pay for floors and maybe cabinet stuff. *might* do some of the painting myself, like the bedroom maybe.

Goals: Keep "grandma's curtains" and the tiles in the kitchen, countertops etc, so in other words do the minimal amount that needs doing as I don't have the cash for a complete renovation of this place.

Walls
A couple years back I had to get my plumbing replaced. Because I was pretty broke at the time and that cost a lot of money, I didn't have a lot of cash for extras, like paint matching where they cut holes in my walls. Luckily most of the places where tey cut holes are white, and the default "its fixed" paint they used was white.
But in my living/dining room I have two patches about 2 feet wide and 3 feet high where they are painted white, but the rest of the wall is what my friend refers to as "baby puke green". I guess its kinda like some sort of Avocado green-ish like thing.

Floors
Back around christmas, I was away for a couple days, and when I came back, my floors were lumpy in a spot in the "dining" part of the main room and it turns out my dishwasher had been leaking. It was a really small slow leak, and while I my or may not have noticed it had I been around the damage was already done, the floors were lumpy in the one corner as the wood product had absorbed a bunch of water and swelled up. This place its about 12 years old now, and the odds of me finding something that will match close enough that I won't notice are pretty slim so I figure I might as well replace them.

Cupboards/drawers This is less of a priority but I'd just like to get new cupboard doors and faces on the drawers. The plastic woodgrain looking poo poo on some of them is starting to separate/chip/peel off a bit. Its not super noticeable but I'd like to get them replaced with something a bit better quality. I've mentioned this in some other threads maybe, but my place is like the bargain basement, groundfloor small rear end, poverty spec condo. I'm not looking to swank it up in to a high class whore house looking place, but I'd like to make it look "nice"

I have horrible fashion sense/style so I'm looking to go with a white/offwhite/eggshell/almond type colour for the walls in both the kitchen, and Lr/Dr. Probably in my Bedroom too. I'm not looking to do anything trendy, at least not on purpose. What I am hoping for is to brighten things up and I figure that lighter walls would work well for that.

Pictures are attached, but I'm an awful photographer so you might not get that good of an idea.

First pic is my floors that got hosed up from the water leak.
Behind that paneling in the top left corner of the pic is my dishwasher. Thats where the leak came from. Behind that/ under the Dishwasher and kitchen cabinets are tiles so no need to replace them

Next up is the patches on my wall.

Long wall in my lr/dr. You can see the floors in it, and also the gold grandma curtains that I'm hoping won't clash with whatever I choose to put on the floors and walls, cause gently caress that I ain't getting rid of them bitches.

Kitchen cupboards that I'd like to get new doors on. These aren't the only ones, but I didn't feel it necessary to take pics of the others since they're pretty much the same colours.

But you can see a couple of them in this pic.

Transition from lr/dr to bedroom.
On the right (the wider planks) is the lr/dr and left (narrow planks) is the bedroom.
I don't know why they used the different width stuff for the different rooms but it doesn't bug me that much.

random thoughts about the whole thing
Floors:
After having to deal with the water issues, I think I'd prefer to get the "vinyl hardwood" rather than something thats made of wood, or pressed saw dust. It will probably cost more but I'm willing to spend a few more bucks on it. I haven't taken measurements, but I estimate that the main room of my place is maybe like 300 sqft, so if that stuff costs an extra buck or two per square foot thats fine. Its not increasing the cost substantially.
Colour. I don't know if its currently trendy or not, but I *do* happen to like some of the darker flooring that I've been seeing in places lately. I also don't know how it may or may not clash with my future white/off white/eggshell walls, or my 70's grandma pimp curtains. OR, how it would look when butted up against the flooring in my bedroom at the doorway. Maybe that would look whack as gently caress. Totally willing to go with something of a similar colour to what I have now, particularly if its something that doesn't go out of style easily.

Paint:
Like I mentioned, hoping to get some sort of white-like colour to brighten the place up a bit. I'm sure it will show everything (dirt etc) more prominently, but I'm willing to deal with that. I try to keep the place fairly clean, and its not like I'm constantly touching the walls and getting poo poo all over them.
The wall at the end of the kitchen however: its right beside the stove. White will probably look bad with cooking related poo poo splashed on it. I don't cook a lot of stuff on the stove top and even less of that is bubbly frying pan poo poo like bacon or whatever, but I'm being realistic here, its probably going to get cooking debris on it. I can probably find some sort of decent looking plastic splash guard type thing to put on there maybe.

Paint in the bedroom, I didn't post any pics in there because I don't want y'all to see my gently caress dungeon figured it wasn't that necessary, all I want to do with it is paint. Currently its some sort of light pale pink. My masculinity isn't offended by it but again I hope to brighten it up a bit. My same friend who called my other walls "baby puke green" also said that going with just straight up white would be kinda whack in there, and suggested the off whites or whatever.

In the third pic I posted you can see the panel on the wall with the deer looking thing is. Thats where the previous owners had their tv mounted.The shelf underneath had a cable box, dvd player etc... I'm not a mount the TV on the wall kind of guy. At least not now, or for the foreseeable future. So I'm trying to figure out what to do with that. I've thought of painting it the same colour as the rest of the walls and then maybe making a frame around the outside edges that sticks out 8-10 inches and then putting some shelves inside the frame and putting up family photos and other random trinkets. Neat idea? MEH idea?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I have no advice but I do have accolades; that's a great effort post and I look forward to seeing how your journey goes.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
If you want to do the painting yourself and you aren’t much of a painter, white is probably the easiest color to pick because you don’t really have to worry about cutting in perfectly on the ceiling

And I don’t think your cabinets are that bad. I would keep the cabinets and get rid of those horrible curtains

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 24, 2022

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

BigFactory posted:

If you want to do the painting yourself and you aren’t much of a painter, white is probably the easiest color to pick because you don’t really have to worry about cutting in perfectly on the ceiling

And I don’t think your cabinets are that bad. I would keep the cabinets and get rid of those horrible curtains

My baseboards, door frames and doors are white too. I'd save a lot of time masking. Just have to cover the floor..

:colbert: the curtains are staying.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I also think the floor is pretty decent except for the water damage.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Some real avocado/matcha green could be nice.
I'd add some vinyl stickers of flowers to the cabinet to make it more grandma-y.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I also think the floor is pretty decent except for the water damage.

Yeah, its got some scratches and whatnot, but its condition is probably just "somewhere abouts 12 years old and normal wear" or however old it is, rather than "holy gently caress its hosed up and needs to be replaced". I doubt I'd find something that would match close enough to not be noticeable though. Even if I could find something thats really close to a perfect match, it might still bug the poo poo out of me that its new and some is old.

But then I could replace those, and a few years later replace some more, and then eventually have the floor of Theseus.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

wesleywillis posted:

:colbert: the curtains are staying.

Why?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
You can get perfectly good curtains for cheap, buying new ones won't be a drop in the bucket

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I happen to like my curtains.

Does anybody have any input in to anything else in my post?
Like would a dark floor look awful, butted up against the lighter one in the doorway to the bedroom for example? (It probably would, but I don't know poo poo about poo poo)
Would any of the various shades of white on the walls look bad if I replaced the floor with something of a similar colour to what is there now?
Does anyone have recommendations for a product to put up beside the stove to keep the wall from getting too messed up when cooking on the stove top, or do I just go to the hardware store and get a small tarp? :v:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
That's a backsplash. You could DIY a real one for not too much money and trouble. The extremely cheap version is aluminum foil secured with painters' tape. Don't use a tarp or anything else that could possibly catch on fire. Usually for kitchens you do high-gloss paint throughout because it's easier to clean, so that will also help to a degree.

All the questions about colors are basically just a matter of taste. There's no reason not to paint your bedroom pure white if that's what you like. Dark wood floors and white walls are totally fine, dark wood and white paint in general are a very popular combination right now. If you can get closer to what you like, you can be like "hey does this carnation pink go with avocado green?" and get more useful feedback here.

Kitchen cabinets are just stupidly expensive for whatever reason. Ikea is supposed to be cheaper, but iirc they're all in metric, so it's unlikely to match their doors to existing boxes. If I knew a dude with a table saw, I would just cut down high-quality plywood and paint them tbh.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

You can get backsplash stickers, or aluminum shields (splatter screens) that make a little wall around the burner(s).

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Do you know a reliable vendor for either? Neither my sink nor my stove have backsplashes. Nowadays I'm really reluctant to use Amazon because of all the shady Alibaba drop-shippers.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I live outside the US so my local stores are different, but Home Depot .com shows lots of results for "peel and stick tile" or "peel and stick wall decal" that can cover a whole wall. IKEA has shelf and custom options.

However, I don't see any of these cheapo oil splatter guards, which are super common here. I have a one-pot splatter screen that I use around the fryer.
https://search.rakuten.co.jp/search/mall/%E3%83%AC%E3%83%B3%E3%82%B8%E3%82%AC%E3%83%BC%E3%83%89+%E3%82%A2%E3%83%AB%E3%83%9F/

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
That's interesting, I don't think those are common at all in the US. But I searched for "standing oil splatter guard" and they're definitely sold here, I've just never seen one irl.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

wesleywillis posted:

Help me thread!!!

My pad: small one bedroom, one bathroom condo. Total sq footage about 500 ish.

What I'd like to do: paint the walls in the "main room" (living/dining room) kitchen and bedroom.
Replace the floors in the main room with some sort of new hardwood floor product. Keep the floors in the bedroom, at least for the time being.
Put new doors on the kitchen cabinets and drawers.

Pay someone else or DIY? Probably pay fo floors and maybe cabinet stuff. *might* do some of the painting myself, like the bedroom maybe.

Goals: Keep "grandma's curtains" and the tiles in the kitchen, countertops etc, so in other words do the minimal amount that needs doing as I don't have the cash for a complete renovation of this place.

It comes down to three things. Are you handy? Do you have the tools? Are you willing to do the work in a timely fashion that doesnt cause you stress for, possibly, years. I remodeled a bathroom once...it took a while. It looks ok. I know where all the imperfections are tho.

Cabinets could just be sanded and painted depending on the current finish. You can also go the home depot and have them replace the doors.

Floors could be sanded and refinished if they are hardwood. They look like hardwood. Depends on the extent of water damage. This is one i would contract out since it requires a few expensive one time use tools for a home owner. If its old laminate boards, you can tear it out and replace it with another laminate pretty easily if you have a chop saw. There are some that just snap together, which look decent. They dont sound like wood when you walk on them though.

The painting you can certainly do on your own. Buy a nice brush to do the trim. Quality matters here. I have no opinion on color, but that is a very yellow appt. Anything would be better than the current color.

Keep the curtains. Maybe open them?

You could put up a stainless steel back splash by the stove or tile it in. Whatever you decide on just make sure its easy to clean, doesnt mind heat, and doesnt stain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Anne Whateley posted:

That's a backsplash. You could DIY a real one for not too much money and trouble. The extremely cheap version is aluminum foil secured with painters' tape. Don't use a tarp or anything else that could possibly catch on fire. Usually for kitchens you do high-gloss paint throughout because it's easier to clean, so that will also help to a degree.

All the questions about colors are basically just a matter of taste. There's no reason not to paint your bedroom pure white if that's what you like. Dark wood floors and white walls are totally fine, dark wood and white paint in general are a very popular combination right now. If you can get closer to what you like, you can be like "hey does this carnation pink go with avocado green?" and get more useful feedback here.

Kitchen cabinets are just stupidly expensive for whatever reason. Ikea is supposed to be cheaper, but iirc they're all in metric, so it's unlikely to match their doors to existing boxes. If I knew a dude with a table saw, I would just cut down high-quality plywood and paint them tbh.

Good point about the backsplash. The tarp was a joke obvs. I do like the idea if making my own backsplash from metal. I like metal working and could probably get a piece of Stainless steel for not too much, bend it up and have something swanky that I can (somehow) attach to the wall.
The high gloss paint makes sense too. I guess its easier to clean because its smoother or something.

ZombieCrew posted:

It comes down to three things. Are you handy? Do you have the tools? Are you willing to do the work in a timely fashion that doesnt cause you stress for, possibly, years. I remodeled a bathroom once...it took a while. It looks ok. I know where all the imperfections are tho.

Cabinets could just be sanded and painted depending on the current finish. You can also go the home depot and have them replace the doors.

Floors could be sanded and refinished if they are hardwood. They look like hardwood. Depends on the extent of water damage. This is one i would contract out since it requires a few expensive one time use tools for a home owner. If its old laminate boards, you can tear it out and replace it with another laminate pretty easily if you have a chop saw. There are some that just snap together, which look decent. They dont sound like wood when you walk on them though.

The painting you can certainly do on your own. Buy a nice brush to do the trim. Quality matters here. I have no opinion on color, but that is a very yellow appt. Anything would be better than the current color.

Keep the curtains. Maybe open them?

You could put up a stainless steel back splash by the stove or tile it in. Whatever you decide on just make sure its easy to clean, doesnt mind heat, and doesnt stain.

I'm fairly handy with mechanical stuff. I fix cars, equipment, build poo poo, weld etc. I'm sure some of those skills would translate to home improvement type stuff but having never really done much of it, I feel like I don't know where to start if I did it on my own.
Motivation is a stumbling block too. Partly because I'm lazy and partly because I work long hours during the week and on weekends I'm tired and not really looking to do more work. So it would be like, paint one wall per month or some lazy rear end bullshit like that. I suppose my lack of experience in home improvement stuff is also contributing to that. Or if I tried to do the floors myself I feel like I would rush, just to say the job was done, but then it would look crappy because of (whatever reason).

The floors are probably laminate of some sort, or like I mentioned above, since my place is the cheapest, budgetest, smallest unit in the building its probably "hardwood floor product" rather than any sort of actual hardwood, or anything approaching good quality.

For the cabinets I was thinking I could just take off all the doors, and bring them to a place and say "make these but out of a less lovely product in similar colour, please drill all holes for hinges, handles etc. in exactly the same spot". Then when I get them back I'd just screw them back on, adjust so they're level, even etc and be done with it. And while the doors were off, I'd take everything out of each cupboard and clean the ever living poo poo out of the insides. Like use an actual cleaning product instead of just wiping them out.

If thats not the most awful idea ever then I feel like thats a good enough solution for me WRT the cupboards in the kitchen. They get to be "new" without breaking the bank, and I'm not trying to flip this place nor make it look like the latest hip, etsy poo poo or whatever.

But on the other hand, as I also mentioned above I have a horrible sense of style, and maybe thats the wackest idea since cutting floor joists to attract :females: