Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

As far as Kaiser goes, I think losing one duel and spiralling down into a self-destructive habit that literally gets him killed counts as "wack-rear end poo poo".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZy0C6wK0wI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yeah but that's compelling wack-rear end-poo poo.

Also I love that video. I'm sad she didn't watch 5D's because her GX and Arc-V videos are perfect.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 17, 2022

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Paradox is coming to duel links

https://twitter.com/morningmoonmeme/status/1515883277135011841

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also Go Rush is good so far and if you liked Sevens you should try and track it down if you haven’t already

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I like both Manjoumes. The anime version has some really low lows though, when the series just decides to make him an absolute joke in spite of him apparently being a top-tier duelist, but also it has moments where it uses both aspects effectively and he's definitely charismatic. Ultimately he just suffers from The Anime Problem (except Sevens) where you're either the protagonist or useless though, and GX is really bad about it too. Meanwhile, the manga version is a bit more bland but his competence is actually shown, not just implied, and his character arc is short but effective.

Also yes, Go Rush is good. It's definitely following the Sevens style which I like. I do wish we got away from tutorials though, the series is being a lot more heavy-handed on showing people how to play than any before to the point that it feels a bit ridiculous how slowly it's going. I haven't watched this week's episode yet though, maybe being a Yuamu ep means we're finally out of it but spells, traps and monster effects (nevermind more complex stuff like Maximums and Fusions) haven't come up yet so I doubt it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Thunder being an absolute joke but also being a threat is 100% his character though. His duel spirits and signature monsters are the Ojamas.

That's the bit. He's a walking Ojama Delta Hurricane

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

I like both Manjoumes. The anime version has some really low lows though, when the series just decides to make him an absolute joke in spite of him apparently being a top-tier duelist, but also it has moments where it uses both aspects effectively and he's definitely charismatic. Ultimately he just suffers from The Anime Problem (except Sevens) where you're either the protagonist or useless though, and GX is really bad about it too. Meanwhile, the manga version is a bit more bland but his competence is actually shown, not just implied, and his character arc is short but effective.

Also yes, Go Rush is good. It's definitely following the Sevens style which I like. I do wish we got away from tutorials though, the series is being a lot more heavy-handed on showing people how to play than any before to the point that it feels a bit ridiculous how slowly it's going. I haven't watched this week's episode yet though, maybe being a Yuamu ep means we're finally out of it but spells, traps and monster effects (nevermind more complex stuff like Maximums and Fusions) haven't come up yet so I doubt it.

Spells and effects came up in the most recent episode at least but yeah, we’re still in tutorial town at the moment (also Yuamu is thankfully a competent duelist so hopefully the Sevens philosophy of not treating the female characters as any less than the male ones still holds true in this series)

So far it seems less spacefaring adventures as I originally assumed from the poster and more Men in Black with card games but I’m fine with that honestly

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 18, 2022

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Thunder being an absolute joke but also being a threat is 100% his character though. His duel spirits and signature monsters are the Ojamas.

That's the bit. He's a walking Ojama Delta Hurricane

I dont have a problem with that, I have a problem with him being built up as the deuteragonist for the first season and then getting like 3 duels, most of which he loses in the last 100 episodes of the series.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

My whole problem with manga Chazz is that there's just nothing interesting about him. They stripped out all of his personality and made him just another generic serious rival type. It doesn't help that he has one of the most generic decks in the entire franchise.

Oooh, dragon spam with no real theme or connecting thread to your monsters, how interesting and unique.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Which series of god monsters was more disappointing, the wicked gods, the sacred beasts or the legendary planets?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Legendary planets?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Dabir posted:

Which series of god monsters was more disappointing, the wicked gods, the sacred beasts or the legendary planets?

The Wicked Gods, if only because R is so utterly forgettable.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

Legendary planets?

Yeah The Tyrant Neptune has nine idiot siblings. The Tripper Mercury, Splendid Venus, Elemental HERO Terra Firma, The Blazing Mars, The Grand Jupiter, The Big Saturn, The Despair Uranus, The Suppression Pluto and The Supremacy Sun.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Dabir posted:

The Planets suck rear end but at least they were never compared directly to the God cards, who are all actually cool and interesting.

Of the lame god retreads, the Wicked Gods are probably worse. The Sangenma are......fine? They have decent designs and they have unique identities outside of being God retreads. At least Uria and Hamon do, Ravioli Ravioli Give Me The Formuoli is just a big demon dude with a lame token effect.

Also Armityle is goofy as gently caress and that's fun.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
I never really liked that the Sacred Beasts were just the God Cards... Again! in terms of visuals and plot reverence

And the Planet series aren't good cards, but there was usually a theme built around them instead of just being big guys. I would love to see the terrible legacy support to try get them all to function together.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

MJeff posted:

I dont have a problem with that, I have a problem with him being built up as the deuteragonist for the first season and then getting like 3 duels, most of which he loses in the last 100 episodes of the series.

GX shifts the secondary protag slot around a lot. He's just part of the crew. That you're hanging out with in the schoolyard.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Dabir posted:

Yeah The Tyrant Neptune has nine idiot siblings. The Tripper Mercury, Splendid Venus, Elemental HERO Terra Firma, The Blazing Mars, The Grand Jupiter, The Big Saturn, The Despair Uranus, The Suppression Pluto and The Supremacy Sun.

Mods, you know what you must do.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Iserlohn posted:

I never really liked that the Sacred Beasts were just the God Cards... Again! in terms of visuals and plot reverence

And the Planet series aren't good cards, but there was usually a theme built around them instead of just being big guys. I would love to see the terrible legacy support to try get them all to function together.

Lol the only synergy the planets have is that Jupiter sucks and Saturn blows

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

Spells and effects came up in the most recent episode at least but yeah, we’re still in tutorial town at the moment (also Yuamu is thankfully a competent duelist so hopefully the Sevens philosophy of not treating the female characters as any less than the male ones still holds true in this series)

So far it seems less spacefaring adventures as I originally assumed from the poster and more Men in Black with card games but I’m fine with that honestly

Okay, I watched it now and yeah, Yuamu's cool. She's been the coolest so far but I'm glad she's cool in duels as well. Her deck is funny too, also Burst Streaming of Destruction is hilarious.

Also this episode gives the most important lesson in YGO: the only LP that matters is the last. I'm glad the tutorials, long as they have been, at least go into something other than very basic rulings.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Dabir posted:

I love the Planets but goddamn does Terra Firma gently caress the whole thing up.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Well it was just Elemental Hero THE EARTH originally.

The localization of this franchise has never not been a crime and you're all complicit every time you say Chazz or Joey or whatever.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

MJeff posted:

Well it was just Elemental Hero THE EARTH originally.

Even still the Elemental HERO bit fucks things up even more than changing The Earth to Terra Firma.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

Vandar posted:

I love the Planets but goddamn does Terra Firma gently caress the whole thing up.

And they also refuse to fix The Splendid Venus's missing The.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Vandar posted:

Even still the Elemental HERO bit fucks things up even more than changing The Earth to Terra Firma.

Hard disagree. If more of the Planets had been in established archetypes it would've been cool and maybe some of them would've been playable.

Not that that helped The Earth.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Well yeah, but having just *one* of them in an archetype while the others aren't fucks with the entire theme as it is now.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I think it works as Earth, being our home and mother planet, has taken on some of our own hopes and desires and dreams in order to protect us, becoming a HERO who is an Elemental for the world itself.

Some sort of...Elemental HERO as it were.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I love these cheating shitposts of Duelist Kingdom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89nNLoOVRpY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZs_QUHps30

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Huh, a YGO episode that didn’t feature an actual duel at some point. I forget, aside from clip shows has this ever happened before?

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

the dragias curry episode of sevens didn't feature a duel, and dm had a fair few that didn't (the museum "date", almost all of the world of memories)

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Larryb posted:

Huh, a YGO episode that didn’t feature an actual duel at some point. I forget, aside from clip shows has this ever happened before?

The first episode of Vrains

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

VRAINS actually had a bunch early on.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Skeleton Mom posted:

the dragias curry episode of sevens didn't feature a duel, and dm had a fair few that didn't (the museum "date", almost all of the world of memories)

The museum date had the duel against JOHNNY STEPS.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

VRAINS actually had a bunch early on.

Proof of VRAINS incompetence

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SEVENS will finally be getting a dub starting June 6th:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2022-05-19/yu-gi-oh-sevens-anime-debuts-on-disney-xd-hulu-in-u.s-in-june/.185819

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Well, for those that weren't happy about Sevens having no stakes, Go Rush has fixed that very early in its run. I wondered how Zwijo planned to use Rush Duels for war, and I got my answer. Yuuhi's Earthdamar can turn monsters real, and what that means was shown pretty quickly with Yuudias just getting plastered against a wall in an attack that wasn't even part of the duel itself. Not only that, but the Earthdamar seems to drive the people it infects mad and makes them obsessed with summoning their ace monster so it can be materialized, then drains their life force to make it happen. It's pretty terrifying all things considered. Meeeg-chan still had her furry Sailor Moon personality, but what if it affected a significantly more evil monster? There'd be no way to just vanquish them in a duel as they can just go for the actual kill while ignoring the card game entirely.

Also, Yuuhi finding his Earthdamar gross ended up not being just a gag, he has a terrible reaction any time it's close. It makes me wonder even more just what the hell's up with him, that's not a human being's power. Is he also an alien? Did Yuuga get together with an alien while he was off-Earth?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The first 20 episodes of the Sevens dub are now up on Hulu, anybody check it out yet out of curiosity?

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

I've watched up to the end of the Roa arc, and I'd have to say it's actually really good. That may be just because Sevens is already a good show that the dubbers are more comfortable writing comedy like GX. Not seeing many edits but it's been a while since I went back and watched early Sevens. Only one I noticed was a scene of Mimi getting drunk at a bar was cut. Surprising amount of Japanese text is kept, but that's in mostly in places where it would fit like Sogetsu dojo and the ramen place. A few side characters are given Ace Attorney tier names (newspaper club leader being renamed Scoop Pitman, the washing guy renamed to Buff Grimes, etc.). A lot of untranslatable puns are replaced with jokes that are pretty fitting, though the writers were clearly having trouble coming up with enough for episode with the creepy ghost kid. They also really nailed Luke's character perfectly. It works because making dumb puns and yelling stupid/obvious statements are both completely in character for him.

Voice actors are the same ones from the game, a mix of LA and NY actors. Of the important characters, Yuga, Roa, Otes and Saburamen are from LA while Luke, Romin, Gavin(Gakuto), and Kaizo are from NY. All are decent. Of the main 4 protags I'd have to say the weakest was Yuga. Dude acts great when he's speaking normally but anytime he has to speak loudly he gets way too high-pitched (and unfortunately that's almost any time he Duels). Luke and Romin took to their characters instantly and didn't need to feel out their roles. Gakuto's voice is... odd. He's a lot less uptight than I expected. He did grow on me in the end, but there's the occasional odd delivery. A big problem with the acting though is the minor characters. For the last few series when they needed to cast for a one-off or a character with low screentime they just got one of their vets like Darren Dunstan, Wayne Grayson or Marc Thompson to play the part because they've been at it for so long they can find the character's voice almost instantly. For a main character they'd cast a newcomer or someone with less experience so they can have more time to get into it. I suspect for Sevens they're trying not to reuse actors since their pool is now larger, and that leads to a lot of characters of the day sounding not as good as the main cast. The worst performance has to be the newspaper dude. It's the only one I've heard so far that i'd call genuinely bad. It's not that they're putting on a stupid or annoying voice (that would honestly be an improvement) but that they're obviously an amateur and can't act at all.

Out of the 13 episodes I've watched, I'd say the best would have to be episodes 2 (luke's first focus episode), 4 (the student council pres episode) and 6 (the ramen duel). Worst is definitely 5 (the newspaper club ep) but I remember that episode sucking in the original japanese anyway.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I presume it is the same or close enough to the cast for the recently released (and slow as hell) Console game. Because they did I'm behind you guy dirty.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So I take it from the above post there aren’t that many name changes in the dub then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Still reeling that they named a character in Arc-V ‘Dipper O’Rion’.