Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I remember when WB postponed one of the Harry Potter movies because The Dark Knight made all the money. Didn't want two huge blockbusters in one fiscal year, and thought postponing Potter would help their financial line the next year.

Sony's probably thinking the same thing after No Way Home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Depending on when Sony starts its fiscal year that might've already been the case.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/MarvelStudios/status/1516842293549961217

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was thinking about one of my favorite bits in Batman Returns when Batman rips of hiss mask and Walken goes "Bruce Wayne? Why are you dressed like Batman?" and Catwoman rolls her eyes and goes "Because he is Batman, dumbass".

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

So I’m watching The Batman. I didn’t really pay much attention to the hype or release or anything. Why’s it streaming so early after it’s release? Is this the new compromise between theater only and streaming? Like give it enough time in theaters and then capitalize on the buzz for people who aren’t gonna bother going out to see it? Or something else?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

WB owns HBOmax, and they are offering early streaming on all their in-house movies. Disney does the same thing with Disney+ (But not Spider-man because that’s Sony).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

STAC Goat posted:

So I’m watching The Batman. I didn’t really pay much attention to the hype or release or anything. Why’s it streaming so early after it’s release? Is this the new compromise between theater only and streaming? Like give it enough time in theaters and then capitalize on the buzz for people who aren’t gonna bother going out to see it? Or something else?
That's just their new policy, that the film goes up on HBO Max 45 days after theatrical release. I don't think that's really hurting anyone on the theater side by that point for all but a handful of films.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

FlamingLiberal posted:

That's just their new policy, that the film goes up on HBO Max 45 days after theatrical release. I don't think that's really hurting anyone on the theater side by that point for all but a handful of films.

The longer a movie is in a theatre the more the theatre gets in box office sales, so by having the movie appear so quickly on streaming means that the studios get a whole wad of box office sales from the first few weeks and the theatre in theory doesn't get much afterwards. Not to say that many movies have a shelf life of a month or longer but it does seems a bit petty.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don’t know how I feel about The Batman. It felt like it was trying to tell a truer film noir detective story and I appreciate that. I think the length just did me in. I feel like I need to rewatch the last half hour. I got everything but I was pretty tapped out. I liked the last hour or so more than the first hour or so. It felt like it moved real slow and I didn’t have a great sense of Batman/Bruce or Alfred. Riddler also felt disconnected and not very there for me. That all kind of pays off and I think it does come together in the end. But drat it’s a long time to get there.

Like it felt like a very long, methodical, intentional build and I get that. I just think it pulled me to my limits and I wasn’t all there when the movie needed me to be. I thought Kravitz was very good and Selina feels more realized. There’s not really anyone I think did a bad job and there’s lots I like. But I dunno. I felt that length and I was exhausted by the time things really got going.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/IndieWire/status/1517299645449269248

Say you're subtweeting Jared Leto without saying it.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
That I think is talking about Shia Lebouf. I remember hearing he annoyed everyone on the set of Fury because of things like not bathing for a very very long time.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Dawgstar posted:

https://twitter.com/IndieWire/status/1517299645449269248

Say you're subtweeting Jared Leto without saying it.

not subtweet related but this was linked on Twitter today and it's the first time I've seen him not in a role

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3EYdSVGPL0

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

site posted:

not subtweet related but this was linked on Twitter today and it's the first time I've seen him not in a role

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3EYdSVGPL0

I really kind of hope that he misspoke when he first talks about how his daughter is the best thing in his life, and then later mentions the birth of his kids, plural.

Otherwise I really enjoyed this because I only know Berenthal from Punisher and it's great to see him be a grapefruit loving dork of a happy family man.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CzarChasm posted:

a grapefruit loving dork of a happy family man.

With a voice like a large diesel engine.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

CzarChasm posted:

I really kind of hope that he misspoke when he first talks about how his daughter is the best thing in his life, and then later mentions the birth of his kids, plural.

He has three kids, actually. His two sons are both older than his daughter.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah you definitely come away with the impression that Pattinson is still figuring things out

He makes a lot of mistakes throughout the movie but he mostly learns from them

This is one thing I liked a lot. Movie Batman is usually the loving Terminator, whereas my favorite comic storylines, he ends up getting the poo poo kicked out of him frequently

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I want a Batman with his family, and the family can be the part of the team that's still learning. I don't believe Batman and Robin was so bad that all live action movies would actively avoid any depiction of Robin for 25 years. JGL turning to the camera in the last scene and saying "My name is Robin" doesn't count. (That's not exactly how it happened, but it's exactly how I remember it)

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
If there is going to be a sequel they need to really steer away from (like it was said above) him becoming the terminator and being all knowing and infallible,make him a better batman who’s actually learned things from the last movie yeah but still let him get his arse kicked and make mistakes just in different ways.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

also, more Alfred. Didn't think I'd be kind of disappointed at having less Alfred than usual but here I am.

Also, I'm really loving glad there were as few gadgets as there were. Kind of tired of James Bond levels of "hold on, I have this doodad made specifically for this plot point"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Also, I'm really loving glad there were as few gadgets as there were. Kind of tired of James Bond levels of "hold on, I have this doodad made specifically for this plot point"

But that is basically what Batman did. The good thing about how Bond stories do it is show you at the start what Q is giving Bond for the mission and then it has to play a part somehow by the end of the film. He may like Walthers but his favourite Guns are Chekhov's.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Lobok posted:

He may like Walthers but his favourite Guns are Chekhov's.

... and Colts. And Brownings. :v:

https://twitter.com/trevorbaxendale/status/1517130479836803072?s=20&t=JaOINE8UbTTm6jFFENNhtA

Also

https://twitter.com/CorridorDigital/status/1518146027550773248?s=20&t=JaOINE8UbTTm6jFFENNhtA

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Same,and the fact that they didn’t work all the time (wingsuit,venom sent him berserker mode,)

I just wish the armour was leaned on less (hallway dark fight versus him getting shotgun blasted and it totally loving him up)

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I watched The Batman in 30-45 chunks. There are some great visuals, amazing action sequences, and the intro to Gotham is really cool (this is a live action batman who works by fear!). And the acting was great from everybody, I like the view of the Penguin as kinda a mook and HUSH in the Ridler‘s video flashed in big letters.

I can’t imagine watching it all at once. Feels like an entire additional movie after the Falcone saga resolved.

I feel like the Riddler got super lucky that everyone was incompetent. The DA who got super drunk and had no security after two murders within the criminal conspiracy he knew about, Alfred opening mail with the killer‘s handwriting that Alfred had seen repeatedly...

There is also some stuff that felt extraneous or weird. The Riddler never could’ve sniped the guy who spends all his time in a room with multiple bay windows. The cops hate Batman, except when he arrests Falcone and a dirty officer*. The Riddler has an evil scheme which goes perfectly, but Batman calls him a douchebag and he goes into an embarrassing rage^.

^It feels vestigial that the Riddler wanted to be arrested as part of his plan. It would’ve worked whether or not he went to prison. That’s still preferable to him being caught as part of his plan, which we’ve been seeing for a decade now in major action movies. But knowing what we know about the police force, it makes no sense that he isn’t brutalized by the time we see him in Arkham.

*By having everybody yell at Batman for being rich and Catwoman, the tritagonist, leave the movie in order to kill people for being rich, it felt like the movie had a lot to say about capitalism. Mostly that poor people hate it! Despite a ton of rich characters, you never see them enjoying anything, even the 40 below bar seems dark and sedate rather than lecherous and morally decayed.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Golden Bee posted:

But knowing what we know about the police force, it makes no sense that he isn’t brutalized by the time we see him in Arkham.

Gotham City is a dystopian hellhole where all the cops (minus Gordon) are dirty and yet simultaneously, every criminal (especially named costumed rogues) manage to make it to prison/Arkham unbrutalized.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That’s why all Batman’s villains are white. Any one who isn’t never lasts long enough to get a name.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
^^^^^ok no it's this Eh, maybe he had broken ribs or something.

My question is why did he go straight to Arkham? Shouldn't he have been locked up in county awaiting trial before pleading insanity?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Eh, maybe he had broken ribs or something.

My question is why did he go straight to Arkham? Shouldn't he have been locked up in county awaiting trial before pleading insanity?

This is the kind of question that breaks literally every Batman story ever told wide open

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Under Gotham law you're insane until proven otherwise.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Batman stories fall apart when you compare them to the American reality of executing anybody for pretty much any contrived reason regardless of their mental fitness, age, or even likelihood of having committed the crime in question.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/erikdavis/status/1518778993666781184?s=21&t=1sadJ-aB1tNT1uXpRI_QDg

Sony you crazy fucks I’m in.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Bad Bunny is an incredibly quick study in terms of wrestling. And Sony can make the movie because there’s a picture of the character with Spider-Man

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Clearly a prequel for Into the El Muerto-verse, 2027

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

If nothing else I admire Sony for seeing the response to Morbius and going "Okay, but how about if we do an even more obscure character?" It is the most audacious (in both definitions of the word!) move I could see them doing and they didn't even wait until Morbius was completely out of theaters yet to do it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Is that a recent character or something?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I have no idea if that's real or not and I feel like that says more about Sony than about me.

They did announce Venom 3 today as well, though that's not too surprising.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
this feels like a troll and yet I've read it on two different articles

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

Is that a recent character or something?

It looks like he first appeared in 2006 and then... I have no loving clue. Marvel's own website has only three paragraphs about the guy and it sounds like the character hasn't been used after that one story.

Something I find slightly amusing; There isn't even a Wikipedia entry for this character, but there IS one for a comic book character of the same name that debuted in 1998 from an independent publisher that even had its own movie adaptation in 2007, which is apparently well-received.

So searching up things like "El Muerto," or "El Muerto Wiki" or "El Muerto Comics" or "El Muerto Movie" all bring up this other property as the top results.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

site posted:

this feels like a troll and yet I've read it on two different articles

Yeah my brain cannot process this as real

LennyBriscoCountyJr
Oct 20, 2005

TwoPair posted:

If nothing else I admire Sony for seeing the response to Morbius and going "Okay, but how about if we do an even more obscure character?" It is the most audacious (in both definitions of the word!) move I could see them doing and they didn't even wait until Morbius was completely out of theaters yet to do it.

Now we just wait for the "Dave Chapelle as Ace Spencer in Ace: A Spider-Man Story" announcement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Sony just announced Ted Danson will play Steven "Skip" Westcott in a stand-alone film.